Nintendo E3 2011 Keynote

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joystiq has good coverage of Nintendo's E3 keynote. Obviously the big news is the new HD console and the tablet looking controller thingy. Kinda cool but, just look at that thing, the controller is almost as big as the console! :D

i think its a good step forward the small screen on the controller gives you game information that would otherwise be muddled up on screen

Controller seems nice and I like how all previous Wii controllers and accessories will work with the new system but I'm not looking foward to seeing the price tag.

F That controller...

I want a controller, not a netbook. The 360 controller is already pushing too big. Looks like I will continue using my wavebird.

seem like a good idea. Though the controller is massive, like the size of a ipad or tablet. I don't know how comfortable it would be for long term gaming.

i dont know, i dont think i want to look at my controller while i play. i have a G15 keyboard and the LCD is useless in games for me because i dont look down. i dont want to have to look off the screen to see how much ammo i have or to look at a map. not to mention just one more thing game makers will have to make unique to the wii that other controllers wont have.

i see it as being used as the primary gaming screen for most things when the TV is already being used.

The controller doesn't look like it would be comfortable for any longterm use. I could see putting something like a 3.5 screen realtime menus in games or maps but not that huge thing.

Like some of you above, I don't like that controller, but for a reason I haven't seen anyone mention yet: cost and replacement. I miss the time when you could pick up a new PS2 controller for $20. Anyone wanna take a guess at the price for a Wii U controller? I bet at least $80. They keep adding more complexity into things that have physical interaction, and one of the things I used to like about game console controllers was how simple and replaceable they were.

IDK, call me old-fashioned. :p

Outside of RPGs who wants to have to go back and forth looking from one screen to the next? The controller just doesn't seem practical for any other genre.

Outside of RPGs who wants to have to go back and forth looking from one screen to the next? The controller just doesn't seem practical for any other genre.

I would like to call my plays from it in Madden. I don't need a 6" screen though.

Like some of you above, I don't like that controller, but for a reason I haven't seen anyone mention yet: cost and replacement. I miss the time when you could pick up a new PS2 controller for $20. Anyone wanna take a guess at the price for a Wii U controller? I bet at least $80. They keep adding more complexity into things that have physical interaction, and one of the things I used to like about game console controllers was how simple and replaceable they were.

IDK, call me old-fashioned. :p

I share your price concern and did mention it in post #3. The good thing though is that you don't need to use the new controller's for the new system.

I share your price concern and did mention it in post #3. The good thing though is that you don't need to use the new controller's for the new system.

Oh, I hadn't read this part yet. Thanks! :D

Looks to bulky for any kind of long term gaming sessions, I say we just say F@ck it an bring back the Power glove.

As a developer that probably isn't an idea situation. Now I have to program my game to work with a variety of controls and their limitations. Which also limits the functionality of hte new control as it isn't the baseline for game design choices.

Dreamcast did a few neat things with that little LCD screen on their controller. Sonic Shuffle (pretty much Mario Party) you could play cards only you could see. So you could surprise your friends with something.

It could work for other card games like Poker and Uno too. I'm sure Nintendo has a few inventive ideas in their head.

Anyone noticed that they never showed "2" of those controllers together in the demo? So are you limited to just 1 controller and everyone else using the wiimote?

Anyone remember the Dreamcast controller? This is pretty similar to it. Most likely, a gaming console of its own. Probably Nintendo's way to combat iPhones and Android devices. Probably a way to replace the failing 3DS.

Definitely "Meh" for me.
But then again I didn't get a wii, so I'm not their target audience.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a gaming console for its feature to allow me to play it on the dinky 6" screen... but I can see how it would appeal to families that want to kick Timmy off the TV so they can watch the Jersey Shore.

It's a little big for a status screen and just looks unwieldy to hold... and laying it down on the floor to "play golf"... asking for it to be stepped on... hope that case is really rigid.

It's not for me, and I can't understand it... but then again I didn't see the point of the Wii balance board for $100 (or even for free)... and it sold like hotcakes. I just don't know... but definitely I won't be getting one.

I think the design will turn out fine for handling. It's unlike the original xbox, where the button spacing and placement was so awkward that people with smaller hands had to shift their hands around to reach some buttons. It'll probably handle like the DS, but with hands a little farther apart. Nintendo controllers/handhelds tend to be more aware of these things.

I think it went well, and will buy a wii u later. I don't think it looks all that big.

Has anyone thought during the Aliens trailer how awesome it would be to play an atmospheric aliens game where the controller is the tracker?

"Somethings wrong...they should be right there....<looks at the roof>" ala Aliens....

anyone know if it'll have Blu-ray movie support seeing how it's HD?

It's not for me, and I can't understand it... but then again I didn't see the point of the Wii balance board for $100 (or even for free)... and it sold like hotcakes. I just don't know... but definitely I won't be getting one.

The balance board was almost worth the price just for use with the Sking/Snowboarding game.

The controller concept has a lot of potential, but it can also be a huge waste. Unless the weeoo comes boxed with one, it's going to cause problems for gamers using their legacy controllers to play. Classic controller, wiimote, and wtf ever they want to call this thing. Don't forget your wii fit board, super weeoo scope, OH and your 3DS link adapter.

Nintendo! You are not Apple! I see what you are trying to do, but I don't think you have the cult following to hock 5-6 mandatory peripherals AND a portable console just to play pokemon. Well... then again, it's pokemon... MOMMY BUY IT
I'm not too worried about the

... you news posts and your lack of editing *fist shake*

I'm not worried about the build quality. The controller is probably made of nintendonium. The super nintendo that fell down a ravine and still worked. I've seen a game boy color get run over by an RV and still work. Let's not forget Wiimote vs TV.

Did anyone else play any of the Gamecube games that used a GBA as a second screen? Done well it was great.

My prediction is this: Nintendo will use the controller really well and make awesome games that properly use it. 3rd parties will badly shoehorn its use into their games and it will be crap. Just like the Wii.

I already mailed Nintendo my blank check.

Also, how long before the controller is hacked and we are all using it on our PCs.

Anyone remember the Dreamcast controller? This is pretty similar to it. Most likely, a gaming console of its own. Probably Nintendo's way to combat iPhones and Android devices. Probably a way to replace the failing 3DS.

The Dreamcast controller was the best thing ever invented for football games. Calling plays from the VMU screen was amazing for when you have a friend over. Some games made much better use of it than others, but overall I've always sort of wondered why the screen on a controller didn't catch on...outside of the obvious money issue.

This new controller for the WiiU looks pretty interesting though. The only concern I have is that it is absolutely massive. I can't even imagine why they would have opted for a 6" screen when a 3-4" one would have probably worked just as well for the vast majority of things. I wish it was more along the lines of Sony's new Vita in terms of size. I think that would be just about perfect.

anyone know if it'll have Blu-ray movie support seeing how it's HD?

Pretty doubtful.

Blu-Ray would mean that nintendo would have to pay royalties and would mean a higher cost. There is a reason why the Wii can't play regular dvd movies by itself.

Btw am i the only one who got pissed off that they wont release the specs of the actual console until tomorrow at the earliest? it was all about the controller, while some games where obviously not running on current Wii hardware and only the EA guy dared to mention that it was a new console, apart of the controller.

As much as I hate Gamespot, they seem to have the best write up of what is known about the new console. Link to the article.

Highlights:
- games are on a proprietary discs similar in size to dvds (not blu-ray)
- system outputs at 1080p via HDMI
- console can stream video to the controller, so entire games can be played on the controller while the t.v. is on a completely different channel.
- backward compatible with Wii games (GC not mentioned)
- original Wii accessories are compatible, including controllers
- controllers screen appears to have a similar resolution to smart phones (not HD)
- controller has motion sensitivity on par with Wii motion plus
- controller has a built in camera and speakers (and headphone jack)
- touch screen is likely based resistive touch
-

Actually, I'm slightly excited now for Wii U, which is more than I can say about my feelings for it yesterday. Nintendo has a great chance here, but I was afraid they really were gonna mess it up. The main things imo are:

1 Graphics- several times more powerful than xbox/ps3
Not sure, but 3rd party games like metro 2033 make me hopefull

2 Good screen use/size/ergonomics
Seems good for me (idk how a kid is gonna use a controller that big)

3 Third party Support
Lots of that announced today

4 Price
Can be more expensive than wii, but I don't wanna pay $600+

5 Eyefinity support
This is gonna make or break the Wii U, jk.

Also, how long before the controller is hacked and we are all using it on our PCs.

Depending on the resolution/price this might actually be worthwhile. I wish games would create software to let you inventory manage on a touch screen haha.

Do you remember the Atari Jaguar controller?

Looks good to me. When someones watching tv you can play your console games on that. You only have to buy one game and not worry about your girl watching housewives or some shit. If it has a good range I may be sold.

Would be nice if they incorporate my 3DS into it. I don't exactly hate my 3DS, but it's light on decent games at the moment. Time will fix that though. I had a PSP when it was still ver 1.4/1.5 firmware and they had a very light game library - see where they are now.

Yes, that WiiU controller seems too big - should be 4" screen similar to a phone, but think of the possibilities. Picking Madden plays without your friend seeing them seems like a big plus to me, and it's too bad you'll never see CoD or BF on the Wii, otherwise using it as a scope would have been pretty awesome. BOOM headshot.

Back