Nibbler cutting tool - Is this it?

Yes, that is indeed a nibbler. Keep in mind that it only bites a small chunk of metal at a time, so it'll take you a while to cut anything of significant size...

It will basically be a 5cm x 10cm hole within the case for improved cable management. How is it on cornering?

Nibblers are great for doing sharp corners. You simply nibble to the end of one side of the box, then turn the nibbler 90 degrees, and start on the next side.

How would a nibbler be for cutting out the hole for a Radgrill? I've been thinking of picking one up for this purpose.

Square or rectangle, great but slow. Curved or circle, lots of filing afterwards, not worth it IMO.

Square or rectangle, great but slow. Curved or circle, lots of filing afterwards, not worth it IMO.

Is it real easy to get a straight edge, or are there going to be lots of jaggies? I've been looking through worklogs looking for pictures of the kind of hole it makes, but I can't seem to find any.

If you want to make a hole for a fan get a 4 1/2" hole saw. Works great.

Also, tracing the outside of CD/DVD is the exact size of a 120mm fan hole.
Actually, you'll want to cut it just a little smaller than the size of the CD, in order to account for the frame on the fan.

I don't know if it is still done, but everyone used to use rubber channel molding over the edges of the hole to make it nicer and look rounder.

Last edited:
I have one of these, they are Great
I use them when people bring in their "clam shell" dell's with the strange psu that is not standard.
I use that cut out the opening of the psu. Great tool

Essential case modding tools:
- nibbler
- rotary tool
- drill and drill bits
- hole saws
- files
- various screw drivers and bits

You can do A LOT with just those fairly inexpensive things.

Essential case modding tools:
- nibbler
- rotary tool
- drill and drill bits
- hole saws
- files
- various screw drivers and bits

You can do A LOT with just those fairly inexpensive things.

id like to add either a tap or rivet gun and rivets to that list. definitely want to be able to put it back together once youve cut your mod!

i assume the one that defex posted would be easier to use because it is like cutting with scissors. with a nibbler you are cutting directly perpendicular to the surface. i wouldnt go with the pneumatic one though. i havent used one but it seems like it wouldnt be as controllable and wouldnt give as clean a cut.

If you're going to use this for anything more than 30 or so nibbles (i.e. larger than 1 small fan hole) I suggest wearing gloves like gardening gloves or your hands will start to get very nasty bruises and feel like tenderized meat.

Assuming you've never done work with your hands ever in your life. Calluses ftw.

Back