NHL 10

CyberJunk

Supreme [H]ardness
The ea site has been up now ! Who here is excited ? NHL 09 was awesome i still play it and love it but 10 looks amazing !!!!

I still play NHL09 as well, really looking forward to NHL10. I'm interested to see what they do with the EASHL/OTP, hopefully they take it to the next level.

I still play NHL 09 almost every day.

The glitches and exploits in the game really ruined the online experience (moreso on the 360 than the PS3, but both have common issues as well). I'm not terribly excited for board battles, scrums, or first person fighting... but the new passing mechanics should make things interesting.

I'm not terribly excited for board battles, scrums, or first person fighting.. Really ?!?!?
I thought that was what was missing from 09

I could live without first person fighting, but I like the fact that the board play will be better. Also one timers off loose pucks is great, it used to be in the 2K games a while back and it surprised me that it was missing in NHL09.

Online is still fine for me, I play D and know what to look for as far as the cheese goals. Sure I'll play too deep once in a while and give up a curve shot goal, but it happens maybe 1 in 5 or 10 games now. Thanks to the free hit zone in front of the net, cross-crease one-timers aren't much of a problem.

I'm quite happy the old game received the two patches that it did. It surprised me for an EA console game and it is good to see the developers care about balance after launch.

I have both NHL 09 and NHL 2K9 for the PS3

Be a Pro in 09 is excellent. But the AI in 09 is pure crap.
2k9 is slightly more arcad-ish, but the team AI was much more effective.

2K had horrible support and is a very broken game in terms of crashing, for this reason Ill go NHL10 and pickup 2k10 when I see it in a used bin.

I'm not terribly excited for board battles, scrums, or first person fighting.. Really ?!?!?
I thought that was what was missing from 09

Scrums after the whistle might be cool in offline play, but they'll just make online games take longer.

Board battles are definitely part of hockey, but I get this sneaking suspicion that they're going to happen far too often (since they're touted as one of the big new features) and significantly slow down the pace of the game.

NHL 2k10 is coming out for the PC (with next-gen graphics!!!!) so, in as bad as that game will likely be, I'm still going to buy it in addition to NHL 10 for my 360.

Scrums after the whistle might be cool in offline play, but they'll just make online games take longer.

Board battles are definitely part of hockey, but I get this sneaking suspicion that they're going to happen far too often (since they're touted as one of the big new features) and significantly slow down the pace of the game.

NHL 2k10 is coming out for the PC (with next-gen graphics!!!!) so, in as bad as that game will likely be, I'm still going to buy it in addition to NHL 10 for my 360.

board play is needed. The ai in 09 CANNOT dump and play along the boards, behind the net or along the boards.

Can't wait for '10. Maybe I'll actually get good this year. :p

I'm honestly not even bothering with offline BAP this year. It's all EASHL or nothing.

Last edited:
I'll be jumping on EASHL/Online Team Play day one as well. If they keep the rankings the same, then I want to get to at least superstar as quick as possible so I don't have an uphill climb like we did in 09.

I wonder if there will be enough interest for a [H]ard team again this year.

Don't mean to bump and old thread, but those of you planning to buy this game might want to pre-order it. Looks like those that pre-order will get equipment unlocked that adds bonus point to online play:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73760

Gamestop said:
Reserve NHL 10 and get the in-game Kane-Bauer Boost Pack. In-game boost pack Contains: Patrick Kane’s Authentic Bauer Gloves, Skates and Stick. Plus a 9 point boost for your be a pro or EASHL Player. While supplies last.

Also I guess they are doing away with the online cards such as superstar/legend and handling points through equipment this year. The equipment may be available fairly easy after launch, but if you're buying it anyway might as well get the bonus.

Last edited:
but will the bonus Kane items allow me to beat up taxi drivers?

I will be getting NHL10, maybe then I will play again.. I sold my NHL09 wayy to early.. I'm itching for an NHL game damnit!

i am waiting for a good trade in deal towards nhl 10 or i might sell it to someone here if anyone wants to make me an offer ?

Ebgames had an insanely high trade-in value for 09 around the time the playoffs started. I think the game is really cheap new currently, so I wouldn't expect very good value for NHL 09 any more. I just kept mine and have been playing it almost weekly still, can't wait for EASHL and 10. I guess they're going to reset the league monthly and have a champion for each month.. should be fun!

Hopefully PS3's abysmal microphone support will be cleaned up in this years version.

This is the crew at EA that deserves nothing but props and love for what they do for this series every year. I sorely wish they handled the football games as well. Hats off to this bunch. This series is an example of how all sports games can and should be handled.

This is the crew at EA that deserves nothing but props and love for what they do for this series every year. I sorely wish they handled the football games as well. Hats off to this bunch. This series is an example of how all sports games can and should be handled.

This series had its bad years. Though they did take it from something average to something quite incredible.

Personally as much as I want this, I might get NHL2k10 for Wii. Wii motion plus hockey control? Yes please.

i watched in game gameplay videos on youtube of nhl 10
you can actually make plays off the boards and the new transition animations make the game looks more real than nhl 09

I heard NHL 10 demo tommrow for PS3 and Xbox live gold members !!
I just traded in NHL 09 and preorder NHL 10 ! yay!

The demo is great, feels more fluid and a bit slower than 09. Board play fits in well. The first person fighting is better than the 09 system, but I don't care for fighting in general much

demo seems almost exactly the same as 09. Save the money and buy 09 for 5 dollars after the new one comes out.

That's about the worst advice ever. ^^

I haven't played the demo yet, but I'd wager IcedEmotion's thoughts on the demo are accurate. I can't wait to check out the board play, kicking the puck with my skate, making a pass while falling and the first-person fighting. Gotta wait for the PS3 demo, unfortunately.

The demo is great, feels more fluid and a bit slower than 09. Board play fits in well. The first person fighting is better than the 09 system, but I don't care for fighting in general much

I don't like the scrums after the whistle. I'm the kind of guy that always skips the cutscenes and goes to the faceoff. The extra time they give you between the whistles is kind of annoying.

the game does not play the same as 09

i think they used same engine obviously but there is more animations and alot better game play that equate to the type of stuff you see in a real hockey game

The scrums after the whistle will make for a great online experience. I think the devs should enable cross-team chirping, with the option to mute, after the whistle blows.

I liked most of the changes so far as EA has tweaked some of the issues from the last year. Hats off and will be getting this game for sure!

I liked most of the changes so far as EA has tweaked some of the issues from the last year. Hats off and will be getting this game for sure!

Ya, the game plays like a refined version of 09. So if you didn't like 09 or were expecting something different you'll be disappointed.

I've only played a couple of periods but things that I noticed from last night:

- Puck seems to bounce more around the net, so expect more rebounds off shots from the point
- Tip-in deflections seem to happen more often, I've seen a tip-in goal each game so far
- Passing seems less accurate in certain situations. Harder to pull off a blind cross-crease pass for the one timer.
- One of the cheese goals from 09 that was patched out seems to have returned. If you skate at the goalie at an angle or parallel to the goal line and then deek or stop short they tend to flop leaving the top of the net wide open. Hopefuly this is patched out. Haven't really tested this too much though so maybe it was a fluke.

Don't like the sound of that cheese goal returning... It'll likely be patched out, but how long will we have to put up with it?

Oh well, stronger D I guess.

I did notice the refinements and I would agree that this game plays better than 09 but it's just dissapointing that they don't add in these features with a patch, or like a 20 dollar expansion pack or something. It seems a bit ridiculous to charge a full $60 for minor updates.

nhl 10 as a whole is not a minor update

theseg guys tested game for over a year a need to get paid

Wow this demo was terrible. I haven't played a nhl since NHL 2003 on my PC but this new control scheme is absolutely abysmal. Makes it completely unplayable for me. How do i change them? I see there is a "custom" control setup but it doesn't want to let me change anything. I like the classic control scheme but there is no way to do a speed burst, deke, line change, and a few other critical functions. Am i missing something obvious here? :confused:

Back