NFS: Hot Pursuit

I agree, the rubber-band AI in this game is the worst I've ever seen and I've played every NFS since the first one. I downloaded a trainer that gives me permanent nitrous and even from the start of a race before you build any nitrous, the computer cars activate it and stay in front of me. I've literally done a whole race using nitrous and the computer cars are ahead with the blue flame out the tailpipes the entire time. It's absolutely insane!

yup. its getting stupid. i cant finish my career. i drive a perfect race and never even catch up to the other cars.

Not very impressed with the game. I feel like I am playing some unrealistic arcade racing game at a bowling alley or something.

also the reason i don't feel its worth it to drop $60 on nfs. i'd glady pay $60 for gt5 (i actually bought the CE edition), but can wait for this game to be in the $20 range.

Rubber band definitely goes both ways. I've passed 3-4 cars on the final straightaway sans nitro numerous times. It seems like most of my wins come that way.
Some of my favorite ones have been when I've won races in which my opponent in "Duel" didn't crash a single time and I've been off my best (losing) time by more than 10 seconds.
The AI cars really just boil down to luck.

Are you slipstreaming? Thats how I'm winning just about every race.
Just ride everyones ass, until you pass.
Hit the nitro for more fun.

I like the game, but the lack of option for AA is annoying me. Everything is maxed out, smooth as butter 60fps.

The lack of AA really kills it for me. Awesome, another game made in 2010 without even basic edge smoothing. PC gaming :eek:

Man, I remember the codes in NFSII and III that let you drive crazy cars like UFOs etc.

Well the official patch for quad core processors is out.:D Downloaded it, installed it and still cant play the damned game. Still CTD's before the intro movies. Dammit. Waste of money :mad:

I'm still playing it here and there, but I've grown annoyed with it.
The AI is just plain broken. It just honestly comes down to luck. On at least 2 occasions yesterday my winning time was more than 8 seconds slower than previous losing times. No matter what you do, that guy at the front takes off with a full nitro boost every time and leaves you. No matter how the race is going - you're better off being slightly behind than ahead with a mile to go. If you're ahead, the CPU can nitro past you regardless of your speed...but if you're only about 30 yards behind it's almost like the CPU slams on the brakes.

Lots of the other NFS games have had weird AI, but this is the first time I can remember where I full-on hated it.

I don't know. After putting some time into it and getting it for $22 bucks, I'm really enjoying it now. Sure the rubberband AI is dumb, but online is where it is at. That and taking some beautiful cars and just drive....seriously, if you haven't, do the free drive. The only thing I don't like is the fact that we can't add our own custom music, where the consoles can and no AA. This is unheard of EA, I don't want jaggies on my $100,000.00 car!

Turn down the in game soundtrack + load up Winamp or whatever music player you like in the background = win

Other than that. I mean, we get the consoles crappy ports, but we don't even get this feature? Hell, we don't even have in game chat for the lobbies ;(

@chaikovski2002 - Oh, its a jag-fest. Still no AA.

Other than that. I mean, we get the consoles crappy ports, but we don't even get this feature?

I understand what you mean. I'm so used to games not having custom soundtracks so I don't really think about it. Every PC game should come some sort of custom soundtrack option. Also the PS3 should've been more like the 360 in that regards instead of the game having to support it. Anyway part of why I bought a Logitech G15 keyboard so I could see the song details and control the player without Alt Tabbing out of a game every 5 min.

I like how the patch broke my game. It won't load anymore. I get the Activation thing and it hangs (but doesn't go into Not Responding). Ending the task and running it again just has the game's exe hanging in the processes. I love it.

The best NFS PC game is still Porsche Unleashed!

You ain't lying. I also loved Underground 2. I had a 240SX that could do wheel stands. Most Wanted really pissed me off.

Last edited:
Game is capped at 60 fps. Fine for most LCDs but people with CRTs and 120hz FPS are being limited.

Zero fps dips at 60 fps though, not a demanding title at all. For some reason it looks worse than Shift, which looked very realistic, had AA, no FPS cap, VSYNC option, but buggy as hell whenever cars made contact. I can't believe that a game as modern as Hot Pursuit does not have a tweakable resfreshrate option, or a vsync option, or even AA. What's up with that?

At 60fps, no dip, the game still hunches and stutters at times. Something is definitely wrong when every 10th impact somehow freezes the game for 2 seconds. Not a good port.

One more small complaint that gets on my nerve: I hate having to skip through half a dozen intro to get into the game, and when I need to restart a race, have to wait 15 seconds to skip through all the stupid pre-race intro. Don't these developers get it by now that seeing the same thing for the 1000th time isn't going to please anybody?

One more small complaint that gets on my nerve: I hate having to skip through half a dozen intro to get into the game, and when I need to restart a race, have to wait 15 seconds to skip through all the stupid pre-race intro. Don't these developers get it by now that seeing the same thing for the 1000th time isn't going to please anybody?

The pre-race intros are the worst. Nothing can describe my rage every time I see an AWD car do a burnout.

I wonder if their is a file that can be edited to skip that shit? I think its almost faster to actually whatch those stupid intros than skipping..

no, you cant.
the game is loading when its showing the intros. thats why you can only skip it after a few seconds.
i agree about the burningout. silly. how about just some good old 3, 2, 1, GO

Sorry to thread necro, but as the game just became available on Steam I bought it and...I'm disappointed.

• The handling characteristics feel like I'm driving a car through yogurt, and for something this arcade-y that really surprised me. I expected something more fun like what we had in Burnout. Maybe it's because I just came from F1 2010 where the handling characteristics are so different, or I was expecting Burnout: Hot Pursuit, but I'm finding the handling really painful to drive with (particularly this drift mechanic where I find myself over or under shooting the right angle). Very different from other tin-top racers.
  • The rubber-band AI drives me fucking insane! I HATE it when I drive a pretty well flawless race and end up going from 1st to 3rd because the other guys had what appeared to be another 50 bhp and another 50mph on me out of the last corner. I 'get' that this is arcade-y, but I didn't notice the same issues in Burnout or other racers like this. Having a win taken from you through no fault of your own is extremely frustrating.
  • The missions don't exactly have much variety - my favorite by far is taking someone down, but it doesn't have the same brutal feel as it does in other racers, or the sense of fragility in your car. The damage modeling and crashes (which were what I thought would be a real highlight) are limited.
  • The music is pretty obnoxious on the whole.

It just seems to be a missed opportunity, particularly when we've seen what this studio can do.

I'm enjoying this title. I find the driving mechanics to be fairly solid for this type of racing game. Cars are generally well portrayed here for the most part with a few exceptions. The rubber band AI pisses me off too, but that's been a problem in this series for as long as I can remember.

At 60fps, no dip, the game still hunches and stutters at times. Something is definitely wrong when every 10th impact somehow freezes the game for 2 seconds. Not a good port.

Yeah, happens to me too..constant 60 fps but lots of micro-stuttering.
It also looks like crap even with graphics maxed at 1920x1200. Jaggies everywhere and car models look like they're from 5 years ago. Let's not get started on the crappy gameplay itself...indestructable cars that bounce from corner to corner..crashes @ 180 mph that merely slow you down, and complete lack of customization for everything from graphics and AI to controller sensitivity. NFS:HP is a just a waste of money...I rate this POS 3/10 at best.

I got lower fps on Shift, but the graphics were way better, especially on the cars; despite the shitty physics, Shift was still more fun to play. Grid was way better than either.

Yeah, happens to me too..constant 60 fps but lots of micro-stuttering.
It also looks like crap even with graphics maxed at 1920x1200. Jaggies everywhere and car models look like they're from 5 years ago. Let's not get started on the crappy gameplay itself...indestructable cars that bounce from corner to corner..crashes @ 180 mph that merely slow you down, and complete lack of customization for everything from graphics and AI to controller sensitivity. NFS:HP is a just a waste of money...I rate this POS 3/10 at best.

I got lower fps on Shift, but the graphics were way better, especially on the cars; despite the shitty physics, Shift was still more fun to play. Grid was way better than either.

The game looks pretty good at 8100x1600. Though I would like AA support. Car's should be more destructible like they are in Forza 3. Controller sensitivity seems spot on to me, I don't see much of an issue with it. You just have to get used to it. It's not perfect, the free drive mode blows compared to the last several titles. Getting forced to watch all the videos time and time again without skipping bites as well. I'm also not a fan of the lack of vehicle upgrades. You just get new vehicles all the time and they are all pretty much equal. The rubber band AI is also seriously annoying. Overall it's a good racing game, but it's not as good as some of the previous games in the series.

I've never played Grid. I couldn't get the demo to run on my machine and didn't try again or take the chance on the retail version of the game.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having worse performance with CrossfireX enabled? Granted, I'm using MLAA on my 5870s so overall performance will be lower, but I'm seeing higher framerates with CFX disabled (and MLAA on). I'm currently using 10.10e for the MLAA, but I've tried 10.12 also. I've also downloaded the latest CAP from AMD's site.

This game is officially a piece of shit.

Stutters every now and then all over the place, in the most CRITICAL moments. IMO, this is probably due to bad ram management. Every time you restart a race, instead of just using thing already loaded in memory, it reads everything from the hard drive again. All the hitching basically pulls you out of the game a split second, annoying as hell in a game like this.

And what's the deal with the helicopter assist? It's useless at best, and at worse, instead of dropping spike strips in good positions, the cpu cars ALWAYS manage to evade them and you end up eating your own spike strips. Terrible.

I'm not experiencing any technical issues with the game on my sig rig in Surround or my QX9650 480 GTX 4GB backup rig at 1920x1200.

I didn't experience any hitching, but I can say that the gameplay got *very* boring *very* quickly. The driving physics, all of it was very disappointing (particularly from the guys that made burnout).

I'm not experiencing any technical issues with the game on my sig rig in Surround or my QX9650 480 GTX 4GB backup rig at 1920x1200.

I am now. The game loses it's connection to the "Autolog" servers and crashes to the desktop all the time now. Not sure what changed as it didn't do this for the first few days I had it. Now it does it after every race or so. I can't even play it at this point. Just another fantastic console port! :rolleyes:

I am now. The game loses it's connection to the "Autolog" servers and crashes to the desktop all the time now. Not sure what changed as it didn't do this for the first few days I had it. Now it does it after every race or so. I can't even play it at this point. Just another fantastic console port! :rolleyes:

I think graphically, the game is very sleek. Though some of the artistic choices that they make, such as crazy amount of hit sparks and flying decals that look damn fake, makes no sense.

It is a console port for sure. Even with no hitching or stuttering, I always feel that my controls (PS2 keyboard) is hindered by input lag. But then of course, only in this game do I experience random hitching, even though my hardware cannot be an issue nor is it some sort of configuration problem.

Even when everything works, you still have to deal with a cheating CPU opponent that flies right up behind you the moment you make too much of a lead. I guess TDU was one of the only games where BS like that does not happen.

I think graphically, the game is very sleek. Though some of the artistic choices that they make, such as crazy amount of hit sparks and flying decals that look damn fake, makes no sense.

It is a console port for sure. Even with no hitching or stuttering, I always feel that my controls (PS2 keyboard) is hindered by input lag. But then of course, only in this game do I experience random hitching, even though my hardware cannot be an issue nor is it some sort of configuration problem.

Even when everything works, you still have to deal with a cheating CPU opponent that flies right up behind you the moment you make too much of a lead. I guess TDU was one of the only games where BS like that does not happen.

I get the hitching with the textures and shadows on their highest settings. What gets me is that it's perfectly smooth and then all of the sudden the thing starts acting like I'm playing on a 486. It seems odd that the game can run so well and then all of the sudden do that. But when I set the textures to high instead of very high the stuttering stops completely. I figured the game is just badly written and doesn't run worth a shit on those settings. Not because my machine can't do it, but because the port is just crappy.

This game is fun if I'm sitting around drinking with my buddies, but otherwise it's just too silly. Sorry, but I can't take a game seriously that lets me take a 90 degree turn in a Pagani going 270 by just tapping the e-brake.

Back