NFS: Hot Pursuit

I picked it up today and played a couple of hours. First off it wreaks of consolitis, no suprise I guess. That said its fun but a few issues. My Fps tends to stay around 35-40 sometimes 40ish. Needless to say I feel as if its capped for some reason. I thought if was odd the menus and cut scenes are locked at 60 Fps. This game should absolutly fly on my rig and I find it very annoying to see such low Fps even though it feels smooth. Still it passes me off I see all 3 gpu's at around 15-18 percent usage. God ports Piss me off.

Oh and no aa setting in game, lovely. Tried forcing it from the profile with no luck. Graphically its sorta meh but it is fun. I see the game pretty much bangs out one of my cores with the others mostly doing nothing along with very low gpu usage. Is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing?

I picked it up today and played a couple of hours. First off it wreaks of consolitis, no suprise I guess. That said its fun but a few issues. My Fps tends to stay around 35-40 sometimes 40ish. Needless to say I feel as if its capped for some reason. I thought if was odd the menus and cut scenes are locked at 60 Fps. This game should absolutly fly on my rig and I find it very annoying to see such low Fps even though it feels smooth. Still it passes me off I see all 3 gpu's at around 15-18 percent usage. God ports Piss me off.

Oh and no aa setting in game, lovely. Tried forcing it from the profile with no luck. Graphically its sorta meh but it is fun. I see the game pretty much bangs out one of my cores with the others mostly doing nothing along with very low gpu usage. Is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing?

Criterion was forced to make the game run at 30FPS on consoles, they probably just didn't bother to uncap it for the PC version for whatever reason.

AA will probably require a driver update to function, hopefully.

He's saying F - U
Actually,

44099589.jpg

I can't believe you guys missed the reference! :p
I remember that course! Was my favorite track in the game.

And holy crap I remember the original looking a lot better than that, it has not aged well at all.

I have an older P4 box that I still use to play older, late 90s-era games. I'll see if I can get some higher-res goodness of the first HP tomorrow as it does look better than what those last screenies present.

There will be 12 year olds playing Hot Pursuit that never even existed when the original Hot Pursuit came out. How messed is that?
I kno, rite? I was like 12 when Porsche Unleashed came out.

oh man Spare-Flair, that brings back so many memories. I never had a chance to play Porsche unleashed so I always had a hard-on for High Stakes. What a good game.

There was a ridiculous time in highschool ten years ago where for some reason, all the kids (nerds, jocks, whatever) all decided they would play Porche Unleashed together on multiplayer when they got home. I'm serious. We had like a group of 20 guys that played this multiplayer to race each other in the same school. That is the last moment of PC gaming glory in my life pretty much. Now the PC has been abandoned by the masses and everybody just plays consoles. What crap.

I just played a few races. Nice! If you liked NFS 1, 2, 3, and Hot Pursuit 2 you'll probably like this.

However it does need some AA and a dashboard view.

Now I really need to dig my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel out of storage...

think im addicted the Autolog really makes the game imo having other real peoples times to beat is way more fun

I'm still wondering and kinda bothered by the low fps and I'm also getting some hitching as if it's caching assets and textures as I'm driving. Kinda starting to piss me off actually.

agreed. I have a i7 920 + 5970 and am experiencing similar. not quite 3x470 but still :(

agreed. I have a i7 920 + 5970 and am experiencing similar. not quite 3x470 but still :(

Ya bro this game should be fucking flying as far as fps goes on both our rigs. Fucking console ports.

could be an SLI/xfire thing single 580 here and totally smooth

could be an SLI/xfire thing single 580 here and totally smooth

That's possible and I considered that too. What kind of fps are you getting while driving. Not in the menus. While driving with other cars on screen etc.

Edit: There's a profile in the 260.99 drivers I'm running for nfs:hp2010 and I can see the gpu utilization is pretty much even across all 3 gpu's. So sli is working albeit that doesn't mean nvidia doesn't need to improve the profile for this game. Just find it odd that games like this that are ported and mostly hit 1 core hard and barely scratch the surface of the gpu's generally run like shit. No it's not odd it's bullshit actually. Bo's comes to mind.

That's possible and I considered that too. What kind of fps are you getting while driving. Not in the menus. While driving with other cars on screen etc.

havent checked ill have to fire up fraps

I spent about 3 hours on it last night. It is good fun and I'll +1 the buttery smoothness of the game with a single 580.

Is it Porsche Unleashed? No friggin way, but few games are so... It's not nearly as crap as pretty much all the other recent NFS games. The game is beautiful, even with no AA and the way the game gives you tastes of the "good" cars before you have full access to them is really nice. Autolog is a genius idea.

When playing the demos on console I thought the handling was pretty simplistic but after spending some time with many cars, they all do handle differently and respond better or worse depending on how you drive. It's not as "on rails" as it thought it was, especially with the higher end cars.

I use the 360 controller hooked to my PC and it works great, not a game where a wheel is necessary at all, may even make it less fun

This is actually the 3rd Hot Pursuit game. They had a Hot Pursuit 2 that came out 7-8 years ago, too. I recall it being okay, but I only played it for a short time. I think it came out during a busy gaming period or something.

My favorite NFS game was always High Stakes. That game came with a Sound Blaster card back in the day and I put in a ton of hours into it.
Most Wanted from a few years ago was also a really good one. It did a good job of bridging the Underground series back over to the style of the older games.

So seeing how everyone here with a single gpu are saying it's "buttery" smooth and all I'll assume I will have to wait for a new driver from nvidia to hopefully address my issue. Which I assume is an sli issue, which does happen from time to time.

I changed the profile to only use 1 gpu and it's running much better now. Locked at 60 fps during races and pretty much smooth. Still an occasional hitch when racing but 98% of the time it's cool. SLI was causing the issue with the low fps so nvidia will have to address that and I'm sure they will in the next revision.

I'm actually enjoying the game; a lot better than the last couple NFS games that came out, plus you can wreck people with police cars :p. Only thing that is really starting to bug me is every cut scene, especially before races, but that is only minor.

any crappy activation type schemes, where it prevents you from selling it once you register it? i'd buy it, but no doubt get bored after a few weeks. i'd then want to sell it.

lol.. :)

It does make you enter the key like 3 times, so yes it has an activation scheme. Don't know how transferrable it is..

No Steam release, no purchase...

Which is unfortunate because I loved Burnout Paradise...

No Steam release, no purchase...

Which is unfortunate because I loved Burnout Paradise...

I got it from EA's download service, works perfectly...

REALLY fun so far in over an hour of gameplay, I like both the racing and pursuit (cop) modes.

Graphics options consist of virtually nothing to change, but on the top settings it looks good and stays at a glassy-smooth 60fps for me. I haven't tried forcing AA through the driver control panel yet... no in-game option.

Forced cutscenes including an ad for NFS Shift 2 were annoying, but once you're past the 4-5 minutes (literally) of forced intro's/tutorial videos on first launch it's all good, taking about 15 seconds on future launches.

Overall, worth the buy so far...

My mirror is doing the same thing haha.

Anyone had any success forcing AA? I used nvidia control panel and it seemed to help a little but not as much as 8x should, more like 2x.

I was enjoying the game until I realized the car steers itself once you enter a drift, and I haven't found a way to turn it off... Funny thing is it makes it more difficult because thanks to many hours of forza/gt4 I automatically counter-steer, since the game does it for me I always end up steering into the guard rail. That's one thing that will keep me from playing it unless it can be fixed.

I'm guessing they did the thing with the rear view mirror to see the competition easier. I'm not 100% sure though, maybe it's a button we pressed and didn't realize it.

Here's a few screenshots I took, not sure why people on amazon are saying it looks terrible/2002 graphics, honestly... it looks better in-game since these are compressed JPG's.

*snip*

P.S. I think my rear view mirror is bugged... ROFL.

Nice screen shots, if you didn't mention the bug, I was going to comment on why it was snowing on the second screenshot in your rear view mirror. :D

Here's a screenshot from the in game Photo mode that goes to your Autolog account.

pic.jpg

I don't like the filters or the lowered resolution they used. They soften up the image. :/ Though I do like the NFS on the tires. It's weird how some things are really detailed and others aren't, like on the rims and such. The debris from the crashes remind me of the PhysX effects for crashes on Mafia 2.

Gonna pass on this and wait for Shift 2 , Need for speed : shift was a fucking great game. Way better than the trash the Need for Speed series has been pumping out in recent years.

Gonna pass on this and wait for Shift 2 , Need for speed : shift was a fucking great game. Way better than the trash the Need for Speed series has been pumping out in recent years.

This is nothing like the recent NFS games. Its an old school NFS game. And by old school I mean prior to Underground. Before all the customization and street racing stuff took over the franchise. Back when it all still felt fresh and amazing.

images

y0 dawg, I herd you like short cuts, so I put a short cut in your short cut.

never cared for the NFS series after I played the first NFS: hot pursuit. that game was awesome! I remember laning that with my brothers when it first came out... so much fun messing with each other using spike stips and the ancient Chinese secret; turning around and and doing a surprise head on collision. Kinda looking forward to this again!

I recall seeing some tracks back at e3 that looked like spiritual successors to some of the tracks back in HP2 (one that took place in some national forest for instance). Are there any tracks that are based off of some of the tracks from the first Hot Pursuit? I would love to see remakes of Summit, Lost Canyon, and Country Woods.

This is nothing like the recent NFS games. Its an old school NFS game. And by old school I mean prior to Underground. Before all the customization and street racing stuff took over the franchise. Back when it all still felt fresh and amazing.

I know but Shift just did so many things right , the sense of speed in Shift is just amazing. The graphics are amazing , sound is probably (at least imo) some of the best I've ever heard in a racing game.

I have fond memories of the old NFS games but that what a long time ago.

Back