NFS: Hot Pursuit

This is my favorite NFS game since NFS:HP. It doesn't have all that gay ricer crap going on, and it just *feels* like an arcade racer should.

I'm really enjoying it. The game has decent length as well. I've been playing for around 8 hours and i've only completed 33% of the game.

The graphics are outstanding. The only thing missing is AA support. With AA support it would be perfect. Even so, it looks very good as it is.

Numerous vehicle choices, and very cool choices at that.

All the new 'weapons' are a great addition as well, and the new weapons aren't anything outlandish like they had in Hot Pursuit 2. (The stupid helicopter that dropped explosive barrels.)

I like the lack of car customization. Some people might not like that - But thank god. Finally, no more of that ricer crap. Please keep these pieces of art the way they were supposed to be.

My only complaint so far, is that the first hot pursuit did some things of being a cop better.

When you laid down spike strips in the first one, your car stopped on the road (Like in real life) and you waited for the law breaker to come. In this one, you the spike strips just magically come out the car, and the action never stops moving. In the first one, it wasn't about doing 'damage' to a car, but all about getting the car to stop so you could make the arrest. That is where they messed up with this new game.

Also, the free-roam cop mode doesn't seem to work right. In the old game you could explore around a map waiting for random law breakers and then chase them down. I can't really find a way to do this now.

Picked this up yesterday and honestly I don't understand why this game looks like crap. Sure certain things are detailed, but the car models leave a little more to be desired. I tried the demos on the Xbox and PS3 and I I thought the control was alittle off since it was a demo. I dunno, I really want to like this as I loved the old school NFS titles (Original NFS, Porsche Unleashed, High Stakes, Hot Pursuit 1/2) but this, I just can't explain.

And yes, my rear view mirror looks like that as well........

@Heatlessun - As far as I know it does support multiple monitors.

Question: Hows the online play? You guys expect it to end up like Blur did with hardly any online competition playing after a month or so?

Grrrrrr. Can't get it to work for me. Got the quad core bug. Can't set affinity to 2 cores because the game CTD's right away. Where's a day one patch when you need one :D

pretty fun. strange issue, my headlights are usually off at night, and i cant see a thing. downloading new ATI drivers now to start with.

Nitpicking aside (No AA, no dashboard view, and only 720p photo mode) I'm enjoying this NFS. IMO it's the best one since NFS Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2 version). Most Wanted wasn't too bad, it mixed the old exotic NFS with the customization of the ricer Underground (I admit Underground 1 wasn't too bad either) but I like the straight forward racing and none of the lame story macho street cred shit.

Anyway some fun with photo mode:

pic.jpg

pic.jpg

pic.jpg

Man you'd think they'd learn that not putting AA in PC games just makes everyone pissed.

I get so annoyed just seeing the jaggies on those cars. This game is shelved after one free roam race for me. lol

For people who can't stand jaggies and have an AMD 5xxx or 6xxx card, I found that while you couldn't force MSAA, enabling SuperSampling seems to work. I'm running at 1920*1200 with 4xSS and it greatly reduced the jaggies. But there is a noticeable performance hit. While the game mainly stays over 60fps, there are some prolonged drops to 40fps with scenes that have a lot of smoke, water, or dust. Also, MLAA works pretty good, but the text suffers immensely.

If someone with an Nvidia DX11 card could try this too, maybe we could spread the work on how to apply some AA to a game that really needs it.

Two screenshots showing the difference.

I can confirm that you can not force AA through the Nvidia control panel at all. Fucking sucks.

Oh and I bought the game today (I caved ..) not to bad.

Im beginning to get a weird nostalgia of some of the original NFS maps. Please tell me Im not crazy.

no cockpit view for real? I was about to buy this game, but thats just how i drive! I cant play a racing game w/o cockpit. :(

pretty fun. strange issue, my headlights are usually off at night, and i cant see a thing. downloading new ATI drivers now to start with.

im a douche.. turns out my headlights were mapped into my up arrow which was also my acceleration.

got the cops Bugatti Veryon last night. Pretty fun. i'll probably finish this game faster than i would like. I'll finish all the career mode before i start dabbling online.

Im beginning to get a weird nostalgia of some of the original NFS maps. Please tell me Im not crazy.

Yeah, even early in the game you'll notice some of the locations that were in previous games. They aren't copying the tracks, but just glimpses of them.
I'm not very far, but I'm enjoying it. I'm still getting used to the drifting mechanism, but I've had a good time.
I haven't messed with details, but I'm getting 60fps all the time at 1080p, which is automatically better than Shift was.

For people who can't stand jaggies and have an AMD 5xxx or 6xxx card, I found that while you couldn't force MSAA, enabling SuperSampling seems to work. I'm running at 1920*1200 with 4xSS and it greatly reduced the jaggies. But there is a noticeable performance hit. While the game mainly stays over 60fps, there are some prolonged drops to 40fps with scenes that have a lot of smoke, water, or dust. Also, MLAA works pretty good, but the text suffers immensely.

If someone with an Nvidia DX11 card could try this too, maybe we could spread the work on how to apply some AA to a game that really needs it.

Two screenshots showing the difference.
/snip

Okay noob question, how do I force supersampling?

Okay noob question, how do I force supersampling?
Open up CCC and go to the Graphics-3D page. Then select the "All " tab. Scroll down a bit until you see a section that reads "Anti-Aliasing Mode" and move the slide all the way to the right. That will enable Super Sampling for all DX9 games. Then go back up to the top of the page and select the multiple. Using 1920*1080 as an example, 2x will make the GPU render an image at 3840*2160 and will then scale the image down to fit the monitor which removes jaggies.

Here's a screenshot that might help.

i bought a joystick just for this game alone.

Logitech Attack 3 or whatever. I cant configure it. It always thinks the "Z" axis is pressed for every line, and wont let me properly configure it. I'll just return this joystick if its not gonna work. Anyone configured a joystick successfully on this game?

I already did a calibration in windows to make sure no buttons were unbalanced.

EDIT.. I can see the problem now. In calibration, i sweep the "Z" knob fully both directons, i leave it on "zero". Then i close calibration window. Upon reopening it, the "Z" display is always stick in the middle even when the knob is at "zero". I think I'm returning this piece of crap.

omg.. i just found pages of bad reviews on this joystick. its going back in a few mins.

Last edited:
I'm using a PS3 DS3 with the Motioninjoy drivers emulating the 360 controller. It works pretty good but I think I'm just going to buy a wired 360 controller soon anyway.

I got the game for my dad and he said the only way he was able to use a joystick was remapping every key for the joystick. It seems the game will not automatically recognize it.

no cockpit view for real? I was about to buy this game, but thats just how i drive! I cant play a racing game w/o cockpit. :(

Which is yet another reason Test Drive Two has the potential to be even more special. Lack of a dashboard view just kills it.

For anyone still on the fence: This game is made by Criterion and it plays exactly like Burnout Paradise. Imagine BP but without having to drive up to traffic lights to start off events. That's NFS:HP.

The driving model feels the same, the slo-mo money-shots of cars getting crunched is the same, the large persistent environment is the same. The only thing different is the cops vs racers dynamic and the online friends integration. There are still plenty of pure racing and time attack events if you're not into the Blur-esque combat driving.

It supports 3-screen resolutions out of the box and all the menus and cutscenes neatly play in the centre screen, with the side screens pushing out once you get control of the car. It's very slick although they could have done with an option to centralise the UI, as they did in Burnout Paradise.

For anyone still on the fence: This game is made by Criterion and it plays exactly like Burnout Paradise. Imagine BP but without having to drive up to traffic lights to start off events. That's NFS:HP.
I find it interesting that EA said they were going to get back to their "roots" with this game, yet they've apparently decided to instead get back to an entirely different series' "roots". It's...weird.

I'm still waiting for the proper 'sequel' to Porsche Unleashed that EA will never make.

Does this support LAN? And just want to triple check - no cockpit view?
I loved me some NFS back in the day!

I find it interesting that EA said they were going to get back to their "roots" with this game, yet they've apparently decided to instead get back to an entirely different series' "roots". It's...weird.

I'm still waiting for the proper 'sequel' to Porsche Unleashed that EA will never make.
See, that's why I loved Burnout Paradise so much, because it felt just like the NFS II and III. Crazy fast, no realistic physics, but just awesome fun.
Is this ever coming to steam?
BO:p did eventually, and for a decent price. I'll wait. AS I said on the first page, No steam, no purchase.

just played for 20 minutes. can't really tell because I didn't really follow the news and was expecting an improved NFS Shift with Police chases and ended up with Burnout Paradise, Blur and Split Second style.
nice sound effects, hope they’ll work more on the tires sound while drifting next time.

I'm definitely enjoying it. The sound is good, the snippets from old tracks work well, and there's a solid sense of speed without going overboard with motion blur. Even the drifting isn't too bad, so we're not stuck playing Mario Kart with real cars.
Not the best NFS, but one of the better ones for sure.

See, that's why I loved Burnout Paradise so much, because it felt just like the NFS II and III. Crazy fast, no realistic physics, but just awesome fun.

BO:p did eventually, and for a decent price. I'll wait. AS I said on the first page, No steam, no purchase.

I loved burnout paradise. Too bad it took me so long to get it since by the time it was on steam for a sale price it had been so long since it came out. I honestly think the steam sales do two things... sell a lot of games and since it's digital the margin is still there even if it's cheap... and introduce people to games that they really like so they buy future new releases that are similar. This is exactly how I feel right now about hot pursuit. Too bad it's not on steam period.

Yeesh. Anybody found any way to adjust the setting for a wheel? The force feedback is really light and seems off, and driving the car feels like driving a marshmallow. I thought it was just the crappy car at the beginning, but I did the Pagani mission and it felt the same. Really a step backwards from Shift.

NFS:Shift was developed by Slightly Mad Studios, who is made up of staff who has worked on racing titles such as GTR and GT Legends. They know how to make a racing sim. Not taking anything away from NFS:HP or Criterion Games, but they aren't know for sims.... but they know arcade racing. This plays more like BurnOut than anything else.

Oh, and its suffering from Consolitis.

Yeesh. Anybody found any way to adjust the setting for a wheel? The force feedback is really light and seems off, and driving the car feels like driving a marshmallow. I thought it was just the crappy car at the beginning, but I did the Pagani mission and it felt the same. Really a step backwards from Shift.

I can see where driving it with a wheel would be beyond annoying. I still can't stand how the car seems to steer itself but I'm still having a blast with my x360 controller.

right now my map is filled with stupid time trials and rapid responses. Driving by yourself is so boring..

I have to say I'm not very fond of the AI in this game! I've had too many situations where the entire race is essentially irrelevant and it comes down to luck on the final straightaway.
1/2 the time I'll literally lead the entire race and save my whole nitro for the last stretch only to have the CPU blow by me in the same car doing 2X my speed somehow.
With the other 1/2, I'll be in 4th place only to watch the AI slow down to a crawl and watch me pass 3 people at the last second sans any nitro at all.
I understand the whole rubber-band thing, but this game takes it to the extreme.

I agree, the rubber-band AI in this game is the worst I've ever seen and I've played every NFS since the first one. I downloaded a trainer that gives me permanent nitrous and even from the start of a race before you build any nitrous, the computer cars activate it and stay in front of me. I've literally done a whole race using nitrous and the computer cars are ahead with the blue flame out the tailpipes the entire time. It's absolutely insane!

I agree, the rubber-band AI in this game is the worst I've ever seen and I've played every NFS since the first one. I downloaded a trainer that gives me permanent nitrous and even from the start of a race before you build any nitrous, the computer cars activate it and stay in front of me. I've literally done a whole race using nitrous and the computer cars are ahead with the blue flame out the tailpipes the entire time. It's absolutely insane!

Never had that happen, I've actually noticed the rubber band works both ways... if I wreck and get far behind I'll build up enough speed to pass the entire pack in one straight.

Anyone else feel like the steering is completely non-responsive? I don't know how many times I've tried swerving but the car kept going right toward traffic. This and the lack of AA on NVidia are making it frustrating.

Rubber band definitely goes both ways. I've passed 3-4 cars on the final straightaway sans nitro numerous times. It seems like most of my wins come that way.
Some of my favorite ones have been when I've won races in which my opponent in "Duel" didn't crash a single time and I've been off my best (losing) time by more than 10 seconds.
The AI cars really just boil down to luck.

Back