nForce4 Mobos...keeping an eye out at the major national distributors

Nvidia if you are listening I'm a mindless consumer and I have money to burn gimme gimmme gimme!!! :p

Jasonx82 said:
Nvidia if you are listening I'm a mindless consumer and I have money to burn gimme gimmme gimme!!! :p

Well, if they do in fact end up releasing SoundStorm 3 in PCI-E 1x form, as I hope they do, you can then say that they are indeed listening.

canislupy said:
This is all fine well and good, but my question is this. When are the SLI capable 6800 GT PCI-Express cards showing up? XFX and eVGA are the only companies I have spotted even mentioning them as a product so far. Second to when and where is, how much? One hopes we wont be seeing prices in the stratosphere.

I need SLI bad. Got to drive these games at 1920x1200 on my 23" widescreen LCD. Stuff is playable now, but I'm pushing it with my 9800XT.

Now if I only had enough pennies left after all of this for a Sharp LC-45GX6U to hang on my wall.. sigh... sorry day dreaming off topic. :D

There are a lot of 6600GTs available right now. Search Newegg and you will find several available right now. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

Now for more SLI boards to hit! Thanks again to the preson who started the thread.

has anyone actually pm'ed him to take him up on his offer and gotten a response? i haven't...

penelope said:
has anyone actually pm'ed him to take him up on his offer and gotten a response? i haven't...

His PM inbox is probably maxed out.

dblagent: 128MB per card is a no-no for me running at high res as I do, I need 6800 GT's and their full 256MB.

Check up top at the first post for more info, sorry guys I did expect alot of interest, but not this much..

I might get the asus sli board but the one thing that concerns me most is power. If i get SLI, and want to run dual 6600gts or 6800gts, will an Antec TruPower 430W handle it? I will have only one 80GB harddrive, and one optical drive. On Anandtech, Dual 6600gts took up a maax of 244watts while for dual 6800ultras it was 329 watts. I don't want to get some crap power supple that is 600watts, the Tru Powers are good and the prices aren't bad. So, with the computer that I basically posted, will an Antec 430W handle dual 6600GT or 6800GT? Thanks.

I might get the asus sli board but the one thing that concerns me most is power. If i get SLI, and want to run dual 6600gts or 6800gts, will an Antec TruPower 430W handle it? I will have only one 80GB harddrive, and one optical drive. On Anandtech, Dual 6600gts took up a maax of 244watts while for dual 6800ultras it was 329 watts. I don't want to get some crap power supple that is 600watts, the Tru Powers are good and the prices aren't bad. So, with the computer that I basically posted, will an Antec 430W handle dual 6600GT or 6800GT? Thanks.

It might be tight...hmmm...It would probably work fine, but you won't have any wiggle room...well you know what they say..."there is safety in numbers" - 550 of them :p

If you really want to get down to it, how many sticks of RAM, floppy or no, any add in cards (snd or nic).

no nic card, 2x512, will probably be Mushkin Level 1 Black (2-3-2-6), probably a TV Tuner (either WinTV Go or PVR-150), definately will have a floppy drive. if a 430 can't handle it, I will probably just go with the Asus non sli nforce 4 board, whenever that comes out, I really have no hurry to build a computer, I just really want to get an AMD 64 with a PCI-E Mobo, is that too much to ask for? :D

Oh yeah, my budget is $1000, and I do think I can stay under it, but the TV Tuner will be pushing it, so I exclude that in the budget.

penelope said:
I got a response today. Maybe it just took awhile to answer all the PM's.

I found this on another site, actually answers my question:.

A64 3400+, 2 x 6600GT, 2 x DDR, 2 x HDD, 1 x optical drive, 1 x PCI device, 3 x USB device
Required +12V current: > 17A
Required Wattage: >= 350W

A64 3800+, 2 x 6800GT, 2 x DDR, 2 x HDD, 2 x optical drive, 2 x PCI device, 4 x USB device
Required +12V current: > 20A
Required Wattage: >= 400W

AFX 55, 2 x 6800U, 4 x DDR, 4 x HDD, 2 x optical drive, 3 x PCI device, 6 x USB device
Required +12V current: > 25A
Required Wattage: >= 500W

Thats from the manual. By the looks of that, a 430watt TruPower will be plenty, since i will only have one hard drive and one optical.

jabronidan said:
I found this on another site, actually answers my question:.

A64 3400+, 2 x 6600GT, 2 x DDR, 2 x HDD, 1 x optical drive, 1 x PCI device, 3 x USB device
Required +12V current: > 17A
Required Wattage: >= 350W

A64 3800+, 2 x 6800GT, 2 x DDR, 2 x HDD, 2 x optical drive, 2 x PCI device, 4 x USB device
Required +12V current: > 20A
Required Wattage: >= 400W

AFX 55, 2 x 6800U, 4 x DDR, 4 x HDD, 2 x optical drive, 3 x PCI device, 6 x USB device
Required +12V current: > 25A
Required Wattage: >= 500W

Thats from the manual. By the looks of that, a 430watt TruPower will be plenty, since i will only have one hard drive and one optical.

Yup. That was my posting on Anandtech. :D

I've been watching for pretty much any and all info about A64 PCIe boards (the A8N-SLI in particular). I've read over the manual already. Damn thing's 176 pages. I did find the power information particularly interesting.

..phreak did finally get back to me, and i pre-ordered a yummy board. he's got such a nice phone voice too...and a cute accent :p

I am wondering if the board supports a 20-pin ATX connector (I want to use the Antec True380S from my Sonata case). I've read on several site, and the ASUS press release that it should work, and that EZ-Plug helps with it.

However, I just read through the manual and they don't mention it at all. What gives?

One more thing, the manual states that Corsair ValueSelect 512MB RAM is not supported in a dual channel config of 1GB (2x512MB), however it is supported in a 2GB config (4x512MB).

That seems kinda strange to me. Does anybody have more info on that?

HiroProt said:
One more thing, the manual states that Corsair ValueSelect 512MB RAM is not supported in a dual channel config of 1GB (2x512MB), however it is supported in a 2GB config (4x512MB).

That seems kinda strange to me. Does anybody have more info on that?

I would imagine this was part of the delays. I also heard rumors that the SATA_II was having trouble with available SATA_II and NCQ drives.

Best time to upgrade? Depends.

Now, most stable and bang for the dollar? nf3 probably a neo,
nf4? Would wait till after the New Year, knowone buys so prices will drop.
Prices will also drop for nf3 products also.

techz said:
I would imagine this was part of the delays. I also heard rumors that the SATA_II was having trouble with available SATA_II and NCQ drives.

Best time to upgrade? Depends.

Now, most stable and bang for the dollar? nf3 probably a neo,
nf4? Would wait till after the New Year, knowone buys so prices will drop.
Prices will also drop for nf3 products also.

You mean SATA 3, SATA 2 is a 150Mbs drive. SATA 3 is a 300Mbs drive which the Nforce 4 boards have.

sata 2 is 300mbps. there are 150mbps drives right now with PARTIAL sata 2 implementation, but not the speed.

penelope said:
sata 2 is 300mbps. there are 150mbps drives right now with PARTIAL sata 2 implementation, but not the speed.
I should hope they're not 300 millibits per second. :p </grammarnazi>

Amusingly enough, SATA speed specs are the only ones where they actually mis-state the speed: they call SATA1 150MBps and SATA2 300MBps, when they're in fact 1.5Gbps (!) and 3Gbps. Holy shit, like.

So yeah, anyone know if the nForce SATA2 controller can handle optical drives and the like?

Serial ATA PDF document

If you read the second page, they explain the 1.5Gb/s vs 150MB/s.

"Bandwidth – The 16-bit wide parallel Ultra ATA bus is capable of transmitting two bytes of data per clock. Though Serial ATA transmits only a single bit per clock, the serial bus may be run at a much higher speed to compensate for the loss of parallelism. Serial ATA will be introduced with a bandwidth of 1500Mbits/sec, or 1.5Gbits/sec. Because data is encoded using 8b/10b encoding (an 80% efficient encoding used with digital differential signaling to maintain a constant average “DC” bias point), the effective maximum throughput is 150Mbytes/sec."

SATA uses 8b10bencoding on its characters for higher transition density and better error detection. 8b/10b coding is where you send 8 bits of data as 10 bits over the line. A primitive form of error correction/detection. The 8b bandwidth is 1.2 GigaBITS per second. Divide by 8 (8 bits in a byte) and you get the 150MegaBYTE's per second that most places show.

Same thing either way.

Stiletto One said:
I should hope they're not 300 millibits per second. :p </grammarnazi>

Amusingly enough, SATA speed specs are the only ones where they actually mis-state the speed: they call SATA1 150MBps and SATA2 300MBps, when they're in fact 1.5Gbps (!) and 3Gbps. Holy shit, like.

So yeah, anyone know if the nForce SATA2 controller can handle optical drives and the like?

The funky thing is many SATA drives are not true SATA drives but IDE drives with SATA interface. I think there are only a FEW true SATA drives out there.

Also, I was reading on a music forum, and he mentioned that two (2) normally QUIET 7200 rpm drives in RAID 0 config (for fast access) was actually LOUDER than the 10,000 rmp Raptor drive. Any truth to this?

nfroce 4 ULTRA where are you?!

I'm waiting till monday then it's off to Neo Plat 2 with OCZ rev 2 EL plat RAM.

I wanted to get an ultra board, not an SLI board. Do you have an eta on the MSI nforce4 ultra boards? your website only says coming soon.

I am supposed to have more info on the Ultra availabiliy on Monday, but if what I have heard around, they won't be available in the channel till end of December, which means that even if I order them, due to the whole "New Year" thing :D I won't see them till first week of January. I am hoping to have some MSI's in by then, I have a lot of locals that love MSI, so I get an earful almost everyday :p.

Here is a PM I just sent to someone inquiring about getting in on some of the $200 goodness.

I have got you down for any extras...I ordered a ton, however, my rep told me so did eveyone else. I was the first to put in an order, hell they didn't have the thing SKUd up yet when I put in my first order. Problem is I didn't expect to be selling boards through the forums and combine that with my regualar walkin preorders, it pretty much sucked up the first batch. So I called in an extension on the order on Thursday, problem was by that time lots of other resellers were putting in orders. I believe he said they had 500 on order from Asus, and that the current backorder was at I believe 150. Which obviously there shouldn't be a probelm, except that Asus will ship what it has of the order to meet the projected delivery date even if is only a third of the original order. This little fact is what caused me to put a halt on preorders on Thursday, I mean the boards will always be $199.99, but it may be a couple days or a week before the rest of the order could show up. Of course Asus could ship all 500 and then everyone would be happy :D I have acutally lost sleep over this stuff, trying to make good for everyone that wants one...I mean the crap online resellers are trying to pull just pisses me off...I mean $250 and up :mad:

Oh well, more info on Monday, check the main thread.

Dan

Hi phreak $199 is agood price, but why the price for fx55 $1049? It is so xpensive :confused: Anyone bought stuff from tft computer? LMK.....

Even thogh Im not 1 of the ppl who have ordered from you I just have to say that Ure doing a good job here. (Although I don't really recommend any1 else trying to sell stuff here ;) ) I respect your will to let the ppl here get the stuff first hand as well as the work You've ploughed into this.

So from me as a Forum member

Thanks... And be sure to have a Super X-Mas time.

Of course it will, It will just take some time...

militaryman1010 said:
will price on the asus nforce4 sli ever atleast reach 225$....or less hopefully

Any idea who the first manufacturers of the nForce4 Ultra boards are likely to be? So far I haven't seen anything from Asus, which is who I would like to buy from.

hardwarephreak said:
**UPDATE 12/13/04** ... So yet even more waiting for some of you...hopefully by that time more PCIe Graphics cards will be available. Which I have heard speculation of a sudden availability starting tomorrow, course that is pure rumor, nothing more, nothing less....

Which manufactures should we be keeping an eye on? I just pre-ordered a card (6800GT PCI-E) from XFX and was told today not to expect it to ship until the end of the month at least.

Just put in a call to my rep, waiting on a call back...

Hi phreak $199 is agood price, but why the price for fx55 $1049? It is so xpensive Anyone bought stuff from tft computer? LMK.....

And that's why I don't ususally sell on the web, if I did those prices would be lower. Those are just standard percentage markups...If you come into my store you get a better price, but I have two other local competitors on retail product, and they like to check my website to price their stuff, so I leave it high. When you actually come in the prices are usually a little bit more than newegg or there abouts. I have had alot of problems with local resellers just going to my website and basing thier prices off of it, so I just decided to put a large markup since no one buys off of it anyways. At one point one of them took a couple pages off of my website and put them on his, with a note that they were copyrighted to him. When I told him to take it down, or I would call his ISP and have it removed under the DMCA, he did and then had someone deface one of the pages on my site. Had to go to the FBI, found out it was him, but I couldn't do anything because I couldn't prove a monetary loss. :( Which there wasn't I was just really really pissed off. Then he goes and takes a another local LAN gaming page and hijacked it...they ended up closing so nothing was done.

And actually the other retail stores in Pensacola, actually charge those prices or higher. I am considered the low priced guy in town :rolleyes: ...but you can always get stuff cheaper online, and I tell people that, they just like to buy from me becuase I give good service and if they have a problem they can call me up or come in and I'll take care of it for them. Seriously though I just sold a guy a FX55 two days ago for $865....course I can't even get one now.

Back