Nexus One Teardown

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
These guys have torn apart a Nexus One and posted some pretty cool step-by-step pictures. A very noteworthy part is that it is capable of Wireless N.

”The Bluetooth and 802.11n wireless is provided by a Broadcom (BRCM) BCM4329 chip.”

I've always wondered why it didn't support n. Seems like they're just saving it for later.

Pulling an apple and install a feature but leave it locked for a future revision to label as an upgrade?

If it can do N at 5ghz then great. otherwise, meh. I want to be able to do a2dp without glitches, something the n1 cannot currently do when streaming on WiFi.

With all the iPhone hysteria I'm happy to see a user replaceable battery.

Consume a set of male genitalia, Apple.

The Nexus One, manufactured by HTC, is the latest and greatest Android phone.

Not anymore, that would be the Incredible that will be launched in just a few days. I'm tempted to sell my Droid towards it, but I thing I would miss the keyboard too much.

*Posted from my Droid* :D

I can connect to wireless N just fine with my Nexus One. It is limited to 2.4ghz though.

Not anymore, that would be the Incredible that will be launched in just a few days. I'm tempted to sell my Droid towards it, but I thing I would miss the keyboard too much.

*Posted from my Droid* :D

Root your droid and you can overclock it. Mine is running at 1.2ghz. Which means all you'll be missing HTC's SenseUI, but people are working on porting that to the Droid.

I'm trying to decide what Android phone to get and when I heard about the overclocking was interested in the Motorola Droid (or Milestone as it is known in Canada). But the 256MB of RAM is bugging me. I'm still leaning towards the Nexus One unless the rumor of the soon to be launched HTC Triumph turns out to be the Incredible.

Root your droid and you can overclock it. Mine is running at 1.2ghz. Which means all you'll be missing HTC's SenseUI, but people are working on porting that to the Droid.

Couldn't you just root the incredible and overclock that as well?

Couldn't you just root the incredible and overclock that as well?

Probably, but the guy I quoted already has a Droid. Kind of pointless to spend $600 to get HTC's SenseUI. ;)

Also, HelixLauncher 2 is a great home replacement with all of Launcher2's features with a couple of extras. Its in the marketplace. So that + overclocking essentially gets your Droid to N1 levels.

Pulling an apple and install a feature but leave it locked for a future revision to label as an upgrade?

This is very common in the cell phone industry, companies buy chip sets in bulk and use them in many phones, they lock features that they do not want to include, or are not stable. Back in 2005 when Motorola released the original RAZR, it had an EDGE radio that was entirely stable so they disabled EDGE in the ROM and sold the RAZR without it

If it can do N at 5ghz then great. otherwise, meh. I want to be able to do a2dp without glitches, something the n1 cannot currently do when streaming on WiFi.

To be clear, A2DP would be Bluetooth streaming no? Are you saying that you can't pipe audio streamed from WiFi over BT? Or that BT audio in general is glitchy? I'm not too interested in the former, but I would hope BT audio would work flawlessly as even my cheap feature phone can manage that (and I use it a lot, in the car).

As far as the Incredible... It has a better touch sensor on it than the Nexus One (as does the Droid), between that, and the improved camera (faster, more MP), and the touchpad (vs a trackball), and the extra 8GB of on-board storage, I'd say it's an easy pick over the Nexus One if you don't mind CDMA or going w/Verizon.

I wish I had that option, Verizon disappeared from Puerto Rico a few years ago, it's the only one of the big four carriers that doesn't operate down here... Unfortunately they also have the best Android phones right now. :(

Oh and as far as 802.11N on the Nexus One... Who the heck cares? What could you possibly be sending to your phone over WiFi (or sending from the phone) that would take advantage of 802.11N's extra bandwidth? 802.11G should be enough in 99% of cases...

Oh and as far as 802.11N on the Nexus One... Who the heck cares? What could you possibly be sending to your phone over WiFi (or sending from the phone) that would take advantage of 802.11N's extra bandwidth? 802.11G should be enough in 99% of cases...

Wireless N also has a greater range than G.

Usually, is it really gonna make a difference w/the tiny antenna most phones must have? I dunno... I'm actually curious why more and more people seem to be using WiFi for tethering rather than Bluetooth, doesn't WiFi use more power? Or is it just the convenience of being able to share the connection w/multiple people?

Usually, is it really gonna make a difference w/the tiny antenna most phones must have? I dunno... I'm actually curious why more and more people seem to be using WiFi for tethering rather than Bluetooth, doesn't WiFi use more power? Or is it just the convenience of being able to share the connection w/multiple people?

wifi tether gives you more bandwidth. 54mbit vs like 1.5mbit for bt 2.0 i think 2.1 with edr has 3mbit? with networks that have hsdpa, ive seen 5mbit down on my nexus occasionally when i run speedtests.

Ahh, makes sense... I don't think I've ever seen those speeds here, and I had been looking at PC World's recent carrier tests, seemed like no one averaged better than 1mbit, AT&T had the fastest speeds (1+ in several instances)... I can see where it'd help if you're lucky enough to enjoy those speeds tho, sweet.

Back