Nexus-Five thread

I've been wanting to get off of Verizon for quite a while and actually the Nexus4 made me want to jump (as of 2 months ago) but then I read the Nexus 5 was coming out so I waited. Everyone in my neighborhood has Verizon so I can't check network coverage. I so badly want to switch to straight talk and an android phone from my current iPhone4 that runs like shit on iOS7 now.

I've never bought a used phone before so shopping on ebay or craigslist scares the crap out of me and taking a chance that it's good to go.

Checking sensorly.com it shows I shouldn't even have Verizon coverage where I live even though I have 5 bars all throughout my house and area.

Check out Swappa.com or CellTraderOnline.com. Have bought and sold a few on both sites.

I am still on contract with Verizon. Is there any way to terminate it with lower ETF? I'm doing the math to see if ETF + Nexus 5 + pre-paid is worth it, but its not working out.

I am still on contract with Verizon. Is there any way to terminate it with lower ETF? I'm doing the math to see if ETF + Nexus 5 + pre-paid is worth it, but its not working out.

Say that you're moving to an address that doesn't have reception there? Maybe?

The proration is a scam as well. Its $350 - $10/month. So if you cancel the contract a day before 2 years, you still owe them $110 :mad: I have 1 year left, so I'd owe them $230.

Verizon does prorate. I just canceled one of my lines with them. My contract doesn't end until Mid-February 2014, my ETF was $160. Switched to T-Mobile and got myself a G2 to replace my broken Gnex. The amount my bill went down will pay for the ETF in a few months (and that's including the payment plan on the new phone)

Say that you're moving to an address that doesn't have reception there? Maybe?

This is very unlikely to work. For one, you'd need to provide an address in an area with no coverage, and they would probably make you verify it's yours. And there would have to be NO coverage at all for Verizon, just saying your coverage is shit isn't enough.

They are smart, they know how to keep you in a contract whether you like it or not. Best way to get out is to keep an eye out for some sort of change to the TOS that applies retroactively to all customers that you don't agree with. This is how I got out of Sprint totally ETF free, about two years ago they changed their policies so that promotional discounts only apply to the primary line instead of the total bill on family accounts. Cost me about $2 more a month, but it was technically a breach of contract and they let me go no fuss. I moved to an area where Sprint coverage was garbage (which they wouldn't let me out of my contract for, I tried, so this was perfect!)

The more I read about the N5 the more I think I'll just skip it and keep on trucking with my N4. I got mine when it was released, but the battery life on it is still OK, and maybe I can pick up a "like new" G2 in the $300 range in another 6 months

Looks like a verizon version just went to the FCC. Note 3 vs N5 (maybe g2 if N5 isn't on verizon). :confused:

Last edited:
The N5 needs to come out soon. I just sold my HTC One and I am stuck using a T-Mobile Concord until it's released.

The N5 needs to come out soon. I just sold my HTC One and I am stuck using a T-Mobile Concord until it's released.

There is a new article out now that some chick did a review on a case for the Nexus5, said there is a embargo on it until the 25th.....so that could be some more release speculation?

http://phandroid.com/2013/10/20/ama...-of-nexus-5-embargo-on-october-25-seems-fake/

I pray they release a few colors for the N5........that white photoshopped one looks yummmmmmmmmmmmy!

Google PR told another news site that there are no hardware product roll outs scheduled for that event

GDI......now its just pissing me off.

May just go with the Note 3 and pay double.
FU google.......F.....U.....

GDI......now its just pissing me off.

May just go with the Note 3 and pay double.
FU google.......F.....U.....
Google is botching this launch before they even announce the phone. They are certainly not filling me with confidence.

How can they be held to anything if they haven't said anything?

All the info we have is based on leaks.

They posted the phone in the Play Store for the better part of an hour. Whether intentional or not, that's saying something. We all know everything about the phone, they need to just announce it instead of playing these PR games.

There is a new article out now that some chick did a review on a case for the Nexus5, said there is a embargo on it until the 25th.....so that could be some more release speculation?

http://phandroid.com/2013/10/20/ama...-of-nexus-5-embargo-on-october-25-seems-fake/

I pray they release a few colors for the N5........that white photoshopped one looks yummmmmmmmmmmmy!

I usually get white phones but the black N5 looks sexy. I just put a few things in my wish list on Amazon. I guess the moment I pull the trigger on the phone I will order the accessories.

Google is botching this launch before they even announce the phone. They are certainly not filling me with confidence.

The phone hasn't even been officially announced. Any possible release dates were speculation at best. There hasn't been any leak that I'm aware of that points to a hard release date. The worst of them was the accidental link on the Play Store, but even that didn't have any release information. I don't see how anyone could be upset about them missing a date they never said was a release date.

We all know it's coming, and that it's pretty damn likely it will be by the end of October. Just sit back and wait for Google to say something official

The phone hasn't even been officially announced. Any possible release dates were speculation at best. There hasn't been any leak that I'm aware of that points to a hard release date. The worst of them was the accidental link on the Play Store, but even that didn't have any release information. I don't see how anyone could be upset about them missing a date they never said was a release date.

We all know it's coming, and that it's pretty damn likely it will be by the end of October. Just sit back and wait for Google to say something official
That's why I think they botched it. Nobody knows anything. Google PR has been playing the teasing game to everyone and I know a number of people who got sick of it and bought a different phone. There's a fine line between teasing your fans and leading them on with endless "leaks". Google has cried wolf IMO.

you can't fault google for leaks, false or true, made by other entities. officially, google has been quiet about the nexus 5 and the recent "accident" on play was google building some hype. google doesn't want to compete w/ the recent apple product headlines so they are likely staying quiet until they are ready to officially announce the product. seems like tomorrow, the 24th, is the probable announcement date.

you can't fault google for leaks, false or true, made by other entities. officially, google has been quiet about the nexus 5 and the recent "accident" on play was google building some hype. google doesn't want to compete w/ the recent apple product headlines so they are likely staying quiet until they are ready to officially announce the product. seems like tomorrow, the 24th, is the probable announcement date.

BLAH I still want em to talk. GIMME INFO RAWR

If they don't release it soon I am going to end up looking into a different phone. I am stuck on this POS and I need to make a move soon.

If they don't release it soon I am going to end up looking into a different phone. I am stuck on this POS and I need to make a move soon.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm dying over here waiting for the N5. I need to move from my old and slow Inspire 4G soon, as I just can't take the lag anymore. If they don't announce the phone tonight I'm going to flip.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm dying over here waiting for the N5. I need to move from my old and slow Inspire 4G soon, as I just can't take the lag anymore. If they don't announce the phone tonight I'm going to flip.

I was waiting for the N5, but I waited too long already, so I decided to jump on the note 3. I probably would of been happy with the N5 but I can't say the note 3 is at all disappointing.

The last 2 Nexus phones released in the second week of November. That's what I'm banking on happening this time as well.

Looks like it will be available on Sprint/VM. I just hope you can get it through Google play and skip the subsidized pricing.

Link - http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/326930-nexus-5-virgin-mobile-nov-8-a.html
XQsSdGY.png

Last edited:
So if it's on Sprint it will be on Verizon right? The main issue was whether or not Google bothered to request a CDMA version?

So if it's on Sprint it will be on Verizon right? The main issue was whether or not Google bothered to request a CDMA version?

No, the D820 aka Nexus 5 that passed through the FCC, already supports Sprint's bands, voice, CDMA, and LTE.

Yeah, no. Unlike Verizon, Sprint is actually decent at updating their phones in a timely manner. Verizon's Galaxy Nexus was a joke even though it was the only US carrier to really carry the phone until it launched in the Play Store a few months afterwords, then Sprint a few months after that. I don't think the Verizon Gnex has even gotten the 4.3 update officially still, lol. I think that really turned Google off to them and I don't blame them. Sprint carried the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus and didn't trail the GSM Nexus phones too far with updates, from what I recall.

Back