Nexus-Five thread

Yes the Note 2 was the king of battery life, I agree, I owned the N2 for awhile, and it was a beast. But the Nexus 4 was at the other end, with total crap low battery life. My S4 is in the middle of those two phones for battery life, but little closer towards the N2 battery.

On average my Note got 8h On Screen time. My Nexus 4 got 3.5h to 4h On Screen time. My S4 gets 6h to 6.5h On Screen time.

hmm yesterday i used it for about 3hrs browsing web from 100% battery on my N5 ( no wifi ) and had something around 44% left on battery i believe

You guys must be using different phones from me, or there's something wrong with my S4, or I'm doing it wrong. My S4 gets terribad battery life. 100% from 8 in the morning when I go out, LTE on all day, regular joe amounts of use - surfing, email, occassional games, its usually 30% or so when I get home in the evening, when I get on Wifi, and depending on how much I use it at home it may not make it to bedtime without running to zero.

I owned the Nexus 4, and was rooted with a good battery friendly kernel, and was only able to get 4h On Screen time at best. Which is not enough if your a heavy work day user that needs a smartphone for business, that is hammered on all day long.

You seem to exaggerate your battery stats a bit. I remembered you boasting about your Nexus 4 battery life, so I did a quick search and found you bragging about it here and in the rest of that thread. :p

So in 6 months when you move onto your next phone, can I expect you to be dogging the S4's battery life too?

You guys must be using different phones from me, or there's something wrong with my S4, or I'm doing it wrong. My S4 gets terribad battery life. 100% from 8 in the morning when I go out, LTE on all day, regular joe amounts of use - surfing, email, occassional games, its usually 30% or so when I get home in the evening, when I get on Wifi, and depending on how much I use it at home it may not make it to bedtime without running to zero.

Sounds like an average smart phone to me, nothing near "terribad". But it's hard to say since you didn't say your screen-on time, which is a much better indicator of battery life than overall usage/standby time. You can expect about the same usage/battery life out of a newer iPhone or One, which certainly aren't known for bad battery life. I know my wife's (Verizon) S4 gets 4+ hours of screen-on time a day minimum before she needs to look for the charger, which is usually late into the evening after unplugging it at 7 AM. First day she got it, I ran it from full to dead pretty much straight and it went over 6 hours screen-on time. That's definitely not bad battery life and is actually pretty decent from what I've seen. It really doesn't seem that much worse than my Note 2.

You also mention gaming, which (depending on the game) can absolutely murder your battery. I play Clash of Clans on my Note 2 and I'll bet it doesn't last 2 hours on a full charge playing that game, but I think it's so hard on it because not only is it somewhat graphically intensive, it is constantly using your network connection to connect to its game servers, so it's sucking juice in just about every way it can. Come back with screen shots or screen-on time along with your total run time before we can declare that you have a problem.

Sounds like a standard smart phone

I should have mentioned - more or less the same usage pattern with an iPhone 5, and typically its about 40% or some times even 50% battery at bedtime. So I don't have detailed numbers on what I do with the phone, just that on the average it does not last anywhere near as long as the iPhone battery with pretty much the same use.

MKBHD review is up.

Pretty much echoing what every other reputable review is saying about it; bad speaker, mediocre camera, somewhat bad battery life, but awesome everywhere else. I would still buy one if I was on Verizon for $350 off-contract. For $350, it's still an awesome phone, but you can definitely tell they made some sacrifices to get it that low, just as they have for every other Nexus phone. Sucks because a better speaker and battery cannot affect the price that much and they could have easily fixed those two things for next to nothing. The camera can probably be fixed with software, so hopefully that happens. XDA Devs seem to be taking action on it themselves rather than relying on Google to fix it.

One of my fav reviewers, this guy is good, and very good speaker, clear and articulate. Plus he's honest and no BS.
You weren't joking. That was the best review I've ever seen in terms of production and content.

Faults of the Nexus are easy to overlook because of the freedom from carriers and updates. And compare the GN to N4 to N5, the hardware has been getting much better and faults much less for the same price.

Android still has lots of optimization left to do. e.g. ART should help.

Has anyone found a good carrying case or pouch for their Nexus 5? I haven't found one that fits well or doesn't block the USB charging or headphone jacks yet.

Has anyone found a good carrying case or pouch for their Nexus 5? I haven't found one that fits well or doesn't block the USB charging or headphone jacks yet.

I'm interested in the same...any opinions yet on the case hardware?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2516061 - community camera mods for the Nexus 5. Supposedly this can provide faster focusing in addition to the higher bit-rate mods that were available for the Nexus 4.

Hopefully Google will come out with something soon. I want the Nexus 4 Kitkat release. Nexus 4 was a good deal for me.

Edit: I saw that MQBL review. He got something like 3.5 hours of screen-on time, and he has to recharge during the day. That is horrible...unless he was playing games the entire time.

Nexus 4: With undervolting and the right kernel + kernel settings, the Nexus 4 will get 3 to 6 hours of screen-on time (with better than stock performance). 3 hours = very heavy use, 6 hours light-use. I don't game, so I can get 5-6 hours - but then again, I don't use my phone much, so generally I'm getting 2-5 days between charges. I'm guessing the N5 battery life can be improved.

Last edited:
Rumor has it that Google will be releasing an update November 13 to update 4.4 that will add some more bells & whistles to Google Now as well as a software update to the camera.

http://m.androidauthority.com/google-now-smart-features-nexus-5-tipped-november-13-update-315112/

So far camera is decent for outdoors with good lighting. HDR+ works well. Shutter speed seems to be the biggest issue as its slow. Everything else just flies so the slower camera really stands out.

Battery life is OK on LTE and actually very good on WiFi. Better than the N4 so if you got along with the N4, the N5 really is better in all respects.

I just sold my HTC One today as I don't see me using it after using the N5 for just a few days.

Coming from the One, I'm seriously underwhelmed by the sound quality of this thing- I'm only listening to podcasts, but I think it sounds worse than any of my recent phones- it almost sounds like there's an echo or something going on. Super lame. Also.... wtf is up with using Hangouts for SMS in 4.4? Seriously lame move Google. Time to find a new SMS app.

Coming from the One, I'm seriously underwhelmed by the sound quality of this thing- I'm only listening to podcasts, but I think it sounds worse than any of my recent phones- it almost sounds like there's an echo or something going on. Super lame. Also.... wtf is up with using Hangouts for SMS in 4.4? Seriously lame move Google. Time to find a new SMS app.

Textra

I was a huge stock Message guy, could only run the stock vanilla Messaging app, I downloaded and tried all the other big names ones, and they all suck; Go SMS :rolleyes: Handcent :rolleyes: 8SMS :rolleyes: Those all fell slow and bloated, and laggy.

But Textra just rocks, super light, very fast, has 'Group' messaging option, that truly works, can set it to a dark theme, and it looks better than the stock vanilla messaging app.

I agree that Hangouts is just fucked up :confused: WTF is Google smoking with that thing :p People are just looking for the Android version of iMessage, and Google just won't or can't offer that for some reason.

I opened a Black 32GB this morning since getting it on Tuesday. 5 days in the UPS brown box I couldn't take it anymore.

• Feels nice in the hand, soft-touch material on the sides and back is great and comfy.
  • Display is pretty good and better than the N4's. Some tiny light bleeding at the top and bottom, but no dead pixels. I'd prefer the Moto X Amoled screen but I like this display overall.
  • Snappy as can be in Chrome and whilst navigating in 4.4 KitKat. I can perceive a slightly snappier experience than the already fast N4 but it's not a huge difference.
  • Speakers on the bottom side are okay. About par for the course. I no longer have to have the N4 propped up to listen to YouTube and can lay the phone flat now, so that is a plus.
  • Camera is noticeably better quality and slightly faster than the N4's. It's satisfactory, stabilization is good (a problem with the N4), but picture quality could be better.
  • Battery Life: So far in about one day of using it, looking to be a tiny bit better than the N4's, or at least the same.

For protecting the N5, I am thinking maybe a front screen protector, and possibly a back protector (BSE or dbrand), and a bumper (not the LG fake "bumper"). I don't like cases, but a case is a must -- the bumper saved my N4 a few times and it is still in perfect condition a year later, even dropping it on asphalt and wood floors.

I don't know if there is a pouch that offers openings for both the 3.5mm jack and Micro USB port simultaneously. For pouches and sleeves, which generally have one opening to slide the phone in and can be made by hand, I'd go find an artisan on etsy. If you need a specific person to ask, look for "Begoos" there and ask her if she can make one if you can't find anything. Here are some pics of my custom N4 pouch that she made extra big to fit my bumper:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37844837

Textra

I was a huge stock Message guy, could only run the stock vanilla Messaging app, I downloaded and tried all the other big names ones, and they all suck; Go SMS :rolleyes: Handcent :rolleyes: 8SMS :rolleyes: Those all fell slow and bloated, and laggy.

But Textra just rocks, super light, very fast, has 'Group' messaging option, that truly works, can set it to a dark theme, and it looks better than the stock vanilla messaging app.

I agree that Hangouts is just fucked up :confused: WTF is Google smoking with that thing :p People are just looking for the Android version of iMessage, and Google just won't or can't offer that for some reason.

Thanks for the tip. Was using Go SMS, which was okay, but terribly bloated. Will give Textra a spin.

On a related note, what launcher / theme apps do you guys like? Nova launcher is decent, Go launcher ex - see feelings on GO SMS above. I just tried Themer, which is cool but a bit to minimalist for my tastes.

Thanks for the tip. Was using Go SMS, which was okay, but terribly bloated. Will give Textra a spin.

On a related note, what launcher / theme apps do you guys like? Nova launcher is decent, Go launcher ex - see feelings on GO SMS above. I just tried Themer, which is cool but a bit to minimalist for my tastes.

I'm a diehard Nova guy myself, just so many options if you get the "Prime" version. I love Nova.

Set it to like a 5 x 6 grid. Make the icons at 90% size, and run a different icon pack, like Axis, and it rocks.
I also have Nova set to "Faster than light" speed, my S4 screams, warp speed fast.

I just found out you will be able to get this activated on Ting. Now I just have to wait a month before it ships. :(

Left my HTC One overseas. Now the question is should I get another HTC One or the Nexus 5...

I MO.. It's better if that is possible due to it being a larger screen. The One has huge bezels around the edges compared to the N5 and the the N5 is only marginally larger in physical size but the extra width of the N5 makes it seem significantly larger. Watch a movie from the Play Store in HD on both phones and you will see the difference immediately. I have my N5 set at 10% brightness and it has been perfect as the Auto brightness actually is too aggressive and gets too bright. The extra brightness helps outside in the sun as the N5 is better outdoors.

Colors are very comparable but I prefer the N5. No washed out colors on mine. It is as sharp as the One but with much more real estate.

HTC One - 137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3 mm @ 143 grams - 4.7" screen

Nexus 5 - 137.9 x 69.2 x 8.6 mm @ 130 grams - 4.95" screen (the extra width plus smaller bezels makes all of the difference in what you are looking at)

HTC One has a great screen, but I always thought it was too narrow due to the large bezels and the N5 really got the screen dimensions right as it does not feel much larger in the hand and the screen just seems huge when you have them side by side watching the same thing on both.

Last edited:
My Black 32GB N5 now has a snow (static TV channel) defect in the lower 2/3 of the screen. It's almost like a filter. I just started using it yesterday.

I have no idea how it happened. No bumps, or drops. The glass front and back are still in perfect condition, no cracks. I took it with me outside in my jacket pocket with an additional pouch covering it and came back home to see it like this. I thought I took as good care of it as I think anyone here would. I didn't even take the front screen protector off yet as I was waiting to order a real one.

Google customer support is super nice and they are going to pay for shipping even without me asking for it.

RIP Nexus 5... I was starting to really like this phone. This is still an AWESOME device and highly recommend it. I think I like its looks as much as the N4 even. Just got unlucky somehow.

08py.jpg

I think I'm going to be getting back out the One- the N5 is nice, but once you get past the faster processor, it's a step down IMO- camera, sound quality, etc.

any ideas on case? I've always struggled with this on phones...you rarely have the chance to see the case before you buy it, and often end up buying based on anecdotal evidence. I wish it could be different this time!!

I have the spigen slim armor case and the glas.tr screen protector- it's a very nice combo.

I recommend buying a few $1 cases on ebay, they may not be the same quality as the commercial ones but are close enough and have many different styles to see which one you like best w.r.t how bulky it is vs protection.

I finally dropped Verizon as I was tired of them not getting Nexus devices and just the general BS. I had to go to a more local GSM provider but they have HSPA+ and with prepaid I am paying $45 a month for unlimited everything, in 90 days it drops to $40 a month. Pretty good deal.

On the topic of cases I have a couple already...

Spigen Slim Armour - This is a nice case and I will use it from time to time, it just adds a bit more bulk than I would like.

Spigen Slim Ultra Fit - I love this case, it barley adds any bulk and it offers decent protection for the sides and camera. Granted it won't protect in a hard fall but I think in all my years I have only dropped one phone on a hard surface so I don't need bulky protection.

Spigen Slim Ultra Fit - I love this case, it barley adds any bulk and it offers decent protection for the sides and camera. Granted it won't protect in a hard fall but I think in all my years I have only dropped one phone on a hard surface so I don't need bulky protection.

Any concerns with respect to scratching the phone at all?

New phone feel ruined by the dreaded dead pixel(s). :p One is bigger so it might be 2 clustered close together. Easy RMA process though.

I've been having some bad luck with displays on products recently. Massive backlight bleed when trying to get a laptop.

Any concerns with respect to scratching the phone at all?
I've had mine since Thursday and I already have a very small scratch on the screen. I have to really look for it with the screen off and at just the right angle with perfect lighting but it's there. It prompted a trip to Amazon for a screen protector. I've taken care of my phone...it's always alone in my back pocket and I made sure to keep my hands clean when using it. I'm disappointed in the Gorilla Glass on this thing.

I dropped the phone for the first time last night on a tennis court and the edges of the phone appear to be very soft. The soft touch on the trim ring dings up very easily.

I've had mine since Thursday and I already have a very small scratch on the screen. I have to really look for it with the screen off and at just the right angle with perfect lighting but it's there. It prompted a trip to Amazon for a screen protector. I've taken care of my phone...it's always alone in my back pocket and I made sure to keep my hands clean when using it. I'm disappointed in the Gorilla Glass on this thing.

I dropped the phone for the first time last night on a tennis court and the edges of the phone appear to be very soft. The soft touch on the trim ring dings up very easily.

I'm surprised about the screen - is it possible that the scratch happened before you got the phone?

I'm NOT surprised about the plastic. That soft-touch material feels like it would get fucked up really easily. That's why I'm wondering about cases, specifically whether the case ITSELF will scratch the phone.

I'm surprised about the screen - is it possible that the scratch happened before you got the phone?
Nope. It definitely happened after. It's in the exact location my thumb hits when I unlock. Two very fine scratches that follow the curvature of an unlock swipe.

I'm NOT surprised about the plastic. That soft-touch material feels like it would get fucked up really easily. That's why I'm wondering about cases, specifically whether the case ITSELF will scratch the phone.
I don't care much about dings on phones but that might change after owning an N5. The soft touch back isn't very durable so I imagine in a year it will look trashed. I'm still not putting a case on it. There's no point in a having a slim, light, beautiful phone if it's in a big, heavy, ugly case all the time.

I'm not putting a case on my N5 either. My N4 did just fine without one. Has a ding or two, but nothing noticeable from > 3 feet. Totally agreed about keeping the phone slim and pretty. This also factors in that I'm pretty responsible with my phone and while I wouldn't want to have to replace it - I would never buy a phone more expensive than I'd be willing to deal with being lost / stolen / broken.

The only protection I had for my Nexus 4 was film on the back glass piece. I find that a case or screen protector alters the characteristics of those two aspects, basically the look and feel of both essentially, too much. I might use a skin or film (thinking about the glossy sides) on the Nexus 5 as well though but partially for aesthetic reasons as well (change the sides to white or even the front face). I got the white version.

Decided to double check again today before committing to the RMA and yeah it is dead pixels for sure. I didn't expect it would possible to see dead pixels on a 400 PPI screen but was wrong I guess. Or maybe it is more then one clustered to together, can't find a magnifying glass around to tell. Guess we need higher PPI :p

I think I like its looks as much as the N4 even. Just got unlucky somehow.

I was concerned that the N5 would be a step down in those aspects from the N4 I had but I found it looks and feels better to me in person then I thought it would from the pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXTX21BGiSI - Nexus 5 vs iphone 5s video / audio.

I actually like the Nexus 5's video focus and color, but the 5s tends to let in more light when it's needed. I'm not sure what is going on with the poor audio quality on the 5s, that doesn't seem like something Apple would allow into mass production.

This guy has some good videos - mostly android, but some apple stuff as well.

Hopefully the fix for the camera focus speed closes the picture-taking gap a bit. The 5s is definitely better in that regard, but Google's camera-app is fairly meager. There are more full-featured camera app options like camera fv-5, but I'm not sure that solves any problems.

I personally don't care about the camera much, so my Nexus 4 will do.

Android Central's Nexus 5 review;
http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-review
LG’s second Ne​xus is the best phone you can buy for $350, and an excellent platform on which to experience the new Android 4.4 KitKat — but that experience isn’t entirely free from compromises

Battery life and wi​reless charging
Battery life is probably the closest thing the Nexus 5 has to an Achilles’ heel. And if you really need it to get you through the full day, every day, that might be a reason to consider purchasing another phone instead.

Back