Nexus 6 speculation

Can the bloatware be uninstalled.

From the article it sounds like it (which is good) but still kind of bogus. I wonder where the fine print is that says ATT can install software onto your phone because you are using their network. Dont you have to accept the permissions/application requests?

Not sure why ATT insists on being such di*ks lately.
iPad sim works on every carrier, yeah, let us 'fix' that for you.
New phone, cool, let us drop a bunch of shit on there you didnt ask for.

Kind of defeats the purpose of 'universal' and non-proprietary', but that is corporate america I suppose. Abuse it till you loose it. Still, hopeful to track one of these unicorns down, however.

I am surprised there has been zero communication. Either Google does not want to piss off the carriers or something ominous is lurking. Even with the poor roll out of the N4 it at least came out what happened (poor determination of desirability) and everyone accepted what it was and efforts were made to increase production. As it is now, it is making me wonder if there are larger issues. May have to wait till there are a number of these in the wild to see how they perform.

I'd gladly take the bloat if I could order a 64gb on verizon right now. You can change roms on the phone so its a non issue even if it came with bloat you couldn't remove. I'm not planning on keeping it stock at all, google has their own idea of how android should be but they luckily let us change it and I will be changing it since google's vision of android needs some tweaks.

The availability issue probably has to do with the fact that they probably have a contract for so many phones a month to be produced, if they need more it costs extra, if they go under then there are penalties. Initial demand is high but after that they probably don't want to be stuck with penalties because demand isn't there after release for a ton of phones.

Does anyone recall what time Wednesday Google releases more stock? I've been refreshing thinking that it was 1100 EST.

T-Mo store is literally three minutes from my apartment. I'm gonna go in and check for ha-has. I'm gonna bet on I get looked at like I have testicles on my chin :D

Considering that Lollipop isn't even released, it's hard to understand how those numbers are "reality".

I'm just stunned that (vs Nexus 5) a 40% larger battery, with a 20% larger screen (presumably more power efficient than IPS) translates into 10% worse battery life? Extremely similar specs vs the Note 4, but HALF the battery life!? What the shit.

Considering that Lollipop isn't even released, it's hard to understand how those numbers are "reality".

Technically the version they were running was not the shipping code, but still...it's hard to believe they would send something to reviewers with such a significant battery bug.

So the main Tmobile store in my area seems to have them in, but they can't sell them before the 19th Grrrrrr :(

The reviews are disappointing on the battery life and screen department. Honestly I think I may just go with the note 4 developer edition, I wish there was a droid turbo developer edition, that would be my dream, but I don't mind touch wiz and could settle for it since it does have features I like that nexus 6 is missing.

So the main Tmobile store in my area seems to have them in, but they can't sell them before the 19th Grrrrrr :(

Yup, lots of stores received the shipment but its not activated in the system to sell

The reviews are disappointing on the battery life and screen department. Honestly I think I may just go with the note 4 developer edition, I wish there was a droid turbo developer edition, that would be my dream, but I don't mind touch wiz and could settle for it since it does have features I like that nexus 6 is missing.

arstechnica skewered it on storage performance too. Said the Nexus 5 felt faster than the Nexus 6 because of the underperforming storage. Asphalt 8 took like 3x longer to load on the N6 than the N5 or Galaxy Note 4.

Hmmm seeing all of the reviews with a fair number of negative points for the Nexus 6 I have to wonder what is going on behind the scenes?

-Are there dramatic changes to Lollipop that will put the N6 where it should be (on paper at least) in the benchmarks and performance?
-Why is the Nexus 5 completely out of stock, is Google artificially pushing the N6, or is something else afoot?
-The delays in getting N6 stock to the stores bode of supply issues, software complications (ala N5 battery leak, etc) or a combination of the two.

Maybe I am just thinking up plausibilities because the device seemed to be a good mix of desired traits (for me), but it just seems like there something more at play here that has not been revealed. If that is the case, I am cautiously optimistic. I would like to see this device be a success, but in its current state of affairs, I dont think I can order it. Maybe the Goog bit off more than it could chew this go around?

Not sure why but the gsm arena review is quite positive: http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_nexus_6-review-1164.php

It sounds like they weren't able to really test it. Their first page says the review was conducted away from their test labs and that is why they didn't do their normal testing. I would say this makes some of their evaluations a bit suspect. For example they say the screens brightness is impressive, however the screen scored the second worst brightness on the Anandtech review which actually measured the brightness.

arstechnica skewered it on storage performance too. Said the Nexus 5 felt faster than the Nexus 6 because of the underperforming storage. Asphalt 8 took like 3x longer to load on the N6 than the N5 or Galaxy Note 4.

Something to remember is that these reviews are all already out of date using pre-release software. Things like battery and general speediness may already be better optimized.

Me, I got my N6 accessories in the mail today. SIM card comes tomorrow or Friday.

Update: Ars Technicas benchmarks are the result of something simple and fundamentally skewed in their benchmarks:

Nexus 5 did not have OS encryption enabled
Nexus 6 at their default did have encryption activated

That is your flash memory performance benchmark discrepancy right there. Woulda thought those eggheads would have figured that out and compensated for it.

Anandtech has a review of the Nexus 6 up and the results are not good. The display is poorly calibrated and the battery life is very bad. Here's a link: Nexus 6

Such a disappointment. :(

69109.png

El-oh-el.

68989.png

El-oh-el.

icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

Not on a chipset without AES instructions.

Regarding SSD performance here's what Anand thinks of Ars Technica's SSD benchmarks:

Anand said:
To test NAND performance on the Nexus 6 we attempted to use Androbench and Andebench, but both gave results that could not have been accurate and so we are unfortunately unable to test this aspect of the Nexus 6 at this time.

Anandtech has a review of the Nexus 6 up and the results are not good. The display is poorly calibrated and the battery life is very bad. Here's a link: Nexus 6

I saw a N6 in person weeks ago, and the screen was like looking at a Note 2 @ 5.9"
The Note 4 overshadows the N6 with it's screen quality, better build and S-Pen.

I wouldn't pay $699 for stock Android. I will buy a used N5 during the Holidays.

Cancelled my blue 32gb from Google and ordered a white 32gb white from Motorola today.

Just got my confirmation email from Motorola with expected delivery by Dec. 2.

Glad it's going to take a little while to get to me as my LG G3 arrived today and already having a OnePlus One my wife is wondering what's up.

I'm going to have to sell one before the Nexus 6 arrives.

G3 size is what all of these phablet phones should be. It really is remarkable what they did with the bezels. Have to see if the battery on the G3 is in the same ballpark as the OnePlus One as I have not had anything like it except possibly my Note 3.

Except The Verge says the battery lasted 14 hours?

I was amazed The Verge gave this phone such a high score. More strange because I was sure of all the sites they would hate it.

Except The Verge says the battery lasted 14 hours?

Reading articles on "The Verge" is like watching TMZ to get the latest breaking news. I'll believe the results from a site like Anandtech way before anything Nilay and his crew of misfits at The Verge publish!

Reading articles on "The Verge" is like watching TMZ to get the latest breaking news. I'll believe the results from a site like Anandtech way before anything Nilay and his crew of misfits at The Verge publish!

The question is were they running the same Android version?

Hey now, TMZ is these days just as if not more a journalistic outlet than CNN or Fox.

Update, the cause of the lowball SSD benches is a simple fstab flag (what needs done is changing "/forceencrypt" to "encryptable"). Knowing the minds out there on this device, hopefully a way to change said entry will be found shortly. Half the battle is knowing the problem, and it is well documented (unlike Sammy software).

Should bring up the SSD speeds as well as improve battery life a bit as well.

Update, the cause of the lowball SSD benches is a simple fstab flag (what needs done is changing "/forceencrypt" to "encryptable"). Knowing the minds out there on this device, hopefully a way to change said entry will be found shortly. Half the battle is knowing the problem, and it is well documented (unlike Sammy software).

Should bring up the SSD speeds as well as improve battery life a bit as well.

Where are you getting this updated information from?

-Why is the Nexus 5 completely out of stock, is Google artificially pushing the N6, or is something else afoot?
I thought this was very strange too, it's also artificial. Nexus5's are widely available from other retailers, some are offering decent discounts. I recently brought a 32gb Nexus5 for around half what the Nexus6 costs.

I get that they're hiding the N5's to sway people to the N6's, but then they seem to be giving preference to the carriers. Really strange, bit of a cockup if you ask me.

I'm really interested what the Oneplus Two and HTC's phablets bring to the table, hopefully Snapdragon 810's (which the N6 should have had, 20nm + double the GPU speed, basically the root cause of the negatives Anandtech mentioned).

Where are you getting this updated information from?

See:

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/encryption/#what_we’ve_added_for_android_l

"Added the forceencrypt flag to encrypt on first boot."

The options for that flag in fstab are either "forceencrypt" or "encyptable"....the former encrypts on first boot hell or high water, the later makes it optional. Nexus 9 people have been working on this issue already, as all device that ship with Android Lollipop already on it will have it. Turn on encryption on any ARMv7 device and watch read/write speeds plummet.

All future handsets shipping with Lollipop will have this issue.

Back