Nexus 6 speculation

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
So it's getting closer to another Nexus phone release in three months. What do we expect or think we will be getting ?

- Google recently announced at I/O, the Nexus smartphone is NOT dead, and will continue on, even with the upcoming 'Silver' line coming in 2015, which is basically a new name for the GPE line, but with more support from carriers and advertising, and more players involved, etc...

- Most expect it to be named the Nexus 6

- 5.2" to 5.5" screen size has been rumored for the Nexus-Six

- Snapdragon 805 also expected to be in the Nexus-Six

- Asus has been rumored to be the manufacturer this time around. Rumors last year several reports came out that Google wanted LG to start making the Nexus Tablet and have Asus switch to the Nexus smartphone, to help keep costs down. But who knows ? I also heard Sony could be up for it. But LG is out, they even stated so.

- Same price range of $399 is pretty much set.

- October announcement, with a November release has been the trend for the Nexus phone.

Last edited:
Heck, at this point, every OEM has a shot at making the Nexus 6... Even Oppo...

I'm rooting for Motorola, Sony, ASUS, and HTC, and in that order. But I seriously doubt ASUS, because ASUS has a very limited if not no relationship with US carriers. I also doubt Sony, unless Sony makes a phone with less radios than the Nexus 5 and spurn Sprint compatibility.

What would be hilarious is if Google get the current Nokia (the division that Microsoft didn't buy who made that excellent Z Launcher for Android) to make the Nexus 6. Oh, wait, Nokia has a non-compete clause with Microsoft until the end of 2015. Well, we'll see if Google trolls Microsoft in 2016 then!

LOL it will be Oppo :p

Rumors say a 5.5" screen, and the OnePlus One has that. Wouldn't that be crazy, if Oppo got the Nexus-Six contract, and was a better spec'd phone than the OnePlus for the same price.

LOL it will be Oppo :p

Rumors say a 5.5" screen, and the OnePlus One has that. Wouldn't that be crazy, if Oppo got the Nexus-Six contract, and was a better spec'd phone than the OnePlus for the same price.

Yeah. They dont have the resources to supply the Nexus 6(?) so it would be crazy indeed.

If it is 5.5" I'll file it along with G3 as possible Note2 replacements...don't want to go any smaller than that now.

I'm hoping they'll stick with a 5-inch screen size like the current Nexus 5. That's pretty close to the ideal size for me (which is 4.7-inch). 5.5-inch is into phablet territory, which isn't nearly as comfortable for a phone. Besides, wasn't one of the major bitching points with the OnePlus One was that 5.5-inches was too damn big?

I'm hoping they'll stick with a 5-inch screen size like the current Nexus 5. That's pretty close to the ideal size for me (which is 4.7-inch). 5.5-inch is into phablet territory, which isn't nearly as comfortable for a phone. Besides, wasn't one of the major bitching points with the OnePlus One was that 5.5-inches was too damn big?

No, 1+ ticked people off because they claimed the handset would easily contain a Sony handset (can't remember which one)...and it only ended up being marginally bigger (read millimeters).

Yeah. They dont have the resources to supply the Nexus 6(?) so it would be crazy indeed.

Joking about Oppo being chosen by Google for the Nexus 6 phone, no way they get it.

We do know for sure that LG is out, they have officially stated so. And Samsung is no fucking way going to get it. So, that leaves, Asus, Sony, HTC, and doubtfully Motorola, as they were just bought out, and don't think they have time for a Nexus phone, as well as their new Moto X sequel.

HTC is pegged for the Nexus 8 tablet this Fall, would Google also give HTC the Nexus phone to build as well this year ?

Joking about Oppo being chosen by Google for the Nexus 6 phone, no way they get it.

We do know for sure that LG is out, they have officially stated so. And Samsung is no fucking way going to get it. So, that leaves, Asus, Sony, HTC, and doubtfully Motorola, as they were just bought out, and don't think they have time for a Nexus phone, as well as their new Moto X sequel.

HTC is pegged for the Nexus 8 tablet this Fall, would Google also give HTC the Nexus phone to build as well this year ?

Hopefully not HTC. I hated locked bootloaders about as much as Knox.

All these rumors of high end specs at an affordable price are funny. If they use a snapdragon 805 and 5.5" QHD display it will mean they will need a big battery or else its going to have terrible battery life. So they throw in a big battery and now the specs are basically equivalent to the LG G3 and that means the price will be too. Furthermore, the rumors purport that it will have an SD card. At this point it basically is every flagship phone in one besides waterproofing.

I think the specs will be very conservative. Expect to see a 5.2" screen, 1080P, Snapdragon 800/801 and 32gb of ram. Middle of the road specs between current gen phone and whatever is king of the hill today. Chances are they will def squeeze in a bigger battery simply because that's what people are crying for lately. Waterproofing would be an interesting surprise.

Google will not, I repeat, will not build a high end phone with specs exceeding the LG G3 or equivalent LG/Samsung/HTC with a price that undercuts them because it will seriously piss them off.

Last edited:
Well the Nexus 5 should of pissed off just about every handset maker because they did just that.

But I want Motorola to get it damnit! :mad: They needssss it!

Google will not, I repeat, will not build a high end phone with specs exceeding the LG G3 or equivalent LG/Samsung/HTC with a price that undercuts them because it will seriously piss them off.

You must not follow the Nexus phone line over the years ? Every year a lot of people say the same thing, and are proven wrong by Google :) The Nexus phones always match flagship specs, and sometimes come with even better specs, but Google purposely sells the phone at near cost pricing.

Last year, 2013. The two very popular high-end flagships would be considered the HTC One M7, and Samsung Galaxy S4;
- Snapdragon 600
- 2GB RAM
- 2600maH Battery
- 1080p screen

The Nexus 5 that same year comes out with better next gen hardware, and sells it for half the price of the S4 and M7
- Snapdragon 800
- 2GB RAM
- 2300mAh battery
- 1080p screen

Go back to 2012. The Nexus 4 had equal to, or better hardware, than the flag ships, Galaxy S3 and HTC One-X.

Go back to 2011, the Galaxy Nexus, had a 1080p screen, and better hardware, than the Galaxy S2 with 720p screen, and HTC EVO 3D crap.

My point is, the Nexus-Six will for sure guaranteed, have equal specs matching the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, and LG G3, but I think thee N6 will go beyond those, and come with the next gen Snapdragon 805 processor. But not sure if they will stick with 1080p screen, or go 1440p ?

Last edited:
All these rumors of high end specs at an affordable price are funny. If they use a snapdragon 805 and 5.5" QHD display it will mean they will need a big battery or else its going to have terrible battery life. So they throw in a big battery and now the specs are basically equivalent to the LG G3 and that means the price will be too. Furthermore, the rumors purport that it will have an SD card. At this point it basically is every flagship phone in one besides waterproofing.

I think the specs will be very conservative. Expect to see a 5.2" screen, 1080P, Snapdragon 800/801 and 32gb of ram. Middle of the road specs between current gen phone and whatever is king of the hill today. Chances are they will def squeeze in a bigger battery simply because that's what people are crying for lately. Waterproofing would be an interesting surprise.

Those specs aren't "conservative"...they're last years phones.

I think Google is thinking if they announce a phone like that this fall they'll be laughed at by just about every single person who follows Android hardware/software development at all. With specs like that why even release a "new" handset and not just continue selling the N5? I mean srsly.

From a development perspective it won't mean much on the resolution but I do hope they stick to 1080p.

The only weak points on the Nexus phones has been the cameras, batteries, and storage. Everything else about them has been Flagship or better. I think a lot of people don't understand the point of the Nexus phones though when they bitch about the poor battery, camera, or available storage. The phone isn't meant to compete with the G3, S5, HTC1, or the Sony Z2. It's an affordable phone meant for developers to build apps for Android and to showcase the direction Google wants to go with its mobile OS.

My point is, the Nexus-Six will for sure guaranteed, have equal specs matching the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, and LG G3, but I think thee N6 will go beyond those, and come with the next gen Snapdragon 805 processor. But not sure if they will stick with 1080p screen, or go 1440p ?

Alright, you got a point. I didnt carefully consider the specs of previous phones. But what about the fact that by the time the new phone is released, in this case November, all their competitors are already publicizing their next generation phones? The way I think about it, the S5/M8 would have been on the market 8 months before the nexus 6, a few short months after that the Nexus line is once again a generation behind because they matched the years flagships specs. I doubt they will exceed the current flagship specs.

If they are not gimping their phones to not compete directly with their distributors then they are being really liberal by giving them a nice head start.

Those specs aren't "conservative"...they're last years phones.

I think Google is thinking if they announce a phone like that this fall they'll be laughed at by just about every single person who follows Android hardware/software development at all. With specs like that why even release a "new" handset and not just continue selling the N5? I mean srsly.

The M8 and S5 are both powered by an 801, have a 1080P screen and 32gb of storage and both were released this year. The G3 is the only exception. Seems to me that they are basically trailing behind which supports what I said above. If they release a phone better than this years flagships then why would anyone buy the next gen S5 or M8 if they basically got the next gen phone in November?

Last edited:
Talking about display sizes, I would rather get a 21:9 1080p FHD display over 16:9 1440p QHD at 5.5", which is similar in width to a 16:9 5.1" phone (I think).

Who's with me?

@lurker, because nexus typically sucks at battery life and camera.

Talking about display sizes, I would rather get a 21:9 1080p FHD display over 16:9 1440p QHD at 5.5", which is similar in width to a 16:9 5.1" phone (I think).

Who's with me?

Definitely not me.

Smartphones are not used as phones much anymore, they're for texting and internet...and for both of those a narrower screen sucks more for typing and viewing text.

Nexus phones aren't "marketed" for the typical end-user. There is always some compromise with camera, battery life, SD card availability... Something. It is meant to give an up to date platform for developers to use to design ahead, not backwards. Those of us that choose to use them have some more research than a typical user, and have accepted the trade-off for the price and future proofing of the android updates

I was talking to one of my bros the other day, and we were discussing why there is a huge lack of rumors about who is making the next Nexus if Google is indeed making it. Our suspicion is that Google is making the phone internally. Maybe it's Motorola or Google's own Project Ara. Internal leaks are harder to come by.

Maybe it's just me dreaming about a Motorola Nexus. Just right before Lenovo taking Motorola.

Definitely not me.

Smartphones are not used as phones much anymore, they're for texting and internet...and for both of those a narrower screen sucks more for typing and viewing text.

I wish someone would make a 16:10 phone again like the original Note lol

hah, damn I was just kidding and there is actually one out there. I'd love to give this a shot.

Who's with me?

16:9 is my limit and I already hate that. Would 21:9 bring us closer to this?

We are still about 3 months away from the next Nexus phone release, so still early to get any solid rumors or news yet.

But what legit guess do you think Google will choose as the manufacturer for the Nexus 6 ? Asus, Sony, HTC ?

I say we skip this for a snapdragon 810 coming spring next year or if nvidia makes a return to phones with Tegra K1 Denver.

I say we skip this for a snapdragon 810 coming spring next year or if nvidia makes a return to phones with Tegra K1 Denver.

the 805 is still a nice increase over the 800. Waiting is silly since a better phone will come out every 6 months

the 805 is still a nice increase over the 800. Waiting is silly since a better phone will come out every 6 months
well, I was referring to Zorachus, as we both already have the HTC One M8 with a Snapdragon 801. The improvements of a 805 to a 801 are slim, where as the 810 with 64bit and new instruction set will be a difference maker. A Tegra K1 Denver would also completely destroy smartphone graphics benchmarks.

Latest rumor today is that Motorola will be the chosen one for the Nexus 6.

I'll post link later, but I read it on Technobuffalo

Back