Next Xbox Will Block Used Games?

HardOCP News

[H] News
An anonymous source with first hand knowledge of a second hand story someone heard from an unnammed source that might be friends with a janitor that works in the building where the next Xbox is being made says the new console will block used games. Maybe they will be using Sony's patented used game blocking technology. :rolleyes:

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Typed before reading the article (HONEST!):
I know a devious way they could enforce this: assign a SN to a disk. That SN can only be tied to one Xbox live account. End of second hand market.

I read about this while at work today on one of the news sites I tend to browse, I think someone mentioned they would simply be using a one time use serial code in every single game, tied to the account it's registered with.

The "always on" connection thing sorta bothers me though.....if I cant play locally cause their servers go down.....meh

I won't put any stock into this article however if Microsoft does implement an always on/tied to one account lockout I certainly won't be buying the new Xbox. We have 3 gamers in my household and anything that could limit the use of a single game to one per or one console just won't work. An always on connection is just as bad if your connection is down you're locked out until service is restored. I don't think they would hamstring themselves this badly but stranger things have happened.

So if this is true, what happens to companies like gamefly?

I saw this shit all day on 4chan.

I laughed at it then, I'll laugh at it now.

I fail to see how this is journalism when you have no credible sources.

I hope so. Not that I want people to lose their jobs, but the stores I've been to treat PC gamers like filth.

*Not referring to Gamefly. I was referring to Gamestop. I hate those creeps.

It seems to me that Microsoft wants to prevent people from using banned Xbox systems to continue playing games with mods. I understand that, but you want every single legit user to pay the price for that?

I dont see it being implemented this coming generation. But even then I'm not too worried about it. Granted I do get most my console games used but I'll get used to it. This won't make not get the next xbox. Just means I give gamestop less money.

Typed before reading the article (HONEST!):
I know a devious way they could enforce this: assign a SN to a disk. That SN can only be tied to one Xbox live account. End of second hand market.

Basically do as Blizzard does with it's games now?

That said, fuck them and their business model if they pull the trigger on it.

I honestly don't see this happening for the simple reason that MS can't risk implementing this and Song not doing it.

If one of the two does block used games it gives the other one a huge advantage because if you had the option of buying a console that supported used games and another that didn't which would you buy?

Of course there is the possibility that the console will be built to support it but it won't be mandatory. That's more likely to happen but also much more likely to fail.

I don't like this.

I think when this idea is implemented we will see the last of any mom and pop style video game stores. There aren't many left as is but it makes me sad to think they're going to die off.

I don't put any stock in the rumor. I am pretty sure MS knows full well that if they did this they would utterly kill their market by alienating customers. I know for me the second consoles require always on DRM bs like PC's is the second I don't buy that console. MS is already on my shit list and unlikely to buy with their bullshit no multiplayer games unless you pay for Live.

They want to kill the used game market.

Stockholders believe we're all 'muppets' and will eat whatever terms they shovel at us with very few changing their behavior.

So what stockholders see is a tiny fraction of customers turned away and huge percentage of those buying used games becoming new game buyers. And their games taking a hell of a lot longer to drop in price because there's no used market to compete with.

I can't say people often do much dispel this notion. The whole phone plan gouging situation that people line up for does a good job of making them think they are right.

But if consumers do react negatively, Microsoft will respond initially by insulting their customers as a bunch of rage quitters or too stupid to understand the brilliance of this move. Then they will go to their post-introductory price sooner and maybe offer an incentive or xbox 360 trade in plan. People's lust for a perceived bargain will override their outrage and Microsoft will win.

I don't even buy used games and I'll pass on consoles from here on out if they start to implement this junk. I've got a backlog that'll last me for a long time anyways.

wether or not all of this actually happens....I don't know, but it is logical to move in this direction (just as it follows the logic of Win8)

At the end of the day, it's being slowly turned into a terminal with the user having no real control over anything.....with Microsoft in control of everything. Not to mention a constant prying eye into your home.

When will these people learn you can't keep any media from being duplicated. Hell reading this suddenly gave me a urge to visit pirate bay lol :)

“Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU”. Good for running Linux on, then.

I am guessing that it will have a 1TB single platter HDD. Total price $399. If it can run existing Xbox360 games (better), then up to $499.

“Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU”. Good for running Linux on, then.

I am guessing that it will have a 1TB single platter HDD. Total price $399. If it can run existing Xbox360 games (better), then up to $499.

it will not play xbox 360 anything with a amd and microsoft dont give jack about emukator and they wont put the xbox 360 cpu in it theh are cheep

They would hands down win the console battle if they made it used games friendly and Sony didn't.

They would hands down win the console battle if they made it used games friendly and Sony didn't.

From the looks of it (based on rumors and the patent) the Sony console would allow resale, just with an online pass system (like they do now). MS is kind of known for charging for rediculous things (Xbox Live and its paid for and ad supported p2p gaming) and squeezing everything, so their system would probably be more...strict.

Though there's always the used game friendly WiiU :D

it will not play xbox 360 anything with a amd and microsoft dont give jack about emukator and they wont put the xbox 360 cpu in it theh are cheep

Yes, probably. They will re-release Call of Duty etc, with higher resolution textures etc. I would be surprised, though, if they allow the re-use of the software licence on an updated version.

It would be within Microsoft’s interest to do so. Not so much within the interest of the games producer though.

Basically do as Blizzard does with it's games now?

That said, fuck them and their business model if they pull the trigger on it.

Well, the difference is, IMO, Blizzard game's are online games and whatever they do, is limited to each individual games they make. Not a huge fan of Diablo 3 myself, but it HAS to be online because they wanted real money trading, so items and drops have to be generated server side, for example. But that's Diablo 3, anyone not playing it doesn't need to be concern about it.

Xbox however is a gaming platform, so if they were to implement such a thing, it would affect every single title to ever run on that new console. It would be as if Microsoft said to play any PC games on Windows 9, you need to be online and in contact with our server. So regardless of whether you're playing WoW or Baldur's Gate, you need to be online all the time.

So it does have a huge impact. I'm not marching with pitchforks and torches against something like this of course, but it does have an impact and I don't think Microsoft will do it unless they knew Sony would do it too, and that could happen.

Bullshit. Don't believe it for a minute. Microsoft isn't a major developer for the 360 nor was it for the original Xbox. What do they care?

Its rumor nonsense pure and simple.

Microsoft needs Gamestop and the like to stay happy promoting their console like a cheap whore that they are to survive. Gamestop as it stands makes nearly all its revenue from used game sales but it also acts as a major advertisement for console manufacturers and without question MS gets the lions share of advertisement.

Forcing an Internet connection to play games? Not unless MS wants to stop making consoles ..because that'll be the result if people can't play games offline.

75.9 million Xbox 360's worldwide as of December of the last year. At the peak of the network last year their were only 2.2 million concurrent members online playing games. There was however nearly 10 million people using Xbox Live's nongaming applications at maximum all at once last year. That's a grand total 12.2 million people actually on live in total.

So MS is going to basically say "Fuck all the rest of you 63.7 Million owners that want in on the next Xbox". :rolleyes:

I don't buy used games or use gamefly but if I want to share a game with my nephews or use it on another system in my household not being able to would color my decision to not buy a new gen xbox. MS can't be this stupid.

RSS feed. Saves time. Can I interest you in a cookie and a tall glass of cold milk?

I just recently started investing more into the rss feeds, love it!

I don't believe the next console will have this. I'll buy more into this rumor if ms comes out and states it.

I hope this is true.

I don't buy used console games as is, but as there is essentially no used market for PC games, you would think I must be getting charged out the nose, right? Far from it.

The same sale structure will prevail in this (supposed) new console game market.

I will personally travel to wherever the last Gamestop store is when it closes its doors permanently and throw vegetables. That place is The Worst.

Back