Next Gen Consoles

Marees

Limp Gawd
Storage Matters: Why Xbox and Playstation SSDs Usher In A New Era of Gaming

Ryan Smith (@RyanSmithAT) Tweeted:
Given the massive leap in perf that SSDs will give the next-gen consoles, @Billy_Tallis has put together a fantastic article on the subject, outlining the technology and why MS & Sony made the decisions they did. It's everything you didn't know you wanted to know #weekendreading
https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/1271439948827160577?s=20

AnandTech (@anandtech) Tweeted:
The switch to SSDs may be the most exciting feature of the upcoming Microsoft Xbox Series X and Sony Playstation 5. Here's our take on what to expect from the new console SSDs and what it means for the gaming industry as a whole.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15848/storage-matters-xbox-ps5-new-era-of-gaming
https://twitter.com/anandtech/status/1271437394181451778?s=20

schlitzbull

Limp Gawd
If these consoles retail for <600 USD i might make the jump -- that's a lot of hardware for such a tiny price that the equivalent gaming PC likely won't match
My thoughts exactly. Im mid htpc build for my office and will probably sell those parts and my Nvidia Shield for this. Im hoping the discless ps5 goes for $450.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Ori dev says what we're all thinking. And with UE5 allowing artists to be lazy with their assets it's going to get even worse.

1592419742128.png

Marees

Limp Gawd
Ori dev says what we're all thinking. And with UE5 allowing artists to be lazy with their assets it's going to get even worse.

View attachment 254411
Fortunately (for Microsoft) their architecture allows the external cartridge to be as fast as internal NVMe card. I don't think there is any size limit either (even though they have mentioned only 1TB to start with)

Microsoft have the perfect Razor & Blade model with series X !!!

Nolan7689

[H]ard|Gawd
Fortunately (for Microsoft) their architecture allows the external cartridge to be as fast as internal NVMe card. I don't think there is any size limit either (even though they have mentioned only 1TB to start with)

Sony is allowing effectively the same, the PS5 has an internal M.2 slot and Sony is testing drives for compatibility in terms of performance/size.

It’s definitely not near as simple though as swapping out an external card though.

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness

Sony is allowing effectively the same, the PS5 has an internal M.2 slot and Sony is testing drives for compatibility in terms of performance/size.

It’s definitely not near as simple though as swapping out an external card though.
Both are going to be e expensive.

Stitch1

Weaksauce
So the latest rumors on the Xbox Series S is that it will share the same CPU as the X but with a cut down GPU. The long time rumor was a 4TFs GPU but now people are saying all kinds of different numbers. The idea is this is a 1080/1440 machine with a cut down GPU with less compute units and less ram. However, it is said to still have ray tracing. Not bad if the price point rumors are true. Some are saying as low as $199.

jarablue

Gawd
Can't install more then 10 to 15 games? How about install 1 game and immerse yourself in it. And play it to start to finish. We've gotten so fat and greedy with no attention span now

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
Can't install more then 10 to 15 games? How about install 1 game and immerse yourself in it. And play it to start to finish. We've gotten so fat and greedy with no attention span now
Yea for most people it won't matter to then. They buy the next Madden and CoD game and never play the old ones again. I generally don't go back to play old games and only games I like to keep installed bars fighting for when friends come over for drunken street fighter and the likes.

Marees

Limp Gawd
So the latest rumors on the Xbox Series S is that it will share the same CPU as the X but with a cut down GPU. The long time rumor was a 4TFs GPU but now people are saying all kinds of different numbers. The idea is this is a 1080/1440 machine with a cut down GPU with less compute units and less ram. However, it is said to still have ray tracing. Not bad if the price point rumors are true. Some are saying as low as $199.
Xbox Series X was reportedly slated to launch in August with Series S launching in October

https://mspoweruser.com/xbox-series-x-launch-august-series-s-after-october/

Reported by The Thurrot, Microsoft’s original plans for the Xbox Series family of next-gen consoles originally saw the more powerful Xbox Series X release as early as late August.

While the Xbox Series X release date is currently unknown, rumours have been suggesting that the console is set to launch alongside the lower-powered Xbox Series S that was originally set to launch in October.

the Xbox Series S announcement was pushed to a later date which many outlets believe is scheduled for August.

However, Thurrot does not fully believe that Lockhart is set to be announced in August. The outlet’s consistent sources have yet to confirm to the website whether or not the console will be announced then as part of Xbox’s 20/20 marketing push.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Xbox Series X was reportedly slated to launch in August with Series S launching in October

https://mspoweruser.com/xbox-series-x-launch-august-series-s-after-october/

Reported by The Thurrot, Microsoft’s original plans for the Xbox Series family of next-gen consoles originally saw the more powerful Xbox Series X release as early as late August.

While the Xbox Series X release date is currently unknown, rumours have been suggesting that the console is set to launch alongside the lower-powered Xbox Series S that was originally set to launch in October.

the Xbox Series S announcement was pushed to a later date which many outlets believe is scheduled for August.

However, Thurrot does not fully believe that Lockhart is set to be announced in August. The outlet’s consistent sources have yet to confirm to the website whether or not the console will be announced then as part of Xbox’s 20/20 marketing push.
Thurrott is usually pretty good with information, but I don't believe this one. The release window has been "Holiday 2020" every since it was revealed to the public. It also does not make sense that the marketing strategy of releasing a new console during the Christmas shopping season would change with this one, unless Microsoft is really worried about competing with Sony this generation and wanted to be first.
1593704248191.png

MS Power User also editorialized what Thurrott actually said. Thurrott attributed nothing about the supposed release window change to China Virus. Here is the original article, which is linked in the quote but I'm separating it here:
https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/237240/the-latest-on-lockhart