Newbie at Electronics Repair. Need Some Help with GTX 1070.

Anthrac1t3

n00b
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and to messing with computer hardware in general. I recently was able to repair my old RX580 and so my hubris took me to buying a cheap, for parts 1070 ROG STRIX on eBay and now I'm stuck.

I should also mention that I'm a CS student and have no formal training in electrical engineering so I can't really tell you something like what a buck converter circuit looks like but I know what it does but I'm doing my best to learn.

Before I started all of this. The card would power on, fans would spin properly and it would light up but would not be detected by any mother board I put it into.

So I got the card, first checked for any shorts. None on the 12v or 3.3v rails then went and tested the converted power rails and found the following.

5v (at inductor below VCORE): 0.960 kOhm
1.8v (at farthest left inductor): 129.7 Ohm
PEX (at inductor below GPU): 22.1 Ohm
Memory: 106.1 Ohm
Core: 0.3 Ohm

From what information I could find. I believe that 1.8v and PEX are far to low indicating a short somewhere. It also looks like core is a bit low. Am I correct?

Also I checked all my voltages when the card was live and found the following.

1.8v = 1.823v
PEX = 1.03v
5v = 5.01v
Mem = 1.51v
Core = 0.828v

Thank y'all in advanced!

Attachments

• 20210619_111806.jpg
    20210619_111806.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 0
To make this repair possible you might have to have a working card (if no schematics, or people with prior experience chime in). Pretty hard to T/S and assume something is okay/broken, especially if you don’t know what that circuit does anyways.

To make this repair possible you might have to have a working card (if no schematics, or people with prior experience chime in). Pretty hard to T/S and assume something is okay/broken, especially if you don’t know what that circuit does anyways.
That's kind of what I was hoping for. I certainly don't have the money to get a working 1070 with this market lol

¡Hola a todos! Soy nuevo en el foro y en jugar con el hardware de la computadora en general. Recientemente pude reparar mi viejo RX580 y mi arrogancia me llevó a comprar un 1070 ROG STRIX barato para partes en eBay y ahora estoy atascado.

También debo mencionar que soy un estudiante de informática y no tengo una formación formal en ingeniería eléctrica, por lo que no puedo decirles algo como el aspecto de un circuito convertidor buck, pero sé lo que hace, pero estoy haciendo todo lo posible para aprender.

Antes de empezar todo esto. La tarjeta se enciende, los ventiladores giran correctamente y se enciende, pero ninguna placa madre en la que la coloque la detecte.

Así que obtuve la tarjeta, primero verifiqué si tenía pantalones cortos. Ninguno en los rieles de 12v o 3.3v luego fue y probó los rieles de potencia convertidos y encontró lo siguiente.

5v (en el inductor por debajo de VCORE): 0.960 kOhm
1.8v (en el inductor izquierdo más lejano): 129.7 Ohm
PEX (en el inductor debajo de la GPU): 22,1 ohmios
Memoria: 106,1 ohmios
Núcleo: 0,3 ohmios

De qué información pude encontrar. Creo que 1.8vy PEX son muy bajos, lo que indica un corto en alguna parte. También parece que el núcleo está un poco bajo. ¿Estoy en lo correcto?

También verifiqué todos mis voltajes cuando la tarjeta estaba viva y encontré lo siguiente.

1.8v = 1.823v
PEX = 1.03v
5v = 5.01v
Mem = 1,51 V
Núcleo = 0.828v

¡Gracias a todos de antemano!

¡Hola a todos! Soy nuevo en el foro y en jugar con el hardware de la computadora en general. Recientemente pude reparar mi viejo RX580 y mi arrogancia me llevó a comprar un 1070 ROG STRIX barato para partes en eBay y ahora estoy atascado.

También debo mencionar que soy un estudiante de informática y no tengo una formación formal en ingeniería eléctrica, por lo que no puedo decirles algo como el aspecto de un circuito convertidor buck, pero sé lo que hace, pero estoy haciendo todo lo posible para aprender.

Antes de empezar todo esto. La tarjeta se enciende, los ventiladores giran correctamente y se enciende, pero ninguna placa madre en la que la coloque la detecte.

Así que obtuve la tarjeta, primero verifiqué si tenía pantalones cortos. Ninguno en los rieles de 12v o 3.3v luego fue y probó los rieles de potencia convertidos y encontró lo siguiente.

5v (en el inductor por debajo de VCORE): 0.960 kOhm
1.8v (en el inductor izquierdo más lejano): 129.7 Ohm
PEX (en el inductor debajo de la GPU): 22,1 ohmios
Memoria: 106,1 ohmios
Núcleo: 0,3 ohmios

De qué información pude encontrar. Creo que 1.8v y PEX son muy bajos, lo que indica un corto en alguna parte. También parece que el núcleo está un poco bajo. ¿Estoy en lo correcto?

También verifiqué todos mis voltajes cuando la tarjeta estaba viva y encontré lo siguiente.

1.8v = 1.823v
PEX = 1.03v
5v = 5.01v
Mem = 1,51 V
Núcleo = 0.828v

¡Gracias a todos de antemano!

Attachments

• GALAX GTX 1060 P45U Rev V10 Схема.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Also could someone tell me what PEX, PL and PLL mean?
PEX - PCIe signal voltage
PL - Not sure. Maybe Phase-Lock?
PLL - Phase-Locked Loop, often used to generate clocks from a lower input clock source.

All of your voltages look fine. The PEX and core resistances are going to be very low because the operating voltage is so low.

If the card functions well enough to have all of the voltages, I'd suspect either a dead GPU, or a cracked BGA joint under the GPU. You could try to reflow the GPU with a bunch of flux and a hot air station, but it's better to remove and reball the GPU.

PEX - PCIe signal voltage
PL - Not sure. Maybe Phase-Lock?
PLL - Phase-Locked Loop, often used to generate clocks from a lower input clock source.

All of your voltages look fine. The PEX and core resistances are going to be very low because the operating voltage is so low.

If the card functions well enough to have all of the voltages, I'd suspect either a dead GPU, or a cracked BGA joint under the GPU. You could try to reflow the GPU with a bunch of flux and a hot air station, but it's better to remove and reball the GPU.
Pretty much this.

Only other thing that comes to my mind is something related to the BIOS, but that seems unlikely unless you have reason to believe the last owner was a l337 hax0r who would put a customized BIOS on this for some reason.

Does the GPU get hot - it should be to hot to the touch after around 5 seconds. If that isn't the case I could think of either a broken shunt or something else in the current measuring section or potentially no clock.
Can you run the PC with the iGPU or other graphics card? If that's the case you might want to open GPU - Z and check whether it gets recognised.

Back