Newark action!

Borgschulze said:
If I wake up and you aren't past 3ghz, Grr. Just Grr. I wanna see this thing do at leat 3ghz, C'mon! I know you can do it Eclipse!
i'll see what i can do. 1.6v topped out at 2.96ghz for a screen.. which isn't much over 1.55. i might pump 1.7 for an extremely limited time just to get that shot off.

time to work on my ram issues though. stupid bios :(

Now to find an actual mobile board that can overclock, and it'll be one sweet laptop.

With one short battery life.

ashmedai said:
Now to find an actual mobile board that can overclock, and it'll be one sweet laptop.

With one short battery life.
Get me a really big UPS and some 2x4s and I'll make you a mobile computer!

(cf)Eclipse said:
don't worry, your claw is better than mine.

Pfsh, your Claw is a 3200+....mine is a 3400+ and barely scales any higher. Mine is a POS by comparison...I should hit 2.5GHz by your scaling. ;) Damn you and your better processors. Well, I'm off to bed....I better wake up to a 3GHz screen. :D

tsuehpsyde said:
Pfsh, your Claw is a 3200+....mine is a 3400+ and barely scales any higher. Mine is a POS by comparison...I should hit 2.5GHz by your scaling. ;) Damn you and your better processors. Well, I'm off to bed....I better wake up to a 3GHz screen. :D

If it makes you feel better, I can do 2.5ghz on 1.45v on my claw :)

Haha, seriously though, 2.35ghz isnt bad when coupled with the 1mb of cache.

How's 2.7GHz game-but-not-quite-Prime'able on a Newcastle, somewhere under 1.8V but with a weak-as-hell memory controller? I just got two sticks of 3700EB today (thanks, Bradbowl!), and at least one of them can MemTest 530-550 about 50% of the time (3-3-2-8, more impressive than it looks because of the EB), and RAID-screen the other half. I'm fairly sure it's my MC that's limiting- I'll find out tomorrow or Friday, when FedEx delivers the Booster, or as soon as I plug in the other one.

BTW, I thought I read at Bleedingedge/OCZ Support that 3700EB gets exchanged for 4400 in the event of incompatibility- can anyone confirm or deny? One of my friends may trade me for some BH-ish stuff, except that I believe he has the Neo2 that the EB doesn't like over 220/440; I don't want him to trade if he'll end up with a dead-end solution.

i'm at 2.7ghz, 1.45v right now :D

here's my max screen for the night. 1.7v is interesting. just made it to 3.1ghz. sorry for not getting it verified, but it just wasn't stable enough to do :(

cpu-3105a.PNG

edited for 3.1ghz!

See if Chilly1 can make you a discounted super-chiller for that little beauty... ;) 3GHz doesn't seem so impressive after that, you should start shooting for FOUR! :eek:

mavalpha said:
See if Chilly1 can make you a discounted super-chiller for that little beauty... ;) 3GHz doesn't seem so impressive after that, you should start shooting for FOUR! :eek:

Yeah but he got it to 3.1ghz.

last i heard, these cpu's have a cold bug. i'm sure i could get a screen around 3.3-3.4ghz with decent vapo though.. it's just a matter of willing to sacrifice the cpu, which i don't want to do as this is my 24/7 rig now ;)

I've heard it go both ways with the Venice-subzero bug, I think the glitch probably kicks in below a certain point- most likely negatives are fine, just not negative ONE HUNDRED-range temps. I'm sure running it at minus fifteen or so will be fine.

And on that note, my laundry is calling me. G'night!

mavalpha said:
I've heard it go both ways with the Venice-subzero bug, I think the glitch probably kicks in below a certain point- most likely negatives are fine, just not negative ONE HUNDRED-range temps. I'm sure running it at minus fifteen or so will be fine.

A minus 15 would be like a cheap Mach 1 or Vapochill XE.

yeah, i think a prebuild phase will get me down there. the cpu seems to run really cool. idling at 23.5c right now, 2.7ghz, 1.45v :D (air temps are probably ~15-18 though)

also, just saw something. pay close attention to this.
http://www.freewebs.com/cfeclipse/newark1.png
notice that i have hyper-threading? i found that really amusing, but i know there's no hardware support for it.

(cf)Eclipse said:
OMFG! :eek:

Where did you get this proc and for how much again?

you didn't sand down the core again, did you? b/c 23.5ºC (even at 18ºC ambient) is still damned good (almost unbelievable) at 3.1gHz. BTW what HSF are you running on that Mobile XP64? What mobo (MSI, right?)

robberbaron said:
If it makes you feel better, I can do 2.5ghz on 1.45v on my claw :)

Lmao, I might be laughing, but that is so not funny. :D

And nice screenshot eclipse....3.1GHz on socket 754. Represent!

Pretty damn impressive for a "dead socket format" no? ;)

I just wish AMD would get their head out of their ass and release Venice/San Diego as revised cores for socket 754 without having to use a mobile chip (even tho mobiles are nice for the fact they have low temps :)).

tsuehpsyde said:
I just wish AMD would get their head out of their ass and release Venice/San Diego as revised cores for socket 754 without having to use a mobile chip (even tho mobiles are nice for the fact they have low temps :)).
I'm ordering a DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB... getting a Sempr0n 2800+ with it and an OCZ Powerstream 420, so hopefully that will O/C well enough to last me till I get money for a Newark.

Tenchi4U said:

you didn't sand down the core again, did you? b/c 23.5ºC (even at 18ºC ambient) is still damned good (almost unbelievable) at 3.1gHz. BTW what HSF are you running on that Mobile XP64? What mobo (MSI, right?)
robberbaron linked to the guy i got it from at XS (edit, here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=833429#post833429 ), and the respective prices for the cores. mine was 326+shipping.
it's under a zalman, and i learned my lesson last time. sandpaper + core = BAD! ;)

Also, he's running on the DFI board....but he started with the Neo board to make sure it worked for those of us who have a Neo and wanted to know if it would run. :)

(cf) i knew you could do that 3ghz! nice clocks man. id do anything for 3ghz, ill hafta give my chip 1.7v to get it to hit 2.6ghz, which i thought was great. this just proves that 754 aint dead by a long shot!

Eclipse....that poster earlier was right, look at your CBID screen....it says you have hyper threading? wtf? :p

actually, if you read carefully, i'm the one who pointed that out (unless i'm missing something.)

anywho, 2.82ghz seems to be stable with 1.525v (1.5v actual), definitly a health increase over my clawhammer at 2.3ghz :D
i'm gonna push it a bit further, i did soem testing on the ram before, it's good to 240-245mhz at 2.5-2-2-5 with two sticks in. i can do better with one stick, but that seems to be the nature of ballistix :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
actually, if you read carefully, i'm the one who pointed that out (unless i'm missing something.)

anywho, 2.82ghz seems to be stable with 1.525v (1.5v actual), definitly a health increase over my clawhammer at 2.3ghz :D
i'm gonna push it a bit further, i did soem testing on the ram before, it's good to 240-245mhz at 2.5-2-2-5 with two sticks in. i can do better with one stick, but that seems to be the nature of ballistix :D

Oh, well, that goes to show how well I'm paying attention.....and yeah, you can shutup about your meg cache clocks at less voltage than me you slut. :D j/k, glad you have such a badass processor man....I seriously might get one myself because that would seriously kick this rig in the pants. So what is your final PR? It started at 3700+ at 2.4GHz so it has to be pretty badass...And *ahem* CAS2 owns you...as does my videocard. ;) Yea....i can still feel good about those....

testing 2.83ghz right now, 4345+ :D
i think it'll take a 2.9ghz chip to get that 4400+ rating though... and that's too much voltage for 24/7

though yes, your video card definitly owns mine :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
testing 2.83ghz right now, 4345+ :D
i think it'll take a 2.9ghz chip to get that 4400+ rating though... and that's too much voltage for 24/7

though yes, your video card definitly owns mine :(

And my CAS, don't be hating on my CAS ownage. :D But yeah....don't mess up/overvolt your Newark over PR....look at mine and how close it is to 3700+, but I have to lose memory bandwidth/latency/add .1v more to the CPU to stabalize....and the speed/stability I have now, now that I stopped worrying about the end speed, is really good.

I thought you had a Newark? Seems strange that XS would mispost like that. Gah, you know with all your new part tweaking I'm dying to mess with something, like a crappy sempron 3100+ 90nm lol.....grrrrrr.

I miss my old DFI UT and 3000+, was the best overclocking i have had on a A64 yet...

:p

it does oc quite well

i'm trying to cool my room sufficiently for another bench run, but it's not quite as cold out as it was last night :(

Tenchi4U said:

Yeah I will be getting the 3200 or 3400 Newark core real soon :)

Is the Newark going to work on the Epox 8KDA3J? If not I'll be keeping my Claw for a few more months.

no idea. i think epox already supports the mobiles, so it might be good. nobody will know until someone tests it ;) dfi's support isn't fullt there as i get really weird issues with my ram and cold boots. :(

Back