Newark action!

Most impressive, keep us posted! Also, how high have you pushed your RAM? I'm running a Newcastle 3400+, and I think it's having some trouble right up around the 270MHz HTT/RAM mark. I'm running OCZ 3700EB for now, I won't get to my BH-5 until my Booster arrives- probably next week, damn NewEgg RMA! (They shipped me an open box, I made them ship two-day FedEx on the return.) In the meantime I'm stuck with "only" 3.2V.

i was having wierd issues before, but it seems that adding voltage to the core helped out some.

mavalpha said:
Most impressive, keep us posted! Also, how high have you pushed your RAM? I'm running a Newcastle 3400+, and I think it's having some trouble right up around the 270MHz HTT/RAM mark. I'm running OCZ 3700EB for now, I won't get to my BH-5 until my Booster arrives- probably next week, damn NewEgg RMA! (They shipped me an open box, I made them ship two-day FedEx on the return.) In the meantime I'm stuck with "only" 3.2V.

Er, something I should have mentioned, is that the booster wont give you anymore than the DFI board. You're 3.3v rail limited, and the booster won't add to your voltage.

Oh yeah and cool CPU, etc. But you already know what I have to say about it, haha. Keep pushing it and put 939 to shame.

robberbaron said:
Er, something I should have mentioned, is that the booster wont give you anymore than the DFI board. You're 3.3v rail limited, and the booster won't add to your voltage.
An OCZ rep over at DFI-Street told me that they've had no problems with it. I'll remove his name, but here's part of a message I got when I asked.
Removed said:
It did kill the NF2 boards, but works just fine in the DFI NF3 board.
I used a booster in mine for quite a while and many are running it now in the UT 250gb. It's up to you, but I have seen very few problems.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i was having wierd issues before, but it seems that adding voltage to the core helped out some.

Now I'm curious what it would do on your MSI board ;)

mavalpha said:
An OCZ rep over at DFI-Street told me that they've had no problems with it.

Hmm, then does it run off the 5v rail? If so, that's pretty cool

robberbaron said:
Hmm, then does it run off the 5v rail? If so, that's pretty cool

Not like I've actually had one in my hands since I'm a DFI-using bastard, but the OCZ Booster basically does the same thing aftermarket as the DFI does stock - takes the 5V, cleans it up a little, and lets you put your memory up to 4V.

Actually the OCZ booster only goes to 3.9V and I'm pretty sure it only does so in steps of 0.1V. So the DFI solution is better, but the OCZ is a good trick if you can't get it onboard.

(cf)Eclipse said:
and with the booster, you won't have to reboot to change ram voltage.

That's kind of cool, though it would interfere with my cooling of the memories.

Whoops, strike what I said earlier..."VTT mod may be needed to reach above 3.0 VDIMM"

Plus the compatability list has ALOT of not compatible and conditionally compatible entries.

"Power supplies used in conjunction with the DDR Booster must support a -5V line in order for the LED readout to function."

"The OCZ Booster requires a 20-Pin ATX connector and will not work with power supplies that have 24-Pin connectors"

Also, you're not supposed to adjust the voltage while the computer is on...although that doesn't mean you can't do it anyway.

an update, though it's prime95 stability is very sketchy

2830.PNG

mpcamer1220 said:
socket 754 4 life. u 939 people are n00bs :p

This is true.

I think it's doing really good, but it seems voltage is finally giving diminishing returns for him...

Let's hope he gets a 3ghz on air screen!

mpcamer1220 said:
he would have to stop posting in the memory forum to do that :rolleyes: :p
♥

Memory is a lot more interesting than AMD right now (besides the Newark, of course.) so I can't fault him for it ;)

Did you see the PC2-6400 that OCZ just released? It's just... wow. This is the year of the RAM.

mpcamer1220 said:
how much is it?

No price on it yet, but DDR2 has been amazingly cheap lately. Corsair's PC2-6400 is $135 per 512mb stick. It has 5-5-5 latencies though. The OCZ is 4-3-3 :cool:

I think Newark is calling my name...

On a side note, and slightly off topic, are there any plans/info on dual core mobiles?

jamesrb said:
I think Newark is calling my name...

On a side note, and slightly off topic, are there any plans/info on dual core mobiles?

Yes, the Taylor core. Dual Lancasters. Socket 939, though.

robberbaron said:
Let's hope he gets a 3ghz on air screen!
i think i can. 2875mhz with 1.55v seems good to go... though prime95 is starting to hate me. sometimes it'll error within a minute, but it has also gone for ~20min at the same settings, simply restarting the test.

here's a shot. my board decided to undervolt a whole bunch right there.. dunno why

2875.PNG

Now, the next question is: where the hell'd you get a Newark? Inside sources, I'm guessing? I wouldn't mind trading my Newcastle for a Newark, even if it means stepping down from a 3400+.

mavalpha said:
Now, the next question is: where the hell'd you get a Newark? Inside sources, I'm guessing? I wouldn't mind trading my Newcastle for a Newark, even if it means stepping down from a 3400+.

You too can buy one.

AMN3200BKX5BU $197

AMN3400BKX5BU $228

AMN3700BKX5BU $329

Oh yeah.

Oh, I'm talking to Eclipse on aim right now... he's got a surprise for us cooking up :D

indeed i do. suicide with 1.55v

suicide2948.PNG

working for max stable at 1.6v now ;)

edit: not much for 1.6v over 1.55v so far. looks like ~1.5v is where it's at for this chip. i'll push it anyway. i want that >3ghz

wheres the drool face when you need it :confused:

how high is too high on the voltage? how bout for a claw?

robberbaron said:
Yes, the Taylor core. Dual Lancasters. Socket 939, though.

eh... bad news...

I haven't been into a thread this much in a while... I find myself hitting refresh every 3 or 4 minutes...

EDIT: 63mhz to go, then I will be able to rest peacefully...

mpcamer1220 said:
wheres the drool face when you need it :confused: how high is too high on the voltage? how bout for a claw?

My claw hardfreezes at higher than 1.78v.

It runs rather well at half that, though.

It's prime stable, but SuperPI oddly kills it.

mpcamer1220 said:
wheres the drool face when you need it :confused: how high is too high on the voltage? how bout for a claw?

Meh, I'm not afraid to volt the hell out of any chip, I gave this chip 2v just for the hell of it, see if it helped any...

robberbaron said:
Easy. 1.525+110% is a good way to get 1.68v.

hmmm will do.. i havent looked through all the settings yet.. just the ones that were there with my barton :p :eek:

robberbaron said:
My claw hardfreezes at higher than 1.78v.

It runs rather well at half that, though.

It's prime stable, but SuperPI oddly kills it.

I never tested the max voltage for my newcastle, but it runs Prime95 at .900v (1.8ghz). I ran it stable for 3 days at that. From idle to load temps didn't change at all - 31 o C. Oddly, it crashed when I would try to play a DVD (Nvidia DVD decoder). I had to up it to 1.075 to get that to work.

jamesrb said:
I never tested the max voltage for my newcastle, but it runs Prime95 at .900v (1.8ghz). I ran it stable for 3 days at that. From idle to load temps didn't change at all - 31 o C. Oddly, it crashed when I would try to play a DVD (Nvidia DVD decoder). I had to up it to 1.075 to get that to work.

My board refuses to post at anything below 1.025 VCORE, no matter what the CPU speed. My bios is lousy :(

robberbaron said:
My board refuses to post at anything below 1.025 VCORE, no matter what the CPU speed. My bios is lousy :(
Pfft, My board doesn't even allow undervolting.

Baron and Eclipse make my Claw feel like a piece. After my current clocks, my returns start to suck ass.....I've got it to bench at 2.5GHz but I don't know how. :p 2.4GHz is the highest prime stable I've gotten, and it takes 1.65v to get there...if it even decided to cooperate. I definately want one of these. :D

don't worry, your claw is better than mine.

and an update.. 2900mhz with 1.6v might just be stable. more stable than 2875mhz was at 1.55v, that's for sure.

(cf)Eclipse said:
don't worry, your claw is better than mine.

and an update.. 2900mhz with 1.6v might just be stable. more stable than 2875mhz was at 1.55v, that's for sure.
If I wake up and you aren't past 3ghz, Grr. Just Grr. I wanna see this thing do at leat 3ghz, C'mon! I know you can do it Eclipse!

robberbaron said:
You too can buy one.

AMN3200BKX5BU $197

AMN3400BKX5BU $228

AMN3700BKX5BU $329
Could you point me to a link please? That 3200 is looking mighty tempting, I might sell my "Nuke" (LOL) for it. I'm guessing these are unfortunately OEM chips, since Newark is Mobile...

Back