New York to Kick Spectrum Cable Out of State for 'Failures to Serve New Yorkers'

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Spectrum Cable has drawn the ire of New York state regulators and has been kicked out of the state. Spectrum has been given 60 days to submit a plan to transition to another cable provider. This is due to numerous failures to serve New Yorkers such as skirting obligations to serve rural communities, failure to meet deadlines and unsafe practices in the field. In 2016 they were approved to purchase Time Warner Cable under certain stipulations that the Public Service Commission (PSC) says Spectrum wasn't interested in meeting. Thanks piscian18 .

"Charter's repeated failures to serve New Yorkers and honor its commitments are well documented and are only getting worse. After more than a year of administrative enforcement efforts to bring Charter into compliance with the Commission's merger order, the time has come for stronger actions to protect New Yorkers and the public interest," said Commission Chair John B. Rhodes. "Charter's non-compliance and brazenly disrespectful behavior toward New York State and its customers necessitates the actions taken today seeking court-ordered penalties for its failures, and revoking the Charter merger approval."

well-bye-animated-gif.gif

What part of fascism does this not meet the criteria? They are a private company and are not beholden to the government to meet delivery demands. Another cable company should just come in and steal all thebusiness. .

I do believe they are contractually bound to provide those coverages. Government regulation isn't automatic fascism dude. The sky isn't falling in this case chicken Little.

What part of fascism does this not meet the criteria? They are a private company and are not beholden to the government to meet delivery demands. Another cable company should just come in and steal all thebusiness. .

Utilities are often required to commit to certain requirements in order to get permission to operate on an area. Sometimes they are even offered a local monopoly in exchange for agreeing to serve every address in a city.

Spectrum has apparently not lived up to the requirements in their contract, so they are being shitcanned.

I wish more states would be proactive like this. Usually they sign these special deals witj providers, but then fail to enforce them. This is good news!

So wait, is this Charter or Spectrum?

Or are they the same company?

We don't have them here. I have lucked out to live in a fairly affluent area, so we have both Comcast's "Xfinity" and Verizons FiOS in our area. Individually they both pretty much suck. I've had them both in areas where there was no competition and it was frustrating to say the least.

It's amazing the magic that happens when there is actual competition. With Comcast and Verizon fighting for my money, services, internet speeds and costs have all improved A LOT.

It has been a lesson to me as to why monopolies are always bad and have to be absolutely crushed by any means necessary.

Last edited:

We don't have them here. I have licled out to live in a fairly affluent area, so we have both Comcast's "Xfinity" and Verizons FiOS in our area. Indivodually they both pretty much suck. I had them both in areas where there was no competition and it was frustrating to say the least.

It's amazing the magic that happens when there is actual competition. With Comcast and Verizon fighting for my money, services, internet speeds and costs have all improved A LOT.

It has been a lesson to me as to why monopolies are always bad and have to be absolutely crushed by any means necessary.
Same company. ;)

We don't have them here. I have licled out to live in a fairly affluent area, so we have both Comcast's "Xfinity" and Verizons FiOS in our area. Indivodually they both pretty much suck. I had them both in areas where there was no competition and it was frustrating to say the least.

Charter and Spectrum are the same.

Hmm..interesting. My speeds went up, my bill went down and all the latency and disconnect bullshit that TWC was getting sued for stopped when spectrum took over. I've since moved, so I don't really care though.

A local provider took over TWC in my town before Spectrum bought them. Does not matter though, as my road is not serviced, They will run the cable, but not for free, or cheap either.

Hmm..interesting. My speeds went up, my bill went down and all the latency and disconnect bullshit that TWC was getting sued for stopped when spectrum took over. I've since moved, so I don't really care though.

You seem to have had the exact opposite experience I had with the changeover from TWC to Spectrum. My prices went up, speed never changed, and down time has gone up by about dramatically. Under TWC I might have an outage for an hour or two once a year, with Spectrum it's every other month for the better part of a day.

The state of ISP's in the US is pretty pathetic, seems no matter who you choose, you get raped.

WTH?????? I cannot get Verizon Fios and the only option other than Spectrum Internet is DSL!!!!! What the Hell! I pay $65 a month for 100Mb / 10Mb connection and I want to keep it. New York needs to GTHO of this stuff!

Last edited:
Except they are. They agreed to meet certain demands, and then failed to meet them. Now it's time to pay the piper.

Do Verizon next!

You mean pay the piper, as in punish the customer like myself? HELLOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no other OPTION, keep you stupid HANDS OFF MY INTERNET!

Utilities are often required to commit to certain requirements in order to get permission to operate on an area. Sometimes they are even offered a local monopoly in exchange for agreeing to serve every address in a city.

Spectrum has apparently not lived up to the requirements in their contract, so they are being shitcanned.

I wish more states would be proactive like this. Usually they sign these special deals witj providers, but then fail to enforce them. This is good news!

States be proactive like what, eliminating my lower cost and higher speed internet than I had before Spectrum took over? WTH! That is just stupid!

In fact, what service do you have access too? I will make sure it gets eliminated as well!

We don't have them here. I have lucked out to live in a fairly affluent area, so we have both Comcast's "Xfinity" and Verizons FiOS in our area. Individually they both pretty much suck. I've had them both in areas where there was no competition and it was frustrating to say the least.

The deal was originally with Charter. When Charter announced intentions to merge with TWC, the State of New York told Charter that, because this would result in a reduction of competition for their citizens, Charter needed to agree to certain terms in order for the merged company to continue operations in the state. Charter failed to meet those terms.

The deal was originally with Charter. When Charter announced intentions to merge with TWC, the State of New York told Charter that, because this would result in a reduction of competition for their citizens, Charter needed to agree to certain terms in order for the merged company to continue operations in the state. Charter failed to meet those terms.

Yeah, damn good too, after all, who needs $65 100/10 internet connection when it cost nearly $100 for a 50/5 connection before, right? RIGHT?!

Why can't they have more than one provider?

Most local areas are NOT free market for ISPs. Local government grants ROW monopoly to given ISPs who give kick backs to local government, like free phone/internet/TV service to public buildings etc as well as others, often times local government will refuse anyone else to lay cable. Funny enough one of the biggest reasons government pushed to control and regulate the ROW's is because they claimed a single company could buy up all the land and refuse to let other ISP's install cable....Funny how that works huh?

That is just STUPID! So, who am I going to get now? DSL?????? NOTHING OTHERWISE??????????
At least YOU GOT 100/10!!

Where my parents are at, Spectrum won't finish building out the 1000 fucking feet of additional cable to provide TV and Internet to their place. They wanted to charge my parents $2500 for the 1000 foot buildout!! My parents are left with NOTHING available other than shitty and expensive Satellite Internet!

I live in NYC, and went over to Fios over a year ago from the unreliable TWC (and so did a number of my neighbors).

Spectrum's been flooding me and my neighbors' mailboxes with package deal ads, ever since then. Some of them are actually pretty impressive (in terms of price/performance), at least on paper.

FIOS has been super reliable, though, so I never considered switching.

If Spectrum's off the market, I wonder what major provider is going to go head to head against Verizon?

Side note: Verizon's points deals stink horribly compared to those from the major credit-card companies. What the heck is Verizon thinking?

in my area of NYC (Manhattan) I'm glad we have a bunch of options as far as cable/internet- Verizon FiOS (which I currently have and is the best), Spectrum and RCN...would hate if I was locked into one with no choice...

At least YOU GOT 100/10!!

Where my parents are at, Spectrum won't finish building out the 1000 fucking feet of additional cable to provide TV and Internet to their place. They wanted to charge my parents $2500 for the 1000 foot buildout!! My parents are left with NOTHING available other than shitty and expensive Satellite Internet!

So, because your parents cannot have it, neither should I?????? I do not live on the end of a street or an odd area, I live in an area where service was already here. The only thing is, there is no other cable internet provider besides Spectrum and there is NO FIOS where I live, which is a well populated suburb of Buffalo. Therefore, NYS government needs to get the heck out of this!

So, because your parents cannot have it, neither should I?????? I do not live on the end of a street or an odd area, I live in an area where service was already here. The only thing is, there is no other cable internet provider besides Spectrum and there is NO FIOS where I live, which is a well populated suburb of Buffalo. Therefore, NYS government needs to get the heck out of this!
You're not going to lose your service. Someone else will move in and take it over, but at least you will STILL have it. The greed of these fucking cable companies has it where they won't do the bare basics to PROVIDE service.

I was working for TWC during the merger, it was a unholy shit show of mismanagement and unknowns. We would get conflicting information daily, DNS servers were dropping like flies, MTU configurations were inconsistent ranging from 1500 to 900, internal IP conflicts were rampant the poor bastards in the trenches trying to do the back haul link cut-overs were given bad directions so they were disconnecting the live stuff because of non existent labelling or naming practices, customer service was flooded and completely in the dark about what was going on. It was an unholy experience that still gives me nightmares to this day.

You're not going to lose your service. Someone else will move in and take it over, but at least you will STILL have it. The greed of these fucking cable companies has it where they won't do the bare basics to PROVIDE service.

Someone? Who? There is no one else around here.

They have 60 days to transition to another cable provider. Another words a new crew moves in and fixes the mess that Spectrum left.

What mess? Everything around here is working well, I am paying less for more. All a new crew can do is make me pay more for less. (Also, what new crew, no one has even actually said who?)

Yeah, damn good too, after all, who needs $65 100/10 internet connection when it cost nearly $100 for a 50/5 connection before, right? RIGHT?!

Here in Georgia we can get 1000/35 for 115. Comcast. 2 yr agreement of course

Most local areas are NOT free market for ISPs. Local government grants ROW monopoly to given ISPs who give kick backs to local government, like free phone/internet/TV service to public buildings etc as well as others, often times local government will refuse anyone else to lay cable. Funny enough one of the biggest reasons government pushed to control and regulate the ROW's is because they claimed a single company could buy up all the land and refuse to let other ISP's install cable....Funny how that works huh?

Usually the agreements have less to do with government building perks, and more to do with universal coverage.

Sure, you can enter our city, but if you do you have to cover all of it equally. 100% of addresses. Same service. Rich neighborhoods as well as poor.

Cable companies have a nasty habit of - unless forced to - only investing in affluent neighborhoods, leaving the lower income ones, which are less likely to spend on higher speed options or premium TV packages without any coverage.

Back