New X79 Sandy E Mobos, X79 Sabertooth OR Rampage 4 Extreme?

Both of these boards should be awesome, just not sure which one to buy when they come out in Aug/Sept??? Not sure if the Quad Channel memory will be one module per channel or 4 memory ports OR 2 modules per channel, 8 ports. Eight memory slots that's going to be a wide board!!! Any suggestions are much appeciated!;)

They should debut at Computex in about a week. Can't wait to see what they look like.

I would honestly wait. I am looking at X79 myself. Patience is key. Hell I am waiting for Kepler :p

There was one of my old guild mates that maxed out his ram on his X58 to make a RAMdrive to put World of Warcraft (before cataclysm) in his RAMdrive. He said the playing WoW was literally instant and there was little to no lag in heavy congested areas. I wonder if Quad channel will be worth it to copy an entire game to the RAMDrive. But it depends on what games you play.

dissapointed that they came out a month after they just got their mobos back in stock from teh b3 rev fix... wasted my money fast. hah

I would honestly wait. I am looking at X79 myself. Patience is key. Hell I am waiting for Kepler :p

There was one of my old guild mates that maxed out his ram on his X58 to make a RAMdrive to put World of Warcraft (before cataclysm) in his RAMdrive. He said the playing WoW was literally instant and there was little to no lag in heavy congested areas. I wonder if Quad channel will be worth it to copy an entire game to the RAMDrive. But it depends on what games you play.

I am only on my first computer build, same mobo, memory, processor since summer 2008. First waited for X58 to support USB 3.0, that took forever, then when it finally happened, Sandy Bridge was announced, and then waited only to be disappointed that the mainstream would release first, just rumors of Sandy Bridge Enthusiast. Then they delayed SB-E for another 9months. Now it’s finally coming to fruition and I cannot wait to get out from under my old LGA775 platform, believe me I know patience, and her sister hope, very very well.

I had no idea you could store a game or an app within memory modules to make a RAMdrive that is amazing, how do you copy an app to, and store it in RAM? That’s bloody brilliant!

Last edited:
"Expect monster performance from Intel’s Sandy Bridge E chips, with 15MB cache for each of the 6 cores, on the forthcoming Asus X79 boards." An excerpt from the KitGuru short article below.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/m...s-for-q3-launch-of-x79-sandy-bridge-e-anyone/

I will try to keep this thread as fresh as possible, usually small leaks appear 2 or 3 days ahead of a show like Computex, either intentional or not. If I find them I will post 'em here!;)

Last edited:
This is going to be a very hard decision whether to upgrade in june or wait for SB-E.

"Expect monster performance from Intel’s Sandy Bridge E chips, with 15MB cache for each of the 6 cores, on the forthcoming Asus X79 boards." An excerpt from the KitGuru short article below.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/m...s-for-q3-launch-of-x79-sandy-bridge-e-anyone/

I will try to keep this thread as fresh as possible, usually small leaks appear 2 or 3 days ahead of a show like Computex, either intentional or not. If I find them I will post 'em here!;)

Good, im tired of these threads popping up then dying. I cant wait to see some boards. I was gonna go for the non XE 6 core but i may go with the quad until trigate hits socket 2011.

I also noticed Intel is not showing its hand by not releasing the 8 cores up front. I bet they do it like they did Gulftown.

Anyone else noticed the lack of Intel codenames?
Before it was
Architecture: Nehalem 45nm
Bloomfield

Architecture: Westmere 32nm
Gulftown

There were more but ive noticed the Sandy Bridge Chips dont have codenames, they are just using the architecture name.

Anyone else noticed the lack of Intel codenames?
Before it was
Architecture: Nehalem 45nm
Bloomfield

Architecture: Westmere 32nm
Gulftown

There were more but ive noticed the Sandy Bridge Chips dont have codenames, they are just using the architecture name.

I'm kinda happy with the lack of codenames; all I want to know is die shrinks and architectural advancements! ;)

Penryn 45nm
Nehalem
Westmere 32nm
Sandy Bridge
Ivy Bridge 22nm
Haswell
Broadwell 16nm
Sky Lake
Skymont 11nm

And I think it’s a great strategy, going for the Sandy E Quad, since Ivy E will be just around the corner, I am sure the 3.6Ghz bus 10MB cache will be blazing fast coupled with 8 or 16 GBs Quad Channel, I just wish they would throw in Thunderbolt at the last minute, it’s already in the MacPro, why not add it to the Enthusiast Boards?

Last edited:
there still are codenames
sb was sugar bay
x79 is waimea bay
ib 1155 next year is maho bay

there still are codenames
sb was sugar bay
x79 is waimea bay
ib 1155 next year is maho bay

That's cool but I don't know why they don't just keep the codenames in-house or within their supply network, do they really do consumers any real good? Seems like just extraneous nomenclature.

Last edited:
That's cool but I don't know why they don't just keep the codenames in-house or within their supply network, do they really do consumers any real good? Seems like just extraneous nomenclature.

Codenames are for development untill marketing names the product. It was the Codename before it was Core i7, X79, etc

This link leads to 4 informative articles you may or may not have already read!

http://news.softpedia.com/newsTag/X79 and this one

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/19574/intel_x79_based_boards_to_be_at_computex_2011/index.html

This is the last “what we know so far article” I will link; everything here forward will be all new information straight from Computex. I hope the early leaks will begin tomorrow or over the weekend as the suppliers and press get settled in Taipei for the event. Maybe Intel will pull a rabbit out of the hat and give us Light Peak/Thunderbolt at the last minute, crossing fingers!;)

Last edited:
Really this is some information I have been searching for. May convince me to switch from my p55 platform.

Yeah, the X79 chipset is for the Intel LGA2011 socket and Sandy E CPUs. So far three CPUs have been leaked out:

3.3GHz to 3.9GHz 6-core 15MB cache
3.2GHz to 3.8GHz 6-core 12MB cache
3.6Ghz to 3.9GHz Quad w/10MB cache

I am going with the Quad at 3.6, it should be the best for productivity, and the cheapest guessing $350 to $400.

I saw these numbers in some sites…

Sandy Bridge Extreme Edition : 6 cores / 12 threads, 3.3GHz clock, 15MB L3 cache (2.5MB per core), Max. OC
Sandy Bridge E : 6 cores / 12 threads, 3.2GHz clock, 12MB L3 cache (2MB per core), Max. OC
Sandy Bridge E : 4 cores / 8 threads, 3.6GHz clock, 10MB L3 cache (2.5MB per core), Limited OC

it’ll be a hard decision if the 4 cores one will be faster than the six core CPU

waiting for any update

why are the RAM slots are located at each side of the motherboard, WTF?
presumably because it is quad channel and this is the most efficient way to route the traces?

And I was expecting 8 DIMM slots, whats the point of having quad channel if its only 4 slots, may as well go back to dual.
maybe larger boards with 8 DIMM slots will be shown in future? surely they must be coming at some point. You still get quad channel bandwidth with 4 DIMM slots and I imagine that will be plenty for games enthusiasts and many other users.

Interesting. Looks like it will all be Quad channel but i also expected to see 8 slots as well.

Oh well. This is the low end boards. I like the Gigabyte one.

wow big socket (I'll try to make this my last comment about the socket size)
good luck Asus selling that yellow thing

Looks high end to me. Two clamp down arms on the socket and the baseplate extends right out too the cooler mount holes. Can anyone confirm it's still 1366 spacing? I hope most older blocks and heatsinks will remain compatible.
That socket looks like it really needs at least 8 cores, putting a quad in there would be a bit wimpy. Unless boards that support 8 DIMM's become common I think that memory layout is a bad decision. Having the DIMM's that close to the back edge of the motherboard means you only get 6 PCIe slots in even though there is no northbridge. It kind of wrecks the fun for mATX folks looking forward to the space saving from getting rid of the northbridge. With the memory and VRM's back in their rightful place this platform could be used in mATX boards the same way 1155 is. (ASUS Maximus III GENE just with a bit bigger socket)

EDIT: ASRock looks like the were able to jam the DIMM's right to the top of the bard and add in all 7 PCIe lanes. Maybe it's not so bad

Last edited:
Asus boards always look so great, this one very ho hum, the X79socket looks massive and I like the double latches but ONLY 4Dimm slots? Hopefully the Rampage 4 Extreme will look much better. Quad-Channel memory, but only one module per channel? That ain't good!

http://lab501.ro/stiri/computex-2011...-msi-si-asrock

http://vr-zone.com/computex/intel-x7...sed/12436.html

http://vr-zone.com/computex/foxconn-...x79/12437.html

Sure hope these boards look alot better before they are released in Aug/Sept, ugh!

Looks high end to me. Two clamp down arms on the socket and the baseplate extends right out too the cooler mount holes. Can anyone confirm it's still 1366 spacing? I hope most older blocks and heatsinks will remain compatible.
That socket looks like it really needs at least 8 cores, putting a quad in there would be a bit wimpy. Unless boards that support 8 DIMM's become common I think that memory layout is a bad decision. Having the DIMM's that close to the back edge of the motherboard means you only get 6 PCIe slots in even though there is no northbridge. It kind of wrecks the fun for mATX folks looking forward to the space saving from getting rid of the northbridge. With the memory and VRM's back in their rightful place this platform could be used in mATX boards the same way 1155 is. (ASUS Maximus III GENE just with a bit bigger socket)

Well the Gigabyte is a low end board. I know these arent the 300-400 dollar boards.
I think i read somewhere that the 1366 mounting holes are different then the 2011.

Keep in mind these are ES or early boards. Its not like these are production. The Memory layout will likely stay. Thats most likely Intel Spec. Its an enthusiast platform and it will be fine for them. Any overclocker only uses 1 DIMM per channel to get better overclocks.

While I am very excited about this new platform and eagerly awaiting it, how is it that a few people have said they will be released in Aug/Sept when Q4 only starts in October ?

I hope most older blocks and heatsinks will remain compatible.

I hope so too. the boards already won’t support memory waterblocks, fans, that led flow meter from corsair. and using memory dimms with a heatsink means fitting a twin tower cooler (even single) is not gonna happen.

Its an enthusiast platform and it will be fine for them. Any overclocker only uses 1 DIMM per channel to get better overclocks.

setting world records is not the only thing enthusiasts care about.
I know it’s a top-end platform but didn’t think not having 8 slots would be a big issue, 4 still supports 16GB.

GM, I hope you are right, these early boards are about as plain as paper! Hopefully Asus ROG boards will be ready by Aug/Sept with some gorgeous heatsinks and a larger extended board 12X10.6. And thanks for clearing up the benefits of 4slots, that will be cool since Corsair and other groups are producing 4GB modules now, 16GB at 2600Mhz Awesome!!!;)

http://assets.vr-zone.net/12445/IMG_8191.jpg

So i'm noticing that the x79 board is listing 3 x PCI Express 2.0 x 16 slots. So no PCIE 3.0 on x79 or what's the deal? has anyone seen anything official from intel on x79 spec yet? should intel be putting out specs during computex for x79?

edit: so i just noticed the board says pci express 3.0 on it so maybe the label is wrong on the card underneath?

So by looking at these boards, each DIMM slot has its own channel? Other wise I don't see how it cold be 'quad-channel'.

Is it me or does that socket look like the cap comes completely off and would be a huge pain in my ass?

Back