New X79 Sandy E Mobos, X79 Sabertooth OR Rampage 4 Extreme?

MeanBruce

Gawd
Both of these boards should be awesome, just not sure which one to buy when they come out in Aug/Sept??? Not sure if the Quad Channel memory will be one module per channel or 4 memory ports OR 2 modules per channel, 8 ports. Eight memory slots that's going to be a wide board!!! Any suggestions are much appeciated!;)

They should debut at Computex in about a week. Can't wait to see what they look like.

Last edited:
Bummer DFI is no longer around. If I upgrade to X79 it will be a tough choice in choosing motherboards. Will have to wait and see what is available.

I think I have been most impressed with Gigabyte mother boards most recently.

It will come down to best BIOS, electrical components and cooling heat sinks mixed with value for my choice.

I really hope that it will come out with 8 DIMM slots, if they added 4 whats the point of quad channel if its limited to 4, may as well go back to dual channel.

AndréRocha;1037282576 said:
is this x79 the 2011 socket?

Yeah, the X79 chipset is for the Intel LGA2011 socket and Sandy E CPUs. So far three CPUs have been leaked out:

3.3GHz to 3.9GHz 6-core 15MB cache
3.2GHz to 3.8GHz 6-core 12MB cache
3.6Ghz to 3.9GHz Quad w/10MB cache

I am going with the Quad at 3.6, it should be the best for productivity, and the cheapest guessing $350 to $400.

I really hope that it will come out with 8 DIMM slots, if they added 4 whats the point of quad channel if its limited to 4, may as well go back to dual channel.

I am hoping for 8 DIMMs also just dont know where the real estate will come from, The Rampage should have no problem but the Sabertooth or any 12X9 board might be a tight squeeze. The boards should be on display May 30th when Computex begins. YAY!

Both of these boards should be awesome, just not sure which one to buy when they come out in Aug/Sept??? Not sure if the Quad Channel memory will be one module per channel or 4 memory ports OR 2 modules per channel, 8 ports. Eight memory slots that's going to be a wide board!!! Any suggestions are much appeciated!;)

They should debut at Computex in about a week. Can't wait to see what they look like.

Actually, the LGA 2011 CPUs will have native and official support for JEDEC DDR3-1600 RAM. However, if you install two DIMMs per channel, the RAM speed will drop to DDR3-1333 speed due to the official JEDEC limitations of official DDR3-1600 RAM. The LGA 2011 boards will have up to 12 DIMM slots (however, using three DIMMs per channel will result in the RAM speed dropping to a fail-safe DDR3-800). That's just as well since most so-called "DDR3-1600" DIMMs are really native DDR3-1333 parts that have been tested at a higher speed and then binned.

Note that the above maximum speeds are based on auto-detect settings. You can run RAM at faster than those maximums - but you'll have to set them manually.

Officially, you can run memory at DDR3-1600 with only one DIMM per channel - or two DIMMs per channel at up to DDR3-1333 speed.

Last edited:
Where will they find room for 12 DIMM slots? You mean theoretically? or some mainboards will have 12 and some will have 8? Thank you for the input, more details should be coming from Computex May 30th. It's sad about the lack of native USB 3.0 support though, and I doubt they will add on Thunderbolt at this late date.

Last edited:
@MeanBruce, u sure?! wow thats super cool! wooohooo... i just bought a sb mobo and cpu. will those cpus be faster than my 2600?? i am buying the x79 as soon as it is out. when will it be out?

AndréRocha;1037284266 said:
@MeanBruce, u sure?! wow thats super cool! wooohooo... i just bought a sb mobo and cpu. will those cpus be faster than my 2600?? i am buying the x79 as soon as it is out. when will it be out?

Andre, yup I am pretty sure, the Ghz numbers I gave you are base clock and turbo boost, check out the chart in the article below. I first heard the processors would be out in October, but now I am hearing August or September, so who knows, I think Intel is waiting to see how powerful AMD Bulldozer is, then they might move up the release date. The price estimates will most likely be $1000, $600, and $380, the usual Intel model.

And yes, they will be faster than your 2600K, and Quad-Channel memory vs Dual Channel!;)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4291/additional-details-on-sandy-bridgee-processors-x79-and-lga2011

Last edited:
if the x79 is like x58 boards with 2011 sockets, i dont think i will upgrade

These X79 boards sound wild.

There is going to be a lot of horsepower there..............I think that hex core CPU in the middle price range will be the sweet spot.....going to need more RAM I guess!:eek:

Yeah, definitely leaning towards the Rampage IV Extreme, love that the board it’s a bit larger than the typical 9x12, and the feature list seems endless. I am guessing it will run about $420 to $450, at least the first few weeks. I also heard you can control the bios and O/C it from an iPhone, is that true or just a rumor? Thanks everyone for the positive info, in about a week now, we will be able to see the new X79 boards, 12Dimms on a board seems outrageous, but even 8 will be cool, I was planning on either 8GB or 16GB of Corsair Dominator, so either 2 or 4GB per channel!;)

Where will they find room for 12 DIMM slots? You mean theoretically? or some mainboards will have 12 and some will have 8? Thank you for the input, more details should be coming from Computex May 30th. It's sad about the lack of native USB 3.0 support though, and I doubt they will add on Thunderbolt at this late date.

Note that I stated "up to 12 DIMM slots". This means that some boards will have eight DIMM slots.

This is what I've been waiting for, the true successor to 1366. So 2011 are still going to be Sandy Bridge-level CPUs and not Ivy Bridge? I was under the impression that Ivy was going to have a big change in the way CPUs were built a-la 3D gates or somesuch and I thought that Socket 2011 was going to be the first place this was debut. From those three CPUs listed, I guess Intel learned their lesson about creating a "920/930" like proc that had everything the same compared to all their other CPUs up to the Extreme Edition and just had differences of speed. Its a pity that ALL the hex-cores don't offer 15MB cache. Weren't there supposed to be 8-core variants debut on 2011 in the high end?

So the new X58 chipset replacement is going to be X79? Huh. Okay then. I was expecting X68, as per history but I guess there's just something about incrementing another few numbers forward in this generation, like the AMD GPU "4800, 5800, 6900" thing. I'm looking forward to replacing my old reliable Rampage II Extreme with a 2011 high end board.

I'd easily walk past Sabertooth and go for the next Rampage IV Extreme or whatnot, as the RoG line has served me well for quite a few years and seem to be worth the cost. However, I really hope that they take the time to make a kickass IV Extreme instead of doing what they did this generation and launching a II Extreme, a III Extreme with lots of improvements, and a III Extreme Black Edition that had the misfortune of launching only shortly before 2011. I hope they go all out and include enough USB3/SATA6, but also stuff like LightPeak/Thunderbolt that recently debut as Intel's new baby on the MacBook Pro, and other high end offerings. I'm not sure if I want to absorb the cost of an integrated KillerNIC installed -I'll have to do more research on how they behave especially when used in Linux. I just hope they "get it right" the first time and don't cut any corners on Rampage IV, rather than come out with an improved "Rampage V Tartan Edition" or whatnot soon after we've already invested in IV.

Xaeos, the 3 Sandy E CPUs are going to release this year Aug Sept or Oct. Then Ivy Bridge mainstream in H1 2012, then Ivy Bridge Enthusiast CPUs late 2012 or early 2013. Sandy and Ivy will both share the same LGA2011 socket so no need to upgrade your mainboard. This is the best info I have found so far, but you know Intel, anything could change!;)

Some cool info I found on the web:

Penryn 45nm
Nehalem
Westmere 32nm
Sandy Bridge
Ivy Bridge 22nm
Haswell
Broadwell 16nm
Sky Lake
Skymont 11nm

All Good Things!;)

Last edited:
Needs more pics!!!! Also keep in mind Enthusiast level boards will be tri channel DDR3, You will need a Server board to get Quad Channel.

Not sure who im gonna go with really since EVGA boards have gone way downhill.

Edit: Its 2 DIMMs per channel. not 3. Tri channel is 6 DIMMs, Quad Channel is 8 DIMMs. Dunno where E4g1e is getting the 3 DIMMs per channel.

Last edited:
This is what I've been waiting for, the true successor to 1366. So 2011 are still going to be Sandy Bridge-level CPUs and not Ivy Bridge? I was under the impression that Ivy was going to have a big change in the way CPUs were built a-la 3D gates or somesuch and I thought that Socket 2011 was going to be the first place this was debut.

everything i've heard says that socket 2011 is 32nm parts so no 3d gates and such. debut of 22nm IB will be the socket 1155 die shrink next year, and socket 2011 will get the 22nm die shrink after that.

everything i've heard says that socket 2011 is 32nm parts so no 3d gates and such. debut of 22nm IB will be the socket 1155 die shrink next year, and socket 2011 will get the 22nm die shrink after that.

I wish it weren't true but it prolly is. The 3d gates will show up on Ivy-Bridge E most likely.

Needs more pics!!!! Also keep in mind Enthusiast level boards will be tri channel DDR3, You will need a Server board to get Quad Channel.

could i get a link on that?

everything i've read says quad channel

http://www.techpowerup.com/143179/Intel-X79-Enthusiast-Chipset-Sketched-in-Roadmap.html
http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...dy-for-lga2011-sandy-bridge-e-processors.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4291/additional-details-on-sandy-bridgee-processors-x79-and-lga2011

i'm definitely no expert, just curious is all

Everything says UP TO 8 core, quad channel, etc. They arent going to have the enthusiast line have everything the server/workstation line has. They always save the best hand for the Xeons. Im just looking at what Intel has done in the past.

Everything says UP TO 8 core, quad channel, etc. They arent going to have the enthusiast line have everything the server/workstation line has. They always save the best hand for the Xeons. Im just looking at what Intel has done in the past.

ya i suppose that's true

either way hopefully some good info will come out of computex

Not sure who im gonna go with really since EVGA boards have gone way downhill.

Edit: Its 2 DIMMs per channel. not 3. Tri channel is 6 DIMMs, Quad Channel is 8 DIMMs. Dunno where E4g1e is getting the 3 DIMMs per channel.

I am pretty positive Tri-Channel memory is going to die out with the X58 chipset, and the successor is the X79 chipset supporting Quad-Channel memory. Intel's newest enthusiast series will be X79 Quad-Channel according to the articles below, I welcome you to read them over and see what you think. There exists a couple dozen more articles with the same information, so I am hoping you are wrong, but we will find out in 7 days when the boards debut at Computex in Taipei.

http://www.techpowerup.com/143179/Intel-X79-Enthusiast-Chipset-Sketched-in-Roadmap.html

BTW I liked that graphic .gif you posted, hilarious, do you have a female version of it?;)

The squirt one, hilarious!;)

the one from the corsair thread? just have that one.

Here are some pics of the CPUs. Nothing new for those who have seen them.
Q19Dface.jpg

Q19Dback.jpg

The Sandy Bridge-E Lineup

Family------------------------Core i7----------------Core i7-----------------Core i7 Extreme
Core/Thread Count----------4/8----------------------6/12--------------------------6/12
Frequency---------------------3.6GHz----------------3.2GHz----------------------3.3GHz
Max SC Turbo---------------3.9GHz----------------3.8GHz----------------------3.9GHz
L3 Cache-----------------------10MB------------------12MB-------------------------15MB
Overclocking-------------Limited Unlock------Fully Unlocked-------Fully Unlocked

Fixed

My price prediction is the following at launch to 1K units.
~$330, ~$600, ~$1000 respectively.

Last edited:
Fixed

My price prediction is the following at launch to 1K units.
~$330, ~$600, ~$1000 respectively.

Thanks for the chart fix, I tried to run it thru Excel and it just got worse. I hope you are right about the Quad, I was thinking it would be more, having to be priced higher than the LGA1155 2600K, closer to $400 but $330 would be perfect, since I am gonna drop $425 for the Rampage 4 and who knows how much for the Corsair memory 4X2GB or 4x4GB could be another $300? Wanted to go low on the CPU, just to get into the platform and then upgrade to an Ivy Bridge E Tri-gate 22nm CPU, just a few months later.

Last edited:
What I meant was, I think this Sandy E quad coming out, will be the the first quad-core rated at 3.6GHz in Intel's history! Unless there is a Xeon out there I don't know about??

Back