New Windows AI feature records everything you’ve done on your PC

I suspect MS understands scrutiny will be high at first, and so might ship something better-behaved initially, with a plan to relax the ToS later when no one's looking as they've done previously.0
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

AI is coming to iPhone, too. Good luck hiding from Big Brother now, suckers! 1984-style, techno-dystopian future coming right up.

Last edited:
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

They will wait and probably go a bit, rapidly it will go from dystopian strange to just normal (remember the day having an Internet history was strange and people making joke about, our first credit card purchase online and the random computers-server knowing that info if you are old enough to have done it on not known company at all at first).

It start phoning home, anonymous encrypted ways would it be to access the giant nuclear powered supercomputer so it is much better, your work computer have been doing it, apple does it, Linux let you do it, they cannot read or use any of it they say without your password, apparently.

They start using it, just to detect what problem happen on computer, fight of AI malware bot or other reason, every step seems a normal small one.

I would move on from windows in a heart beat if I knew I could get Unity to not crash and give me the same performance. I have to use it every day for my job, I'm sure gaming is mostly okay enough that I wouldn't care. I hope somehow windows 10 just get another year of support so I don't have to deal with this crap in 2025.

Last edited:
Damn... fairly steep minimum requirements.. I guess MS figures why let all your resources go to waste...

Lakados is right, this is a productivity monitor and one that requires companies who want to use it to pony up for all new, fairly stout workstations.

I mean, everyone pointing out that this monetizable is also right, and the first malware priority going forward as we speak.

Lakados is right, this is a productivity monitor and one that requires companies who want to use it to pony up for all new, fairly stout workstations.

I mean, everyone pointing out that this monetizable is also right, and the first malware priority going forward as we speak.
I'm never taking a job at a large corporation. I do need a pay raise but I'd rather be less wealthy than deal with shit like this.

Reactions: Axman
like this

While I agree, I also think it will be a pretty tough nut to crack in that respect, the systems that have them activated will be locked down pretty hard in general, probably paired with a next Gen AV from someone like Sentinel One, and probably running full local encryption. The system there isn’t the weak point, easier to just phish out user credentials and try to log in remotely via VPN, but even those are getting harder. Those are going 2FA+ often requiring a local security certificate for the hardware in addition to the standard 2FA on the user account.
Insurance companies have stopped playing around when it comes to covering the costs for cyber security attacks, if they think you haven’t been trying to keep the baddies out they have stopped paying for the damages caused.

They will wait and probably go a bit, rapidly it will go from dystopian strange to just normal (remember the day having an Internet history was strange and people making joke about, our first credit card purchase online and the random computers-server knowing that info if you are old enough to have done it on not known company at all at first).

It start phoning home, anonymous encrypted ways would it be to access the giant nuclear powered supercomputer so it is much better, your work computer have been doing it, apple does it, Linux let you do it, they cannot read or use any of it they say without your password, apparently.

They start using it, just to detect what problem happen on computer, fight of AI malware bot or other reason, every step seems a normal small one.
Win 11 Pro for Workstations doesn’t have to deal with it, you pay extra for it over Pro, but you then don’t have to deal with the annoyances but certainly far cheaper than trying to source Enterprise licenses. If you are doing work from it though and its your money maker the extra $100 or so is probably worth it for you.

this is a productivity monitor and one that requires companies who want to use it to pony up for all new, fairly stout workstations.
This is running on some of the cheapest ultra low watt mobile chips out there, probably using the easiest of them all int8 operation.

A good enough NPU to do what this do will maybe cost less than $5 soon, no (if that not already the case) ? Maybe I do not understand what you mean.

Win 11 Pro for Workstations doesn’t have to deal with it, you pay extra for it over Pro, but you then don’t have to deal with the annoyances but certainly far cheaper than trying to source Enterprise licenses. If you are doing work from it though and its your money maker the extra $100 or so is probably worth it for you.
Deal with what here ? Windows 11 home does have to deal with Records either, it cannot run it. (nor any arm windows if you set it to off)

Look at the Windows requirements.
None of them or anything but the most basic workstation outside the NPU part (16 gb of ram, 4 cores cpu, 256gb of harddrive), but those are simply all requirement of the right to call your oem pc a copilot PC.

And by the time the product you have in mind get popular the $5 of npu needed could be $1.50, we are talking about something that will run on mobile device that try to have 20 hours of battery life, it should be nothing for a new workstation of the future that want to do this and why company would pay for this if they consider being a malware ?

Writing on the wall for me. Never thought I'd actually contemplate switching to linux. Some of my apps have linux compatibility, but others don't. I work with 3D...Probably going to install a distro on a spare machine and mess around with it on my free time. Any recommendations for a good alternative to windows? Wondering if just looking at distrowatch and choosing one on the top 5 is a decent idea or not...lol.

None of them or anything but the most basic workstation outside the NPU part (16 gb of ram, 4 cores cpu, 256gb of harddrive), but those are simply all requirement of the right to call your oem pc a copilot PC.

Have you never worked in a business environment? It's usually a 10-year lag on hardware. And that's a bit generous.

Reactions: noko
like this
Have you never worked in a business environment? It's usually a 10-year lag on hardware. And that's a bit generous.
Not in a while (outside very small) but yes if you are on a end cycle stuff can be old, but 16GB of ram, 256gb SSD, 8 threads would not be even in 2014 a particularly stout workstation, that would have been buying 2 years old, regular 3770k with a regular amount of ram for the time.

And this run only on ARM windows machine for the moment, let assume they will be quite new and not use for a very long time in business that lag behind.

Writing on the wall for me. Never thought I'd actually contemplate switching to linux. Some of my apps have linux compatibility, but others don't. I work with 3D...Probably going to install a distro on a spare machine and mess around with it on my free time. Any recommendations for a good alternative to windows? Wondering if just looking at distrowatch and choosing one on the top 5 is a decent idea or not...lol.
Linux Mint is still my recommendation until I see otherwise.

Linux Mint is still my recommendation until I see otherwise.
Thanks for the heads up. Checking Distrowatch, It's ranked #2 within the last year. Is it safe to assume the ranking list is a decent representation of community size? Obviously going to ensure I pick a popular distro to have community support if required....I'd be a kid with an inflatable vest in these waters =P.

Last edited:
How many times are people going to say "just turn it off" before you just choose a different OS.
MS in NO WAY is giving customers what they want, not even close anymore.
It's like a spouse getting the crap beat out of her by her husband and while she is still crying she says but but "he loves me".
In this case, Microsoft would be like Amber Heard beating up Johnny Depp, and then literally shitting the bed.
To quote Amber, "I wasn't punching you, I was hitting you!"

While there are concerns, there's a difference between an (already fixed) bug and an intentional feature.
LOL, that's no bug. Yeah, the images reappearing was a bug technically, the real issue is the fact that they didn't delete them in the first place. And frankly it frightens me that you aren't concerned about this at all.

The fact MS has a bad track record of "Off" / Paused / Disabled not actually meaning Off or Disabled is what will be concerning for many.
Indeed I have a feeling... every version of windows with this feature will be a setup annoyance. Most people aren't going to jump through the hoops to make sure its disabled.

I'm sure MS end game is to start shipping Windows ARM devices with MS ARM CPUs.
Basically windows macs. With all the same issues if you were to try and swap the OS. Only shipping consumers versions of ARM windows that has no real way to disable 90% of the tracking they do. This feature will probably have a "disable" in its first incarnation. At some point though... MS is just going to flip it on and leave it on.

I recommend trying Nobara out, if your aim is gaming especially. Comes with all drivers preinstalled and mostly ready to go. The only thing is you have to choose the right option at login time but that can be changed. I've been running stable diffusion on my Nobara box for a while now, too, and tried out things like Red Dead 2. Ran fine, but some features aren't available occasionally on games, or at least it's beyond me to install them.
The overwhelming majority of the computers I have here will be lucky if they ever fill out 128 GB let alone 256. The local drive houses the OS and installed programs and nothing else, it's a liability, set up cloud sync and have it all kept in OneDrive or Sharepoint.
Consumer use yeah you are going to want 512 as the minimum, but I can't imagine many consumers buying the Surface Pros, I mean I am sure there are some but there are so many better options, it's like buying a Mac Studio to do high school English assignments, if you really love the form factor then I suppose but sheesh...
The 16 GB model with the 256 is the type I would buy in bulk, roll out a monitor upgrade to the 4K options with integrated USBC docking hubs and you're ready to go.
Pair that with Intune and have Microsoft push your profiles out to it before it ships, then when it arrives you only need to do the final polishing and maybe assign it a user and update whatever you are using for Inventory Management.
I haven't seen any computers still that had a form factor like the Surface Pro. A full Windows computer with detachable tablet form factor. But it's been a while since I've looked.

And yes I mainly meant for consumer use. The enterprise space is different, if you're not a developer. Virtual Desktops like Citrix can kind of suck, though if that's what you're relying on.

I'm liking MX Linux. I've been using it for a few years now and really have no complaints (lot less complaints than I have for Windows!). I originally dual booted Linux and Windows but now run Win 11 in a VM, mostly for gaming purposes.

Thanks for the heads up. Checking Distrowatch, It's ranked #2 within the last year. Is it safe to assume the ranking list is a decent representation of community size? Obviously going to ensure I pick a popular distro to have community support if required....I'd be a kid with an inflatable vest in these waters =P.
I have no idea what MX Linux is about other than it's made in Greece/USA and based on Debian. If you go Mint then get Edge as it comes with the latest kernel. You can always update the kernel yourself but getting Mint with a newer kernel helps avoids any problems if you have newer hardware. I personally use Xanmod kernel but that's a bit above and beyond what a new person to Linux should deal with.

I think we should all be concerned when most OEMs switch to ARM because you won't be able to just buy a windows computer, wipe it and install Linux on it. Just like Android phones, the boot loaders need to be unlocked and there has to be a compatible Linux ARM image for you to install. Everyone wanting to run Linux may have to buy straight from the Linux laptop makers, or use really old hardware especially if ARM takes over in a big way over x86.

I think we should all be concerned when most OEMs switch to ARM because you won't be able to just buy a windows computer, wipe it and install Linux on it. Just like Android phones, the boot loaders need to be unlocked and there has to be a compatible Linux ARM image for you to install. Everyone wanting to run Linux may have to buy straight from the Linux laptop makers, or use really old hardware especially if ARM takes over in a big way over x86.
That is a problem, and that's coming from someone who'll be perfectly happy to use an ARM-based Mac. I'd still like Linux to hang around as an option even if most people don't ever touch it.

I am not sure how much the bootloader will be the biggest issue with them:

Some people do install Linux on those windows arm device:
https://x.com/merckhung/status/1642802461177155584

Or Unix:
https://blog.alexellis.io/linux-on-microsoft-dev-kit-2023/

Something about the Device Tree Blob was often the issue, if the device become popular and worth it and if WSL2 does not get good enough to make running linux or windows irrelevant, we can imagine people will find ways.

Won't happen. Microsoft is delusional if they think an ARM based Windows laptop is attractive to the general consumer. Even if Qualcomm's claims are correct in battery life and performance, I doubt many people would want to sacrifice x86 performance and compatibility for it. Especially with Microsoft's Recall which is going to push people away instead of towards Windows on ARM. Gotta wait and see if these laptops will allow Linux to be installed.

There's a new distro called Bazzite for gaming worth checking out, too: https://bazzite.gg/
Yeah, and this is the issue with Linux. There's no "the Linux". Or even "the Linux for <insert purpose here>". Distros can become abandonware after years of slow progress, or even fast progress. This can be considered a strength as you have the ability to choose between a lot of usually free operating systems that can have any amount of strengths for what you want. But on the dark side of that, none of them end up being as polished as they could be, because they're all fragmented, and users can jump ship when progress slows down... which ends up maybe being a vicious cycle, because the developer has little incentive to come back when no one is using their distro, and something better came out. At least that's my intuitive take on it. Of course there is the ability to fork existing things and improve upon them.

I tried out gaming on Nobara and it was snappy, but I still had some issues, namely some features of certain games just won't work under it. Sometimes ray tracing, sometimes something else. It was a fun side experiment, but I can't jump ship over to it.

At the same time, I don't think I'm jumping ship to W11 for a long while, updates be damned. Microsoft is taking its OS in a very dystopian direction. I'll at least wait until hackers and crackers figure out how to plug up every damn hole that they're going to open up with this (and whatever will come in the future) to siphon your data through.

... Especially with Microsoft's Recall which is going to push people away instead of towards Windows on ARM. ...
Both amd and intel have cpu's in the pipeline this very year that satisfy the requirements for microsoft-ai branded manure. I.e.: people aren't going to be pushed away.

As for linux on arm: I am cautiously optimistic. Seems that lenovo's arm thinkpad (the x13s) is working okey with linux and qualcomm is talking the talk for supporting linux on their new soc over at https://www.qualcomm.com/developer/...nux-kernel-support-for-the-snapdragon-x-elite

Last edited:
Won't happen. Microsoft is delusional if they think an ARM based Windows laptop is attractive to the general consumer. Even if Qualcomm's claims are correct in battery life and performance, I doubt many people would want to sacrifice x86 performance and compatibility for it. Especially with Microsoft's Recall which is going to push people away instead of towards Windows on ARM. Gotta wait and see if these laptops will allow Linux to be installed.
The vast majority of users who buy Windows systems will buy whatever runs their browser and their office suite and is the cheapest, and enterprise customers will buy whatever is cost effective and meets their needs. MS, and the rest of the market, know this quite well. You're the one that's delusional if you think that the gaming and enthusiast market makes up enough of the pie that our stiff refusal would in any way sway the major manufacturers from this course.

As long as Joe Regular User can send their emails and look at their pictures, they won't care one wit what the hardware actually is. If it's Windows without too many changes, they absolutely do not care what is under the hood.

Someone actually cracked Recall so it works on all hardware. It still requires an ARM CPU but not the NPU. Not that any sane person would actually want Recall enabled.
https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/31/...ows-11-recall-ai-feature-unsupported-hardware
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1796559385944313889
"We may well see more of Microsoft’s Copilot Plus PC features backported to existing hardware soon, too. Recall being unlocked to run on much older Arm hardware will undoubtedly raise questions about why Microsoft is limiting this and many other AI-powered Windows features to new devices that have an NPU capable of more than 40 trillion operations per second (TOPS)."

Why the NPU? Articles has an explanation.
"But the reality is that Copilot Plus PCs are also designed for Microsoft and its OEM partners to sell new hardware at a time when IDC estimates PC sales will grow this year thanks to the arrival of AI-capable PCs."

Videos kinda stupid. At the end they say that since it's local it won't be creepy. I mean, have they seen Microsoft's history? They can't resist the temptation to take money to put Candy Crush in your start menu, when it doesn't belong there. How do you expect them to resist the temptation to access the archive of everything you've ever used the computer for? To what, find an application or document you've used? How does this even help over just normal searching?

View: https://youtu.be/Z51cbhDi_vs?t=912

Someone actually cracked Recall so it works on all hardware. It still requires an ARM CPU but not the NPU. Not that any sane person would actually want Recall enabled.
https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/31/...ows-11-recall-ai-feature-unsupported-hardware
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1796559385944313889
"We may well see more of Microsoft’s Copilot Plus PC features backported to existing hardware soon, too. Recall being unlocked to run on much older Arm hardware will undoubtedly raise questions about why Microsoft is limiting this and many other AI-powered Windows features to new devices that have an NPU capable of more than 40 trillion operations per second (TOPS)."

Why the NPU? Articles has an explanation.
"But the reality is that Copilot Plus PCs are also designed for Microsoft and its OEM partners to sell new hardware at a time when IDC estimates PC sales will grow this year thanks to the arrival of AI-capable PCs."
Lots of companies out there use software that does exactly what recall claims to do and more and it has a significant performance impact on lower end hardware.

I have to use it for remotely proctored exams and it will easily choke out an i5 with 16GB, makes the system struggle with just dealing with a web browser. The recording and monitoring processes just choke it out. I suspect the NPU helps to accelerate the tasks and ARM already has many algorithms in place to accelerate video and audio capture thanks to their mobile device history they are uniquely capable at it in general.

In regards to hardware purchases, 2020 saw the Enterprise market do mass hardware renewals to meet the work from home requirements, it was a massive spending year. That hardware will start coming up for renewal in June, 2024 and 2025 will see another large round of IT renewal contracts and getting the hardware out for those contracts is a make or break event.

Article that covers how the unencrypted Recall database is accessible to any user with admin privileges while logged in (author themselves has reproduced this and set up a site where one can browse the contents of the database's OCR'd results).

The concern is if a program with malicious intent that requires the user to grant it admin privileges (or it obtains it via privilege escalation vulns) it would have access to the DB as-is and this will likely lead to an increase in valuable data exfiltration. Several days of data can be compressed to just 90KB since it's all OCR'd so it's negligible bandwidth wise.

They also contrast various realities to Microsoft's public messaging.

Article that covers how the unencrypted Recall database is accessible to any user with admin privileges while logged in (author themselves has reproduced this and set up a site where one can browse the contents of the database's OCR'd results).

The concern is if a program with malicious intent that requires the user to grant it admin privileges (or it obtains it via privilege escalation vulns) it would have access to the DB as-is and this will likely lead to an increase in valuable data exfiltration. Several days of data can be compressed to just 90KB since it's all OCR'd so it's negligible bandwidth wise.

They also contrast various realities to Microsoft's public messaging.
Lovely.

Back