New Westinghouse 22" (LCM-@@W2)??

I today just made choice between the infamous Dell 2407 & the Westy. I ended up choosing the Dell because the picture & viewing angles are better. The Westy did have a few advantages:

Lighter by far.
Not a heat generator like the dell.

If you sole purpose is for gaming and one person movie viewing the Westy is fine. If you plan on more multimedia functions get something besides a TN panel is the lesson I have learned. The viewing angles are just too limited.

heftysmurf said:
I today just made choice between the infamous Dell 2407 & the Westy. I ended up choosing the Dell because the picture & viewing angles are better. The Westy did have a few advantages:

Lighter by far.
Not a heat generator like the dell.

If you sole purpose is for gaming and one person movie viewing the Westy is fine. If you plan on more multimedia functions get something besides a TN panel is the lesson I have learned. The viewing angles are just too limited.

I think everyone here would go with the 24" if they wanted to spend that much money.

Angles on the westy pretty good, good enough for two maybe not 3 or four. I'm not sure how many people you plan on crowding around a 22" LCD.....

That said this is definetly a computer monitor first, with a DVD player on my laptop I'm not sure if I will ever use the other inputs....

Yes, I noticed that. It's $480 now. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat01012&id=1142292834310 I'm glad I got in on this yesterday. I got a 10% off coupon at Best Buy that worked so it was $360 + tax. I live near the Tennessee/Georgia border in Georgia so I got it in Chattanooga instead of driving all the way down to the BB in Marietta. It was tax free weekend in both states but monitors were exempt in Georgia but not in Tennessee. :rolleyes: $360 and no tax would have really been a hot deal on this.

trikster2 said:
I think everyone here would go with the 24" if they wanted to spend that much money.

I just couldn't justify double the money for the extra 2" on the Dell 2407. I know some women who might argue that point about the extra 2" though... :D

JohnleMVP said:
Dang the deal ended the day I got back from vacation. :(

Some are reporting the new Acer is now $399 at costco. Specs are the same but I don't believe it has all of the inputs. Not as good of a price as the westy with the 30% coupon scam, but still a pretty good new price point for 22".

trikster2 said:
Some are reporting the new Acer is now $399 at costco.

I haven't seen these at either of the Costco's near me or on their web. I assume they just came out?

psb said:
I got my Acer 2216 from Costco yesterday for $399.

I did a side by side review with the Westy 22:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1084570

Result: I returned the Westy as the colour balance on the Acer seems better

The Acer comes with DVI, VGA and power inputs only, but all cables are included

Nice review! I'll definately keep my eyes peeled for the Acer at Costco then. They both look good and the price is definately right.

I have no need for the component jacks so that doesn't bother me.

I am waiting for this moniter to come in stock and am sure hoping for more reviews from the owners....ive got a thread going that is asking wich is better the gateway 21" HD screen or this one....i had the gateway and its pretty sweet, but this one is 1 inch bigger, 3ms faster respose time, and i can get this moniter for 399.99 the gateway will cost me 499.99........for the 100 buck savings and the other upgrades and they both have all the same inputs for game consoles and what not and will do HD 1080i picture wouldnt this Westinghouse be the way to go?????

falconman515 said:
I am waiting for this moniter to come in stock and am sure hoping for more reviews from the owners....ive got a thread going that is asking wich is better the gateway 21" HD screen or this one....i had the gateway and its pretty sweet, but this one is 1 inch bigger, 3ms faster respose time, and i can get this moniter for 399.99 the gateway will cost me 499.99........for the 100 buck savings and the other upgrades and they both have all the same inputs for game consoles and what not and will do HD 1080i picture wouldnt this Westinghouse be the way to go?????
the Westinghouse is a 6-bit panel like was said in the other thread. the Gateway has a MUCH better panel. the refresh rate can be misleading so do just look at that for a reason to get the Westinghouse. the Gateway 21inch lcd is one of the best all around monitors out there so keep it and stop worrying about that Westinghouse.

the Westinghouse is a 6-bit panel like was said in the other thread. the Gateway has a MUCH better panel. the refresh rate can be misleading so do just look at that for a reason to get the Westinghouse. the Gateway 21inch lcd is one of the best all around monitors out there so keep it and stop worrying about that Westinghouse.

I don't agree at all. I've used the Viewsonic VX2025wm which is a high-quality 8-bit panel, and there's little difference in real world testing between the two. If anything, the Westinghouse has better viewing angles.

I have no doubt that the Gateway is a great monitor. But to disregard the Westy simply on the grounds of the 6-bit spec is downright foolish. It's a great monitor, at a great price. I'm using it, I'm pretty picky, and I love it. I say pick it up, see if it meets your needs (remember the settings I posted), and if you'd still rather have the Gateway, it'll still be available. You've got nothing to lose by trying it out, and a lot to gain if you like it. ;)

trek554 said:

trek554, have you actually seen a westy with DVI on a system where you control the settings?

If not make it clear that when you make statements like MUCH better, you are making them based on specs.

I have been staring at the westy for concervatively 40 to 100 hours since buying it (end of summer term) so far I'm blown away by it and after using a 22" I am so glad I did not go with anything smaller such as a puny 21" gate way.

trikster2 said:
trek554, have you actually seen a westy with DVI on a system where you control the settings?

If not make it clear that when you make statements like MUCH better, you are making them based on specs.

I have been staring at the westy for concervatively 40 to 100 hours since buying it (end of summer term) so far I'm blown away by it and after using a 22" I am so glad I did not go with anything smaller such as a puny 21" gate way.
no i have not used the westy but i have used the gateway. there are also a lot of reviews of the gateway and seems like it is one of the better monitors on the market. also facts are facts and the westy has a 6-bit panel which is considered sub par. so i still stick by my comment that if you already have the gateway dont worry about the westy.

I really wanted to like this monitor. Really I did. However, it has the worst backlight bleeding I have ever seen on an LCD monitor. NO amount of adjustment did any good. F.E.A.R. was essentially unplayable. Too bad too, cause it has a nice picture on the desktop and in other viewing modes.

I really wanted to like this monitor. Really I did. However, it has the worst backlight bleeding I have ever seen on an LCD monitor. NO amount of adjustment did any good. F.E.A.R. was essentially unplayable. Too bad too, cause it has a nice picture on the desktop and in other viewing modes.

Hmm, I'd suggest returning it for replacement. I have less backlight bleeding than I did on my Viewsonic VX2025wm (which was still pretty minor), and a heckuva lot less than on my Gateway laptop. It's visible, but only on the bottom, and it's very minor on a functional screen.

If you're still interested, take it back for a new one. Otherwise if you can spend extra, there are certainly better options out there. Remember that this monitor is aimed at being a great bargain, and it has its caveats. It has some color banding, is brighter on the bottom than the top, and has some backlight bleeding. However, it is very cheap for the size, has great clarity, viewing angles, and color for a TN panel, and has tons of inputs. Money was a big factor for me, as were the size and multiple inputs. I was willing to deal with its problems because that was the best option for my budget. Posting here exclaiming how the known problems (though I certainly hope yours is faulty, else it's clear that you haven't seen many LCDs) on a budget monitor are, in fact, problems, seems reduntant.

This thread may have been praising the LCM-22W2 a bit more than it deserved. If you're looking at getting it, remember that it's a 'bang for the buck' item, and isn't designed to give you perfect color reproduction in Photoshop. If it's gaming, media, and some desktop/internet browsing you want done, you can't go wrong here. But if you have a larger budget and/or need high picture quality, this probably won't meet your needs.

Just a heads up to future buyers. :)

animasaki said:
However, it is very cheap for the size, has great clarity, viewing angles, and color for a TN panel, and has tons of inputs.
its actually a 6-bit CMO S-MVA panel not a TN.

can anyone tell us for sure and have facts to back it up on what kin of panel this is.....ive heard a million different guesses but no proff yet. What is it?

falconman515 said:
can anyone tell us for sure and have facts to back it up on what kin of panel this is.....ive heard a million different guesses but no proff yet. What is it?
its a fact that its 6-bit and the only 22inch panels are CMO S-MVA ones. ;)

my 3rd westinghouse now. The first I bought had a horrid viewing angle. Everything was tinted purple from the side or top down. The 2nd one I got was a little better and after using it for a day it died completely and would only have a white screen. Now I'm on my 3rd one which like the other two have a horrid purple tint, but it seems to be working. Someone else must see this purple tint, it can't just be me.

Howie411 said:
my 3rd westinghouse now. The first I bought had a horrid viewing angle. Everything was tinted purple from the side or top down. The 2nd one I got was a little better and after using it for a day it died completely and would only have a white screen. Now I'm on my 3rd one which like the other two have a horrid purple tint, but it seems to be working. Someone else must see this purple tint, it can't just be me.

I haven't noticed anything like that on mine. :confused:

i havent noticed that either......granted its not the best panel out there but that should not look like that its seems that wherever you got yours they got a bad batch shipped to them!

falconman515 said:
i havent noticed that either......granted its not the best panel out there but that should not look like that its seems that wherever you got yours they got a bad batch shipped to them!

I see you broke down and got one Falconman. ;) Decided yet which one your going to keep? (The Westy or the Gateway)

I'm am at this point undecided.....i really do like this Westy.....the gateway does have a better color quality and picture not a huge difference but it definetly does but i like that this has all the same features as the gateway and is that 1 inch bigger wich makes it nice and i did pay 100 bucks less....so i might end up with this one out of the two.

My delema know is that ive got all inot this display buying frenzy and have been spending like 4 and 5 hundred to try these moniters out ....i have know moved my thoughs over to the Dell 24" panel.....it has all the inputs as this one has the pip and has a way larger display and higher resolution it will cost me about 350 to 400 more for that though and thats how much my Xbox360 would cost.....so its a tough decision right now.....not sure to try and come up with the extra and get that bad ass dell ....or save the money be happy with this display and get the 360......so thats where i know stand....but yes i funally gave this display a go and i'm pretty pleased with it for the price i paid and the features i got for that small of price!!!

any suggestions on what to do about my delema.....i Really dig that Dell....but ive been drooling for the 360 for a while i just dont know.....its hard cause after the 14 days my 400 bucks is locked into this display and thats it...so ive got to make up my mind quick!!!

Westinghouse at eye level while your sitting, make sure their is a white background. Stand up and look downwards at the monitor, everything should be a purplish white now.

you need to adjust your colors or something cause the angles and the way you explain it is dont have that problem.....i put up a white screen with vatiojs colors and at eye level they are great pure white no tint.....and thwn i stand up i see no tint at all either....the viewing just get diminished.....but the shade or tint doesnt change......try making adjustments to your color and other things.

i do the same white test (all white screen) and there is no purple tint anywhere when viewing at any angle. i have the Westy 22W2 btw.

Fortunately I, too, don't share your purplish monitor dilemma. Perhaps buy it elsewhere?

No purple tint here. Did the test exactly as described. It gets a little dimmer but actually better than some of the panels like the samsung 215. I'm using DVI off from a Quadro 1400 on my Dell Precission M70.

today i got curious and hooked the Westy up to my HD Cable box and messed with some HD channels. i used the Component input out of the Cable box straight into the monitor. on HD channels it used 1080i @ 60Hz. anyways here are some pictures with no adjustments made from stock:

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

When i get my Xbox360 and hook it up either componant or get the VGA cable for it is there certain color settings that are optimal for those inputs....ive seen the posts for the regular DVI input settings that most are using what is the best all around settings for gaming through the VGA or Componant?

Nice pictures above looks pretty good from what i can see....how does it the tv look as compared to a regular lcd meant for just tv watching? and i know ive asked before but has there been any other expierences with the 360 how good is the picture and does it also comapre to regular actuall lcd tv's?

Meow. said:
today i got curious and hooked the Westy up to my HD Cable box and messed with some HD channels. i used the Component input out of the Cable box straight into the monitor. on HD channels it used 1080i @ 60Hz. anyways here are some pictures with no adjustments made from stock:

IMG_1486.jpg

Meow

Thanks for the pictures! May have to hook up my cable box and see what it looks like....

regularchickens said:
Does this monitor have options for scaling an image to full screen, matched aspect, 1:1, and so on? And if so, do these apply to the component input?

I would also like to know this.

Cause i know my pc cannot run games at native res but I should be able to handle 1440x900. If I can scale (and look fairly decent) that would be excellent, also playing some games at 4:3 would be nice (matched aspect option). This might warrant the purchase of this over a 19incher WS (or maybe 2007fpw) if i can round up one of those 30% off BB coupons :D With component i can plug my modded xbox in :D

last night, my monitor flashed, went off and now only turns on with a white screen (just like the 2nd one I had). I called Westinghouse, they tried having me do a hard reset(unpluged for 5 mins) tried having me plug it directly into the wall and few other random things. Guy said it sounds like it blew and to exchange it. At this point I'm just going to return it and go with a samsung. I really liked the quality and I loved the price, but if I have to keep returning it once a week that isn't doing it for me. Maybe my BB got a bad batch but what really are the chances of 3 breaking in less then 2 weeks?

Howard

Howie411 said:
I really liked the quality and I loved the price, but if I have to keep returning it once a week that isn't doing it for me. Maybe my BB got a bad batch but what really are the chances of 3 breaking in less then 2 weeks?

Howard

Wow. Seriously what are the chances...they can't all be blowing out like that.

Just picked up the Westy 22" from Best Buy at a sweet price with employee discount!

I'm not a master at dual display but I just did "Clone" to test out the quality of the 2 monitors...The Westy really sticks out compared to the Sceptre! :)

(Dont make fun of the VAIO, its a temporary PC untill my mobo and CPU come!) It has a Geforce 4 Ti4200 in it, the Westinghouse is connected DVI and the Sceptre is VGA.

lcd1ej6.jpg

lcd2ry8.jpg

lcd3fi0.jpg

And...my new PC parts that are just waiting for a mobo/cpu!

newpcpartsjy5.jpg

I doubt this thing is HDCP, but I'm sure we'll come to find that HDCP will be no real issue ;). I'm gonna pick this baby up when school starts. Just bought some best buy coupons off of eBay. If it doesn't suit me I'm sure the 215tw should. Lets get some more pics to tide me over eh? :D Preferably of the BF2, DOD:S, pRon variety

Back