New Westinghouse 22" (LCM-@@W2)??

i just purchased the 22W2 two days ago, and i've loved it since i got it! here are some pictures:

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

Wow, great photos. I wish I had a better camera. Looks like this monitor may get pretty popular. ;)

animasaki said:
Wow, great photos. I wish I had a better camera. Looks like this monitor may get pretty popular. ;)

are you kidding me?? look how dark the monitor gets just barely off center.

trek554 said:
are you kidding me?? look how dark the monitor gets just barely off center.

the first 2 photos are with the flash on, thus makin' it darker than actually is. the last photo is with no flash. i don't have a tripod to hold steady without a flash. i can get some more photos if you absolutely want.

Animasaki,
Thanks for the component pix, I was looking to see if the monitor scaled the image correctly to 16:9 over component instead of 16:10 but it doesn't. So as you can see the cross hairs are still distorted ovals instead of circles.

It's nice, but a friend of mine bought it, returned it, because of banding and bought the 21" gateway, and has been happy ever since.

so the westy 22 has banding issues too? Would you characterize it as better or worse than the 2407 with regard to banding?

I was wrong. The one guy that post here was right.
There is a typo I belive on the westinghouse page, I think the light output is actaul 300.

but it is a 6bit TN panel. (I emailed westinghouse and asked)

This probably might cause banding.

So I think I'll pass, however a 4 hour email response. (ok I emails like 6am cst, they might be pst, so maybe 2 hours to answer)
is impressive.

if you have a crt, could you do any input lag tests?

I assume all these fast lcds now have some sort of overdrive which causes in some monitors lag.

by any tests, like plug in a crt and the lcd, and move a window in between the 2 (up down)

or if you can do the clock test.

This I think is more important to me then the 6bit colors.

I've done a gradient test, and it's true that there is an extremely small amount of banding. However, I would have to say the same about the Viewsonic VX2025wm, and that's more highly regarded. I'm very surprised to hear that your friend returned this simply for the banding. I mean, there's caring about quality for graphic designers (which I am), and then there's becoming anal.

Banding is there. But it's extremely minor compared to what I've seen with (for example) Dells. It will not be noticable in real world.

Just picked this up based on the pictures here.

So far I love this thing. Dwarves my 19" LCD and makes my laptops 15.4" LCD look like an Ant).

My config right now is 19" in portrait mode and the 22" (of course given the mount) in landscape mode.

My primary application is writing papers but after done with this summer session I have some games I need to catch up on (GW, Fear, Q4, etc).

So what's this banding issue that should make me hate this thing? How do I test it so I can stop loving it, realized it for the piece of garbage it is and return it within best buys 14 days????????????

Thanks!

Great pictures!

I bought a VX2025 a while ago but was disappointed as it felt smaller than my 19" WS L90D+.

I previously bought (and returned) the gateway FDP2185W, and althought it was only an inch bigger than the Viewsonic panel, it felt much bigger.

22" seems to be the sweet spot with that resolution. All the bigger monitors come with a native resolution of 1920x1200 that I wouldn't feel comfortable to live with, specially when it comes to gaming.

Size matters :D

size21vu.png

hmm cant change the thread title and accidentally held the shift button too long

FANTASTIC

great diagram showing the different sizes!

If you could squeeze the 20" 4:3 in there it would be purfect......

Thanks!

Oh man i'm going to sound like a broken record.

But can any of you early buyers test for any sort of input lag?

That to me is almost more important then color, and to some part refersh rate.

opfreak said:
Oh man i'm going to sound like a broken record.

But can any of you early buyers test for any sort of input lag?

That to me is almost more important then color, and to some part refersh rate.

if you tell me how, i can try.

Meow. said:
if you tell me how, i can try.

you have to have a crt monitor around.

and a video card that can accept both montiors at once.

Then clone desktop. And a quick and easy test is to move around a window, and see if the window moving on the crt happens before the window on the lcd.

Theres a guy that got a clock, that runs down to millieseconds and ran it in clone mode and was able to see a different time between the 2 screens.

OK

Very happy with the screen, especially after seeing how incredibly bright it is during the day in my challengin for monitors living room. 25" TV looks washed out. 19" PX192 Planar LCD (300 brightness) looks washed out but this thing looks amazing.

However: I do have one problem:

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the OSD/menu to display. I've hit all of the buttons on the side but nothing. Is my OSD broken or is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks!

trikster2, they sure try to hide it, eh? :p

You have to hold the input selection button until the OSD pops up. It takes a couple of seconds, but it'll get there.

Does this monitor have options for scaling an image to full screen, matched aspect, 1:1, and so on? And if so, do these apply to the component input?

animasaki said:
trikster2, they sure try to hide it, eh? :p

You have to hold the input selection button until the OSD pops up. It takes a couple of seconds, but it'll get there.

Thanks! that was driving me crazy.

Any idea why there is a backlight adjustment on the OSD when the component input is selected but not when the DVI input is selected?

Guys, what are your settings on that monitor?
I got the following settings:

Brightness: 58
Contrast: 54
Sharpness:3
Red: 50
Green: 50
Blue: 52

No clue, trikster2.

deanx0r, here are my settings. I've found that the Contrast setting makes bright colors white, if added much at all. Hence:

Red: 100
Green: 96
Blue: 100

Brightness: 100
Contrast: 0

This should give you the best colors all around, from my testing. The increased color values help fix the lack of Contrast, though the Brightness setting is pretty much up for grabs based on whatever you prefer. I like a lot of brightness. :D

I sure wish we could get some more info on this moniter i have a raincheck for this moniter at besy buy and i'll be geting one wehn it comes in, i have the Gateway PHD2185W HD 21" Widescreen moniter at the moment and i love it cause of all the inputs but this moniter seems to almost have the same spec minus a lower contrast ratio but has the same inputs as the gateway but is 100 bucks cheaper and has an inch more screen......would geting this one over the Gateway be worth it? 1 more inch, same inputs, 100 bucks less 3ms faster responce time.....seems like a good deal to me???????

falconman515 said:
I sure wish we could get some more info on this moniter i have a raincheck for this moniter at besy buy and i'll be geting one wehn it comes in, i have the Gateway PHD2185W HD 21" Widescreen moniter at the moment and i love it cause of all the inputs but this moniter seems to almost have the same spec minus a lower contrast ratio but has the same inputs as the gateway but is 100 bucks cheaper and has an inch more screen......would geting this one over the Gateway be worth it? 1 more inch, same inputs, 100 bucks less 3ms faster responce time.....seems like a good deal to me???????
NO. you have a very good 8-bit panel in that Gateway. ;)

animasaki said:
No clue, trikster2.

deanx0r, here are my settings. I've found that the Contrast setting makes bright colors white, if added much at all. Hence:

Red: 100
Green: 96
Blue: 100

Brightness: 100
Contrast: 0

This should give you the best colors all around, from my testing. The increased color values help fix the lack of Contrast, though the Brightness setting is pretty much up for grabs based on whatever you prefer. I like a lot of brightness. :D

I just did this and honestly can't tell the diference from the default settings. both look good. It takes so long to change the four sliders I would need two monitors to do any sort of comaprison

psb said:
I had issues with the color settings on the Westy. Did a side by side with the Acer 2216.

Review is here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1084570

PSB. Fantastic work with the latency checks, I wish you could post a side by side of the westy and the acer showing the same picture so we coudl see what you mean about everyone looking "red faced drunk all the time. " on the westy. I've gone through hundreds of my digital photos on the westy and they all looks swell (both on stock out of the box settings and the ones suggested above).

I've got the monitor side by side with a 19" LCD and other than the 19" being dimer the colors look comparable.

If I can get to costco I will definitely check out the acer though. I'm not sure I want to give up all of the inputs, but the thinner/more standard bezel is more attractive for dual monitor configurations.

whats the difference between a 6bit panel and an 8bit panel?

will i even notice the difference if i go with the westinghouse? if its not a big deal and the picture looks juts as good as do games....dang for the extra inch in screen size, faster response time, and all the same otions and HD for 100$ less than the gateway i have know its hard to pass up....i have until tuesday to return my gateway just wanting to find out if itd worth the 100 bucks savings?????

My big kicker is the 100 dollar savings and man to have that extra inch it makes the screen higher to the height of a regular 19" screen but still as wide as the 21" i have know i want a bigger viewing area for web pages, games, and for my 1080i Xbox360 gaming once i get it.......this is so hard to figure out if i should exchange the gateway i have for this one?!?!?

DBRASCO said:
According to this link from Westinghouse it's a 16.7 million color display making it an 8bit panel? Correct me if I'm wrong.......

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/t-News-06-22-2006_Best_Stuff.aspx?whlm=cnav

Brasco

Not anymore. There are both S-PVA panels and TN panels that are only 6 bits, but dithers up to 16,7 M colors. To acheve this, they use a 9-bit LUT (lookup table) instead of a 8-bit. TN panels still only uses 64 shades pr. color and are true 6-bits, not true 8-bits with 256 shades pr. color.

falconman515 said:

A 6-bit panel have 64 shades for each color Red, Green and Blue and can create a total of 262144 true colors. With dithering it can create an illusion of 16.2 M colors (with 8-bit LUT) and 16.7 M colors (with 9-bit LUT).

A 8-bit panel have 256 shades for each RGB and can create a total of 16777216 colors.

Most people doesn't see the difference between 6-bit+dithering and true 8-bit and it shouldn't matter if you don't need to do any color sensitive work.

falconman515 said:

will i even notice the difference if i go with the westinghouse? if its not a big deal and the picture looks juts as good as do games....dang for the extra inch in screen size, faster response time, and all the same otions and HD for 100$ less than the gateway i have know its hard to pass up....i have until tuesday to return my gateway just wanting to find out if itd worth the 100 bucks savings?????

My big kicker is the 100 dollar savings and man to have that extra inch it makes the screen higher to the height of a regular 19" screen but still as wide as the 21" i have know i want a bigger viewing area for web pages, games, and for my 1080i Xbox360 gaming once i get it.......this is so hard to figure out if i should exchange the gateway i have for this one?!?!?
theres a reason its a $100 cheaper. if you plan on keeping the monitor for a while then why get a lower quality one? just keep the gateway since it has a much better panel.

I just bit on the Westy yesterday afternoon at BB. I'm coming from a Mitsubishi 2060u 22" CRT and so far I'm loving it. I've been VERY reluctant to switch over from CRT to LCD after seeing some of the older LCD's. I haven't had a chance to try it out gaming yet (maybe this evening) though. That will be the deal maker or breaker. I have 14 days to decide so that should be enough.

Back