New Video Game Will Let You Play as the Taliban

Why does the article post "Medal of Honor: Battlefield 3 Beta"? I'm pretty sure this article is just about Medal of Honor, which isn't the Battlefield 3 beta, right?

I plan on playing Taliban but I plan on killing only Taliban.

I'm like a secret spy mole who bones way more girls (and hotter) than James Bond

Did I mention I get paid from the CIA in gum in flavors you can only imagine

Counterstrike had all kinds of people up in arms about it
Exactly. Counter-Terrorists vs. Terrorists - Gee... sound familiar? We like conflict, see the famous conflicts listed below:

Cops vs. Robbers - Oops!
Cowboys vs. Indians - Ok, that just looks wrong from both directions
Aliens vs. Predators - hrm, misunderstood evil on both sides?
Batman vs. Catwoman - Meow baby!
Boys vs. Girls - PPHHHTTTBBBTTTTTTTT!!!!!
Cats vs. Dogs (The Revenge of Kitty Galore) - idiotic kiddie movie
Tom vs. Jerry, Wile. E. Coyote vs. the Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny vs. Daffy Duck / Itchy vs. Scratchy - All Classics.
Video vs. Radio - well we ALL know video killed the radio star...

Why does the article post "Medal of Honor: Battlefield 3 Beta"? I'm pretty sure this article is just about Medal of Honor, which isn't the Battlefield 3 beta, right?

The Battlefield 3 part of the title got my attention also, is it confirmed that it's going to be named that? I didn't see anything about Battlefield 3 being it's subtitle. It wouldn't make any sense either since no other versions of MoH had Battlefield as a subtitle.

They need to stop making these kiddie fps console games and get working on some 64 multiplayer BF3 action.

and in all fairness, the taliban haven't always been considered "evil" - for example when they fought the soviets. but I don't want to spark a political discussion, and no, I don't support terrorism.

in all fairness, the people who fought the Russians weren't Taliban, they were the mujahideen... quite different

This reminds me of MW2 where you get to kill all those civilians at that Russian airport.

Except that that scene was worthy of some controversy. This is really no different than playing as the jihad joes in COD4.

Except that it's a bit more fresh in peoples minds.

It's a little different when someone looks at WW2 and thinks " my grandfather was killed there".......and someone else thinks " my brother got his leg blown off by the taliban, and I'm helping him with his rehabilitation daily".

The subjects closer to home, and should be dealt with better than a flippant "deal with it, it's just a game".

Okay, how about the Grand Theft Auto series? Plenty of people have had car stolen or have been victims of the numerous other crimes one can commit as the protagonist of those games. Do we stop people from playing them because there are people whom have been crime victims? To said victims, such acts ARE fresh in their minds.

Or to put it another way, movies are made about wars right after they end, and quite often while they still happen. And actors are asked to play the "bad guys" from the viewpoint of the protagonist(s) of said films in said movies. If we're to not allow video games of recent events, then perhaps we should put a time delay on said films as well. How much of a delay do you want before it's considered proper to mention such?

Something will always hit home to someone, regardless of the topic. I'm not saying we should be callous as a society, but I don't think "it's a game, deal with it" is a flippant reply personally, unless you're willing to apply such to ALL forms of art and entertainment.

They could use it as a mission simulator.
"Okay guys, we've been losing soldiers fast, let's all play as Taliban and see what ways we can to defeat our own troops and then make a counter for that."

Or realize what they've been doing wrong.
"So that's what we've been doing wrong! We should have shot at the suicide bombers!"

I'm surprised no one is complaining about some of the named tactics in some of these games, BF2 had the Jihad Jeep/ATV. Good times, then again I even did that as a USMC in game.

I must admit on these war games I always attempt to be on the American side when I join a server. I know its a game and I dont get upset over stuff like this but as someone who served,I dont like playing as the enemy killing American soldiers.

First question that must be answered:
Will there be suicide bomber missions?

I did not see any in the beta, but that is just a beta. They did have IED's that you blow up via cellphone when playing on the Taliban side of things, I just found the movement a little to stiff (animation), and overall was not as fun as other DICE/EA games.

Also as sad as it was I usually found my Taliban guy dieing a lot, but I think that was my lack of interest (or being drove nuts from their dialect).

BF:BC2 isn't bad, but I am hoping that Battlefield 3 is alot better as I think MoH is one of those maybe pick it up in the bargain bin games.

If I join Taliban will the tutorial missions allow you to stone teenage girls to death, chop off tied up prisoners heads, and then try to use conversational dialogue choices to convince losers to wear a dynamite vest and blow up a checkpoint? Also, there needs to be Taliban missions to blow up ancient statues of Buddha, missions focused on stealth were you hide a janky cave for weeks avoiding predator drones.

...and in Tie Fighter you play the Dark Side. :p

There are bad people in the world, and if games are going to be realistic, they need to be reflected in them.

I think there is something to be said for limiting young impressionable childrens access to violent video games, but if an adult wants to play a video game where they play the role of the Taliban, then I don't think it's any of our business to tell them they can't.

Personally I am so damned tired of people getting bent out of shape and tiptoing around as to not offend the military community. This is America. We have freedom of speech. Noone is exempt from being offended. Besides, these are tough-guys, not little girlie-men. They ought to be able to handle it.

Is their going to be any back story to the tali ban campaign? Fighting as the Mujhadien, against the Soviets, with US support would be interesting.

Is their going to be any back story to the tali ban campaign? Fighting as the Mujhadien, against the Soviets, with US support would be interesting.

Yeah, you have the choice of cutting all support for Afghanistan after the cold-war ends at the end of the campaign. Will you help create our own worst enemy or prevent one of the greatest US terrorist attacks before it ever happens by not dropping one of our greatest allies out in the cold on their asses. Who here loves the old Bond movies where he is actually fighting with the Mujahadeen (there really is no right way to spell it, came up with 5 different spellings from the major news outlets) or are those going to be banned from TV sooner or later. "Let history be the judge" really doesn't work if your the one write the history books.

Yeah, you have the choice of cutting all support for Afghanistan after the cold-war ends at the end of the campaign. Will you help create our own worst enemy or prevent one of the greatest US terrorist attacks before it ever happens by not dropping one of our greatest allies out in the cold on their asses. Who here loves the old Bond movies where he is actually fighting with the Mujahadeen (there really is no right way to spell it, came up with 5 different spellings from the major news outlets) or are those going to be banned from TV sooner or later. "Let history be the judge" really doesn't work if your the one write the history books.

Dont forget the movie Rambo 3, where he is fighting with the "freedom fighting" Mujhadien.

I played the beta and been reading the news about this game lately. EA wants a piece of MW2 market share as everyone else. They cranked the game out pretty fast and practically copied successful features of MW2 using proven DICE team for MP so that it could be at least playable (glad they are not repeating the NFS mistakes).

Use the name from the successful franchise from past - Check
Use BF2's successful team for MP (which is the focus of this game) - Check
Change names of MW2 features and integrate into basic MP - Check
Create controversy with "playable Taliban" and launch bunch of video about real Tier 1s helping out the game design - Check
Profit?

MOH was one of the best games I have ever played so kinda sad to see it to be used as a cash cow by EA. I dont see this game being very successful.

Thankfully we have alternatives with a lot more potential.

I think there is a huge difference between uniformed troops in army sponsored by a government adhering to the Geneva convention and the Taliban.

Every time someone mentions the Taliban, I think of Achmed The Dead Terrorist. Google it for a laugh infidel.

The Novalogic MP game Joint Ops had Indonesian Muslim rebels to play against or as. I even remember there being a bunch of trolls online one might playing as Muslims and making extremist terrorist types of comments.

I think there is a huge difference between uniformed troops in army sponsored by a government adhering to the Geneva convention and the Taliban.

Is there a modern military which is adhering to the Geneva conventions?

Is there a modern military which is adhering to the Geneva conventions?

That's a loaded question.
Officially, an emphatic yes.
(Thinks about the old, " I was shooting at his canteen", joke.)
Unofficially? Lets not talk about unofficially.
(Remembers that the old, "I was shooting at his canteen", joke, isn't a joke.)

Geneva convention?!? This after we played COD4:MW where we shoot people in their bed in the very first mission.

Back