New to SLR! I'm excited!

I know northrop, I just want to have what I need, not what I want.

I find with the 18-55, I usually have to step back several, or I don't get the pic.

I bought the 75-300 a couple days after ordering the 70-200 f4L, because a week and a half previously (before I impulse bought the f4L), I committed to buying from a guy in Chicago since I was going to be there, from craigslist.

I tried it for a few days before I got my f4L, then when I got it, I shot a football game, and the images just weren't as sharp, but that's expected. And with the acquisation of the 100-400 L (needed this badly as 200mm wasn't enough zoom for me), I really have no use for the 75-300 in my bag. It's taking up space.

As far as settings, I have progressed to Manual mode. =) Teaching myself slowly. It's pretty easy!

What are you shooting that you can't hit with 18mm?

The Canon 10-22mm is one the widest lens on the market. There may be better, but not much wider. (Sigma makes a 8mm fisheye)

I will agree with 200mm not being enough at times. However, much longer than 200-400mm you're talking big bucks.

I got my 100-400mm in today.

First shots I'm liking, but it seems a little "soft" with the AF.

Grentz, any pointers?

My camera & lens came in today. I'm going to be useless at work for the next 2 and a half hours. 7:00 can't come soon enough.

Good Lord Brin... how about you pass some of that money this way. All I got is a freakin 50mm f/1.8 and that is all I am gonna have for awhile (damnwedding). Spread the wealth brotha ;)

Examples coming. I posted that when I was leaving for work. I'm going to post what came directly from the camera.

Ok, this isn't using the 100-400, this is from last night.

First time with a tripod, long exposure. I think exif is still attached. I'm not sure.

img1462xs5.jpg

And with a longer speed:

img1463yz7.jpg

Maybe it's just me...Heck, I don't know.

I was using ISO 100, and it was overcast, I think that might be the problem.

But, I was shooting in Manual mode, which I'm still learning, getting faster though.

For this one:

SS: 1/125th
Aperture: f/5.6
FL: 400mm
ISO-100
Metering : Pattern
Exposure Compensation: 0 step

img1487copywh0.jpg

This looks good here, but wait, let me check it full size in PS. I forgot it was getting shrunk when I was viewing it on my PC. BRB. Nope, its OOF

I was using the Center Only AF point BTW, directly at the base of its neck.

Here are the full versions, if you care to have a looksie. Mind you, these were taken as soon as I got the camera mounted on the tripod.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26322435@N02/sets/72157604959326039/

It does look soft. Here's the thing, if the bird is out of focus, something should be in focus. Maybe the branches behind the bird seem to be more in focus?

Why don't you take some more example photos in bright daylight with things at multiple depths.

Now, on to using this thing.

It's my first push/pull zoom. Is it supposed to be a little "sticky" when pushing/pulling?

Also, the whole smoother/tighter (the manual focus) should only be turned when in Manual Focus mode. Correct?

Sticky is better unless you want zoom creep.

This lens has FTM (Full Time Manual) no? If so, you should be able to manual focus even while it's in AF mode.

Your pics will generally tur out softer with the f-ratios being wider. Maybe try a faster ISO with say maybe f/8-10. For wildlife that isnt going to stand still I like a minimum of ISO400 myself.

Maybe it's just me...Heck, I don't know.

I was using ISO 100, and it was overcast, I think that might be the problem.

SS: 1/125th
Aperture: f/5.6
FL: 400mm
ISO-100
Metering : Pattern
Exposure Compensation: 0 step

You need to remember the ole rule of thumb to getting a sharp pic, you should shoot at a SS 1/FL. So in your case above it would have been at least 1/640 (you have to take into account the 1.6x factor).

By looking at just those numbers and info I could already tell you before looking at the pic that it was going to be soft.

The 100-400 is a picky beast. You WILL get soft shots if you are not very careful and use good technique. At those long FLs any tiny vibration adds up immensely. I thought mine was soft for a long time as well until I learned how to better use it just practicing and such. IS is helpful, but no cure.

You also are shooting wide open which will not make any astonishing shots with the 100-400. It is a light hog which is tough, but a fact of life with many telephotos except the super fast (and expensive) primes.

Now, on to using this thing.

It's my first push/pull zoom. Is it supposed to be a little "sticky" when pushing/pulling?

Also, the whole smoother/tighter (the manual focus) should only be turned when in Manual Focus mode. Correct?

Yes, it is a bit "sticky" and you can adjust the tension with the tension ring to balance it where you like.

The 100-400 has FTM as well so you can move the manual focus ring whenever you like to tweak after the AF runs and gets a lock.

The 100-400 takes practice, patience, and learning that only you can do really. Just keep the basic rules in mind and dont try and push its limits or you will get soft shots. Telephotos are picky and light hogs, and take some work to get good results ;)

Meh, my Fuji S700 that cost me $80 doesn't do this thing justice. I can't believe people pay over $200 for the S700!!! And I got mine new from Walmart for $110-$30 MIR! I love errors

dscf4490ss1.jpg

Back