New to SLR! I'm excited!

BrinNutz

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, I bit on a helluva deal on an XTi Black Body the other day ($319 + Tax).

I could not help it!

So, I've still yet to receive it (waiting to be shipped), but I need some help with the lens purchase.

I've already ordered the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Auto Focus Lens.

Now I also need a lens that will be able to take some great zoomed in pictures. (Think, motorcycle races). Does anyone have any suggestions for a good lens that isn't super expensive?

I have been told this lens is good a good telephoto lens, but I don't know how to read all the stuff. I'm still reading up on all of this stuff!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XQW1YD2JKZ1JAQ62YFE

Any good backpacks for SLR's with 2 lenses, a 15.4" laptop, and my Fuji S700 Point N Shoot?

Thanks y'all!!! Can't wait for my first shot at HDR. That's one reason I waited for the XTi for so long

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Congrats and welcome to a expensive hobby :).

I think that lens would be a little to slow for motorcycle races. I think Sigma has a 70-200 f/2.8 that might work a little better. What is considered "super expensive"?

The lens you ordered is the new image stabilized Kit lens and it has gotten great reviews from several sites. For motorcycle races, you might want to consider a f/2.8 lens as darktiger mentioned. They're really expensive though if you need IS going with it. Better spend some mon ey on a decent tripod and get the non-IS lens unless you have tons of money to spend on a lens.

If you can't afford the f/2.8, then look at the IS 55-250mm Canon lens for only $279. It's not the fastest lens, but it'll get the job done and has IS as well.

I say go with a 70-200 f/4L
For only $559 you can't really go wrong.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-USA/Canon_2578A002_70_200mm_f_4_0L_USM_Autofocus.html

If you are willing to move into the $1000 range look at the 70-200 f/2.8L or the 70-200 f/4L IS

For a cheap decent lens check out the 75-300 f/4-5.6 from canon. There is a member here selling one for pretty cheap, and even new it costs about $150
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...473A003_75_300mm_f_4_0_5_6_III_Autofocus.html

Yeah I would have to agree with DarkTiger and ScYcS... if you can afford to fork out the money for a nice lens now. I have learned one thing in my months and months of research, lenses are forever but bodies will come and go. Meaning; if you pick up nice glass first and foremost you can increase the body features and usage as you grow because the lens will grow with you and your bodies.

I have heard good things about the new Canon 55-250mm IS but check out the Lenses 101 thread on Photography-on-the.net as there are TONS of lens reviews with pictures from many canon experts. It might be worth while to pick up something used from BHPhoto or Adorama or even Cameta Camera or Adorwin (Adorama's Ebay site) on Ebay.

p.s. I take it you were one of the lucky ones that found that XTi deal at Dell when they marked it with and incorrect price?

Here is the Sigma 70-200
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/435163-USA/Sigma_569101_70_200mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

Just like gregnash, I learned the hard way. Save up if you have to and get the right lens the first time around. My friend got the 70-200 f/4 and it was a great lens until he started to play with my 70-200 2.8 IS, guess what he did with his tax refund. Same with my brother. It would really help if you can give us a figure that you do not want to go past.

I thank you all for all of the recommendations!!

I have been doing reading on lots of these, but I'm still trying to figure out what all the jargon is. LOL

greg, you are correct sir. I just called, because I got an Order Delay email, supposed to ship yesterday, but now its 10 days later. The lady said she'll expedite the order, AND, give me overnight for FREE! woohoo!

I don't have a ton of money at all, I just couldn't pass up the deal!

So now I'm looking for a good telephoto lens for as cheap as possible. To me, $300 is a lot of money, but I do get quite a bit back from my tax refund. (I'm a student that only works part time).

darktiger, scycs, Thanks for the recommendations.

I think I'll look into the Canon 75-250mm f/4-5.6. But I do like the aperture, of the Sigma...Dammit there's too many choices!

dark,
That thing is EXPENSIVE!! Whew!!!!!

compslckr ,
A little expensive, to me anyways. I understand that this is an expensive hobby, but I'm not the best, and don't need the "highest" end stuff. It's just going to be a recreational thing really. There isn't much around here to take pics of, LOL.

I wouldn't really like to exceed $300 if at all possible.

Now, let me get this straight, the lower aperture means less light entering the sensor, correct?
And the less light entering, means that I'll be able to take shots of fast moving things, without blur. But that also depends on the settings I use as well. But, for awhile, I'll be using it on Auto mostly until I figure it all out, LOL.

I have found these codes as well to save some, but haven't looked into the lenses:
All Expire 3/28

all exp 3/28

$75 off
Canon 50mm f/1.2L USM EF #WPPI08RWDCU
Canon 85mm f/1.2II USM EF #WPPI08PHAUS
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM EF-S #WPPI08H7P70
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 USM EF #WPPI08FYGYU
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF #WPPI082KPBQ

$30 off
Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM EF-S #WPPI08YHFK0
Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM MACRO EF #WPPI083BJ3W
Canon 5D Body only #WPPI08LZLS8

$100 off
Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8 IS USM EF #WPPI08L1BK5
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS EF #WPPI08VOFEG
Canon 5D body only #WPPI08LZLS8

compslckr,
can you find the thread with the member selling one? I couldn't find it. Thanks!!

The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is another option. It is nice, affordable and has IS.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1278467 here is the thread, I thought he was selling it for a little less, but maybe you could talk him down a little.

If you want a fun lens thats cheap make sure to check out the 50mm f/1.8. it is a prime (does not zoom in or out) lens, but its really fun to play with the 1.8 aperture and you can "manually zoom" (walk closer to your subject) in alot of cases.

Thanks for those coupon codes, I will have to check out a few of those, the 24-105 f/4l usm caught my eye, but I am not quite ready to drop the cash on it yet.

Welcome to the hobby! http://www.tipsfromthetopfloor.com is a good website and they offer free podcasts to help you learn more about photography

compslckr, if you go with the 24-105 you will love that lens. I know I love mine.

What's "Super Wide Angle" lens mean?

I googled, but still not to sure....

Wide angle is a lot like a widescreen monitor. It gives you more of a wide horizontal visual of your scene. Might I suggest also looking up lenses on Flickr.com. Search the groups there to see what the lenses can do. Not all lenses can be found there though.

The 24-105 is a popular lens. In your position, I would say buy the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Although in the long run, once you grow more accustomed to the hobby and other lenses, you will find this lens very slow. But for now, it's something that does a good job at an affordable price and is a good lens.

I have the 24-135 IS lens that came with my 40D. A lot of people will say it's horrible, but does work well for now. I'm a huge fan of the 17-40 f/4L lens. Outstanding lens in a good pricerange. It's an Ultra Wide Angle.

I definitely agree with the 50mm f/1.8 lens. It's a prime lens but can assist in producing great results. Plus the fact that you can find it for $70-90 is a huge bonus.

Anyone know the difference between the "Imported" and "USA" versions besides the price?

personally, I'm into the all around lens + some specialty lenses.

For the canons...the sigma 18-200 F3.5-F6.3 OS. I know I tout that lens a lot, but it is really very convenient. the 24-105 doesn't go wide enough, IMO, the 17-85 is a little bit on the short end etc.. Sure it isn't a fast lens, but just bump up the ISO level. If you are really serious about photography, then invest in the good stuff. I know I can get perfectly good bokeh and portrait shots from that lens. Sure there are a lot of compromises with that lens, but as a starter lens, I don't think it can be beat.

edit: oh yeah, and IS is definitely worth it IMO. What sold me was when I was testing the lens out and popping off pictures at 1/30 shutter speeds and zoomed all the way out at 200mm. Every single one of them came out clear. When I dropped the shutter down to 1/15, with some effort I can get clear shots most of the time, and at 1/10, it was about half and half of the pictures that came out sharp. Sure at those shutter speeds, the action won't be "frozen", but neither of the lenses you are considering will do a great job at a moving motorcycle anyways when the light gets lower.

personally, I'm into the all around lens + some specialty lenses.

For the canons...the sigma 18-200 F3.5-F6.3 OS. I know I tout that lens a lot, but it is really very convenient. the 24-105 doesn't go wide enough,

On a 5D it is very wide :D

The Sigma is okay, it is convenient but the IQ sucks. I borrowed my friends Sigma 18-200 OS for about a week. But I do not expect to get great sharp pics from a lens with that versatile range (unless you are taking about the Nikon 18-200VR, that is one sweet lens).

Now, let me get this straight, the lower aperture means less light entering the sensor, correct?
And the less light entering, means that I'll be able to take shots of fast moving things, without blur. But that also depends on the settings I use as well. But, for awhile, I'll be using it on Auto mostly until I figure it all out, LOL.

The larger the aperture (smaller number e.g. f/2.8 ) as opposed to smaller aperture (larger number e.g. f/8), the more light gets through, the higher the shutter speeds and the possibility of less subject motion blur.

The coupon codes you listed are mostly for lenses >$1000 so out of your budget.

I would get Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS . I read it has little distortion, consistent resolution across the frame and at different apertures, and negligible chromatic aberration.

If you are thinking about shooting motorsports. I am not so sure IS is the right thing for you.

I have been using the Canon 70-200 F4L lense for all of my motorsport ventures with amazing results. You can save some dime by not getting IS and getting the F4L. If you plan to do any inside or night shooting it may pay to get the F2.8. But otherwise, the F4L is great for the price.

On a 5D it is very wide :D

The Sigma is okay, it is convenient but the IQ sucks. I borrowed my friends Sigma 18-200 OS for about a week. But I do not expect to get great sharp pics from a lens with that versatile range (unless you are taking about the Nikon 18-200VR, that is one sweet lens).

The original poster also doesn't have a 5D...

I have the canon 17-85 IS and the sigma 18-200 OS, and the sigma beats it in just about everything (sharpness, vignetting, build quality, distortion, etc.) except for being a little faster at all the zoom ranges. Sure you don't expect it too be great...but let's keep those kind of hypothetical conjectures to a minimum. If Nikon can do it, and if Sigma felt it was worth it to build a lens like that, I'm sure they could build something just as similar in quality. The only thing I will say is try one out...

I am not saying the Sigma 18-200 OS is a bad lens, I actually liked it. I did own the original 18-200. I think he should just save and get a good lens down the road. I have gone through many lens just to save money, ended up getting better things down the road.

Congratz on your purchase. For a longer lens I would suggest the SIGMA 70-200 f/2.8 at minimum for sports. Reason being that you might need a faster aperture to stop the motion with the faster shutter. The reason for the Sigma is that its cheaper. IF YOU CAN AFFORD the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS get it instead. You are talking though twice the price.

Not all people are that serious about photography and some won't know they like it unless they try. It's just a smart move to go cheap at first and practice. It's part of growing pains going up to a better lens.

70-200 is large and white. Sometimes I rather not deal with that so the cheaper lens still gets good use. I'm sticking by my 55-250 recommendation. :D

Well, I think I may have found a helluva deal.

TAMRON AF LD 200-400 LENS - $225

I found it somewhat locally. Is that a good deal?

This is f/5.6? I think that's really too slow. You suffer from worst auto focus performance and the viewfinder will be dimmer than it already is.

congrats. My XSi is on order and the 17-85 will be ordered so they arrive same/back to back days.

Im thinking of the 55-250 EF-S for the long end myself, until I can get enough to grab the 70-300 IS or the 70-200/4L IS. Either of which are going to be better lenses, just more exensive, with the L obviously costing almost 3x as much. :/

You got the effect of a faster (lower number) aparature right, but not the source of that effect. Ap is expressed as a fraction of the focal length, so a 50 f/2 lens would have an ap that maxes at 25mm, but a 50 f/4 would be 12.5mm. Best place Ive EVER seen it described is here.

Will be a good walk around but still at f/4.0 at the fastest it will still be too slow for motorsports. Really, like everyone else has said, you need to put your money to a f/2.8 or faster otherwise you will get blurred motion pics. Ultimately this is your decision...

However, one thing that I have not seen mentioned here yet is going to a local camera shot and RENTING high end lenses for the times when you need them. This will allow you to save some money up for a faster lens in the long run. Might be worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Honestly if you were thinking about that crappy lens, I would just save up a extra $125 and get a used Canon 70-200 f/4.... My friend just sold his for $400 because he got the 2.8 IS version.

Yay, my $319 Canon Rebel XTi should be here in the morning..

So, for $469 total, I got the Black XTi, plus the 18-55mm IS USM lens...w00t ($149 for the lens)

Wow, nice, not a bad deal at all.

I have heard the 18-55 IS is really nice too, great quality and such from a kit lens and much better than the old 18-55!

Wow, nice, not a bad deal at all.

I have heard the 18-55 IS is really nice too, great quality and such from a kit lens and much better than the old 18-55!

Take some nice pics of McBooty, eh?

Yay!!

I got the XTi yesterday, now awaiting delivery of my 4gb SanDisk Extreme III CF card...I figured $35 was a decent deal. I didn't need 8gb, yet anyways..haha.

So, now I'm trying to find a cheap laptop/slr backpack that's good quality but under say, $75

And, I have no idea where to start and with what kind of Filters I need and how to use them.

I can't remember where the link is to the free "Beginner's guide." Time to go googling!

Back