New to BC2, any pointers?

I just don't understand why so many people like softcore.

Nothing frustrates me more than playing on a softcore server. Get rid of the kill cam (whaaa! I don't know where I'm getting shot from!!!), the 3d spotting (hello wall hack!), and at least it's playable. I wish there was a way to filter servers based on individual settings (map on/off, spotting on/off, kill cam on/off, etc).

Uh yes it does. Try sniping from halfway across a map, you wont hit shit unless you compensate for bullet drop.

For all reasonable intents and purposes, no, it does not. I suppose you still might have to compensate slightly if you're shooting clear across Arica for god knows what reason.

Any time you actually need to be useful in contributing to a fight, or if you want to be somewhere where you will actually get kills, or if you're using an actual gun, bullet drop is a complete non-factor. It might as well be non-existent ever since they implemented the new hit mechanics from MoH.

As a new player, he doesn't have to worry about it at all. As a useless sniper sitting at the back of a map attempting to shoot useless snipers at the other end? maybe slightly.

I just don't understand why so many people like softcore.

Nothing frustrates me more than playing on a softcore server. Get rid of the kill cam (whaaa! I don't know where I'm getting shot from!!!), the 3d spotting (hello wall hack!), and at least it's playable. I wish there was a way to filter servers based on individual settings (map on/off, spotting on/off, kill cam on/off, etc).

If I could remove 3d spotting and the kill cam as default-on options in normal servers, I would in a heartbeat. However, no amount of cheesy crutch features like those can compare to the sheer awfulness that hardcore becomes when you take into consideration players having 60 health. The weapons are not balanced around it, and it takes away any semblance of skilled gunplay.

Spam sniper rifles at random body parts as fast as you can for instant kills. Spray any automatic weapon; get rewarded. Gustavs become just that much more retarded.

Even with 3d spotting, normal is just a better experience because the game was actually balanced around it. Also, If you play normal you actually learn how to shoot and control your weapon.

Skill wise, normal is more hardcore than "Hardcore" mode is. Seriously, even if you ignore all this and your objective is to play hardcore only, you should STILL be playing normal because it will train you how to clean the fuck up in an HC server.

OP, I have almost zero experience with shooters and I just hit 10 in BC2 and feel like I'm just starting to get the feel of the game. I should have looked at the guides and advice threads to begin with but most of the tips are helpful. Learning the maps and not worrying about KDR are probably the most useful. Jadamm's advice on hitting the Q key is very helpful to your teammates but I was unaware of it for the first 8 ranks and still have to remind myself to use it as often as possible. If it hasn't been mentioned, always try to join a squad when entering the game and try to pick a class that will compliment it. If you are going to spawn on an engineer, choosing assault might be a good idea also since you will keep them full of ammo and get points for resupply.

The game is 1000x more fun when you're on a squad that used TS or Vent, even if you're losing. My KDR is still crap but I still feel useful when I play a support class like a medic and get my teammates up lickity-split ... making sure they won't get gunned down immediately after (most guys really hate that). I just enjoy the heck out of the game and the fact that I'm not good at it and still like it either means the game is great or I'm just too much of a n00b to know any better.

Yeah huge thanks to the guys who've posted here; I think I've sunk maybe 4-5 hours in the game now and at level 3 starting to get some unlocks. Shooting for the defib by tonight ;)

I also edited the crap out of my settings files, can't seem to get the turret/vehicle aiming sensitivity right, it's way too sensitive with the way the guide sets it ><

^ i use a mouse that you can set dpi on the fly. i set it really low when i snipe (which is virtually never) normal when on foot, and high when in a vehicle. on high it doesnt take 5 swipes across the mousepad to turn the tank barrel 180 degrees.

When you're a medic and flying passenger in the black hawk make sure you jump out right before you get missle locked and paddle strike from above, works everytime.

This thread has been of immense help to me, I will definitely be pressing "q" now. Is there some sort of spec-ops equivalent in BC2 (like BF2 spec ops with C4) that was the class I always played.

^ i use a mouse that you can set dpi on the fly. i set it really low when i snipe (which is virtually never) normal when on foot, and high when in a vehicle. on high it doesnt take 5 swipes across the mousepad to turn the tank barrel 180 degrees.

I have an old Logi mx518 that I have the customizable slow-medium-fast settings that you can cycle through. It's very handy and you'll curse yourself when you forget to change it and someone guns you down while your swinging your gun wildly.. :eek:

This thread has been of immense help to me, I will definitely be pressing "q" now. Is there some sort of spec-ops equivalent in BC2 (like BF2 spec ops with C4) that was the class I always played.

recon, 870 shotgun, slugs, magnum ammo, motion mines, c4

<3

For all reasonable intents and purposes, no, it does not. I suppose you still might have to compensate slightly if you're shooting clear across Arica for god knows what reason.

Any time you actually need to be useful in contributing to a fight, or if you want to be somewhere where you will actually get kills, or if you're using an actual gun, bullet drop is a complete non-factor. It might as well be non-existent ever since they implemented the new hit mechanics from MoH.

As a new player, he doesn't have to worry about it at all. As a useless sniper sitting at the back of a map attempting to shoot useless snipers at the other end? maybe slightly.
You're blind if you can't see bullets dropping after extending their distance.

Hes referring to majority of the guns. Even shooting at really long distances, you really don't need to compensate for the bullet drop. The only time it really matters is when you're sniping. Otherwise, just get the red dot or whatever you're using on the guy (or lead em a little) and start bursting...

If I could remove 3d spotting and the kill cam as default-on options in normal servers, I would in a heartbeat. However, no amount of cheesy crutch features like those can compare to the sheer awfulness that hardcore becomes when you take into consideration players having 60 health. The weapons are not balanced around it, and it takes away any semblance of skilled gunplay.

Spam sniper rifles at random body parts as fast as you can for instant kills. Spray any automatic weapon; get rewarded. Gustavs become just that much more retarded.

Even with 3d spotting, normal is just a better experience because the game was actually balanced around it. Also, If you play normal you actually learn how to shoot and control your weapon.

Skill wise, normal is more hardcore than "Hardcore" mode is. Seriously, even if you ignore all this and your objective is to play hardcore only, you should STILL be playing normal because it will train you how to clean the fuck up in an HC server.

First, thanks for the polite response. 99 times out of 100, the response I get to my concerns is "f-ing idiot moron retard noob. hardcore is for sissies and whiners, blah blah".

To respectfully disagree however, I will say this. I play on hardcore servers almost exclusively. I am nearly always the top player on my team, and frequently on the server. I have no problems "cleaning the fuck up on HC servers".

I switched to this game from other games where weapon damage is modeled more accurately than normal mode (Insurgency, Red Orchestra, etc) so having to shoot someone 5 or 6 or 8 times with an assault rifle is counter-intuitive. No one on this planet can survive being shot in the back 6 times at point blank range with a .308 (G3). And yet, in normal mode, I get behind someone, shoot them 4 or 5 times and they jump, spin, duck, fart and no-scope me in the head with their M95 sniper rifle and I die, and they wait 5 seconds and heal all their health back.

I do occasionally play on normal servers with friends, and most of the times I get killed it is because someone could see me through a wall because their friend spotted me from across the map, and they spray and pray their LMG through the wall, or some other ridiculous occurrence.

I played on a normal server last night for about an hour, at the end of which I was ready to punch baby kittens. Among other things, there was a guy flying the helicopter on Isla, hovering out over the enemy base, his gunners destroying everyone on the island. I switched to sniper, which I almost never play, and proceeded to put 30 or 40 rounds right into the drivers window on the helo. That same helo didn't crash until after the second set of objectives had been destroyed. The M95 (with magnum ammo) should have completely destroyed the helo, but for some reason it never crashed. It took forever for it to even start smoking.

Later, I shot someone in the head from about 50m away with that same M95 (with magnum ammo) while he was standing still calling a mortar strike and he didn't die. Happened probably 10 or 15 times through the match. How is that weapon "balanced" for normal mode? Even in normal mode, a headshot with almost weapon in the game should equal dead.

In normal mode, spray and pray with any automatic weapon is just as bad as in hardcore because there is no penalty for standing out in the open and jumping all over while holding down the trigger on your M60. I get killed more by Gustavs in normal mode than I do in hardcore, since the guy with the gustav is usually dead before he shoots at me. In softcore, I can put 5 or 6 rounds on him before he dies, giving him plenty of time to blindfire his gustav and kill me. Also, it seems like friendly fire is turned off on almost all normal mode servers, meaning people don't have to be careful with their shots. They just shoot everything and never worry about killing teammates.

From my perspective, "skilled gunplay" means aiming and hitting your target on the first hit. First shot wins. How many times on "normal" servers have you been completely lit up by an enemy, caught in the open with no cover, only to run, jump, duck, spin, dodge and end up behind a wall 50 feet away and survive the engagement? That isn't about skill, that is about a better ping (hit detection) or the fact that you have 120 health plus armor, and weapons aren't doing enough damage. You just don't survive being shot multiple times by an assault rifle while trying to hop, skip, and jump across an open field.

The difference in opinions about hardcore vs softcore is where the skill in playing well comes from. In hardcore, the skill required is moving from cover, aiming fast and accurately and not letting anyone get a shot at you. In softcore, the skill required is hitting the same target multiple times, which gives the target a chance to get away.

When I do play on softcore servers, I either do very well and end up at the top of the scores, or I spend all my time dead because stealth and tactics don't matter when everyone has wall hacks and is given a free look at your location when they die.

Long story short, softcore isn't fun for me. I don't feel that it takes more skill, and it just frustrates me with all the features that benefit the generally less skilled player.

You're blind if you can't see bullets dropping after extending their distance.

If im not mistaken the ONLY guns that were EVER affected by bullet drop were sniper rifles. Regular guns never to factor it in regardless of distance.

I imagine the server calculating EVERY bullet's drop would get quite intensive.

Yep, here are a few pointers for ya

Use your mouse to navigate the reticle around the screen

Aim at an opponent

Press the left mouse button to execute kill

repeat

To respectfully disagree however, I will say this...

I don't really want to get into it because it's unlikely that anything said in either direction will change anyone's opinion, especially since I would mostly be pointing out random things and saying "no it's the opposite", but I do just want to point out the following:

proceeded to put 30 or 40 rounds right into the drivers window on the helo. That same helo didn't crash until after the second set of objectives had been destroyed. The M95 (with magnum ammo) should have completely destroyed the helo, but for some reason it never crashed. It took forever for it to even start smoking.
There was an engineer sitting in the back repairing it, which is what would have prevented it from dying. The driver would have taken a maximum of 2 or 3 shots to kill if you were hitting him, depending on if he was wearing armor or not. Any hit to the head would have been an instant kill.

Later, I shot someone in the head from about 50m away with that same M95 (with magnum ammo) while he was standing still calling a mortar strike and he didn't die. Happened probably 10 or 15 times through the match.
This is an instance of bad server hit registry, because a headshot with any of the bolt action sniper rifles is a 1 shot kill at any range in normal. Even with non-magnum ammo, vs a target wearing body armor. If you got an "X" and he didn't die, then you didn't actually hit him in the head.

Sounds like you were just playing on a shitty server.

If that video was to prove that there is no bullet drop then that is not a good example. You were using a GOL which has the least amount of bullet drop at a very short distances. Go play heavy metal and try to snipe someone you can barely see if you want a real example. It was hard to tell but it looks like the marksman headshot scores you were getting we 20 and below. Try doing the same and getting 100+.

Bullet drop definitely plays a factor at long range sniping but I agree that 99% of the time you don't have to worry about it. Really the only other time I can think that it matters is trying to take out a UAV from a distance with any gun.

I also edited the crap out of my settings files, can't seem to get the turret/vehicle aiming sensitivity right, it's way too sensitive with the way the guide sets it ><

Yeah, it's not flawless, there's a bit of mucking around needed to find your sweet spot.

not to mention that MG36 was nearly unusable in HC servers for many months until dice finally decided to fix the red dot sight, also there are no freaking crosshairs when riding in the passenger seat of an APC nor when manning a heavy MG, the absence of health regeneration is terrible too, especially in SDM where nobody wants to be a medic.

Sorry if I am repeating what has already been said.... I don't have time to read the whole thread (I am at work :eek:).

Picking up dropped kits can really help you out in the game. When you are at lower levels, you can get better weapons that aren't yet available. Also, you can utilize benefits from other gadgets.... ex: if you are with a Medic who gets killed (and you are playing another class), pick up his kit and res him or use his health kits to heal yourself. If a tank is near and you can pick up an Engineers kit, use his "rocket launcher" to take out the tank. Or use it to repair a tank.

This trick has helped me a great deal - use it!

I can't believe nobody +1'd or this'd this. The Q button is the third most important button in the game after W and mouse1.

this makes me think none of you spot! I hate you all!

Maybe cuz I didn't explain it to the OP. When you see an enemy press Q. It puts a red triangle above his head and marks him on the map. This is single handedly the most help you can be to your team when first starting. I can't even begin to tell you how often I shoot at red triangles in the brush from literally across the map and actually kill the person. Plus when if you spot someone who then dies you get points! The easiest free points in the game. Don't spam it though. Frantically pressing Q will not spot everyone in sight. press Q in a window/door/bush/cliff where you think an enemy might be.

Q is also used for other team actions to tell peoole you have/want ammo/med kit.

Q is your best friend. Use it and use it often!

Not if you play Hardcore.

Nice Job posting a video from nearly 10 months ago; way before the bullet drop change. Totally relevant. Second, I already said if you're going to be at useless, retarded ranges where you won't be contributing anything to your team, you'll probably have to compensate slightly.

There is no semblance of bullet drop in the video I posted, whatsoever. I even missed a guy BECAUSE I aimed slightly over his head too. You aim straight at a guy's face, it's going to hit right where you shot.

Nice Job posting a video from nearly 10 months ago; way before the bullet drop change. Totally relevant. Second, I already said if you're going to be at useless, retarded ranges where you won't be contributing anything to your team, you'll probably have to compensate slightly.

There is no semblance of bullet drop in the video I posted, whatsoever. I even missed a guy BECAUSE I aimed slightly over his head too. You aim straight at a guy's face, it's going to hit right where you shot.

That's because you recorded a demo at ranges where the bullet drop doesn't come into effect. That isn't the same as "no bullet drop".

And in what update did they change bullet physics?

Everything as of 10/2010 still shows bullet drop. In game does, every forum post I'm reading does - with the exception of yours, though. So now I'm thinking you're full of shit.

Play as the medic class. Also, redoing the keys on your keyboard will also help out.

For example here's my setup:

wasd for movement

e - medic pads
f - machine gun
v - pistol
g - medic health kit
c - crouch
t - knife

This setup works really well for me because all of the keys are very close together and just feels more natural.

For my mouse set up:

left mouse button - shoot
right mouse button - run
middle button - throw grenade
top left button - zoom in (it's right next to the left mouse button and just feels very natural to zoom in before shooting)
bottom left mouse button - quick turn (turns the player 180 degrees so that I can quickly scan the back without actually moving the mouse button.
The three dpi settings on the mouse I use for either in vehicles (tank, etc) for high, normal when on foot and slow when sniping.

I think binding the keys for best usage and feels makes the biggest difference in the game.

bottom left mouse button - quick turn (turns the player 180 degrees so that I can quickly scan the back without actually moving the mouse button.

this an in game setting or a custom mouse setting?

So I've "tweaked" my setting via the mouse lag fix but now my turret/mg sensitivity is CRAZY, how do I reduec the sensitivity of turrets??

What kind of mouse are you running. I have a mx518 and I have two buttons that I can switch sensitivity on an instant.

Is it just me or is the netcode really buggy? Getting randomly disconnected in games with lost connection and I have to log out and log back in... sometimes I need to restart the game and wait a few minutes before I can play online again.

anyone know how to get magnum ammo in this game? a lot of people who kill me have this.

So I've "tweaked" my setting via the mouse lag fix but now my turret/mg sensitivity is CRAZY, how do I reduec the sensitivity of turrets??

Go back to the setting you edited to get it to be oversensitive and lower the numbers until you find what works for you.

Why is there no training mode in the game? I would love to learn how to fly helicopters but I hate too ruin online games cause i want too learn.

just go to an empty server and train.
you can learn the maps and complete missions.
I heard some people, I uh, won't name names, actually got some of their unlocks that way
but they turned off xp at some point so it no longer works

Back