New threadripper 1950x build

KevinG

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Yes. (no, really, all of the above, see details below)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$3Kish

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Just outside Philly - have a microcenter nearby

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer.
The list is below.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing monitor/keyboard/mouse/storage drives

6) Will you be overclocking?
Mildly

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
4K, 27"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next 2 weeks

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Crossfire or SLI support? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
Nothing special - plenty of USB ports would be nice

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Win 64 license via my MSDN subscription.

===========================================

So, it's time. My 6 year old rig is being passed down to my son to take to school.
i 2700K, 1070 - and he'll be gaming at 1080

This gives you some idea of why I'm okay with the threadripper as a gaming machine. I was/am quite satisfied gaming at 4K on this 1070...so, I'm not afraid of turning down features to get a good frame rate. I don't need/want an all out gaming rig, and plan to utilize the extra cores via photo editing/video rendering/software development.

Here's my list so far:

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($749.99 @ Newegg) [ $699+tax at microcenter ]
CPU Cooler: Enermax - LiqTech TR4 360 102.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($132.48 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX TR4 Motherboard ($289.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory [F4-3200C14Q-32GVK] ($460.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Extreme Video Card ($798.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.51 @ Newegg)
Total: $2871.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

============================================

Questions:

1) Is this cooler right? Will it fit in this case with this MB and memory? Any clearance issues to be aware of?
2) I can't see a large difference in x399 MBs...am I wrong?
3) I'm looking for CL14 DDR4-3200 memory. Is this the right stuff? Any reason to pick something else?
4) I'm not strictly stuck on M.2 for a boot drive, nor the 970 pro specifically. But it seemed like at this total price, it might be justified to get the best?
5) 1080ti was picked somewhat randomly. Fast core clock, 3 fans. Better alternatives in the same price range?
6) The case - I'm not AT ALL interested in fancy cases to show off my computer. It's an appliance. I just want everything to fit, stay cool, and give me a bunch of accessible USB ports on the top/front [not even sure this case has that?] Any good recommendations?
7) Power Supply - I think 850W is justified here? Should I pick another modular PS for any good reason?
8) What type of TIM should I be using nowadays?

I considered just getting everything at Microcenter, since nowadays you pay tax on almost everything online anyway. B & H photo still ships to me tax free...but they don't have enough of the parts to really justify that. But, in the end, aside from the threadripper itself, Microcenter isn't competitive on price.

Thanks in advance for any and all hints/tips/pointers you can give me!

Last edited:
Oh boy, fun build there. There's one important thing you must consider if you haven't already.

Threadripper 2 will be announced/releasing(?) August 13th of next month. They up the cores all the way to 32 cores 64 threads for a rumored maximum price of $1500.

I feel like with $3000, you might be able to,make something like that work for you. There will also at least be a less expensie 24 core part. It is yet to be seen if the 16 core part will be updated to 12nm as well.

For the rest of your points:

1) The Enermax is a good performing AIO, but I have heard some bad storries about the loop gunking up after awhile. Might be good to look into.

2) With Threadripper 2 and its increased CPU TDP, there will be new motherboards with enhanced VRMs that I would strongly suggest considering

3) CL14 3200mhz is basicly a guarantee for getting Samsung B-die modules which is what you want for the best Ryzen and overclocking compatibility.

4) No doubt that is a great drive. The evo would be similar if you need to cut a few bucks. Also some good price/perf drives under it as well. I've heard good things about the 2nd gen of WD nvme ssds. (Not their 1st gen..confusing I know)

5) 1080ti is the best you can get right now. If you wanted you could wait for the next 2080 to release one of these months. And just run an old gpu you might have laying around. You could also pick up a used mining gpu for cheap if bitcoin ever feels like crashing hard. Up to you.

6) hmm if you are about performance I would suggest looking at Silverstone's cases with mesh fronts. They have some of the best airflow in the market.

7) PSU.. Hard to say since it depends. I imagien a 32 core Threadripper could make you want a bit more.

8) hmm I always just use the noctua stuff. I think thermal grizzly has some good stuff to consider as well (I wouldn't trust the stock stuff with your pricepoint)

First off, thanks for the response!

Threadripper 2 will be announced/releasing(?) August 13th of next month. They up the cores all the way to 32 cores 64 threads for a rumored maximum price of $1500.

I'm aware. The issue is really timing. My son will be going back to school early Sept., I feel like we need a good month to feel like both of our new rigs are "finished" (both will be bare metal installs, and we need real time to re-install everything that we use, get everything set up, etc... I don't have everything backed up nightly to the 2012 server, so there's no danger we'll lose anything, but it does take time.) So, even though new stuff is coming out, like it always is...we're sort of in a time crunch.

1) The Enermax is a good performing AIO, but I have heard some bad storries about the loop gunking up after awhile. Might be good to look into.

Interesting. I'm using a corsair 100 in the current rig, I suppose I could look into getting one that fits the threadripper. Any other specific suggestions?

3) CL14 3200mhz is basicly a guarantee for getting Samsung B-die modules which is what you want for the best Ryzen and overclocking compatibility.

Thanks. I'll guess I'll have to look closely at the specs on this ram to see if it meets that criteria.

5) 1080ti is the best you can get right now. If you wanted you could wait for the next 2080 to release one of these months. And just run an old gpu you might have laying around. You could also pick up a used mining gpu for cheap if bitcoin ever feels like crashing hard. Up to you.

Not really in a position to wait, and after living through the launch of the 1080, it'll probably be impossible to get one for a few months.

6) hmm if you are about performance I would suggest looking at Silverstone's cases with mesh fronts. They have some of the best airflow in the market.

Thanks! Will look at what Silverstone has.

That's gonna be a sick rig for sure!

As for cooling the TR you'll want a cooling solution specifically designed for the TR. They are a lot larger than other CPUs and have a lot wider area that needs to be covered for it to be cooled properly.

Your 850W PSU will be plenty for that setup. The TR, not overclocked uses less than 200W and the 1080Ti not overclocked uses less than 400W. That's 600W and gives you 250W of room for whatever overclocking you may want to do. Plenty of left over power.

You should help team [H] win some Formula-BOINC Sprints when you get it up and running. We won the last two.

Ah yeah you're right. I didn't account for the 394W being the whole systems power usage. Whoops.

Okay, after researching the cooler, and the horror stories about it clogging up, or the fans failing, I've decided to simplify (sort of), and go with this instead:

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)

It does mean that I have to be careful about not getting memory with huge spreaders on them (the ones I picked look like they will fit), and I do have to worry about case clearance...but picking a case is up next.

Did some research. That case will be fine. Cheap, fits the cooler, has front USB ports. Done.

So, have I over sized the power supply by too much? Sounds like I can go down to 650 watts? Are most/all modern power supplies going to have the correct cables to power the threadripper MB?

Ordered the following from B&H:

SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 850W Platinum
Samsung 512GB 970 Pro
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon
ZOTAC 1080i AMP Extreme

Ordered the following from Amazon:
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 cooler

Ordered the following from NewEgg:
G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE (yeah, ended up getting the tempered glass/RGB fans version for $15 more)

That leaves:
CPU - Microcenter - either today at lunchtime, or over the weekend

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE (yeah, ended up getting the tempered glass/RGB fans version for $15 more)

The case arrived.

First mistake. That's what you get for being impatient. I didn't realize that this is *not* just the Enthoo Pro with a tempered glass side panel. It's a different case entirely. I wouldn't have gotten this is if I had recognized the differences, but it isn't worth trying to send it back. I think it will work.

What are the differences?

The "M" stands for mid-tower, it would seem. The non-M is a full tower.

Full tower includes 3 fans, and a fan hub, and, most importantly (to me), four usb ports on the front of the case, instead of 2 on the left side of the case (which will face away from me...)

I can fit everything in the mid tower. But I'll end up buying more fans...and the usb port issue is a real bummer.

Dang that sucks man. If you need USB ports up front that bad they make 5.25" devices that have USB ports on the front, though they usually have other things as well like fan controllers or flash drive slots.

Dang that sucks man. If you need USB ports up front that bad they make 5.25" devices that have USB ports on the front, though they usually have other things as well like fan controllers or flash drive slots.

Yeah, that would be a fine solution...if only this case actually had more than 1 single 5.25" bay (that I'm using for my burner...yes, I still burn MP3 cds for my wife's car...).

In the end, if it bothers me enough, I'll get a USB external burner, and put in some USB ports in that bay.

A few more notes on this case...It looks like Phantek's quality control isn't great.

1) it is missing one of the four thumb screws that holds on the glass panel.
2) the magnetic mesh screen for the top has become separated from the magnets, making it somewhat useless.
3) the specs online say it includes 3 fans (2 front, one rear)...but mine only came with 2.

I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Its time to update the wife's car with a bluetooth enabled headunit and get her a subscription to a streaming music service such as Spotify or Pandora. (they have free subs for them as well)

Heatsink arrived. It's a beast.

Tracking everything else shows that I'll have an almost finished PC tomorrow... The memory will arrive on Tuesday, along with the new 2TB SSD that I decided to add yesterday. Figured it would be nice to have a 1TB Steam drive, and a 2TB "everything else" drive...meaning I don't have to have a spinning disk in there at all, if I eventually want to go that route.

Motherboard, Power supply, GPU arrived today. m.2 ssd and memory tomorrow...and new SSD in another week (I was wrong about it landing tomorrow).

A few more notes on this case...It looks like Phantek's quality control isn't great.

1) it is missing one of the four thumb screws that holds on the glass panel.
2) the magnetic mesh screen for the top has become separated from the magnets, making it somewhat useless.
3) the specs online say it includes 3 fans (2 front, one rear)...but mine only came with 2.

I'll be calling them tomorrow.

I was wrong about the specs saying it included 3 fans. So, I ordered a third case fan, and a second cpu cooler fan from Amazon. However...

I did try to call phanteks, and it went straight to voicemail...Not very professional. So, I sent an email. Then I stumbled upon this:

http://phanteks.com/forum/showthread.php?355-Phanteks-What-gives-with-customer-service

Okay, it's a bit dated...but I may end up sending this case back if I don't hear anything within a few days...

Look up Fractal cases. I own a few and theyre some of the best cases ive ever owned.

Phantek's responded to my email, no news yet on what they are going to do, or how long it will take.

Build went well last night. SSD and Memory are "out for delivery" today, so, assuming the thing boots, I'll be installing Windows tonight.

No real issues other than the fact that the front mounted fans in this case really only have leads long enough to get to the place where they expect you to plug into their fan hub (which isn't included). So, I'm going to look for creative ways to get those fans plugged into something...or have to actually by a hub, or extensions, or whatever.

The cooler and GPU actually have a small fraction of a millimeter between them...really really close. A non-issue, but it could have been bad.

Phantek's been pretty good on support, it turns out. Have a tracking label for the replacement top mesh. Awaiting clarification on the fourth bolt to hold the tempered glass in place.

EDIT: Just received confirmation that they included the missing thumb screw in the shipment...I should be good to go.

Last edited:
One more Noctua fan for the back of the heatsink, and one more Phanteks fan for the back of the case arrived. Also, a GPU bracket.

Everything is installed, and up and running. The new 2TB SSD arrives on Saturday, and I'm waiting for that to be installed before I deal with cable management on the back side of the case...The front side is nice and tidy.

Initial impressions: Quiet. I'm just amazed at how quiet this thing is. Even when under load (Fallout 4, 4K, ultra - Doom 4K ultra). The M.2 SSD doesn't feel any bit faster than my previous regular old SSD builds. But, overall, so far, the rig is doing what it is supposed to do...let me game at 4k, while having tons of cores to do whatever else I want to do with them when not gaming. I started working on a toy app to render surfaces via vulcan...mostly as a learning exercise, but also to see how far I can push it.

I had to add this just in case anyone stumbles on this thread later. I've just received an email that my order from Phantek's (customer service responding to my issue) is "out for delivery." So, contrary to what I found via google in the past, this was pretty fantastic customer service.

Put that thing in the formula boinc contest [H] is competiting in right now. It ends Sunday. We could use all the help we can get.

Back