New Smartwatch May Let You Gesture On Your Hand

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
A new patent from smartphone maker Huawei shows technology that may let you write or gesture on the back of your hand. The patent filed with World Intellectual Property Organisation, describes a system that uses sensors to scan the area around a smartwatch in order to recognize gestures made on the back of your hand.

I still personally have no real interest in a smartwatch, the technology in this patent is sweet, and could potentially be used for other things.

The sensors can also recognise more complex gestures like double taps and long presses, meaning you could not only write on the back of your hand and have words appear on your watch's display but also navigate through the watch's interface - all without ever touching the device itself.

A new patent from smartphone maker Huawei shows technology that may let you write or gesture on the back of your hand. The patent filed with World Intellectual Property Organisation, describes a system that uses sensors to scan the area around a smartwatch in order to recognize gestures made on the back of your hand.

I still personally have no real interest in a smartwatch, the technology in this patent is sweet, and could potentially be used for other things.

The sensors can also recognise more complex gestures like double taps and long presses, meaning you could not only write on the back of your hand and have words appear on your watch's display but also navigate through the watch's interface - all without ever touching the device itself.

This shit's going to drive some deaf people insane :banghead:

So if I understand this correctly, one could flip the bird at the watch? :D

cmon guys, gesture and touch is tech that is being sold to you until voice is perfected.

I've tried out countless smart watches. I thought the Apple Watch was the best of the bunch (so far). That said, I don't wear it as it seems pointless. Apps are ridiculous and kind of pointless. The information they show is redundant. I also find them distracting - go to a meeting, your watch starts alerting you. Try not to read it. It's like that itch you get sometimes and really want to dig in...you shouldn't do it (at least not in public...).

If they start adding more mHealth features to watch bands (or something similar), they might be more interesting from that aspect. If I could somehow get my blood pressure, EKG, heart rate, blood sugar level, etc - I'd be interested.
A few of these are possible now with certain devices. I'd like a single device that can do it all. And to stay on topic, let hand gestures control it.

I've tried out countless smart watches. I thought the Apple Watch was the best of the bunch (so far). That said, I don't wear it as it seems pointless. Apps are ridiculous and kind of pointless.
I dont think smartwatches are really meant to "run apps", they are meant to augment the one's you already use on your phone. For instance note taking, sms, reminders, email, etc. Trying to use the smartwatch as a standalone device will feel very limiting and is probably why most people fail to enjoy them. The truth is the smartwatch simply removes the necessity of digging in your pocket and unlocking a phone every time you want to look at something. I work IT, I get a lot of text/email, sometimes my hands are full or im working with a user, sometimes I'm in a restricted environment where I'm not supposed to whip out a personal phone. My smart watch lets me know whats going on with all of those message with the blink of an eye. I like to use it to reference checklists for deploying software, or just basic grocery shopping so I can walk around with both hands on the cart. Sometimes I'll remember "that one thing" in the middle of the day to get and just immediately throw it on my to-do list so it's all sync'd up. I can even pause netflix/spotify while streaming to my chromecast. Heck just being able to change the watch face makes it feel like you have a new watch sometimes. Again the idea is to just augment existing apps by making them easier to interface with for simple things quickly.

What I dont do with it is surf the web, compose messages, write emails, navigate, watch movies, play games, etc.

cmon guys, gesture and touch is tech that is being sold to you until voice is perfected.

I'd rather see people gyrating their fingers then having to listen to them talking to their devices. But then, I actually like it when I'm in a restaurant and I see a family of four with their noses stuck in their phones, they're very quiet.

I would like a "PHONE WATCH". I don't care about fashion, or if it tracks my fart beat or how many steps I take.
I want the convenience of not having to carry the pocket led weight of a smart phone with me. IF the phone rings, I have to stop what I'm doing and fish for it. This is a PITA if you are driving.
I don't care about face book, or twitter or any of that crap. In fact I would have been happy to stick with my old Motorola flip phone for the most part.
The thing is; they are out there. Phone watches; but none of the carriers in my are support them. :mad:

I would like a "PHONE WATCH". I don't care about fashion, or if it tracks my fart beat or how many steps I take.
I want the convenience of not having to carry the pocket led weight of a smart phone with me. IF the phone rings, I have to stop what I'm doing and fish for it. This is a PITA if you are driving.
I don't care about face book, or twitter or any of that crap. In fact I would have been happy to stick with my old Motorola flip phone for the most part.
The thing is; they are out there. Phone watches; but none of the carriers in my are support them. :mad:

Fart tracking is in the iUndies prototype. It'll also detect if you talk out of your ass.

now lets couple this with email read receipts and you would have a hit

you.. send an email to john.. you get a read receipt back saying "john read your email and started doing a up and down hand motion while reading it"

oh yeah..

Fart tracking is in the iUndies prototype. It'll also detect if you talk out of your ass.

Naaa,
I just wanna be like Dick Tracy.

1562115-odt2.jpg

Back