New Silverstone FT02

Had a couple days to play with the FT02 and its an awesome case. From the moment I received the package I was like OMG, cause the thing is MASSIVE. Hella quiet if you set the fan speeds to low but on high its only a little bit quieter then the Panzerbox was. Though wire management is SOOO much easier with this guy and the parts are awesome quality, even the top plastic section is still very solid and sturdy.

Gotta throw in a little bit of computer lovin' here too:
http://webpages.charter.net/zeroexcavations/assets/comppron.JPG

Sorry for the image, all I have for a camera is an Iphone 4 so I adjusted it a bit to get the grain and overly brightness out of it.

So easy to keep the case clean with the positive pressure and the easy to use filters.

Best aircooling case ever.

So easy to keep the case clean with the positive pressure and the easy to use filters.

Best aircooling case ever.

My first post -> please be gentle!

Bought this case last October and bit by bit bought the other parts from my monthly savings. Finally completed last week. Need to rewire the PSU and Sata cables with the braided ones next. But I can't wait to post my pics.

Configuration:

Case: Silverstone FT-02WRI Limited Ed.
Processor: i7 930 (OC dynamically to 4.2Ghz)
Heatsink: Noctua NH D-14
Board: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Rev. 2
Ram: 12Gb (6x2Gb) Kingston Hyper-X 1600Mhz XMP
Video: 2 x Gigabyte GV-N480SO-15I GTX480 SOC
2 x OCZ Vertex 2 50Gb SSD Sata II (In Raid 0) - System
1Tb Western Digital WD1002FAEX Sata III - Data
1Tb Western Digital WD10EAVS Sata II (In xternal USB) - Backup
Bluray Writer: Pioneer BDR-205
Wifi: Asus PCE-N13
Psu: Nesteq XS-1000 1000w PSU Gold
Monitor: Dell U2410
Keyboard: SteelSeries 7G
Mouse: Razer Mamba
Speaker: BlueSky EXO 2.1 System

Thanks!

Congrats for the amazing photos, man. What did you use to make them?

The only major thing that I wish was different about the FT02 is that it was a little wider with more room behind the motherboard tray for routing cables. Its hard to get much back there and still be able to put the side panel on without it trying to bow out.

The only major thing that I wish was different about the FT02 is that it was a little wider with more room behind the motherboard tray for routing cables. Its hard to get much back there and still be able to put the side panel on without it trying to bow out.

Yeah it needs just a few mms more since now connectrs on cables can be problematic.

If there is anyone in the Ann Arbor, MI (University of Michigan) area that wants this case, I have one that I was using but is now empty sitting in my office.

I just want to get rid of it and don't want to ship it.

$50.00 and it's yours.

PM me or reply to thread.

I was wondering: is the FT02 capable of housing EATX cards, like the Maximus IV Extreme?:confused:

Cross-referencing Silverstone's site and ASUS's site, it appears the Maximus IV would just barely fit. While the case is NOT E-ATX certified, it can hold boards 12x11 in size ( http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=FT02&area=usa ) and according to ASUS, the board dimensions are 12x10.6 ( http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_Extreme/#specifications ). There is also this thread that I found on a quick google search that has a guy (2nd post) saying his Rampage III fits in his case ( http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/824441-close-ordering-silverstone-ft02-but-need-2.html )

Cross-referencing Silverstone's site and ASUS's site, it appears the Maximus IV would just barely fit. While the case is NOT E-ATX certified, it can hold boards 12x11 in size ( http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=FT02&area=usa ) and according to ASUS, the board dimensions are 12x10.6 ( http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_Extreme/#specifications ). There is also this thread that I found on a quick google search that has a guy (2nd post) saying his Rampage III fits in his case ( http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/824441-close-ordering-silverstone-ft02-but-need-2.html )

Ok, so there shouldn't be problems.
Thank you. ;)

The Maximus IV fits in the FT02, though it's rather tight :p It was too difficult to fit my supermicro hotswap cage, so I switched to a different case.

yup, i have this problem.

You would probably have more luck with Raven 2 (orginal not Raven 2 evolution) as it has 8 expansion slots

Ok, so there shouldn't be problems.
Thank you. ;)

Though also keep in mind that the motherboard may end up covering some of the slots in the motherboard try for power cord routing which means your case may not look quite as clean as everyone elses that has standard size ATX boards.

Update: Just pulled the side off the case and did some measuring, the length of the board would definately cover those routing holes, so it wouldn't look quite as clean as the other cases you see for sure.

Though also keep in mind that the motherboard may end up covering some of the slots in the motherboard try for power cord routing which means your case may not look quite as clean as everyone elses that has standard size ATX boards.

Update: Just pulled the side off the case and did some measuring, the length of the board would definately cover those routing holes, so it wouldn't look quite as clean as the other cases you see for sure.

Ok, that could be a big problem, being that I wanted to have a perfect airflow, to avoid temperature problems with the 3-way.
Are the holes covered entirely? If not, how much space would remain between the motherboard and the 180mm fans? Also, is there any space between the mobo and the part behind it? If yes, how much?

The FT02 (and RV02) were designed around both EVGA X58 SLI and ASUS Rampage II Extreme (you can see both of these boards mentioned in the FT02 manual) so Maximus IV Extreme and other ROG models will fit without any problems or obstructions.

I also want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that boards sized around 12" x 10.6" such as Maximus IV Extreme are not really E-ATX or Extended ATX. By definition Extended ATX should be 12" x 13" in size. This is the reason why we don't rate FT02 and RV02 as being compatible with Extended ATX motherboards.

For those of you interested, we have an article that goes over motherboard form factors here:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh11_008.php?area=

Last edited:
The FT02 (and RV02) were designed around both EVGA X58 SLI and ASUS Rampage II Extreme (you can see both of these boards mentioned in the FT02 manual) so Maximus IV Extreme and other ROG models will fit without any problems or obstructions.

I also want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that boards sized around 12" x 10.6" such as Maximus IV Extreme are not really E-ATX or Extended ATX. By definition Extended ATX should be 12" x 13" in size. This is the reason why we don't rate FT02 and RV02 as being compatible with Extended ATX motherboards.

For those of you interested, we have an article that goes over motherboard form factors here:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh11_008.php?area=

Thank you for the information and for the link. I'll go with the FT02.
I was wondering, though: AFAYK, does silverstone have plans on releasing a case with the FT02/RV02's layout for HPTX boards?
The SR2 sold pretty well, and I read that other companies have projects for dual cpu boards for Sandy Bridge EX Xeon processors, so I was wondering if we will have also nice cases for air cooling those beasts (and a 4-way of gtx680). :D

I was wondering, though: AFAYK, does silverstone have plans on releasing a case with the FT02/RV02's layout for HPTX boards?
The SR2 sold pretty well, and I read that other companies have projects for dual cpu boards for Sandy Bridge EX Xeon processors, so I was wondering if we will have also nice cases for air cooling those beasts (and a 4-way of gtx680). :D

I don't think we will have a major revision on FT02/RV02's internal structure. To support HPTX boards, the entire structure will not only have to be taller, but also deeper than they are now (RV02 is already one of the deepest cases on the market). You can take a look at the TJ11 as an example, it's already a massive case but still only accommodates XL-ATX. In short, we would need to completely redesign a case around HPTX as opposed to modifying current designs.

I don't think we will have a major revision on FT02/RV02's internal structure. To support HPTX boards, the entire structure will not only have to be taller, but also deeper than they are now (RV02 is already one of the deepest cases on the market). You can take a look at the TJ11 as an example, it's already a massive case but still only accommodates XL-ATX. In short, we would need to completely redesign a case around HPTX as opposed to modifying current designs.

two vertical ODD slot + one vertical slim ODD slot??

Remove HDD cage and fan below HDD cage, install PSU there and route a cable from there behind motherboard up to the top by all the motherboard connectors where a user would then plug in his own PSU cable (kinda like you did with the FT03. Slightly widen the case to allow mechanical HDDs to be mounted behind the motherboard (like the SSD mount currently there) That would free up all that extra space the PSU was using in the rear of the case allowing you to go with a larger motherboard design and just increase the height maybe? Or even just put the PSU in place of the top 2 5.25 drive bays since they are useless for many people because of the depth restriction.

And I suppose it won't be done because the R&D costs wouldn't be covered by the number of sold cases, right? :(
Guess I'll have to look at the 800d again. :(

And I suppose it won't be done because the R&D costs wouldn't be covered by the number of sold cases, right? :(
Guess I'll have to look at the 800d again. :(

Well, there are ways around reducing initial upfront costs by utilizing designs tailored for low volume manufacturing. We are pretty good at this actually, just look at cases like the TJ11, CW03, and some of the earlier Mini-ITX cases released in 2004~2006.

;)

Well, there are ways around reducing initial upfront costs by utilizing designs tailored for low volume manufacturing. We are pretty good at this actually, just look at cases like the TJ11, CW03, and some of the earlier Mini-ITX cases released in 2004~2006.

;)

I love the design of this case- and while I'd like to see a Fortress 2-esque re-styling of the Raven 3, I'd also settle for some USB3 loving for the Fortress 2- even if it's just a replacement part.

Also, I'm confused as to why so many case makers are using the route around USB3 style connectors for their cases, and not providing the option to use the internal headers built into current motherboards at all? I'm finding it very difficult to find a use for these headers, while USB2 header connectors are ubiquous.

I love the design of this case- and while I'd like to see a Fortress 2-esque re-styling of the Raven 3, I'd also settle for some USB3 loving for the Fortress 2- even if it's just a replacement part.

Also, I'm confused as to why so many case makers are using the route around USB3 style connectors for their cases, and not providing the option to use the internal headers built into current motherboards at all? I'm finding it very difficult to find a use for these headers, while USB2 header connectors are ubiquous.

USB3 mobo headers didn't have a finalized spec until 2-3 months or so ago :( It requires more pins than the normal USB2 headers, iirc. Maybe I'm wrong.

;)

So, it is possibile but there are no plans ATM, right? :D

What is happening with stock levels?

In the UK especially the Stock of the FT02 not just the LE version seem to be drying up- what is happening Tony?

What is happening with stock levels?

In the UK especially the Stock of the FT02 not just the LE version seem to be drying up- what is happening Tony?

I asked Tony about the storage of TJ11s and he said this

There was a huge production delay (Chinese New year, labor shortage, component shortage, etc... other products were affected too) after the first shipment back in January so that's why no one has it in stock.

love my case

P1010302.jpg

PC3.jpg

P1010358.jpg

P1010360.jpg

Nice build man- like the red black look- what CPU you have?

(small note this is a Fortress FT02 thread and Im pretty sure that is a raven RV02 plus)

Is it just me or this case is a little bit outdated? I mean, I bought it my self in Jan, but I feel that I should have went with something else. I mean, no USB 3.0 whatsoever, the SSD position isn't really handy. The HDD SATA cables must be very short for the motherboard, otherwise it gets really messy... The build quality is great though.

You're right, it is getting outdated (lack of usb3), but that's where the RV03 comes in...Although SilverStone needs to release a Fortress version of it. It's just a shame they screwed us with the PSU (length) limitation.

I was cleaning the dust filters on AP181s this morning and noticed that the top of the filter frame from the rear fan was covered with an oil film on two of the four sides. The oil wasn't there last time I cleaned the filters, a month or so ago. Seems like the only place where it could have come from is the fan bearing itself, but I'm unable to check that without removing the fan, which requires undoing a lot of zip-ties holding the fan wires in place.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? Is this the beginning of the end for the fan? I bought the case in January, so not even half a year old.

On a brighter note, I waited until Amazon got Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev. B3 in stock this week and called them to set up an exchange. (Didn't want to go through Asus advanced RMA). Instead, they just refunded me the full price and said I can keep the board. Yay for a free mobo. Now I can just wait for Z68 in May or even X79 + SB-E in Q4.

I was cleaning the dust filters on AP181s this morning and noticed that the top of the filter frame from the rear fan was covered with an oil film on two of the four sides. The oil wasn't there last time I cleaned the filters, a month or so ago. Seems like the only place where it could have come from is the fan bearing itself, but I'm unable to check that without removing the fan, which requires undoing a lot of zip-ties holding the fan wires in place.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? Is this the beginning of the end for the fan? I bought the case in January, so not even half a year old.

On a brighter note, I waited until Amazon got Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev. B3 in stock this week and called them to set up an exchange. (Didn't want to go through Asus advanced RMA). Instead, they just refunded me the full price and said I can keep the board. Yay for a free mobo. Now I can just wait for Z68 in May or even X79 + SB-E in Q4.

I was putting in the new Vertex 3 240Gb yesterday and dropped a screw into the front case fan. Pulled out the dust filter, and saw the same oily film I noticed on the rear case fan's filter earlier. Still nobody here with the same issue?

I was putting in the new Vertex 3 240Gb yesterday and dropped a screw into the front case fan. Pulled out the dust filter, and saw the same oily film I noticed on the rear case fan's filter earlier. Still nobody here with the same issue?

Nope, I haven't seen it. Anychance your comp is close to your kitchen???

Back