New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

Can someone who has recently received their order please tell me how long of a wait it was between placing your order and it actually being shipped? I placed my order a week ago and haven't heard anything from Lan-Gear yet, other than a order confirmation.

Can someone who has recently received their order please tell me how long of a wait it was between placing your order and it actually being shipped? I placed my order a week ago and haven't heard anything from Lan-Gear yet, other than a order confirmation.
I ordered my DA 100 on 2/20 and received it on 3/5. Lan-Gear sent an e-mail with UPS tracking number on the day it shipped (3/2).

Oh, man. I really wish I had seen this case before I modded my old QPack Micro ATX cube case. Would've saved me a lot of work.

I managed to fit a Megahalems and Asus Rampage II Gene in there. I imagine it would fit in Da Box 100 no problem.

BTW, what's the difference between the Blackheart and Classic? The website doesn't specify. Only difference I see, is the front panel buttons? *Edit, oh, so the Interior is Black Anodized for Blackheart? Does that mean the Mobo tray is raw aluminum with the Classic?

Also, can you make a Blackheart with No Window and No Fans available as an option?

-Ed

Last edited:
heh, I hear that. Mine is sitting on top of the old case with the cover off. Would love to have it sitting on the desk all buttoned up.

Just placed an order for a Blackheart. Forgot to add in the notes that I'm from [H] forums. Not that would really mean anything other than a thank you reference.

I'm sick and tired of trying to cram my current build into my old QPack case. I've modded it so much, it's falling apart. I planned on getting this case anyways. I really wish that I had bought it a lot earlier, would've made my life so much easier.

I have a quick question regarding the front panel audio connectors. I have mine plugged into the onboard audio connector of my Asus Rampage II Gene board, and because of the missing pin on the connector there is really only one way it can be plugged in. While the front panel connector seems to work, the pink plug is the headphone, which is the opposite of any other setup I've ever encountered. Can someone confirm that with this case the pink is the output jack and the green is the input, or is mine just messed up somehow?

Uh, I'm located in Vancouver, BC, and the cheapest method of shipping is UPS Worldwide Expedited.

The shipping alone is $171. $171! Really? The total with shipping and taxes is double the cost of the case itself! It's like I live in Japan or something.

Daboxprice.png

There is no way this is correct. Canadians, did you really pay this much for shipping? I'd accept a tenth of this cost as reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Mine seems to be wired like yours with the pink as the output and the green as the input.
However my output does not work at all (haven't tried the input yet). Both USB work fine but the audio out is not working.
Outside of turning on AC97 (instead of HD Audio) did you have to change anything else in the BIOS?

Uh, I'm located in Vancouver, BC, and the cheapest method of shipping is UPS Worldwide Expedited.

The shipping alone is $171. $171! Really? The total with shipping and taxes is double the cost of the case itself! It's like I live in Japan or something.

Daboxprice.png

There is no way this is correct. Canadians, did you really pay this much for shipping? I'd accept a tenth of this cost as reasonably priced.

Lol...
Same price @ the Bayview/Lawrence/York Mills area...

Hmm, well wrong or not, it still looks like it's going to charge me $171 for shipping. I'm at the "review order" page and it's primed to charge $351 to my PayPal.

:edit: I sent them an e-mail to place a custom order through PayPal.

Last edited:
Where/when can we get more info on the release of the Mini ITX cases? I'm waiting on their release before I build a mini-itx system.

I am hoping someone here can refresh my memory. What's the longest PSU that will fit with the 92mm front fan installed? 6.5" or 6.3"?

Hi Everybody,

Just to give some updates:

#1 The international shipping orders are custom. So please, just send us an email. The quote given on the website are a bit high (about X5;)). Make sure that, if you are in EU, you contact the right people. All orders there will leave from Paris.
#2 The Mini ITX (gamers version): pictures coming out next week! (The late winter storm I promised last December!:p).
#3 The longest PSU: 6.3" with a 92mm front fan, 6.5" with a 80mm front fan.

PS: please, do not order items that are advertised as out of stock. Because they truly are. We are going to do our best to re-stock as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I am hoping someone here can refresh my memory. What's the longest PSU that will fit with the 92mm front fan installed? 6.5" or 6.3"?
FengPangzi

I installed Silverstone SST-ST85F-P and it was as tight as can be. They must have designed it that way because there is less than 1mm between the 2. Installing the fan with the rubber screws is challenging to say the least :) Hint: don't screw the psu in until you have put the inaccessible screws in. Angle the psu to access the screws. Then when they are tight, pull the fan opposite of the psu to get the clearance necessary for the psu to rotate back flushed to the front panel. Not easy but doable.

Matt,

Did you intent to have the green external audio jack to be the input and the pink the output? This is reversed from anything I have seen. Are you planning on fixing this?

Jacques

FengPangzi

I installed Silverstone SST-ST85F-P and it was as tight as can be. They must have designed it that way because there is less than 1mm between the 2. Installing the fan with the rubber screws is challenging to say the least :) Hint: don't screw the psu in until you have put the inaccessible screws in. Angle the psu to access the screws. Then when they are tight, pull the fan opposite of the psu to get the clearance necessary for the psu to rotate back flushed to the front panel. Not easy but doable.

To put the PSU in place easily, put it first before everything else. Remove the hard drive cage, the motherboard tray, etc... It should then slide sideway into place as long as it's not more than 160mm long (if you have installed a 92mm front fan - which you can install after the PSu is installed). If some PSU screws are hard to install, because of how it is mounted, you don't have to mount all 4 screws. I have mine safely installed with 3 of the 4.

1. Button for the optical drive is really subpar with the rest of the case. After only 1 week of shuttling the dabox in a carryon luggage, the button slid to the bottom of the opening and is about to fall. It also looks bad (since I don't have the blackheart, the metal piece it is glued to is bright silver and reflect light). I would gladly pay a few more bucks to have a nice button.
  2. The case really need feet. The is only 1-2mm of height with the embossed feet and it isn't enough. I understand that it is a DIY case but IMHO I should not have to buy feet for it to increase the airflow to my psu and front 92mm fan. Out of the box it is out of the question to put it on carpet.
  3. With a decent psu, heatsinc, fans and HDs the case is HEAVY (coming from a shuttle xpc that it is). Have you researched cases that roll like a carry-on luggage? There are plenty of bags now that do that. I am carrying mine with a traditional carry-on luggage with a telescopic handle and wheels and it really works!
  4. Please fix the pictures of the Classic on lan-gear.com because if I had known that it has an unpainted silver back I would have most likely gone to the Blackheart.
  5. Did you consider providing a Classic with no fan option?

Otherwise the case is great! I have yet to stretch its oc legs but it is really nice and everything I had hoped for.

Jacques

Matt,

Did you intent to have the green external audio jack to be the input and the pink the output? This is reversed from anything I have seen. Are you planning on fixing this?

Jacques

Hi Jacques,
No, this was not the intent. We have not find an easy solution yet. I guess the crew that welded them was color blind;). The only solution we found so far is to change manufacturer for the USB/Audio module. We are in the process of making new customs ones, so it will all be taken care of.

1. With a decent psu, heatsinc, fans and HDs the case is HEAVY (coming from a shuttle xpc that it is). Have you researched cases that roll like a carry-on luggage? There are plenty of bags now that do that. I am carrying mine with a traditional carry-on luggage with a telescopic handle and wheels and it really works!
  2. Please fix the pictures of the Classic on lan-gear.com because if I had known that it has an unpainted silver back I would have most likely gone to the Blackheart.
  3. Did you consider providing a Classic with no fan option?

Otherwise the case is great! I have yet to stretch its oc legs but it is really nice and everything I had hoped for.

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

Unfortunately, when we first launch the case, the feet options we were offered were too expensive and not satisfying. We are looking at making some custom feets later on that will be glued where you have the emboss now. A cheap solution to that is to get a felt (the type you put under your furniture) - available at Walmart for $0.10/piece.

Yes, a GOOD PSU will make the case heavy, no doubt. It's fairly light to start with but when you put all high end gears, it gets heavier than a Shuttle. Of course, you can't put a Crossfire setup in your shuttle, a 850W PSU and/or a Prolimatech Megahalem. DA BOX is the most compact replacement you can find for a standard high end ATX set up if that makes sense (at least, that was the objective). It's portable, especially with the bag (coming soon). Mine is just a bit heavier than my big heavy laptop (10 lbs).

All the pictures on the website will be updated this coming week end. We are working on it .

The No Fans Da Box was a special version available only for people who pre ordered Da Box last December. We are eliminating these versions as they get out of stock. So no, Da Box will not come without fan anymore (Blackheart or Classic). The problem is that making lots of SKU's because more problematic and not cost effective.

I second what Matt is saying IF you use the metallic fan screws that can be screwed from the outside of the box. However if you want to use the rubber screws and screw them from outside in (did not try the other way but I believe you would not be able to use the dust screen then), you need access to each fan corners to pull the screw in. With such tight fit between the PSU and the fan, you do not have easy access to the screw that is far from the front and next to the PSU. Obviously if you are not anal about vibrations like me you won't have that problem :D

I second what Matt is saying IF you use the metallic fan screws that can be screwed from the outside of the box. However if you want to use the rubber screws and screw them from outside in (did not try the other way but I believe you would not be able to use the dust screen then), you need access to each fan corners to pull the screw in. With such tight fit between the PSU and the fan, you do not have easy access to the screw that is far from the front and next to the PSU. Obviously if you are not anal about vibrations like me you won't have that problem :D

Any suggestion before we start the next production to reduce potential vibrations? Anything that you think would help and be easy to install?

The 5.25" front bezel is an option that can be purchases separately. It's an accessory and doesn't come standard right now. If all of you guys think it should come standard later on, we'll just order them this way on the next run.

What do you guys think? I say it should be standard.

#2 The Mini ITX (gamers version): pictures coming out next week! (The late winter storm I promised last December!:p).

Thanks Matt! Any info on how many different ITX cases you'll have? Will they all share the same specifications that are listed on the site?

Thanks Matt! Any info on how many different ITX cases you'll have? Will they all share the same specifications that are listed on the site?

If everything goes as planned, there will be two mini ITX. We'll first release the "gamer" one.
The next one is in the work. No specs release until we are done with the drawings. But it is for a different market: ultra compact.

Last edited:
I have one questions regarding the angled fan over the GPU, I have some powerful fans that I will be putting in the case. My GPUs will be here this week (2x 5870s). The 92mm fan I have dose 54.0 CFM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150456&cm_re=5870-_-14-150-456-_-Product

What do you guys recommend for this fan, blowing out or in with this setup.

For a crossfire set up, to allow for potential overclocking, install a 120mm fan blowing on the GPUs. You have quite a few choices. If you don't mind the noise level, there is a Scythe with 100+CFM. Of course, a quiet 50+ CFM would work just fine.

If everything goes as planned, there will be two mini ITX. We'll first release the "gamer" one.
The next one is in the work. No specs release until we are done with the drawings. But it is for a different market: ultra compact.

So I imagine the difference will be that the gamer case can fit a large video card? Are the specs on your site the ones for the gamer case? if so, it sounds PERFECT.

So I imagine the difference will be that the gamer case can fit a large video card? Are the specs on your site the ones for the gamer case? if so, it sounds PERFECT.

Yes, the specifications on the website are the one for the gamers version.
I will open a new thread dedicated to this Mini ITX case next week when the first pictures come out. And we can all discuss it and see if we see any potential and realistic (understand doable;)) improvements.

Can't wait for the pics, just out of curiosity. Need something nice to recover from the brain damage caused by seeing the utterly ugly SG07 ;)

For a crossfire set up, to allow for potential overclocking, install a 120mm fan blowing on the GPUs. You have quite a few choices. If you don't mind the noise level, there is a Scythe with 100+CFM. Of course, a quiet 50+ CFM would work just fine.

I believe I have that 120mm Scythe 100+CFM you mention. I don't mind the noise. I thought that angled fan area was for a 92mm, but if not I'll defiantly throw a 120 there.

Thanks

i look forward to seeing the ultra compact will it still allow video card if so what length? what type of cooling will be possible ? amount of hard drives ?

Jen

Yes, the specifications on the website are the one for the gamers version.
I will open a new thread dedicated to this Mini ITX case next week when the first pictures come out. And we can all discuss it and see if we see any potential and realistic (understand doable;)) improvements.

I will be closing my subscription to this thread and focus on that one! :)

Back