New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

Yeah, the SilverStone's will hold up 11in cards like the 5870. The Qv2E will fit it though. Any word on what is the biggest PSU that can fit and still have the long cards?
The maximum PSU lenght with 2 x 340mm video card is 6.7". I haven't checked, but you can fit most ATX power supply.
You can fit any PSU with 2 x 263mm (or less) video card.
You should be able to fit it in the Siverstone SG01/SG02 except for the SG01-SW (all aluminum one). The HDD cage is in the way I believe (to be checked).

10" x 10" motherboard
X7DCA-L_spec.jpg

You can possibly put it in (it fits on the tray) but, without doing the physical test, I would assume you'll have to cut a small piece on the side of the tray that might be in the way. It depends how it sits, so it's hard to say.

10" x 10" motherboard
X7DCA-L_spec.jpg

You can possibly put it in (it fits on the tray) but, without doing the physical test, I would assume you'll have to cut a small piece on the side of the tray that might be in the way. It depends how it sits, so it's hard to say.

Could you give me the dimension of the tray?

The maximum PSU lenght with 2 x 340mm video card is 6.7". I haven't checked, but you can fit most ATX power supply.
You can fit any PSU with 2 x 263mm (or less) video card.
You should be able to fit it in the Siverstone SG01/SG02 except for the SG01-SW (all aluminum one). The HDD cage is in the way I believe (to be checked).
Is the 6.7" inclusive of the bend in the cables needed?

Is the 6.7" inclusive of the bend in the cables needed?
I would think you don't have to bend the cables but man, with a 6.7" PSU and a 340mm video card, the cable management is not going to be fun. With the bend in the cables (modular PSU, small cables), I would place a limit at 6.5", depending on how well you can bend your cables.
Of course, and I don't promise anything, we might gain another 0.1" before production starts.
But this is a Micro ATX case, and we didn't plan for 6.4-7.0" PSU ranging from 900W to 1200W or more.:p More like 500-900W (80+ PSU). Which is generally enough for a crossfire. Although it might take most of the 900W for a crossfire of 5970.
The overall width of the MB tray is 10.079".
And we are going to hit the $159 mark, with very little margins.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm a 'single gpu card' type of guy. A lot less hassles in pc life. :D

I would think you don't have to bend the cables but man, with a 6.7" PSU and a 340mm video card, the cable management is not going to be fun. With the bend in the cables (modular PSU, small cables), I would place a limit at 6.5", depending on how well you can bend your cables.
Of course, and I don't promise anything, we might gain another 0.1" before production starts.
But this is a Micro ATX case, and we didn't plan for 6.4-7.0" PSU ranging from 900W to 1200W or more.:p More like 500-900W (80+ PSU). Which is generally enough for a crossfire. Although it might take most of the 900W for a crossfire of 5970.
The overall width of the MB tray is 10.079".
And we are going to hit the $159 mark, with very little margins.
Yeah, the 160mm PSUs should do ok then.

Yeah, the 160mm PSUs should do ok then.
DA BOX is designd to fit the 6.3" (160mm) long PSU with any video cards (up to 345mm long). 6.3" covers most PSU out there under 1000W. As I said, we'll optimize the case just before we start production, and maybe gain a 1/10".I'm not sure what impact that will have on compatibility, altought there might be some PSU out there 6.4" long. As stated previously, you can go all the way with a 6.5" PSU but you'll have to change the front fan from a 92mm to a 80mm (or remove it). And finally, in theory, the PSU area is 6.8" long (before touching the GPU PCB). The longest PSU I have on hand is about 6.9" long (would have to check again) and sitting unused because of its volume and weight. I like my 6.3" corsair much better:p.

Hi everybody,

I wanted to post this interesting benchmark done using Crysis. We stressed the GPU in the table below (the stress test for the CPU only increases the CPU temperature 1-2C, so not very interesting). We wanted to compare how DA BOX performed, entirely open (bare bones with fans at full speed) and closed (with fans at full speed). HDD fan OFF. Front 92mm fan ON. We also placed the 120mm fan over the graphic card in aspiration.
We also tried to measure the temperature in different parts of the case to monitor potential heat pockets (4 zones).
benchmark 1.jpg

The benchmarks with Stalker
Silent :
Fan CPU : 1000 RPM
Fan 120mm GPU : 1000 RPM
Fan 120mm back : 700 RPM
Fan 90mm HDD : 600 RPM
Fan 80mm Front : 1100 RPM

Standard :
Fan CPU : 1300 RPM
Fan 120mm GPU : 1100 RPM
Fan 120mm back : 800 RPM
Fan 90mm HDD : 700 RPM
Fan 80mm front : 1100 RPM

Turbo :
Fan CPU : 1700 RPM
Fan 120mm GPU : 1400 RPM
Fan 120mm back : 1300 RPM
Fan 90mm HDD : 1200 RPM
Fan 80mm front : 1100 RPM

benchmark 2.jpg

PS: this is on the prototype, not final production sample. In the final design, you can fit 1 x 140mm + 2 x 120mm + 2 x 92mm. We haven't run the benchmarks on this setup yet.

Last edited:
What's the easiest way to remove the front logo; I like my systems to look clean.

Anonymo,
I'd have to ask about the front logo. We are using some pretty good quality process all around, so I'm not sure how easy it is to remove it. But maybe we can manage to get you a front panel without logo.

Anonymo,
I'd have to ask about the front logo. We are using some pretty good quality process all around, so I'm not sure how easy it is to remove it. But maybe we can manage to get you a front panel without logo.

Thanks for checking it out.
I definitely can't wait for this to be out

Some amazing work here, ive been following for awhile now, did anything ever come out of the yellow interior limited edition idea? Personal preference would be orange but beggars cant be choosers :p and id take any version, do you have a uk distributor i could pre order from or even plans to ship to the uk?
Thanks in advance.

We need the mini-itx case to come out :)
Also interested in this, is the layouts and plans done for the mini mobile case?
Also anyone know when the itx boards for the 1156 socket come out? I wanna upgrade really bad, but want an itx case the most.

And Steeeeve, hows the sffstore and sffclub coming?!
Going pretty good. Takes lot more work than people realize sometimes. I'm working on the forums and database stuff right now. I'm thinking to launch everything January 1 but not promises...at least have news up and running for the CES stuff.

I was supposed to go to CES this year but no funds to do it! Anyone going and can do some SFF recon for me?

As for the mini-itx. I've looked at every possible scenario and I don't know how you much the SG05 and SG06 in size with getting a full length PSU in there. The only way would be to do something like what Da Box does and put the PSU up front. This would kill airflow though but would get you 12-13L case. You could have cooling with about a 13.5-14L case but putting the PSU on the side. This is using a slim DVD which is unlikely anyway. So a tough job I'd say.

Sick man! Cant wait! Gotta say you were the easiest and best reseller online I have dealed with. Cant wait to continue.

Thanks!

The plan is to make it even easier. I don't want to have a lot of product and motherboard were too much of a pain last time...I might do a few motherboards depending on whats out there. I mainly want the contacts. After Abit left I got no one in the mobo industry.

You can always sent Tony Ou a PM to let him know you support SFFClub and SFFStore. It makes me look good and lets him know people actually want to see SFF move further along!

can you believe only a few years ago mATX was the SFF rage! Mini-itx is the new SFF as they say.

"I've looked at every possible scenario and I don't know how you much the SG05 and SG06 in size with getting a full length PSU in there"
You'll see, I promise that you will love the new layout for the mini ITX case we designed.
For fans, right now, we were able to fit comfortably 2 x 120mm and 2 x 80mm. A full ATX PSU. And the 5870 that goes with it ;-). As far as size go, we are pretty close to the SG05 (we are slightly less in volume but it can always change after the production modification). It is a very cool case that will definitively have a LOT of people raving about. I'm putting a lot of effort to have a very polished design. The objective would be to have a extremely functional case with beautifully lines to go with it. After all, I'm sure you want your MOM to look her best.:D
I can't wait for the SFF store to be open again!

Last edited:
"I've looked at every possible scenario and I don't know how you much the SG05 and SG06 in size with getting a full length PSU in there"
You'll see, I promise that you will love the new layout for the mini ITX case we designed.
For fans, right now, we were able to fit comfortably 2 x 120mm and 2 x 80mm. A full ATX PSU. And the 5870 that goes with it ;-). As far as size go, we are pretty close to the SG05 (we are slightly less in volume but it can always change after the production modification). It is a very cool case that will definitively have a LOT of people raving about. I'm putting a lot of effort to have a very polished design. The objective would be to have a extremely functional case with beautifully lines to go with it. After all, I'm sure you want your MOM to look her best.:D
I can't wait for the SFF store to be open again!
You should send me a confidential picture or drawing ;) I'd love to see it fit together because 11L is hard to match. I suppose you could with a slim DVD drive..just have a long case with short height and narrow with the video card pressed up against the side using a vent. But I dunno :)

It's nice to see that attention to detail in this case. SFF is definitely the future, and I'm happy to have been playing with small rigs for the past several years. This box will be no different. I'm looking forward to hacking one up... :D

Ha! I guess it was matter of time before you see this and have plan for this! :D I'll be looking for your build Craig.

Mattinv,

If you want someone to build a PC and get your case noticed, Craig is your man! :D
I vote you to give Craig a free case and show everybody every possibility of this case!!!

It's nice to see that attention to detail in this case. SFF is definitely the future, and I'm happy to have been playing with small rigs for the past several years. This box will be no different. I'm looking forward to hacking one up... :D

Last edited:
Ha! I guess it was matter of time before you see this and have plan for this! :D I'll be looking for your build Craig.

Mattinv,

If you want someone to build a PC and get your case noticed, Craig is your man! :D
I vote you to give Craig a free case and show everybody every possibility of this case!!!

Hey, thanks for the compliment! I'm always planning man! :D

How do we pre-order?
I have a GeminII, will it fit?

Hi Anonymo,
Pre-orders will be taken soon.
A GeminII will fit if you remove the HDD cage and use 2 x 2.5" drives . A GeminII S will fit with the HDD cage.

mattinv...

Looking forward to seeing a mock up of this mITX case too. I've decided to wait on it, even if I have to do a temporary cardboard box build...I've searched high and low for a decent case that will fit even a 5770...no luck.

Although, I probably should add..."at least a case that I would buy". I know there are a couple out there that would fit the bill, but the aesthetics and workmanship aren't down my alley.

Steeeeve, dropped by the SFFClub and your site...added it to my favorites.

Best,

Liquid Cool

mattinv...

Looking forward to seeing a mock up of this mITX case too. I've decided to wait on it, even if I have to do a temporary cardboard box build...I've searched high and low for a decent case that will fit even a 5770...no luck.

Although, I probably should add..."at least a case that I would buy". I know there are a couple out there that would fit the bill, but the aesthetics and workmanship aren't down my alley.

Steeeeve, dropped by the SFFClub and your site...added it to my favorites.

Best,

Liquid Cool
Thanks liquid cool, I really appreciate your trust in my work. I'm confident you won't be disappointed. Now, I will just focus on getting it prototyped as fast as possible so that everybody that's waiting on it can make their decision.
I'm just waiting for DA BOX to be up and selling, and the Mini ITX will be right behind it.

You pretty much have to have 2 slot coolers...makes it around a 220mm minimum width.

On the ITX case, have you allowed for 2 slot coolers on GPU's?
Yes, it is design for a 2 slots GPU. it wouldn't make sense not to be able to fit a 5870 if you can fit a ATX PSU and tall CPU heatsink, would it?:D

Back