New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

as to the atx vs matx, im a little curious why its even being brought up. this is the small form factor forum, for computers that are small in (you guessed it!) form factor! plenty of great mid towers out there that arent a whole lot bigger than some of the SFF cases, but if size is your issue, i think matx has reached the point where there is little to no difference between them and their larger cousins except expansion slots.
There are zero cube based ATX cases - that's the problem. Most current mATX cases technically have the physical dimensions capable of housing an ATX board. Main argument for ATX in a cube is flexibility, aesthetics (everyone has a tower) and portability. I will agree with you that at least for intel, the past two generations of boards have caught up with ATX, although mATX owners had to wait longer for the boards, just like always.

Anyway, mattinv already made his position clear on ATX for his case, so I wouldn't badger him about it.

Hi bbs, and all of you guys that want something less plain.
What would you really like? What is the design that you see on another case that you'd die for? I'm curious and as mentioned, I'm looking at having different options for the front and I'd like to get your opinion on what's trendy or good looking for you.
After all, as I said before, this is a case for the enthusiast community, build and design for you. So it's up to you to let me know what you'd like and I'll do my best to make it happen!:p

Mabye something similar to Shuttle SFF cases. Some lines, trim, etc... Not too overkill with huge logos, lights/LEDs and such. The pic you posted of the fan controller is pretty cool, maybe a little too much for me, but better than the plain bezel. I really like how you offer different options and I can't wait to see the pics. This case is still #1 on my list for my next build, even with the plain bezel. ;)

I vote for Lan-Gear making EATX, ATX, mATX, and mini-ITX cases. If their thought process for the design of each is as thoughtful as Da Box, they'd very quickly gain a crapload of market share. I know that if I had the option to get a small case to hold ATX or EATX (think dual socket workstation rig in portable case) I'd be all over that like stink on shit.

I did a rough sketch-up of what I would like for the front:
Untitled-15.png

Basically, I would like vents and symmetry please. :)

Since the power supply is placed in a different position than in other MATX cube cases, would it work with power supplies where the intake fan is not on the top or bottom side of the PSU but rather the opposite direction of the outtake fan?

So, I'm not talking about the sort of PSU below...
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/17-152-036-S05?$S640W$

But like this one?
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/17-148-028-S08?$S640W$

In this case, I could place the PSU either on the top or bottom or on its side correct? Ideally, I'd want its intake fan to face the front of the case to intake the most fresh, cool air right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for Lan-Gear making EATX, ATX, mATX, and mini-ITX cases. If their thought process for the design of each is as thoughtful as Da Box, they'd very quickly gain a crapload of market share. I know that if I had the option to get a small case to hold ATX or EATX (think dual socket workstation rig in portable case) I'd be all over that like stink on shit.

Maybe EATX is worth it. But I would stay well clear of ATX cases if I were Lan-Gear. There are hundreds and hundreds of cases, each catering to different tastes and configs, etc... At least with mATX and mini-ITX, there is a strong focus and common objective (as in 'build SFF') where a project like this can succeed. Of course there are different tastes out there, but nothing is really out of reach.

nerdydesi, actually, unless i read your post wrong, you will want the first kind of PSU. this case is designed to have the intake fan for the PSU (large fan on the "botttom") placed against the front of the case so that it can draw cool air in. the face plate design as it stands stands off from the front of the structure of the case so it can draw air in from the top and bottom. it might "work" with the other style of psu you mentioned, but it would be drawing hot air in and you will have a higher noise from smaller fans. plus, you would be giving up all the advantages of having the PSU mounted where it is...

as for the face of the qv2, i think its pretty clear that there are different strokes for different folks. i for one really like the design zurginator came up with, though id still prefer the buttons off to one side and the mesh not extend up so high (to make room for that badass fan controller).

does anyone have links to those full atx cube cases? ive never seen one of those, or until now, even heard of one.

Last edited:
Maybe EATX is worth it. But I would stay well clear of ATX cases if I were Lan-Gear. There are hundreds and hundreds of cases, each catering to different tastes and configs, etc... At least with mATX and mini-ITX, there is a strong focus and common objective (as in 'build SFF') where a project like this can succeed. Of course there are different tastes out there, but nothing is really out of reach.

agreed, until lan-gear has made a name for itself making SFF cases (a niche i think they will be pretty successful in) they should shy away from entering the more crowded markets. in my mind, the only real competition they have right now is from pcdlabs with the qv2 (also, not a bad case with similar origins), but this case is still very unique in terms of size and capacity. though, i still would love to see what matt can dream up, i am very impressed with the design aspects of his work so far.

nerdydesi, actually, unless i read your post wrong, you will want the first kind of PSU. this case is designed to have the intake fan for the PSU (large fan on the "botttom") placed against the front of the case so that it can draw cool air in. the face plate design as it stands stands off from the front of the structure of the case so it can draw air in from the top and bottom.

No, you understood completely and thanks for your answer. Actually, I have the exact PSU in the latter picture and thus was concerned it would conflict with the different positioning of the PSU in this case. Would I really be in trouble placing my PSU with its intake fan on the opposite side of the out-take rather than top/bottom in this case?

Call me shallow, but I've been spoiled by the lights on my PSU and would like my next PSU to be the same, which would have the fan on the top/bottom like most PSUs. I'm worried that with the intake fan facing the opaque front of this case, I could not see the lighted fan as a result.

No, you understood completely and thanks for your answer. Actually, I have the exact PSU in the latter picture and thus was concerned it would conflict with the different positioning of the PSU in this case. Would I really be in trouble placing my PSU with its intake fan on the opposite side of the out-take rather than top/bottom in this case?

Call me shallow, but I've been spoiled by the lights on my PSU and would like my next PSU to be the same, which would have the fan on the top/bottom like most PSUs. I'm worried that with the intake fan facing the opaque front of this case, I could not see the lighted fan as a result.

well assuming it fits in terms of dimensions (it should), yes you could mount it just fine. however, like i said, it would totally defeat the purpose of the case's design.

you would be drawing intake air in from the inside of the case, and since it would be coming from the front, it likely wouldnt be all that bad, but it could increase both the temperature of your PSU (air inside a sealed case is certainly going to be warmer than ambient room temperature).

it would also perhaps even detract from the cooling of the case in general, since it would be pulling cooler air in from the front of the case that might have otherwise been drawn to the rear where all the hot parts are.

in regards to your lights, haha, well, yes, with the current set up, no you wouldnt see lights on your PSU fan too clearly, but you could put lighted fans in for all the rest and the end result should be quite a few pretty colors and bright lights. i suppose of you tried hard enough you could make this thing look like the ship from close encounters of the third kind, just never been my thing, heh. ;)

Since the power supply is placed in a different position than in other MATX cube cases, would it work with power supplies where the intake fan is not on the top or bottom side of the PSU but rather the opposite direction of the outtake fan?

So, I'm not talking about the sort of PSU below...
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/17-152-036-S05?$S640W$

But like this one?
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/17-148-028-S08?$S640W$

In this case, I could place the PSU either on the top or bottom or on its side correct? Ideally, I'd want its intake fan to face the front of the case to intake the most fresh, cool air right?

Yes, you can use either ones. You don't necessarily have to have an intake on the top. It can be on the back. Since DA BOX has a fan intake on the front, the PSU will draw fairly cool air anyway. The only thing you have to worry about is the length of the PSU. Over 6.5" you might run into difficulties.

Last edited by a moderator:
pictures? come on man, you're one crappy drug dealer, i havent had a picture fix in like, 3 days! jeez man. :-D

what in god's name is that backplate for? that thing is HUGE. also, I assume those of us with pre-orders in should start expecting emails requesting payment, and confirming orders within the next week or two, right? anyway to know what position we are, in line? are the first run of these cases going to get any special treatment? engraved serial #s, limited edition numbering, anything like that? just curious.

Last edited:
It's the backplate of the Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000. Like the heatsink, it is huge!:p
We are looking at implementing a serial number. Working on it right now. Not as easy as it seems if you want it engraved in the metal.
We are working hard to get ALL the pre orders ready by the 18th. So you will receive emails starting Monday 14th.
Lots of work ahead. Going back to it!;)

Last edited:
I had emailed a question to your site mattinv asking since the cases are shipping on the 18th, will I receive mine before the 27th? Will this still hold up or will you not be able to make it?

If I choose the fastest shipping option, when is the earliest I can receive it in the U.S?

SHIPPING IN THE US.
For all the shipping done in the US, you have all the options available with UPS and FEDEX.
We will try to have all the shipments leave the 18th. Which means that we have 4 business days before Christmas for the ones of you who would like to have it by then.

The options with UPS:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/index.html?WT.svl=SubNav
map_0345_UPS.gif

The options with Fedex:
http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en

I would expect that most package will be delivered before Christmas although this period is a nightmare when it comes to shipping...:(

SHIPPING IN EU
Rates are disclosed here: http://www.lan-gear.com/fr/orders.php

SHIPPING "WORLD" (USA and EU excluded)
You have your choice of UPS, FEDEX, DHL or USPS. USPS can have some pretty decent rates.

Last edited:
"TTC" means tax included on the French & EU shipping rates?

"TTC" means tax included on the French & EU shipping rates?
Hi lanM.
Yes, TTC means all taxes included.
Recap of all prices.

For the entire Europe area (Euros zone)
Classic: 125 euros (all taxes included)
All black no fan: 145 euros (all taxes included)
All black no window: 150 euros (all taxes included)
All black complete: 150 euros (all taxes included)

For the USA.
Classic: $160 (all taxes included)
All black no fan: $170 (all taxes included)
All black no window: $180 (all taxes included)
All black complete: $180 (all taxes included)

For the rest of the world.
Classic: $160 (duty not included if applicable)
All black no fan: $170 (duty not included if applicable)
All black no window: $180 (duty not included if applicable)
All black complete: $180 (duty not included if applicable)

Shipping detailed below.

I pasted back this last page for people interested in the shipping.

SHIPPING IN THE US.
For all the shipping done in the US, you have all the options available with UPS and FEDEX.
We will try to have all the shipments leave the 18th. Which means that we have 4 business days before Christmas for the ones of you who would like to have it by then.

The options with UPS:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/index.html?WT.svl=SubNav
map_0345_UPS.gif

The options with Fedex:
http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en

I would expect that most package will be delivered before Christmas although this period is a nightmare when it comes to shipping...:(

SHIPPING IN EU
Rates are disclosed here: http://www.lan-gear.com/fr/orders.php

SHIPPING "WORLD" (USA and EU excluded)
You have your choice of UPS, FEDEX, DHL or USPS. USPS can have some pretty decent rates.

For shipping rate, you can get an idea by using the following information (USA and world only):
Ship from: Brooklyn Park, MN 55445 USA

For Europe, shipments will leave from Paris, France.

Last edited:
I was wondering how this case was the same size or even smaller than most of the competition but then could easily hold today's enthusiast video cards, coolers, etc. The reason is that this case only has one external 5.25 bay and no external 3.5 bays. Although you stated mattinv, that you will later offer a built in fan controller and card reader for the case to rectify that.

And most of us probably don't mind trading off external bays to fit a much higher CPU cooler than the competition. You could always use an external card reader, DVD drive, etc.

I am hoping that if these ship out on Friday the 18th, I can get mine on Monday or Tuesday, no matter what the shipping cost.

I was wondering how this case was the same size or even smaller than most of the competition but then could easily hold today's enthusiast video cards, coolers, etc. The reason is that this case only has one external 5.25 bay and no external 3.5 bays. Although you stated mattinv, that you will later offer a built in fan controller and card reader for the case to rectify that.

And most of us probably don't mind trading off external bays to fit a much higher CPU cooler than the competition. You could always use an external card reader, DVD drive, etc.

I am hoping that if these ship out on Friday the 18th, I can get mine on Monday or Tuesday, no matter what the shipping cost.

I think with SSDs and high capacity 2.5" drives (500gb, 7200RPM ones), there is no more problems with super high performance in a small package. The 5.25" drive will be taken up by an Optical, but I think the future fan controller solves the problem of card readers and front end USB ports etc.

I think the design is great in that it takes away items that are easily compensated for with their smaller versions.

Any chance of a 'Carbon Fiber Edition' Version of this? ;)
We actually have two company in the vicinity that make carbon fiber products (army related generally). Do you have a cap on your budget? Because everything is possible...:D

We actually have two company in the vicinity that make carbon fiber products (army related generally). Do you have a cap on your budget? Because everything is possible...:D

O_O

I was mostly joking.... but if I could get some price and weight reduction estimates, I might actually consider it.

Most likely option is the top/sides panel Carbon Fiber along with the front, but depending on how much the frame costs (I'm guessing it would be a lot)....

Basically, how much weight would be lost going to Carbon Fiber (if any), and how much would it cost for just the top/sides/front as such.

Edit: Actually, I'm getting a Zune HD, and I think that would be a better candidate for Carbon Fiber..... (Yeah, I got some deep pockets right now lol)

Hi guys,
The problem is that the weight of the case becomes insignificant compared to the weight of the PSU + heatsink + graphic cards + drives. Because I assume that if you are willing to pay a premium for the case, you will also build the inside with high quality components -> heavy PSU, heatsinks, etc...
So if you save 4 lbs by going to carbon fiber (totally random estimate), you might very well not feel much difference after the case is loaded.
But I will investigate and let you know.:p

This'll be my first time building inside a uATX case.

I'm planning on using 3 x 2GB Corsair modules with those DHX heat spreaders, an Asus Gene 2 mobo and the Noctua NH-U12P heatsink for a 1366 setup.

Anybody be able to tell me if this case will fit that heatsink (+2 fans) and still have clearance on those heatspreaders? I imagine things will be pretty tight.

Hi guys,
The problem is that the weight of the case becomes insignificant compared to the weight of the PSU + heatsink + graphic cards + drives. Because I assume that if you are willing to pay a premium for the case, you will also build the inside with high quality components -> heavy PSU, heatsinks, etc...
So if you save 4 lbs by going to carbon fiber (totally random estimate), you might very well not feel much difference after the case is loaded.
But I will investigate and let you know.:p

Sweet, but really, CF is about saying "my case is CF and yours isn't." Anyways, yeah, look into it. If it's not completely unreasonable.... I might splurge. xD

Zune HD re-case is almost guaranteed that I want though.

Anyways, I might have noticed a flaw (hope not). From the pics of the 5970 in DA BOX, if there was another behind it, it looks like the power cables wouldn't fit due to the DVD drive. Can this be checked?

I'd be happy if I could just get the regular case by itself to my door right now! :p
I'll pay extra to get it early! I want it so bad, I'm afraid of breaking down and buying an inferior MATX cube case! ;)

I guess I am impatient because I am leaving for an overseas vacation on the 27th and my college semester just ended. I wanted some time to transfer my build to a MATX cube case and then transfer my brother's build into my "old" case and other things before leaving on vacation. The reason I want one is to take up less room on my desk, make it easier to take to the living room to hook up to my hardly used HDTV and to my friends house for gaming. When I come back from vacation in mid-January, I will be quite busy in my job search due to me having one more course before graduation.

That's why I'd like to get a MATX cube case ASAP.

Last edited:
This'll be my first time building inside a uATX case.

I'm planning on using 3 x 2GB Corsair modules with those DHX heat spreaders, an Asus Gene 2 mobo and the Noctua NH-U12P heatsink for a 1366 setup.

Anybody be able to tell me if this case will fit that heatsink (+2 fans) and still have clearance on those heatspreaders? I imagine things will be pretty tight.

Unless you've already bought those mem sticks, pick low profile ones. There is no point in paying a premium for elaborate heat spreader designs with DDR3. DDR3 for Intel Nehalem processors is limited to 1.65V and heat is very rarely an issue. Then you don't have clearance issues.

maybe its somewhere burried in thsi thread.

but any news on a mITX? and specs possibly?

Thanks!

cliff, believe me, you're not the first to ask that :-D

a ITX case is in the works, but matt has stated that he wants to get this current case finished, shipped, and perfected before he starts the next patient, so some hand sitting might be in order :)

Unless you've already bought those mem sticks, pick low profile ones. There is no point in paying a premium for elaborate heat spreader designs with DDR3. DDR3 for Intel Nehalem processors is limited to 1.65V and heat is very rarely an issue. Then you don't have clearance issues.

Haven't purchased yet, got no issue with lower profile sticks, just wanted to know what I'm confined to with this case. These look to be more space concious while providing the same timings and speed. Haven't seen any heat comparisons between heat spreaders so I assume it can't be too much of an issue.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/6GB-DDR3-1600MHz-3x240-DIMM-Unbuffered-8-8-8-24-Matched-XMS3-with-Classic-Heat-Spreader-CoreI7

Haven't purchased yet, got no issue with lower profile sticks, just wanted to know what I'm confined to with this case. These look to be more space concious while providing the same timings and speed. Haven't seen any heat comparisons between heat spreaders so I assume it can't be too much of an issue.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/6GB-DDR3-1600MHz-3x240-DIMM-Unbuffered-8-8-8-24-Matched-XMS3-with-Classic-Heat-Spreader-CoreI7

Hi Guys,
I spent extra time just to make sure that extra tall RAM sticks would fit in it. It was quite a bit of work too:D.
So your Corsair with DHX heat spreader will work like a charm (this is specifically what I used to test the case the first time).
This option also works:
DA_BOX_pres15.jpg

So unless we are talking about super tall ones, you should be fine.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I spent extra time just to make sure that extra tall RAM sticks would fit in it. It was quite a bit of work too:D.
So your Corsair with DHX heat spreader will work like a charm (this is specifically what I used to test the case the first time).
This option also works:
DA_BOX_pres15.jpg

So unless we are talking about super tall ones, you should be fine.

Sweet :p, thank you for clearing that up for me. I've noticed certain RAM sticks might have issues with large profile heat sinks so I'll have to match em up accordingly.

Last edited:
Back