New SFF gamer case: Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spinnin' my wheels here... going to update the wiring job w/ some new connectors/heatshrink and make it all a little bit tighter, but the big wait is for the new case so I can actually close everything with the 5970 inside... :rolleyes:

what's the word matt, have you recieved any cases from your manufacturer? Would really like to see the final design even if it isn't painted/paint schemes haven't been decided on.

The one with the "proto" written over it i think it's the only new pic*. The old ones had the big, white, Lan Gear logo. The new one seems to have a brushed alu face, with the cover painted glossy black paint, like before.

*The second pic (next to the "proto" one) could be also new, as the 80mm fan grills seem different.

Last edited:
I don't know if I like the final design. The fan grills are awfully restrictive and it doesn't look like they've changed them at all....

As far as i remember, the 80mm fan grills were made to be removable in the final version. Don't know if they kept this feature and the pics are too small to see any detail...

Bare or black anno, painted, its all fine with me. just no brushed surfaces.

Hi all,

For some time I was watching developments in this case, are there any information which could be a new form is available for purchase?

thanks

ive been following this thread, and thought id subscribe so i can keep up with the news. :)

This case is my favorite case right now (beating all Lian Li and Silverstone ones).

But please more info and pics so that I can decide wether to wait or not.

A month and a half an no updates? Not looking too good... I would of expected at least something in that time frame.

This is the recent information from Matt as of 01/12/2011:

"The final version of Infinity is under way and will be released at the end of February or sometime in March depending on what the manufacturer does.
...we are working non stop (my brother and I and the rest of our small team) to get Infinity out, but that the manufacturers are highly unreliable in terms of deadline.
The message I would like to convey: as soon as we get the parts in our warehouse, we will post them as available on our website and we will mount them as the orders comes. Whatever it takes to get them to you as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your inquiry,

Best regards,

Matt"

As long as I get some pictures of the final design Im happy. At least then I can start buying components.

bump

computer is still exploded over my desk

patience is running out and SG07 might be the replacement :(

i just went i7 2600k SB on that little intel DH67CF board. tough build... board layout is NOT good for this case. mounting SSDs and then realizing that plugging them in (power and data) completely blocks RAM installation due to slot placement. had to put my Vertex 2 120GB in the 3.5" drive slot, along with all of my untidied cables. Couldn't get I/O panel on due to paint thickness casing it to bow too much to get board mounted, and back of the motherboard mounted components cases interference (mainly the mounting points for the 1155 socket) with the CoolIT ALC ECO backplate. Took about 4 hours to build... and this is my second build in the chassis.

would love to have some updated info from mattinv. hope he's working hard to bring the final revs to bare.

i just went i7 2600k SB on that little intel DH67CF board. tough build... board layout is NOT good for this case. mounting SSDs and then realizing that plugging them in (power and data) completely blocks RAM installation due to slot placement. had to put my Vertex 2 120GB in the 3.5" drive slot, along with all of my untidied cables. Couldn't get I/O panel on due to paint thickness casing it to bow too much to get board mounted, and back of the motherboard mounted components cases interference (mainly the mounting points for the 1155 socket) with the CoolIT ALC ECO backplate. Took about 4 hours to build... and this is my second build in the chassis.

would love to have some updated info from mattinv. hope he's working hard to bring the final revs to bare.

When I still used the 2.5/3.5" mounting bracket, I installed the SSDs with the plug end towards the front of the case for this very reason. Had to mash everything in there, but if you use 90º low profile SATA cables you can pull it off. Makes cable management interesting, of course ;)

which case would you get, SG07 or the LAN GEAR Infinity? And is the Infinity the only mITX case LAN Gear has? I'm a bit confused with LAN GEAR's website, when i click the infinity tab, it's showing me pics of the standard mitx case. Is that the Infinity case?

Where can i buy the bag to hold the case? Does anybody have the bag and do they like it?

Okay so I've been wondering. How does one go about fitting an H70 radiator into this? I've seen it in an SG07, and it barely fits, so...

Lan Gear are still keeping the lid on when it comes to the final design. So noone knows what fits and what doesn't.

As for which case to get? Well... if you want to wait for this case, do it. It could still turn out to be a bad case.

And yes... the site really needs some lovin'

I would imagine the H70 hangs from the top 120mm bracket. Looking at the rear pics it seems to have 80mm fan mounts below the top 120mm. H70 rad with a bottom mounted fan = 75mm and the waterblock is low profile so it should fit.

The only option for mounting an H70 would be by using the top 120mm fan mount on the chassis. Also of note, if you do so, as of now (the Beta chassis size/specs) you cannot use the 80mm rear fan mounts, as they interfere with the top 120mm mount/fan placement. It's currently an either/or issue... one that us who were lucky enough to be in the Beta are hoping is resolved in the final rev of the chassis.

Also of note, for those that would hope to do a custom WC loop in this chassis: The dual 120mm side fan placement is currently not deep enough (from the inner mounting where the dual 120mm fans can be placed) to accomodate even the slimmesy dual 120mm rad + slimmest 120mm fans. LanGear, and mattinv have said that the final production case will address a few issues found by the Beta testing group. IIRC, those include:

1.) Lengthening of the chassis to accomodate cards of extended length, such as the 5970 (and possibly by proxy the upcoming expected release of the GTX590 from Nvidia)... fucking Machupo tried to cram his 5970 in there and it was off by about 1/2 inch (too short) to do it without modifying it. I've personally gone from a GTX470 to a GTX580 as of last week, and there's still about 2" (haven't measured, just eyeballing it) between the rear of the card and the front of the chassis... the GTX590 may fit, even as the Beta stands, now.

2.) increase in chassis width by about 1"... i think (this may not be the case when the final production rev gets to the Beta group, but I'm certainly hopeful). this would allow for a custom WC loop and slim fans to be mounted in the side panel of the chassis for those of us really trying to push the limites of what can be put into such a small space.

Like I said, we don't have confirmation, but I'm hopeful that we gain an inch in width, at least (or thereabouts) in order to accomodate more WC loop options. The entension of the chassis in both length and width is paramount for what I have planned mainly due to my want to do the WC loop, and avoid intereference with my Silverstone ST-1000P, as my rad for the ALC ECO currently sits atop the modular plugs for my PP05 set... and I simply refuse to think logically and downgrade my powersupply. In all honesty, it WOULD be a consideration, IF Silverstone's SFX 450w PSU wasn't having so many issues with capacitor whine and power delivery at wattagages approaching maximum load (which I would surely be getting close to even with my current build... let alone a 590 of whenever the mini-ITX P67s hit).

Also, since I haven't posted in here in a while, I have upgraded my rig, as follows:

From: dfi mi p55-t36, Xeon x3440 @ 3.23, 2x2GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600, eVGA GTX470, 2x60GB OCZ Vertex RAID-0

to: intel dh67cf, i7 2600k, 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper 1333, ASUS GTX580, OCZ Vertex2 120GB

The powdercoat in the I/O panel area not being account for on the Beta chassis was of notable issue. I simple gave up, hoping that the final rev would be in hand within the next 60 days... and figuring I could live with no I/O plate for that amount of time without it driving me nuts. The RAM placement on the Intel DH67CF is NOT conducive to building in this chassis IF you're going to utilize the 2x2.5" Drive mounts, as you'll be able to screw the drives to the HDD cage, but NOT install any SATA power or data cables, since the RAM slots are positioned directly behind the 2.5" mounts. There's not even room for a right angle connector. My Vertex2 120 had to go (along with all of my surplus cable length) into the 3.5" drive area below the 2.5" mounts. Also, the 24pin main power connector on the motherboard immedately abutts the 2x120mm side fan positions. If you run slim fans, this won't be an issue, but I am running the standard thickness SilenX's so I had to clip the plastic latch that secures the main 24pin connection to the motherboard header in order to make a scure connection... although I'm not concerned about that, since the board's mating with the plug is nice and secure and there's no reason for the connection to be jarred in any way, even during transport (which is at least 2 times a week at this point).

The inclusing of rear surface mounted components on the Intel motherboard makes the backplate installation for the ALC ECO a bit problematic. I had to clip off one of the ends of the backplate supports immediately after the passthrough threaded mounting hole (that goes through to the top of the board and allows for the CPU block/pump to be screwed in) in order to avoid contacting one such chip, and allow the CPU block/pump to be tightended down. The blackplate still makes contact (it's plastic though, so no worries on conducting) with other chips though, causing the backplate to bow out away from the bottom of the motherboards surface, which in turn increases the height with which the board sites when put inside the chassis. Most notably is the contact that the backplate makes ith the Intel socket Torq screws on the back side of the motherboard. You could shave down the 2mm or so that the Torq heads prodruve from the back of the socket latching system, but I chose not to for several reasons, at this time:

1.) SB x67 chipsets have the SATA 3Gbps port issue, and this board is going to be RMA'd soon to have that issue addressed

2.) I am hopeful to have replaced the board shortly with a P67 based board in order to OC, and cannot be assured at this time, sight unseen, that the P67 board I select will have the same issue. Replacement timeline on this board is ASAP after the P67's hit market and a few reviews make my upgrade choice a clear decision

3.) I'm working in a beta chassis. Machupo already expressed desire (as have others) that the motherboard standoff height be increase by a few millimeters in order to account for thicker backplate designs, and equally important, that the rear I/O and PCI slots also see a few mm height adjustment to account for the new board position when mounted. Due to this possible revision, it may be unnecessary to make a backplate mod.

For now the board is firmly secured to the standoffs, but that is not to say that it is screwed all the way down to the surface of the standoffs either. There's about 1.5mm between the top of the standoffs and the bottom of the board, as I did not want to have the CPU socket area going convex due to tightening down the ALC ECO, but the board going concave at the edges due to excessive tightening at the standoff mounts, while the ALC ECO / motherboard backside component issue is casing the board to bow. I intend to RMA my board and sell it off RMA fresh after the P67 mini-ITX boards hit, and I seriously doubt Intel will consider doing so if the CPU socket area is bowed one way and the board at the mount point / edges is bowed severely in the opposite direction. Also, I was concerned that excessive tightening could have caused the board to crack under the pressure, and as I cannot currently obtain a suitable replacement through any retail channels other than price gouging going on on eBay for this board, I decided to err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back