New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Those look pretty cheap... 599€ for the 40" model here in Europe, while Samsungs 40" are around 900-1000€... Sounds fishy.. Cannot be the same quality. Something's gotta give. Right?

Well, it seems a bit fishy yes but as long as it supports 4:4:4 and has no PWM (or has high freq PWM) I will be willing to give it a go.

But I spotted this now: 49UF7700/49UF770V, which is a IPS panel and has no 3D crap. It has similar price as the 49UF675V which has 3D (and seems to be a VA panel?).

It might be more interesting cuz it IPS, but there is no manual for it yet so can't see chroma information. I will most likely get one later (if it can do 4:4:4) if my Samsung return ends well.

Last edited:
For the people on the fence about the 7100. The AVSforum indicated that the 7100 is superior to the HU8550 model from 2014 which was an 8 series and that internally it may be 120hz.

Check out Cave of Forgotten Dreams on Youtube on the TV's app. It's probably the best 4k demo I've ever seen.

Check out Cave of Forgotten Dreams on Youtube on the TV's app. It's probably the best 4k demo I've ever seen.

What's the search string? I can't seem to find it?

I noticed that I can send YouTube video from my phone to the TV without syncing first wih a code. Nice improvement from the F8500!

And by that time decent edge-lit 4k units will be $750 and $1500, and OLED sets won't be worth that premium.

You'll never go OLED, no one will ever go OLED, OLED is a mythical unicorn that we nerds keep saying "next year" about.

There is no next year.

LG was supposedly getting decent yields with their newer process.

With phone screens they're getting closer to price parity.

New tech tends to take a while with consumer products because it's pretty price sensitive and factories to make this stuff cost a lot.

Not everything is an argument. It's just more information from owners to digest. Take it or leave it.

People read these forums hopefully to get something accurate out of it, not to get all possible info that 2*2=22 , or 4, or maybe 7.

People read these forums hopefully to get something accurate out of it, not to get all possible info that 2*2=22 , or 4, or maybe 7.

You know what's funny? There are at least 5 owners in that thread that states the same information. For someone who doesn't have any of these panels, you're very opinionated about the quality of these panels. I guess all those owners don't know what theyre seeing, and you know just by reading and comparing specs.

Consider what's said about the unimpeachable geometry of 40" vs 48". Evidently there's a lot of confusion about how basic math works nevermind more complicated things.

For the people on the fence about the 7100. The AVSforum indicated that the 7100 is superior to the HU8550 model from 2014 which was an 8 series and that internally it may be 120hz.

They were pissing all over the 7100 for weeks as our thread over here grew and grew, acting as if it were the apocalypse of awful sets. I literally was lol-ing reading their nonsense and ridiculous takes. Good to see they've gotten wise finally and changed their tune.

We think we've got it bad with nit-pickers, but honestly our nit-picking is amateur hour compared to those clowns.

Meanwhile I enjoyed the 6700 today more than I've ever enjoyed a brand new display in the house prior, and that includes the Sharp 90" we got two years ago (which they also feel/felt is absolute shit, awful, unwatchable. gouge your eyes out before looking at it, etc, etc, etc). :D :D :D

Used it for ten hours straight, no breaks, 4k gaming, productivity, YouTube, you name it. No headache, no eyestrain, just bliss. Every time I sit down at my desk and see it I think "Jesus Christ that's big" and smile.

Just no replacement for raw inches, provided you get those inches without other dealbreakers.

Last edited:
A lot of folks at AVS likely believe their threads are very good.

Frankly the problem with these forums isn't the signal:noise ratio per se but typically there's very little progress made for the amount of material posted. People just end up believing and repeating whatever they want to, so any arbitrary thing can either be the greatest of all time or worse than hitler.

My question is, as I'm also replacing my 70" Sharp soon is what is the state of PWM in the big screens? If I drop $4500 on a new 80" 4K UH30 Sharp, will it have PWM? If so, what freq?

Samsung's 88" $23,000 JS9500 set - does it have PWM? FALD, of course, but what does it use to dim? I cannot imagine 88 inches of low-freq PWM in my face. I think I'd start having seizures and soil myself.
You will not be sitting close enough to an 88 inch screen for PWM to be an issue.

What's the search string? I can't seem to find it?

I noticed that I can send YouTube video from my phone to the TV without syncing first wih a code. Nice improvement from the F8500!

https://youtu.be/BW61BoldgXE

Sorry, I actually meant Into the Cave of Wonders. It's an 8min 4k HDR documentary. Amazing stuff.

What I usually do is just start the video, click on "Watch Later" and start up the TV's YT app.

I think that update posted on the website was already pushed through the auto-update. When I tried update from my USB flash it said there was no newer version found.

Sorry, I actually meant Into the Cave of Wonders. It's an 8min 4k HDR documentary. Amazing stuff.

What I usually do is just start the video, click on "Watch Later" and start up the TV's YT app.

I think that update posted on the website was already pushed through the auto-update. When I tried update from my USB flash it said there was no newer version found.

Thanks Wag - bookmarked for viewing later!

Anything new in the updated firmware?

Casting to the JU6500 from an Android phone works very well too. Much easier than searching for the video using the remote.

I actually got a Google Now card today that said that it had detected a Samsung TV on the Wi-Fi network and whether I wanted to know more about what was playing on the TV.

Wow, neat. I think I will take the tapes off my bezel now lol. This set looks like a keeper. I almost felt like its live and I can reach in and touch it.

Wow, neat. I think I will take the tapes off my bezel now lol. This set looks like a keeper. I almost felt like its live and I can reach in and touch it.

Haha the "tape off the bezel" ritual was the same over here today once I decided to keep it.

Played 4k games all nite on my 48ju7500.... I am blown away!!! I havent been this excited to play games since my first pc when battlefield 1942 came out and my radeon 9700!!!

Its soo clear... I dont even need AA on its that clear and jaggy free :0 Bought a ton of games on Steam and Origin... NFS MW , bf3 and bf4, titanfall, MK X ( looks insane!!)

All run at 4k native at 60fps.. soo smooth , I have 1 Titan x and a intel exteme edition 3960x. Nothing crazy.

Also I am shocked of no loading times with the 1tb samsung 850 evo... MK X has no load times.. the bar that shows loading is already done when the screen comes up!!

I think I found a way to get uhd color 4:4:4 to work in game mode. Can anyone send me a link how to check if 4:4:4 is working?

Also there is no banding or uneveness in the display... this bothers me with so many other displays but this tv is soo even across the panel and when you pan left or right or up and down there is nothing distracting me anymore from the picture like so many other displays llus the input lag in game mode is perfect 20ms... LOVE IT!!

Here are my calibrated settings for game mode:

Backlight 8 or 10
contrast 90
brightness 45
sharpness 0
tint 50
advanced settings:
dynamic contrast OFF
smart led OFF
color mode Custom ( native is highly inacurrate)
color temp warm 2

everything else off.

Only problem I have had is sometimes when I turn the tv on then the pc or vice versa the screen is super dim and I have to reset the tv all over again to get it back to normal, anyone see this?

Last edited:
When UHD color is enabled, the set doesn't save the HDMI Black Level setting during power cycle.
Known firmware bug, which is annoying. If you had it on Normal, it reverts back to AUTO.

When UHD color is enabled, the set doesn't save the HDMI Black Level setting during power cycle.
Known firmware bug, which is annoying. If you had it on Normal, it reverts back to AUTO.

My issue is that the tv looks like it is on the minimum backlight setting and even raising it to 20 does NOTHING... it is so bizarre.... I cant figure out what is causing it...

My issue is that the tv looks like it is on the minimum backlight setting and even raising it to 20 does NOTHING... it is so bizarre.... I cant figure out what is causing it...

Do you have all the motion crap disabled? One of those settings will insert a black frame every other frame (motion interpolation) effectively halfing your brightness and flickering like a SOB.

Hey guys What's the difference between the UN55JS9000FXZA and UN55JS9000FXZAU?
Found the UN55JS9000FXZAU for 3299 instead of 3,999

Do you have all the motion crap disabled? One of those settings will insert a black frame every other frame (motion interpolation) effectively halfing your brightness and flickering like a SOB.

No its not that, I have those disabled and in game mode they are greyed out anyway...

Very bizarre, I literally have to reset the tv and start over with setup each time this happens... I have not updated the firmware yet, I am worried input lag could actually increase after a firmware update

No its not that, I have those disabled and in game mode they are greyed out anyway...

Very bizarre, I literally have to reset the tv and start over with setup each time this happens... I have not updated the firmware yet, I am worried input lag could actually increase after a firmware update

Well... That may be the problem. You need to update the firmware. Samsung would not increase input lag on modes made especially for low lag. If anything, they may decrease as new revs come.

Hey guys What's the difference between the UN55JS9000FXZA and UN55JS9000FXZAU?
Found the UN55JS9000FXZAU for 3299 instead of 3,999

It's probably import version vs US. Be careful about returns and warranty if buying at non-authorized dealer.

Played 4k games all nite on my 48ju7500.... I am blown away!!! I havent been this excited to play games since my first pc when battlefield 1942 came out and my radeon 9700!!!

Its soo clear... I dont even need AA on its that clear and jaggy free :0 Bought a ton of games on Steam and Origin... NFS MW , bf3 and bf4, titanfall, MK X ( looks insane!!)

All run at 4k native at 60fps.. soo smooth , I have 1 Titan x and a intel exteme edition 3960x. Nothing crazy.

Also I am shocked of no loading times with the 1tb samsung 850 evo... MK X has no load times.. the bar that shows loading is already done when the screen comes up!!

I think I found a way to get uhd color 4:4:4 to work in game mode. Can anyone send me a link how to check if 4:4:4 is working?

Also there is no banding or uneveness in the display... this bothers me with so many other displays but this tv is soo even across the panel and when you pan left or right or up and down there is nothing distracting me anymore from the picture like so many other displays llus the input lag in game mode is perfect 20ms... LOVE IT!!

Here are my calibrated settings for game mode:

Backlight 8 or 10
contrast 90
brightness 45
sharpness 0
tint 50
advanced settings:
dynamic contrast OFF
smart led OFF
color mode Custom ( native is highly inacurrate)
color temp warm 2

everything else off.

Only problem I have had is sometimes when I turn the tv on then the pc or vice versa the screen is super dim and I have to reset the tv all over again to get it back to normal, anyone see this?

I just noticed that you tested the 7500 at 20ms. HDTV tested it as 21ms. They also tested PC mode at 36ms. I'm curious to know what your results are for PC mode? 36ms is really good. Your test seems to match HDTVtest which has posted the lowest input lag score using the same Leo Bodnar device.

So, I have been running at 20 Backlight and the PWM is really almost tolerable now. The image looks like crap because my contrast/blacks are all jacked up, not to mention is still too bright, but my eyes are much happier. Really hoping/wondering if I can use this mode long term. It definitely takes a lot of the appeal away having the image quality ruined by 20 backlight.

I think I found a bug. After trying to update the firmware on my set from Flash Drive I can no longer do an update over internet- it says "failed to connect to the network". Well, that sucks. :(

So, I have been running at 20 Backlight and the PWM is really almost tolerable now. The image looks like crap because my contrast/blacks are all jacked up, not to mention is still too bright, but my eyes are much happier. Really hoping/wondering if I can use this mode long term. It definitely takes a lot of the appeal away having the image quality ruined by 20 backlight.

When I played with the backlight at 20 I used the built in brightness and contrast calibration videos from media center to adjust the TV & Nvidia controls to get a normal-ish picture.

Lol. I can tell you really want to keep this set. I wonder if PWM effect is lessened the further away you are? How are you able to watch your TV as it most likely has PWM as well?

Back