New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Does any company offer free return shipping? I wanted to try a curved and non-curved then keep one. Best buy has yet to have the 7500s.

Does any company offer free return shipping? I wanted to try a curved and non-curved then keep one. Best buy has yet to have the 7500s.

I think Amazon does, but perhaps only for Prime members - I'm not sure. Verify before purchasing, however.

Last edited:
Anyone have any guidance on HDR settings for the JS9000? Are they distinct from 4:4:4 chroma and the HDMI UHD Color mode?

I see references to testing HDR in various reviews and guides (e.g., this), but it's not clear to me if this is a passive capability that is enabled by default or a discrete setting I have to turn on in a particular source mode and/or picture option.

I don't think mine has any pixel issues. I did a couple of brief checks on all black and all white screens and didn't see anything that jumped out. In the interest of retaining my sanity I'm not going to look TOO hard, but there are no obvious defects (and hopefully none at all).

That's nice of Samsung to offer that free soundbar less than a week after I received my JS9000. :p I've no interest in the free TV (before anyone gets excited about it, it's a 720p unit from 2014)...it might make a decent kitchen TV for the wife or something, though. The soundbar isn't the greatest either, but it would be nice to have a center channel, and free is free!

So Nitemare...you agree that PC mode is slower than Game mode. Did you notice if the difference was any more or any less prior to updating the firmware?

That's pretty cool how the older firmware on your 7500 let you use AMP with Game mode. Unfortunately, there was a striking reduction in image quality on the older firmwares in Game mode, but it sounds like they weren't quite as locked down in terms of which options you could enable.

LOL - Glad i'm not the only one who is a bit afraid to look too close...! I did check my 48" JS9000 and both 40" 6700's - no stuck pixels on the black, white, red, blue, or green images... whew! I still need to check my wife's 48" 6700, but that one has been here too long for any time of return/exchange.

Here's a photo of the font size difference between a 40" and a 48" sitting next to each other. Both displays are at 3840x2160 and the font scaling is 100% (default):
WXZTqAj.jpg

Here is the original picture if you want to see a larger image.

Can you do another photo, please, with both, 40 and 48 " ?
Side by side, just to have an ideea how much bigger is the 48"
Thank you

Both looks great, thank you
What's the model of the 40" one ?
Doesen't bother you the 48" / curve, for gaming and everything else ?

I updated to firmware 1215. PC mode is definitely slower than game mode. But game mode feels quick without slowing down over time which is good.

I think PC mode on my 7500 might be a little faster, and the AMP has less lag too because the old firmware on my 7500 allows it to be used in game mode - the JS9000 requires game mode and PC mode be off. Even with the latest firmware, AMP is still slow and didn't feel any quicker after the update.

Just watched a movie though, and holy smokes, this thing looks good when properly setup. For movies make sure you set HDMI black level to low since that's how film is intended to be viewed. Really makes the image clear and pop!

I decided to try the Game mode again, not just the Game source mode with AMP, and I did indeed notice a difference in responsiveness this time.

My subjective rankings for responsiveness (i.e., best/lowest to worst/highest lag):

1) Game source + Game PQ
2) PC source
3) Game source + some flavor of AMP (the lag was awful in Clear AMP mode at the desktop)

Nevertheless, I still notice a non-trivial difference in PQ. I wasn't able to distinguish a significant difference between the Game source + AMP and Game source + Game PQ settings. However, the PC mode was clearly noticeable with crisp text and outstanding color balance. The colors "pop" in all three modes. Game/Game mode is just not compelling enough for me to walk away from 4:4:4 chroma and outstanding PQ.

Last edited:
So Nitemare...you agree that PC mode is slower than Game mode. Did you notice if the difference was any more or any less prior to updating the firmware?

That's pretty cool how the older firmware on your 7500 let you use AMP with Game mode. Unfortunately, there was a striking reduction in image quality on the older firmwares in Game mode, but it sounds like they weren't quite as locked down in terms of which options you could enable.

I didn't notice any differences between the firmwares as far as lag in either mode. I still need to test against my 7500 though, which will likely happen tomorrow or later this week.

You say there is a striking reduction in quality in older firmwares, and that is true for text from what I could tell... but if you remember all those pictures I posted comparing game mode to PC mode in-game, those were all taken on the old firmware... and as you saw, the difference was realistically nothing! The biggest thing to remember was making sure PQ settings were equal - particularly sharpness (0 in game/TV mode = 50~ in PC mode).

I decided to try the Game mode again, not just the Game source mode with AMP, and I did indeed notice a difference in responsiveness this time.

My subjective rankings for responsiveness (i.e., best/lowest to worst/highest lag):

1) Game source + Game PQ
2) PC source
3) Game source + some flavor of AMP (the lag was awful in Clear AMP mode at the desktop)

Nevertheless, I still notice a non-trivial difference in PQ. I wasn't able to distinguish a significant difference between the Game source + AMP and Game source + Game PQ settings. However, the PC mode was clearly noticeable with crisp text and outstanding color balance. The colors "pop" in all three modes. Game/Game mode is just not compelling enough for me to walk away from 4:4:4 chroma and outstanding PQ.

I actually cant get the picture as sharp in PC mode as I can in Game mode. Either looks noisy as fuck from the sharpening or too dull. Game mode seems to just completely remove the sharpening.

I actually cant get the picture as sharp in PC mode as I can in Game mode. Either looks noisy as fuck from the sharpening or too dull. Game mode seems to just completely remove the sharpening.

That's interesting. Have you verified you're running at the display's native resolution at 60 Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel? Are you in Game source mode with the Game PQ setting enabled or just the Game source mode? Have you enabled HDMI UHD Colors for the appropriate input? Have you tested your 4:4:4 chroma in PC mode?

You may want to turn down the Sharpness when outside of PC mode; values near zero are necessary to obtain anything close to a crisp image.

There could be a number of issues that would provide a suboptimal PQ. I think we may need more information to determine what's going on or, perhaps, someone with more knowledge of these displays than I.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having issues with their display randomly rebooting? My screen occasionally goes black and then turns back on after ~10 seconds then displays the smart hub stuff in the bottom left corner.

I called Samsung about my defective pixel issue... they won't cover it.

I felt like maybe I should just give up since it is pretty dang hard to notice, but knowing it is there bothers me when I spent $2,000...

I called Crutchfield and spoke with a new representative. They're sending out a new TV and I'll just give them the old TV upon its delivery. In addition to this, they will honor the sound bar promotion and I'll be receiving that as well. :D

Is anyone else having issues with their display randomly rebooting? My screen occasionally goes black and then turns back on after ~10 seconds then displays the smart hub stuff in the bottom left corner.

Not here. Have you tried a different input source? It would be nice to determine if the problem is your display or something related to the signal it receives. Either way, this isn't normal behavior. Are you running the latest firmware?

Last edited:
I called Samsung about my defective pixel issue... they won't cover it.

I felt like maybe I should just give up since it is pretty dang hard to notice, but knowing it is there bothers me when I spent $2,000...

I called Crutchfield and spoke with a new representative. They're sending out a new TV and I'll just give them the old TV upon its delivery. In addition to this, they will honor the sound bar promotion and I'll be receiving that as well. :D

Nice! I wonder if Amazon would do the same thing. I would prefer the 24" display.

As for defects, I haven't found any pixel anomalies. I do notice some non-uniform light bleeding at the edges, particularly the top, when the room is dark and the displayed image is black. I have to search to find it and, frankly, this is probably normal for edge-lit displays - especially curved ones. Anyone else observe this?

Well, got my DirecTV changed to their new Genie system (central DVR). The Samsung TVs (in my case the JU6700 and JS9000) are supposed to be able to connect natively - i.e. no need for a receiver.

Well, that does NOT appear to be the case. The tech showed me that when you try and select the DirecTV RVU (i.e. Genie) you get a lovely message on the screen saying "Sorry for the inconvenience. This cool new feature will be available soon." This is on my JU6700 with 1216 firmware and JS9000 with 1215.

Glad I didn't bank on that ability...!

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS!!! Samsung just sweetened the deal. The $2000 rebate doesn't end today.

They must really want to get rid of these bad boys. :p

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN48JS9000FXZA

Quote:
$2,000 instant savings + BONUS UN24H4500 24" class LED HDTV or HW-J450 Soundbar - now through 7/4/15 ONLY!! Click for more info

I am really considering doing this deal. Does anyone know if the HW-J450 Soundbar is any good?

Quote:
$2,000 instant savings + BONUS UN24H4500 24" class LED HDTV or HW-J450 Soundbar - now through 7/4/15 ONLY!! Click for more info

I am really considering doing this deal. Does anyone know if the HW-J450 Soundbar is any good?

I checked out the reviews on Amazon. Most of them are favorable. The few negative reviews mostly concern something other than sound quality, like the unit not working with certain universal remotes or setup being a pain.

Samsung offers far higher end soundbars, and I'd actually like to try one, but I'm not sure how I'd integrate it into my existing setup. I just need the center channel and have no use for the sub. And for what those high end soundbars cost, I'd probably be much better off just going with an entire 5.1 system like the Energy Take 5.1 or the Klipsch Quintet.

OK, so having never used a soundbar before I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to them. I wasn't sure if I could actually use it as a center channel while keeping my existing 2.1 setup, so I called Crutchfield and they said that no, it can't be set up that way. So unless you guys know something that I don't, sound will either be coming through the soundbar or another set of speakers...it won't integrate as a center channel.

While that wasn't the information that I hoped for, I was able to get them to "grandfather" me in to the promotion, even though I purchased my JS9000 outside of the official window. :D I opted for the soundbar since I already have a spare 27" 1080p TV that I can use in the kitchen if that time comes.

If you're like me and purchased your JS9000 very recently, it might be worth calling your retailer and seeing if they'll let you qualify for one of the free items. I'm not sure how Amazon, Frys, etc. will handle it but Crutchfield seems to be doing it without hesitation. Chalk it up as another example of their stellar customer service that will ensure that I keep coming back.

Does anyone know if the HW-J450 Soundbar is any good?
It's pretty good; maybe a 7/10. I tried it along with several others (LG, Boston Acoustics, Sony, Vizio) before choosing a Yamaha. The simulated surround can be surprisingly good at times. For any soundbar, I strongly recommend adding a small subwoofer. It really improves the overall sound quality.

It's pretty good; maybe a 7/10. I tried it along with several others (LG, Boston Acoustics, Sony, Vizio) before choosing a Yamaha. The simulated surround can be surprisingly good at times. For any soundbar, I strongly recommend adding a small subwoofer. It really improves the overall sound quality.

The hw-j450 comes with a 6" subwoofer

Not here. Have you tried a different input source? It would be nice to determine if the problem is your display or something related to the signal it receives. Either way, this isn't normal behavior. Are you running the latest firmware?
Yes I am running the latest firmware. I'll try switching the input source now.

I really don't understand the differences between the Samsung soundbars. What's the point in having 8 channels or whatever, all in the same location? Seems pointless... the included soundbar states it is 160W with a 140W subwoofer. The model right above that only increases the subwoofer wattage by 20W. Even the high-end models are still about the same power, or even less. Crutchfield says the HW-J450 is 80Wx2 RMS for the soundbar (Samsung does not say this is RMS - states operating power is 30W - maybe that is just when turned on and not even producing sound?). They also say the expensive HW-J8500 is 190W RMS but with 9 channels. Maybe that allows for better sound with satellites and tweeters, but the overall power seems about the same? Especially only with a 20W difference between the subwoofers, but it's 1.5" bigger? Also a bit perplexed as to how these speakers are aimed/configured in such a compact space.

I'm not a speaker expert, but I don't see the big differences.

I picked up and have been using the Samsung HW-J6500 curved soundbar. With my setup I have been struggling as to where to put speakers. I usually run with 3 sets of speakers: 1. Main computer 2. Secondary computer (video capture, Vent, etc) 3. A/V Receiver with Blu-Ray, DirecTV, etc.

Trying to get all those setup on the outside of my monitors is a bit difficult, hence the soundbar. The HW-J6500 is the perfect match for the JS9000 (and any 48" curved for that matter). I have my PC set to send audio out over HDMI, then I have HDMI4 (ARC) connected to the soundbar HDMI In.

The sound quality is very good, through it won't beat a really good A/V setup. I was skeptical about the surround capabilities, but it actually does a decent job. Most importantly for me though is that I get sound directly in front of me. I will try some speaker stands from Monoprice to elevate my 3rd set of speakers, and I will also see about modifying my HK Soundsticks II speakers to go horizontal and have then under the edge of the left/right JU6700's.

I hope this info helps others out there. I will check with the place where I got my TV to see if they can get me the deal. If so, I will opt for the $200 off and then return my current soundbar (or the unopened new box) and save myself some money.

Edit: Nice! Talked with my local shop where I got the JS9000 and they will cover me for the new promo!

Last edited:
For everyone's information: I just spoke to Amazon about the Samsung promotion. Unfortunately, they are not able to honor it at this time. It appeared there may be some hope of this over the next couple of weeks, but for now the only option for Amazon customers is to return their displays and purchase from Samsung (or any other retailer honoring the promotion).

AMD 300 and Fury series is said to support HDR. Holy damn nipples!

But apparently those cards don't support hdmi 2.0... Not even Fury, for Gawd's sake..

So if you've been waiting to upgrade your GPU for one of these Samsungs, I guess you are out of luck.

If confirmed, that is!

Had a chance to load up a few rounds of TF2 on my 6700 last night. Didn't feel like I was handicapped at all in terms of response time.

Crutchfield seems to be doing it without hesitation. Chalk it up as another example of their stellar customer service that will ensure that I keep coming back.

Count me among those they gave the soundbar to even though I purchased (just) before the promotion. I called them yesterday and it shipped same day. The TV is in its box in my living room still, the hdmi cable I ordered hasn't arrived yet. (It's killing me, lol.)

But apparently those cards don't support hdmi 2.0... Not even Fury, for Gawd's sake..

So if you've been waiting to upgrade your GPU for one of these Samsungs, I guess you are out of luck.

If confirmed, that is!

Lack of support for HDMI 2.0 was just rumors afaik.

This image from the AMD presentation of the Fury X clearly shows 3 DP and 1 HDMI.

It would make no sense for that HDMI to be 1.x

Last edited:
I checked out the reviews on Amazon. Most of them are favorable. The few negative reviews mostly concern something other than sound quality, like the unit not working with certain universal remotes or setup being a pain.

Samsung offers far higher end soundbars, and I'd actually like to try one, but I'm not sure how I'd integrate it into my existing setup. I just need the center channel and have no use for the sub. And for what those high end soundbars cost, I'd probably be much better off just going with an entire 5.1 system like the Energy Take 5.1 or the Klipsch Quintet.

I have the Take 5.1's with my 60" Samsung F8500 plasma TV. Excellent sound system. You can't go wrong there, especially for the price. I ordered a second pair of the satellites and wired them upstairs so I can use them for Zone 2 from my receiver. Some of the best money I've spent. :D

I figured I'd use the sound bar for a bathroom speaker setup where I can play music to it from my phone or something. That could be useful. The 720p TV not so much.

Back