New RTX 3050 problems

adam_boku

n00b
Hello everybody,

Today I received a new RTX3050 Gigybyte. I deinstalled the old drivers from my GTX770. I plugged everything out and swapped the cards. After pressing my start button, my motherboard gave me 3 short beeps. My Monitor doesn't show that it is connected but the PC is running.

Some additional information:
  • The GPU seems to be on, it has LEDs and they are on, but the fans spin for a moment than stop(passive cooling)
  • I already reset my CMOS and my UEFI. I also updated my BIOS and tried changing pci rom priority and addon ROM display setting back and forth. After updating BIOS the beeping stopped but still no connection to my Monitor.
  • When I swap the card back, everything works again
I bought it brand new. My Specs are:

CPU: Intel i7-2600K
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Pro 3
PSU: bequiet! Pure Power L8-CM 630W

Does it work in the end or not? Should play with bios settings, it's the latest series of graphics cards on an old computer but it should work.
3 short beeps means memory, ram problem.
Update everything from motherboard bios to everything else,operating system, etc.
Display driver unistaller...

you updated to the 3.30 bios "to improve VGA compatibility"?
is the mobo set in uefi mode? im pretty sure the 3000 cards are uefi only.
did you try the onboard vid to see if its outputting there and if windows even sees the 3050?

I'm wondering if your PCI-E slot is able to output enough power, granted this should be supplemented by the PSU, and I'm wondering if your PCI-E slot is making the proper alignment and contact.

Unless the card is just straight up defective, do you have another system you could test the new card in?

I had a similar issue with my 3080 when using a riser cable. The cable was only PCI-E Gen 3 and the setting for PCI-E speed was on auto in BIOS. I had to manually set it to Gen 3. Your board I'm assuming is no faster than PCI-E Gen 2, but I have no idea if that makes a difference. I wouldn't think it would.

It doesn't matter the consumption from the slot, it shouldn't be a problem.This is obviously a software problem.

As b1rd pointed out WRT the beep codes, try re-seating your RAM; just because the retention hooks are engaged does not always mean that it is fully seated. Press each stick in to engage the retention hooks, then press on each one again on both ends and the middle to make sure it has fully bottomed out in the slot.

I have the newest beta Version of my BIOS the 3.40. I noticed I'm not running on UEFI mode. I will try to change that and will report on my progress. Thank you very much guys
The RAM Slots are in properly, i changed them a year ago and have always using them. The beeping also stopped after updating my Motherboard

I have the newest beta Version of my BIOS the 3.40. I noticed I'm not running on UEFI mode. I will try to change that and will report on my progress. Thank you very much guys
The RAM Slots are in properly, i changed them a year ago and have always using them. The beeping also stopped after updating my Motherboard
if your windows doesnt boot after going to uefi mode you will need to convert to GPT.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt
edit: if you need to get back in to make a usb just flip it back from uefi.

Last edited:
Alright, I just had a blast with installing and reinstalling windows to change the GPT. After everything turns on in UEFI Mode I replaced the GPU to the 3050 and I get a new beepcode. It beeps 5 times now. I mean progress right?
:cry:

Alright, I just had a blast with installing and reinstalling windows to change the GPT. After everything turns on in UEFI Mode I replaced the GPU to the 3050 and I get a new beepcode. It beeps 5 times now. I mean progress right?
:cry:
but the instructions i provided dont require a reinstall... what happened?
it is 5 steady beeps or a pattern?

but the instructions i provided dont require a reinstall... what happened?
it is 5 steady beeps or a pattern?
So basically to change to GPT I had to apparently clean all my drives and reinstall windows on one of them again. But thats okay, Windows starts in UEFI Mode. Yet, whenever I press the powerbutton, the same problems as before occur. This time 5 beeps. Fans spin and everything seems to be on but yet no display.
I also cant check if the card is defect because I dont have a different PC to test it on.

So basically to change to GPT I had to apparently clean all my drives and reinstall windows on one of them again. But thats okay, Windows starts in UEFI Mode. Yet, whenever I press the powerbutton, the same problems as before occur. This time 5 beeps. Fans spin and everything seems to be on but yet no display.
I also cant check if the card is defect because I dont have a different PC to test it on.
ok. 5 beeps is cpu error, normally, iirc. cpu heatsink get bumped at all? case in the same position during tests?
double checked you got the correct power cable and its seated good?

Last edited:
ok. 5 beeps is cpu error, normally, iirc. cpu heatsink get bumped at all? case in the same position during tests?
Now after installing the old card again i get 4 beeps and Error 55 which means Memory problems on both cards, so it seems like i moved something out of its place now. Maybe I should just dismantle the whole thing and put all things together proparly

Alright, i solved the Problem with the 4 beeps, RAM was in fact moved a bit. Yet I get to the previous Problem before. But now as a smarter man than before I figured, what all of the beep tones mean. Apparently the VGA just doesn't get recognised. I get the Dr. Debug Code d6. Seems like i will truly have to somehow test if the card is defect or otherwise i will have to get a new motherboard. Thank you all for help, learned a bit from it so you were a huge help.

mbr and gpt have nothing to do, you can't boot the operating system from the M2 nvme disk anyway
Put it all together again, I told you right away display driver unistaller and safe mode .... And all the latest drivers and bios, it's just a matter of bios settings and software ... Unless you've screwed up some of the hardware in the meantime, you're not so much stump that you got a faulty gpu ...
How do you connect a monitor, to DP or hdmi?

mbr and gpt have nothing to do, you can't boot the operating system from the M2 nvme disk anyway
Put it all together again, I told you right away display driver unistaller and safe mode .... And all the latest drivers and bios, it's just a matter of bios settings and software ... Unless you've screwed up some of the hardware in the meantime, you're not so much stump that you got a faulty gpu ...
Like I said, everything has been updated to the fullest. I installed latest drivers for BIOS that are aviable. I connect per HDMI. All old drivers have been deinstalled with DDU. I played with nearly every BIOS setting I had.

its not posting with the new card. that is not a driver issue. it could be a pcie speed issue, 4 vs 2.

He does not know how to set it up, it should work no matter what pci 4.0 is on pcie 2.0 ... And you should also try the DP cable
it should but its not and you insisting "its just software" isnt helping when the thing isnt even posting. changing ports itsnt going to make it post.

I don't think that board supports UEFI based on what I'm seeing. Looks like you'd have to use something like Clover to allow it to boot UEFI devices?

My father had a similar issue with his x99 motherboard and a 3050. He had to turn the monitor off and on again or else it wouldn't display. I thought it was a strange workaround for no display issues.

I don't think that board supports UEFI based on what I'm seeing. Looks like you'd have to use something like Clover to allow it to boot UEFI devices?

My father had a similar issue with his x99 motherboard and a 3050. He had to turn the monitor off and on again or else it wouldn't display. I thought it was a strange workaround for no display issues.
yeah im wondering if thats the issue, its not 100% uefi.

op could try reaching out to GB, see if theres a bios for it. although that will require another pc to flash it...
edit: it = gpu

Last edited:
I mean don't get me wrong the Sandy bridge CPUs had a long useful lifespan, but especially first generation p67 boards are going to have compatibility issues with new hardware. Even with the most recent bios flash.

He should have bought a gtx 1660 super and would not have any problems, or any older generation nvidia or amd...
Yes, you're right...It may work but it depends a lot on the motherboard and the chances are much higher that it will not be compatible with the older generation of processors ....

Stupid move all in all, here in my area you can buy a new gtx 1660 super but still at high prices (now around 430usd) ... rtx 3050 is a card of 200 usd and sells for double and more
i7 2600k is the holy grail of the processors...only now at this time does his final death come

Last edited:

Does this guy actually show proof of the hardware he's claiming to use? If not then I'm calling bullshit on some of those numbers he is showing. You would have to be delusional to think an old i5 750 can deliver the kind of performance he's showing in some of those modern demanding games.

Does this guy actually show proof of the hardware he's claiming to use? If not then I'm calling bullshit on some of those numbers he is showing. You would have to be delusional to think an old i5 750 can deliver the kind of performance he's showing in some of those modern demanding games.
I wouldn't know, these are all some top motherboards, some have some hybrid bios ....
I have an i7 875k processor on a gigabyte p55a-ud3r board, I only need rtx 3080 ... if anyone has an excess of rtx 3080 to donate, let me know and I will test the card on i7 875k procesor....
I can actually go up to rtx 3070 or rx 6700xt because I have a superflower 550w power supply, a stronger graphics probably wouldn't last under full load.

Last edited:
I had some issues with B550m and RX 570 8Gb not wanting to display after a switch out, had to use a different Display Port on Video Card and then it worked, not saying that's your fix but something to try.

I had some issues with B550m and RX 570 8Gb not wanting to display after a switch out, had to use a different Display Port on Video Card and then it worked, not saying that's your fix but something to try.

That is completely irrelevant to this topic. This is a 10+ year old hardware/firmware incompatibility issue.

Alright,
Just giving an update on what happened. I upgraded basically everything. New CPU, Motherboard and DDR4 Ram. Didn't really notice hom old my computer has become :(
However, the problem solved itself immediately. It's a shame I had to upgrade so much, but in the long run seems like a good investment. Thank you all guys for helping, you're the true heroes for me.

Alright,
Just giving an update on what happened. I upgraded basically everything. New CPU, Motherboard and DDR4 Ram. Didn't really notice hom old my computer has become :(
However, the problem solved itself immediately. It's a shame I had to upgrade so much, but in the long run seems like a good investment. Thank you all guys for helping, you're the true heroes for me.
those 2600s had a much longer life than expected, they held up well for a long time. glad you got it all up and running. what did you end up goin with?

those 2600s had a much longer life than expected, they held up well for a long time. glad you got it all up and running. what did you end up goin with?
Well if you're interested. I bought a MSI Z590-A Pro Motherboard and i5-11400K. Went for something that is like most price efficient to not go over my budget i inteded on the GPU I already bought. Still finished with like 800€ in Germany in the end alltogether with the GPU and RAM. The new Motherboard seems also like I can upgrade it a lot whenever I feel like it. Maybe in 10 years again XD.

Back