New RAM shuts off PC when OCing...

doormat

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a GB P35-DS3L and a Q9450, I upgraded from 2x1GB DDR2-800 to 2x2GB DDR2-800. With the 2x1GB sticks I had no problems, it OC'd fine to 3.2GHz with a 1:1 ratio (800MHz RAM).

With the new 2x2GB sticks even if I overclock it to 335 (from 333) it'll reboot when it goes to do the device enumeration at the end of the BIOS (where it lists all those devices on the screen). At stock speed (2.66Ghz) it boots fine and goes without any issues. I've even managed to OC the RAM to 817MHz and it boots (4:5) leaving the CPU at stock speeds (333).

I havent the foggiest what the issue is - the motherboard or the RAM. I'll run memtest86 tonight after I get my work done to make sure its not the RAM. Anyone have any ideas?

I dont know off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure its north of 550W.

To round out the system, I have 2 HDDs (400GB, 750GB), a DVD burner and 7900GS. I didn't think that was too intensive.

I couldnt figure out how to manually set the ram timings on this mobo (maybe I cant if its the cheapo mobo of the GB family). I looked through all the BIOS pages and couldnt find it. All I get are divider settings. The voltage is set a 2V (the chips state DDR2-800 at 1.8-1.9V).

I'm inclined to think that timings a possible cause.

My PSU is an Exermax 535W PSU.

Edit: nevermind, I found that I have to hit ctrl-F1, then go into the page to change the clocks and they'll show up.

So I went in and changed it to 6-6-6-16 and tried 350FSB and it didn't work. Memtest is going now. We'll see....

Memtest ran fine for 4 hours at 400MHz so I don't think the RAM is an issue. Its got to be the BIOS. Maybe I can send the RAM back to newegg for an exchange for a different kind. Sigh....

I toyed around with it some today - I can OC it from inside windows using the Gigabyte Easytune software. I got it up to 3GHz/900MHz RAM and Prime95 tested it for about 15 minutes just to make sure it'll work. It goes back to stock upon reboot. So I know the CPU, RAM and the system in general is minimally stable at 3Ghz/900MHz RAM. But for some reason I cant get past the BIOS. Its got to be the motherboard. But I dont want to buy a new mobo (I'd wanted to save my money for a P55 mobo for i7 later in 2009).

There is a key combo you have to hit to unlock the extra settings in bios, I think it is CTRL F1

I have tried it with both the last "final" bios and the new beta bios for the motherboard.

I did find the ctrl-f1 eventually. However, the fact that I can OC the RAM to 900MHz at the current settings (5-5-5-15) at 2V tells me that its not a RAM performance issue.

Tonight I'll try it with just one stick of the two in and see what happens... I emailed Gigabyte, so we'll see what they say when they get around to responding.

What RAM did you get?

I have that same board and I'm using a Q6600 with the FSB at 400.

GMCH Voltage already +0.2V. I can try higher but I'm weary of doing that.

OK tried the following and nothing worked.

Removing 1 stick of RAM
Increasing MCH voltage to +0.3V

Try 6-6-6-18 and what is your voltage for the RAM? I would run at least 2.0v if not 2.1v.

Its at 2V. I will try 6-6-6-18 this weekend. We'll see, I have a hard time returning RAM if it passes memtest. I dont think newegg will let me swap this for a different kind of RAM either (that might not have this problem with my mobo).

mm if its within the 30 days.. neweggs pretty cool about you rmaing and buying a different brand..

OK so I tried 6-6-6-18 and tried to OC it a little (FSB 333 -> 345). Nope still wont go. Gigabyte told me to go buy some Kingston RAM instead. Not too happy with that response. I may have to see if newegg will let me exchange them for a GB approved kind.

You will normally have more trouble overclocking with 4 Gigs than 3 or even 2Gigs. I suggest you stop playing with your RAM settings and just remove it entirely from the equation. Instead focus on whether your CPU can even overclock properly above 3.2Ghz with 4 Gigs of RAM.

Change the RAM multiplier so it isn't 1:1 and set it to something well below it's default settings. Underclock that RAM. Then see if your CPU can even have a decent stable overclock with 4 Gigs.

When I tried to go from 333->345 (2.66 to 2.76Ghz) the RAM was running at 1:1. Even below its 800MHz rating, it wouldn't OC. Its not a stability issue, its a cant get out of the BIOS, reboots at the same place every time whether I've OC'd 1% or 10%.

Back