New PS3 Owners - feedback!

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
So, i caved in, i am visiting home, toronto on, and decided i needed a new toy, it was either a new lense for my 40D, a new tripod or a PS3, i figured if i sell my gaming rig as i hope i need something to keep me busy.

So, you guessed it, grabbed a PS3 120G model, i dont need the 250G, i can stream it all from my 2 1.5T drives once i get back to costa rica.

So far, i like it, i like they kept the same controller, as i was very used to playing the ps2 alot.

i got with it

Dragon Age
Tekken 6 (always need a good fighter game)

and they had a deal with a 2nd controller anmd ratchet and clank future for $54 so i said why not.

Just playing tekken 6 right now,. but so far i dont regret thiks at all, only had it for 2 hours, but i know already i am going to love playing this thing, getting BR movies, streaming items from my computer, and just over all chilling on the couch gaming.

I am a HUGE PC FPS shooter, a friend wants me to get MW2 as he is getting it for xmas, i may consider it, i didnt like FPS on my 360 i had before it was stolen, but i figure why not try it out, at least, vs others who just blow it off as FPS suck on consoles.

So any one else decide to grab a PS3 lately or plan to get one in the future but arent sure?

thoughts....

next i got to get some other games, has GTA IV gotten better on the PS3, i really want it, also plan to maybe get the God of War collection, and Avatar, it looked good... but not sure... got to get NHL2k10 also!

For streaming, get PS3 media server.
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

it streams really well, including H264 BluRay rips. Has a GUI transcode feature if something doesnt work. IMHO, its the most essential PS3 software. I tried TVersity and a few others. They may look nice, but nothing has the ease or compatibility of PS3 Media server.

awsome! will check that our for sure, will be so nice to have this all set up to get things from my desktop.

considering ineeded a new DVD player and was going to spend money on a small HTPC, PS3 was a smart buy even if just for mostly media stuff,

So my games list seems to consist of:

NHL2k10
Valkyria Chronicles
GTA IV
Little Big Planet: GOTE
Street Fighter IV
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

So i may have some or all before i leave back to costa rica.

Change NHL 2k10 for NHL10

2k10 is junk. A real shame because they did so well with 2k8. NHL10 by EA is so much better you cant even compare the two.

If you like hack and slash RPGs, get Demon Souls. Amazing game.

Wipeout HD / Fury if you like racing games.

I may be back if I think of others.

Change NHL 2k10 for NHL10

2k10 is junk. A real shame because they did so well with 2k8. NHL10 by EA is so much better you cant even compare the two.

I'll second this. I was a huge fan of the 2K series 4 or 5 years ago but EA has since pulled ahead. EASHL/Online team play is great stuff.

Ya friend reminded me it wasnt the same :) get EA's version and your set, so will be grabbing that, man here goes like $400 on games..LOL and they say consoles are cheap :)

MGS4 absolutly, looks pretty awsome!

got the media server set up on my asus 1000he for now, work pretty dam good i must say so far!

Today is going to be a busy day, not going to get anything done though :)

Any thoughts for games for me and the g/f ? does Sony have any games like bejewled 2 and such?

If you didn't like fps on the 360 there is no reason to try it again on the ps3 -- the gameplay is identical.

I'll second this. I was a huge fan of the 2K series 4 or 5 years ago but EA has since pulled ahead. EASHL/Online team play is great stuff.

Im no fan of EA, but when you say NHL10 pulled ahead of 2k, its more like 2K driving a sports car and EA's NHL10 is the Space Shuttle.

So my games list seems to consist of:

NHL2k10
Valkyria Chronicles <- Have this. Really good tactical game.
GTA IV <- Have this too. Runs well and looks good on console.
Little Big Planet: GOTE
Street Fighter IV <- Have this too. Are you cribbing off me??
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

So i may have some or all before i leave back to costa rica.

I haven't played LBP or MGS4 yet but those games all have good reviews. I just picked up madden 2010 the other day but haven't gotten to play it yet. Honestly I game more on my PC than my PS3 lately, but it has an excellent bluray/dvd player built in so it's used more for that purpose. I also bought the bluetooth remote for it so that it would be easier to use for the stated playback features. It's pretty convenient. And it uses standard AA batteries so you don't have to remember ot charge it, unlike the PS3 controller.

I haven't played LBP or MGS4 yet but those games all have good reviews. I just picked up madden 2010 the other day but haven't gotten to play it yet. Honestly I game more on my PC than my PS3 lately, but it has an excellent bluray/dvd player built in so it's used more for that purpose. I also bought the bluetooth remote for it so that it would be easier to use for the stated playback features. It's pretty convenient. And it uses standard AA batteries so you don't have to remember ot charge it, unlike the PS3 controller.

I will post this with more... restraint that the last few times I have discussed LBP on here. Don't be too hasty. It is likely that unless you are a 6 year old or possess the requisite brain damage to be the equivalent of one that you will find it to be shallow and insipid.

Stop whatever you're doing, instal PS3MEDIASERVER and then go buy Uncharted 2!

i am at my uncle place in toronto, i got media installed on my asus 1000he to test and it worked, so once i am back home in Costa Rica, it is going on my desktop so i can get movies to ma tv downstairs!

For me i am hoping i can sell my gaming rig, i will still use it of course, TF2, L4D2 and some other steam games, but i do like a console to sit and relax at my couch, and the media side of it helped alot!

Well, gettingmy butt handed to me in tekken 6 online, cant remeber combo's for the life of me! got to prative some more, played some Clank future, fun time killer, havent cracked open Dragon age yet, but going shopping today for some more games.

I'm gonna have to try that PS3 media server, that looks awesome. To the OP, make sure if you're using netflix to order the streaming disc. I'm not too fond of the SD stuff, but the HD stuff looks pretty damn good. I don't game at all on mine, cause I can't get into console games, but the media features made this a must buy when I got an HDTV... ;)

Ya, media features definitely pushed me to buying it for sure, vs an HTPC. the gaming is a bonus but i know i will get some good usage out of it!

not sure how the netflix HD would do for me in costa rica, i have a 4mb/756kb line, but it can be sketchy sometimes.

If you didn't like fps on the 360 there is no reason to try it again on the ps3 -- the gameplay is identical.

for me it was more getting use to it, since i had a few games i didnt play rainbow all the time, i didnt hate it but then it as stolen, i saw how good some people were so i figure enough pratice and i could get used to it.

Okay just got back from one store and got:

NHL10
GTA IV
Unchartered 2
Little Big Planet <- still not sure why i got this one really, but i guess i wont know till i play it.

I'll be joining this fray on Christmas. I'm a bit jealous, but with finals this week it's probably best that I don't have my matte new PS3 to distract me :D

So,got back to CR, got everything connected, i forgot to get an HDMI cable so i am just using the regualr RCA cables.

Dragon age though,it only plays in 4:3, it wont show in 16:9, really annoying, is this just the way the game is on RCA, will it be proper 16:9,, as i have my PS3 set and games like Tekken 6 and clank have no problem showing as?

So,got back to CR, got everything connected, i forgot to get an HDMI cable so i am just using the regualr RCA cables.

Dragon age though,it only plays in 4:3, it wont show in 16:9, really annoying, is this just the way the game is on RCA, will it be proper 16:9,, as i have my PS3 set and games like Tekken 6 and clank have no problem showing as?

the game will be a proper 16:9 with the correct cables.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Get Demon's Souls! :D

As far as games for you and your girlfriend, you could try Critter Crunch, Fat Princess, Pixeljunk Monsters, or Flower. I don't know if some of these are multiplayer, but you can still play together in spirit lol.

Just entered the PS3 world a week or so ago.

Luckily for me I have friends who have already switched so it makes the initial game purchase load smaller.

So far borrowed:
Batman: AA (beat)
Heavenly Sword (beat)
Infamous (About to start)

Incoming to borrow:
Assassins Creed 2
LBP

Own:
NHL 2010

Buying soon:
MGS4
God of war collection
COD:MW2
Tiger Woods 2010

For streaming, get PS3 media server.
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

it streams really well, including H264 BluRay rips. Has a GUI transcode feature if something doesnt work. IMHO, its the most essential PS3 software. I tried TVersity and a few others. They may look nice, but nothing has the ease or compatibility of PS3 Media server.

I'll definately agree with this. I love this program a TON!

Yup, got the HDMI and was good to go!

will check out some of those games, the g/f actualy like tekken 6, button smasher!

My gf has been enjoying kicking my ass in SFA2 as I set her handicap to high and mine stays at default. And she is definitely a button masher. But it gets her playing my games instead of Wheel of Fortune or something. :p

So i finally get around to wanting toi play GTA IV, too bad i cant!!!!

try to start the game, asks to update to 1.04, starts, resets the PS3 and does nothing!

wtf is this crap!

i tried this trick to get GTA IV to update to 1.04

the fist thing i would try:

go to system > network settings > media server connection > disable

then try the update again.

But no go

So i finally get around to wanting toi play GTA IV, too bad i cant!!!!

try to start the game, asks to update to 1.04, starts, resets the PS3 and does nothing!

wtf is this crap!

Dunno, but all I can say for sure is, PSN eats cock. I decided today to download the beta of MAG-you know, that 289MB beta of the online FPS? Yeah. Three FUCKING hours later, still isn't done. I'm on a 10Mb *Fiber* connection.

ya seems the PSN is dam slow, was reading some sites and people doing comparisons with a 360 and the PS3 and things done in like 10 mins on a 360 took hours on the PS3.

You would think rockstar and Sony could get a simply game update to install and work properly....

You'd think so, wouldn't you? I can't blame the console itself, but man do Sony's network services suck. I'd always heard and assumed that PSN was better than Wii's online network, but umm...no, it isn't. I don't have this problem doing downloads on my Wii *ever*. Granted, most game downloads on Wii top out at 50MB or so, but they're never slow, and they have more than twice the systems installed.

My mkv files are lagging like hell when I stream with PS3 Media Server. I've had no problems with any other file types. Any thoughts?

Just got one for Christmas and am loving it right now. I love the media streaming features so I can kick back and watch my digital media content from the couch. I suck at FPS on consoles but with some practice I am sure I can get pretty decent.

Back