New OCZ 1250 Watt unit: ZX1250W. Any info?

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
Supposedly a 92% efficiency at "typical loads" which I believe is the highest in the 1200w class. Newegg has them for only $210 with rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341046

OCZ: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-zx-series-1250w-power-supply.html

ZX1250W_gold.jpg

ZX_back_1.jpg

I cannot find any reviews since this item just came out. You think it would be risky to purchase this "inexpensive" single-rail untested unit versus something like the tried and tested high quality multi-rail HCP-1200?

You think it would be risky to purchase this "inexpensive" single-rail untested unit versus something like the tried and tested high quality multi-rail HCP-1200?

Yes. You could always just wait for a review or go for the sure thing.

Err from all reports this is just a tweaked Ocz z-series, nothing to go crazy over. Averageish psu with good efficiency from Sirfa.

Well, there's a 5 year warranty if anything does go wrong, which is higher than what they usually offer (3 years). 5 year warranty is also pretty much the standard of most high-end power supplies, with some Corsair units going to 7 years. I take this as a fairly good sign of a good quality PSU.

I think most people here will agree that the single-rail vs multi-rail argument doesn't hold much merit. You can just pretty much ignore how many rails a power supply has, since it doesn't have much to do with a power supply's quality. For example, the AX1200 uses a single-rail design, and it's a top-notch power supply.

These PSUs are made by Great Wall. The 1000W and 1250W models use the same design as the 1000W and 1250W Sparkle Gold PSUs and are possibly even identical. That means these units are a pretty safe bet.\
I think most people here will agree that the single-rail vs multi-rail argument doesn't hold much merit. You can just pretty much ignore how many rails a power supply has, since it doesn't have much to do with a power supply's quality. For example, the AX1200 uses a single-rail design, and it's a top-notch power supply.
The amount of rails is insignificant as far as PSU quality is concerned. The issue is that single-rail PSUs do not offer the same level of protection, and in certain cases a large +12V rail can be a danger due to the lack of a sufficiently low (or any) OCP limit.

These PSUs are made by Great Wall. The 1000W and 1250W models use the same design as the 1000W and 1250W Sparkle Gold PSUs and are possibly even identical. That means these units are a pretty safe bet.\

The amount of rails is insignificant as far as PSU quality is concerned. The issue is that single-rail PSUs do not offer the same level of protection, and in certain cases a large +12V rail can be a danger due to the lack of a sufficiently low (or any) OCP limit.

I noticed in the pictures the housing of this new OCZ unit looks exactly like the Sparkle 1250w. Although the Sparkle is rated to have many rails yet the OCZ just one?

I know the whole single vs multi-rail isn't indicative of quality It's just I've read multi-rail will give you better over-current protection for your system.

I think that point is a moot point when talking about high-quality power supplies. All high-quality power supplies have OCP, so there shouldn't be any danger. The way I figure, having a 30 amp OCP on each rail for 4 rails is about having the same as a 120 amp OCP on a single rail.

I will just make this hypothetical argument to counter: If a power supply has OCP on each rail, but not one overall, there is a greater danger. Say it has 4 rails, and the OCP at 25 amp per rail, and the power supply is rated at 1000 watts (approximately 83 amps). Theoretically, you can load each rail to 24 amps (, and completely overload and possibly blow up the power supply, because you don't have an overall OCP. Whereas if you have one overall rail with its OCP set at 90 amps, you have a much lower risk of blowup. Of course, this is all hypothetical, and not really a concern with high-quality units.

Your right, I think this PSU is just a Great Wall: http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/GREAT WALL_GW-EPS1250DA(90+)_ECOS 1473_1250WReport.pdf

I wonder if it even uses Japanese components or cheaper stuff to keep the cost down. HCP-1200 looks like a better PSU.

Yeah, but Jonnyguru's testing with the Sparkle units, which are Great Wall, has it competing with the Corsair AX1200. If this really is the same design, then we can expect it to have great performance. Also, it is relatively easy to group the 12v rails into one rail; you just connect all the rail lines to each other, as has been done on some units.

or you just don't put in individual OCP circuits. Because the Sparkle's multi rails are derived via OCP instead of actual multiple rails.

I noticed in the pictures the housing of this new OCZ unit looks exactly like the Sparkle 1250w. Although the Sparkle is rated to have many rails yet the OCZ just one?
The Sparkle actually has a single rail. All the +12V outputs are bridged together on the PCB and there are no individual OCP circuits.
I wonder if it even uses Japanese components or cheaper stuff to keep the cost down. HCP-1200 looks like a better PSU.
The Sparkle-branded unit uses Teapo capacitors everywhere. Teapo is a Taiwanese brand, but their capacitors are still fine in PSUs and the unit still had excellent performance. I wouldn't be concerned either way.
I think that point is a moot point when talking about high-quality power supplies. All high-quality power supplies have OCP, so there shouldn't be any danger. The way I figure, having a 30 amp OCP on each rail for 4 rails is about having the same as a 120 amp OCP on a single rail.

I will just make this hypothetical argument to counter: If a power supply has OCP on each rail, but not one overall, there is a greater danger. Say it has 4 rails, and the OCP at 25 amp per rail, and the power supply is rated at 1000 watts (approximately 83 amps). Theoretically, you can load each rail to 24 amps (, and completely overload and possibly blow up the power supply, because you don't have an overall OCP. Whereas if you have one overall rail with its OCP set at 90 amps, you have a much lower risk of blowup. Of course, this is all hypothetical, and not really a concern with high-quality units.
That is incorrect. The point of multiple rails with smaller OCP limits is to prevent something like a partial short from occurring. That will create a high current draw on a single or a few wires, but not high enough to trip the OCP, and that could cause a wire to overheat and ignite. A 30A OCP limit will prevent this, but a 120A limit will not. A pin on a wire coming from a PSU can handle a little over 30A before igniting.

That argument assumes that OPP is not present. All good PSUs have OPP (over power protection), which prevents the total load on the PSU from exceeding a certain limit.
or you just don't put in individual OCP circuits. Because the Sparkle's multi rails are derived via OCP instead of actual multiple rails.
Like I said, above, the Sparkle doesn't actually have multiple rails, although it's certainly true that nearly all multi-rail units separate the rails using OCP.

The unit does look fairly decent but I decided to go with the HCP-1200 as I think that still leads the pack.

Like I said, above, the Sparkle doesn't actually have multiple rails, although it's certainly true that nearly all multi-rail units separate the rails using OCP.

guess that is what I get for merely skimming Oklahoma Wolf's review.

Back