New mini build, need suggestions

Linkz

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

This will be my first micro PC build and I'd love a second set of eyes over the list.

PC Part Picker

On the link above I didn't include a GPU since I have no idea what to put in there, I've always used nvidia cards in the past but since they are crazy high right now I could go AMD. Also this is supposed to be more of a budget (ie around $1000) build so I could go with something like a 1080.

Most played stuff is Genshin Impact, Fortnite, Civ6 so nothing too extreme in terms of graphics.

I believe I have done the due diligence of measuring the case I picked with the other parts so that should be okay, but feel free to let me know if there are any concerns.

So as a wrap up, please look over the build let me know anything I might have forgotten and any GPU recommendations, thanks to all!

-Linkz

If the budget allows, I'd recommend upping the CPU to at least one of the i5-10600 units. Much faster at both base and turbo clocks.

You might be able to save some by using lower-clocked RAM. Both CPUs are specced for DDR4-2666, and I don't believe the mainboard/chipset selected allow for overclocking.

The PSU is probably more than needed as well, unless you really go in on the GPU. Something in the 500 W range would be more suitable. You may also be able to save some by going with a semi-modular unit (the fixed cables are ones the system can't be without anyways).

As for GPU, it's hard to say without knowing the resolution + refresh you're looking for, and whether your display supports Gsync/FreeSync.

I really enjoy my Node 304 for it' s fantastic airflow plus the up-to-6 drive bays (but really 4 if you re installing a GPU)

But if you want a GPU that is longer than about 8 inches, you are going to have trouble with a fully-modular PSU.

If you re confused, low me to explain: the PSU is mounted so that the output cables are running into the GPU.; it is a lot easier to bend your way around these obstructions when you don't have the hard plastic of multiple modular connectors sticking out the side of the PSU.

What makes this even worse is, most modular PSUs require extra space for all those added hard plastic connections (they extend the length of the PSU to put them all inside, and then you have the matchinbg-pair on the outside for every cable you have to connect), so it becomes nearly impossible to thread your way around the graphics card, when your PSU is longer than specs allow!

Just go non-modular, bronze, and be done with it (you won't need more than 500w.) other than this one compromise, the case has been painless over the last 8 years

Last edited:
I would look at a different case with support for a 3 slot video card. Unfortunately, graphics cards aren't getting any smaller, even "mid-range" ones. You'll probably be limited by the case when you get around to picking out a card (or upgrading in the future).

Even for B460 builds 3200 CL16 is the best choice. Running it at 2666 you should be able to go down to CL14. 3200 CL16 is the cheapest right now. 2666 native ram has crap timings.

I agree that the PSU is too big.

Last edited:
I would look at a different case with support for a 3 slot video card. Unfortunately, graphics cards aren't getting any smaller, even "mid-range" ones. You'll probably be limited by the case when you get around to picking out a card (or upgrading in the future).

No.

Only 350w graphics cards are demanding that we go triplet-slot. You can even find some dual-slot RTX 3080 cards ( founders edition and this one are two I found quite quickly:L

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-10g-oc/p/N82E16814137598

The rest of the world is still happy running on sub-225w graphics cards (RTX 3070 RX 6800). Nvidia would never abandon those laptop-friendly GA104 and 106 parts, so you can continue with your dual-slot life (regardless of how much higher power limits the new connector opens-up, the market for 400w+ graphics cards will be relatively tiny)

No.

Only 350w graphics cards are demanding that we go triplet-slot. You can even find some dual-slot RTX 3080 cards ( founders edition and this one are two I found quite quickly:L

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-10g-oc/p/N82E16814137598

The rest of the world is still happy running on sub-225w graphics cards (RTX 3070 RX 6800). Nvidia would never abandon those laptop-friendly GA104 and 106 parts, so you can continue with your dual-slot life (regardless of how much higher power limits the new connector opens-up, the market for 400w+ graphics cards will be relatively tiny)

With all due respect, even your basic 3070/6800 cards are mostly larger than two slots. You are limiting yourself to hard to find cards instead of the broader pretty much any card if you have three slots in your case.

Manufacturers are getting lazy. They use the same cooler up and down the lineup. I had an MSI 3060 ti that uses the same gigantic cooler as their 3090. Don't get me wrong, it worked fantastic on a 225W part, but it was complete overkill and definitely wouldn't fit in that case. It did fit fine in the NR200 for example.

With all due respect, even your basic 3070/6800 cards are mostly larger than two slots. You are limiting yourself to hard to find cards instead of the broader pretty much any card if you have three slots in your case.

Manufacturers are getting lazy. They use the same cooler up and down the lineup. I had an MSI 3060 ti that uses the same gigantic cooler as their 3090. Don't get me wrong, it worked fantastic on a 225W part, but it was complete overkill and definitely wouldn't fit in that case. It did fit fine in the NR200 for example.

no. Newegg currently has 12 dual-slot cards listed in inventory for rtx 3000

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709 601357282 600419829

ITX buyers are typically not shopping for highly-overclocked cards, and there are enough option there

no. Newegg currently has 12 dual-slot cards listed in inventory for rtx 3000

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709 601357282 600419829

ITX buyers are typically not shopping for highly-overclocked cards, and there are enough option there

If you can't tell the difference between 12 cards (HALF of which are water cooled or longer than would fit in a Node 304 anyway with drive cages or a large PSU installed) and 88 cards when you remove those restrictions, I can't help you. I didn't say you didn't have any options. I said you have MORE options if you pick a different case. The Node 304 had it's time, but there are better cases out there now if you're in the market.

Last edited:
I really appericaite all the build comments, I swapped out the CPU for 10600K, don't need the overclock but the price was good, and I changed out the PSU for not modular so the cables bent easier. Also after alot of looking I do like the Cooler Master NR200 over the Node 304 (couldn't find that on PC Part Picker though.

New Part Picker

So that's the new list and here is the case:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Triple-slot-Tool-Free-Accessibility/dp/B08BFJ8V8C

I still need to figure out GPU since the prices are kinda crazy right now, honestly anything that is a 1080 or above is probably sufficient. I'd prefer a 2060 or above but prices are crazy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I really appericaite all the build comments, I swapped out the CPU for 10600K, don't need the overclock but the price was good, and I changed out the PSU for not modular so the cables bent easier. Also after alot of looking I do like the Cooler Master NR200 over the Node 304 (couldn't find that on PC Part Picker though.

New Part Picker

So that's the new list and here is the case:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Triple-slot-Tool-Free-Accessibility/dp/B08BFJ8V8C

I still need to figure out GPU since the prices are kinda crazy right now, honestly anything that is a 1080 or above is probably sufficient. I'd prefer a 2060 or above but prices are crazy.
Good change. Your original choice of an i5-10400F would have required a discrete GPU just to even run at all. And since you are still undecided on a GPU, the CPUs without the "F" would have been a better choice for that mini build since the non-"F" CPUs will have integrated Intel UHD Graphics to fall back on if you can't find a GPU to put into that system.

That said, you could have done pretty well by choosing an i5-10400 (without the "F" at the end) for that miniITX build. The way that Turbo works, there is little practical real-world all-core application performance between the i5-10400 (non-"F") and the i5-10600K.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Good change. Your original choice of an i5-10400F would have required a discrete GPU just to even run at all. And since you are still undecided on a GPU, the CPUs without the "F" would have been a better choice for that mini build since the non-"F" CPUs will have integrated Intel UHD Graphics to fall back on if you can't find a GPU to put into that system.

That said, you could have done pretty well by choosing an i5-10400 (without the "F" at the end) for that miniITX build. The way that Turbo works, there is little practical real-world all-core application performance between the i5-10400 (non-"F") and the i5-10600K.

There's even less difference if your board supports altering the turbo power. I had pretty good luck with my 10700.

Any ideas where I might find a GPU to pop in here? I'd prefer anything in the RTX 20 series since the 30 series will be impossible to find.

Last edited:

???

i5-10400: 2.9 / 4.3 GHz (base/turbo)
i5-10600k 4.1 / 4.8 GHz

That is a fairly substantial difference, especially at base clock. Maybe less meaningful for a basic Internet terminal/office computer, but for even light gaming it could be significant (e.g., ever have to wait for the Civ AI to run through all the NPCs in late-game?).

Any ideas where I might find a GPU to pop in here? I'd prefer anything in the RTX 20 series since the 30 series will be impossible to find.
Those are harder to find than 30-series new at least at a decent price. The 20 series was discontinued, though it sounds like they might be bringing some of them back due to the GPU shortage. They're made on an older process, so they won't compete with the 30 series for Samsung 8nm production or a whole pile of stuff for TSMC 7nm.

I've kind of been watching Newegg, Best Buy and my local Microcenter and they occasionally have 1660 Supers or 1660Tis in stock. Those are a little slower than a 2060. I've also seen 5000 series AMD cards (5600XT, 5700, 5700XT) occasionally, but less often. 5600XT is about as fast as a 2060 IIRC, and the 5700s are faster. Best Buy and the Chicago Microcenter had a few today. 1650s and 5500s also show up pretty often.

You can crank up the power limit on non-k Intel chips to make them run faster. The only non-k chip I've played with was a 10700. It would do 4.6GHz on all cores, but that took about 170W and would slow down a few hundred MHz if I threw an AVX heavy load at it.

Corsair CV is scraping the bottom of the PSU barrel.

It's a group regulated PSU meaning 12V and 5V rails are not independently regulated. It's not a good choice for modern systems where the 12V rail is almost turned off in low power states. That's why CV is not "Haswell ready".

If you want non-modular, go with a Corsair CX-550 or Seasonic Core GM-550.

Speaking of Microcenter, if close enough I would suggest looking often. I found a gtx 1080 for a reasonable price of $289 just the other day, refurb FE of course. It should be in teh same ballpark as a 1660 super /ti though.

Back