New Microsoft Windows 10 Preview

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you interested, the new Microsoft Windows 10 preview with the updated start menu and Cortana is now available for download.

• Remember, trying out an early build like this can be risky. That's why we recommend that you don't install the preview on your primary home or business PC. Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything.
  • If you want to stop using Windows 10 Technical Preview and return to your previous version of Windows, you'll need to reinstall your previous version from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC—typically a DVD. If you don't have recovery media, you might be able to create a USB recovery drive.
  • After you install Windows 10 Technical Preview, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

Remember guys. Windows 8.x has Hyper-V. All you have to do is turn it on :)

Downloading the ISO now.
Waiting for feedback before I put this on my mail rig.

About to go download this and toss it on my main rig.

"That's why we recommend that you don't install the preview on your primary home or business PC." ppffttt, yeah right!!

doing the same and hoping the video glitches are fixed!

I thought it was only going to be released next week...MS must really be happy with this build

Windows 10 unveiling,
62Dc54a.jpg

Bootcamp is a thing...

I ran the technical preview for months on my MacBook Air. I just switched back to 8.1.

Why doesn't that bitch in green move over so the guy can take a proper seat.

Hey Steve, thanks for the heads up! :D I have been looking forward to trying a new build for a while now. :)

Can you update the last build to this one or do you have to reinstall?

Downloading now, but probably won't install until later this wkend.

Why is everyone using macs in that picture? LOL.

Running it on my main machine and my laptop right now. Works excellent so far. A few things that Cortana won't do. But, seems to be a great upgrade from the other previous builds.

I decided to give the new build a try. My system was on windows 7 ultimate before I tried this.
I went to the tech preview website and downloaded a file that was something like 10k (give or take a little). When I ran this file the windows update thing loaded. From there everythign was done through windows update. Yes, in case you missed it, I updated from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 tech Preview through the windows update.
It took about 3 hours, but that was mainly due to me having to spend time with my son. I didn't think about the parts that would wait for some type of input from the user. No worries though. So far everything is running nicely. Seems to be a bit quicker than 7 was. I did not lose any applications I had installed in 7.

I decided to give the new build a try. My system was on windows 7 ultimate before I tried this.
I went to the tech preview website and downloaded a file that was something like 10k (give or take a little). When I ran this file the windows update thing loaded. From there everythign was done through windows update. Yes, in case you missed it, I updated from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 tech Preview through the windows update.
It took about 3 hours, but that was mainly due to me having to spend time with my son. I didn't think about the parts that would wait for some type of input from the user. No worries though. So far everything is running nicely. Seems to be a bit quicker than 7 was. I did not lose any applications I had installed in 7.

Cool, thank you for the heads up and information. :) I am trying it in a Virtual Box as we speak and so far, so good. The primary reason I am not trying dual booting yet is because the Asrock UEFI firmware may need to be updated first.

Why doesn't that bitch in green move over so the guy can take a proper seat.

Because he's manspreading! And it's EVIL!

Anyway, so weird that there are soooo many macs. Hell, I didn't even notice the surface pros until someone pointed it out.

Tried to install it natively as a dual boot on my Surface Pro 3 and it was completly unstable. Installed it on a three year old Samsung 7 Slate and it's working well. Lots glitches but stable. Continuum is interesting. Tablet mode seems to handle the windowing of both desktop and modern apps the same using what is essentially 8.1's snapping scheme. Likewise in desktop mode all app windows, both desktop and modern, are resizable free-floating windows. Just this one issue accounts for a great deal of the complaints I've seen of Windows 8.x.

Long way to go but overall this is on the right path. It answers the major functional complaints of the UI from KBM perspective, is still tablet friendly and it's a completely free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 for the first year after release. My major concern right now is over stability. There are too many bugs and loose ends I'm seeing at this point to feel good about a launch this year. It may come together technically but I have my doubts.

Tried to install it natively as a dual boot on my Surface Pro 3 and it was completly unstable. Installed it on a three year old Samsung 7 Slate and it's working well. Lots glitches but stable. Continuum is interesting. Tablet mode seems to handle the windowing of both desktop and modern apps the same using what is essentially 8.1's snapping scheme. Likewise in desktop mode all app windows, both desktop and modern, are resizable free-floating windows. Just this one issue accounts for a great deal of the complaints I've seen of Windows 8.x.

Long way to go but overall this is on the right path. It answers the major functional complaints of the UI from KBM perspective, is still tablet friendly and it's a completely free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 for the first year after release. My major concern right now is over stability. There are too many bugs and loose ends I'm seeing at this point to feel good about a launch this year. It may come together technically but I have my doubts.

On the tablet, does it have the swipe functions? I do not like the idea of having to hit little buttons and dragging windows around by the title bar with my finger.

Installed the ISO of the new build in Parallels; Parallels Tools keeps trying to reinstall on every boot. Guess I need to wait for a patch from Parallels. Shame, I wanted to give this a spin over the weekend.

Writers use Macs, writers and artists are the people keeping Apple's computer division in business.

1997 called, they want their memes back.

On the tablet, does it have the swipe functions? I do not like the idea of having to hit little buttons and dragging windows around by the title bar with my finger.

The application control via swipes is gone. Swiping down from the top of an app is the only thing left at this point. There will be Windows tablet users that will not be happy with 10 at this point but Microsoft appears to be reworking the tablet UI top to bottom. The prior builds weren't useable on tablets. This one is but not as tablet friendly as 8.x. But I do like the way that desktop and modern windows have been made more consistent.

Upgrade from 9879 failed, I do have that KB installed. It went on fro 30-40min and then it failed and rolled back to previous version.

I will do a clean install from iso later.

Upgraded from 8.1 via the Windows Update took. Took about 45 minutes. Everything seems to be working, but there's no Internet Explorer of course. Chrome and WoW run fine.

Upgraded from 8.1 via the Windows Update took. Took about 45 minutes. Everything seems to be working, but there's no Internet Explorer of course. Chrome and WoW run fine.

Desktop IE should still be there. Modern IE was disabled from the first Windows 10 build and it looks like Spartan is going to replace it.

Desktop IE should still be there. Modern IE was disabled from the first Windows 10 build and it looks like Spartan is going to replace it.

I'll try it again in a few. I may have mis spoke. It's not that IE isn't there, it's just not running.

I'll try it again in a few. I may have mis spoke. It's not that IE isn't there, it's just not running.

Yeah, I had to dig it out of C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer as it wouldn't run from the start menu, or by searching.

i dont like the start menu with build 9926 i would like the one from 9878 back.

What are the differences?

It used to size adjust for how much metro you wanted and it had a relatively similar to a traditional start menu from 7 I liked it a lot the new one not so much it does not resize and has a bit different app list.

Yea i went to bed woke up clicked my start menu and was like wtf i guess it auto updated while i was sleeping. i also prefer the previous start menu it needs customize options at least the tiles are slightly more adjustable. i prefer my start menu to be more tuned for a mouse. my main pc is not touch no need for big icons in the start menu.

played with this shit in virtualbox.
Meh.

I prefer my clean Windows 7. This windows 10 takes up too much real estate.

WTF is up with this flat UI shit. Windows explorer Icons look like they were designed for Atari. I hope this fad dies soon.

Meh!

Nothing to see here. It's new so I suppose it will fly off the shelf for no other reason...:rolleyes:

Back