New Microsoft Windows 10 Preview

WTF is up with this flat UI shit. Windows explorer Icons look like they were designed for Atari. I hope this fad dies soon.

It's not a fad, and you've had many years to deal with it already.

"That's why we recommend that you don't install the preview on your primary home or business PC." ppffttt, yeah right!!

doing the same and hoping the video glitches are fixed!

Ever hear of 2nd harddrive just for it;)

Why doesn't that bitch in green move over so the guy can take a proper seat.

There's an empty seat on the opposite side of the isle that he could use instead of perving out and trying to get his hideous looking flannel lumberjack shirt covered self all smeared up on the side of anything with boobies.

The application control via swipes is gone. Swiping down from the top of an app is the only thing left at this point. There will be Windows tablet users that will not be happy with 10 at this point but Microsoft appears to be reworking the tablet UI top to bottom. The prior builds weren't useable on tablets. This one is but not as tablet friendly as 8.x. But I do like the way that desktop and modern windows have been made more consistent.

As long as they still have full screen apps, proper swiping on the tablet and a desktop on it, that is what I want. Without a desktop, the tablet becomes just as useless as a ipad or droid tablet. Where would I run a command line prompt from to do network troubleshooting?

Mouse and keyboard support on the tablet are super critical as well. The reason I have a Surface 2 over any non Microsoft based tablet is because I can get real work done on it. (I do not want and do not need a laptop anymore.)

It's not a fad, and you've had many years to deal with it already.

I've learned to deal with it, doesn't mean it's any more appealing then when I first saw it. I didn't like it then, I don't like it now. I mostly dislike the lack of desktop configurability that I'd gotten use to with XP and Windows 7.

Well I finally got this build stable on my Surface Pro 3. I didn't really do anything. It crashed like 20 times but on its own finally became stable enough to run Windows Update and get the updates installed. It's still running very hot though and murdering the battery.

WTF is up with this flat UI shit. Windows explorer Icons look like they were designed for Atari. I hope this fad dies soon.
:D Flat UI has been trending for years i remember people praising microsoft for dialing back the look to minimalism. 100 times better looking than the super bubbly crap we had in the early 00's imo.

I've learned to deal with it, doesn't mean it's any more appealing then when I first saw it. I didn't like it then, I don't like it now. I mostly dislike the lack of desktop configurability that I'd gotten use to with XP and Windows 7.

First… you aren't the person I replied to, so don't speak for him.

Second, you have not lost any customization options. You've gained new ones, and those new ones ship as default, and you are fully capable as an [H] reader of spending 10 minutes learning how to change them.

Finally got around to installing it. running it on older hardware 2.5GHz E5200 and 4GB of RAM. It runs rather well. Dont have speakers or a mic hooked up to it so cant mess with Cortana much, but i do like that it pulls up relevent (to me) news and info, like Google Now

i dont like the start menu with build 9926 i would like the one from 9878 back.

What are the differences?
It used to size adjust for how much metro you wanted and it had a relatively similar to a traditional start menu from 7 I liked it a lot the new one not so much it does not resize and has a bit different app list.

So it'd grow if you added tiles and shrink if you removed them?
Does the new one grow if you add more tiles?

Meh!

Nothing to see here. It's new so I suppose it will fly off the shelf for no other reason...:rolleyes:

It'll fly off the shelf because it's free.

I looked at Steam's OS-H/W survey last week, and I was surprised at how much of the market 8.x has. It's over 30%. I know I've argued that business was never going to adopt 8. It's not at 7 levels (around 58%), but I think that's not bad.

I had licenses for 8 since the launch, and I didn't upgrade until last week (and even then I only did it as an upgrade...if I'd felt I had to do a clean install, I wouldn't have done it. Too much time (especially since I plan to build a new system later this year).

As long as they still have full screen apps, proper swiping on the tablet and a desktop on it, that is what I want. Without a desktop, the tablet becomes just as useless as a ipad or droid tablet. Where would I run a command line prompt from to do network troubleshooting?

Mouse and keyboard support on the tablet are super critical as well. The reason I have a Surface 2 over any non Microsoft based tablet is because I can get real work done on it. (I do not want and do not need a laptop anymore.)

I'm pretty sure I've SSHed into a machine from both android and iOS (I know I've done it with the latter).

I consider the lack of a keyboard a bigger hindrance than windows or a desktop interface.

i dont like the start menu with build 9926 i would like the one from 9878 back.

So it'd grow if you added tiles and shrink if you removed them?
Does the new one grow if you add more tiles?

Yes to both the new one does to some extent too but if you remove them all the new one has this huge blank space where the old one would shrink to nearly none. Plus the apps area on the old one was sorted and looked generally like the one in 7.

Latest build changed stuff like the icons i think. Changed a lot of stuff for the better i think ;)

Just got around to installing this today. Never tried out any of the other build but so far I'm liking what I see. Installed on an Acer Aspire U5-610 and it's working great. Cortana needs some work but the family has been having fun listening to her jokes, lol. Did an upgrade over top of 8.1 without the iso and it went smooth. Hopefully this will go as smooth and work as nice once the final release comes out as I plan to upgrade to it.

Back