New Mac Ad

Look, you're simply wrong. Go to the press release product pages of both companies if you'd like.

I understand that you want to save face and you probably wish you could edit your posts right about now, but you can't so the best course of action is simply to stop posting in this thread and hope we forget all the stupid things you've said.

Wow i cant see through the haze of arrogance.

Whos trying to save face?

Wow i cant see through the haze of arrogance.

Whos trying to save face?

Wow, maybe you're just not an intelligent person.

1. Microsoft's advertising budget >>>>>>>>>> Apple's
2. Number of Microsoft products >>>>>>>>>> Apple's

Microsoft spends more overall than Apple because they have more things to sell.

How is this difficult to understand?

I simply disagree, Apple has just as many products. If you want to get down to it by counting all the software microsoft sells then you have to do the same on the apple side.

Just because microsofts shit is more well known look around at all the shit apple has.

That said, enough with the personal attacks both of you can grow the fuck up.

Talk about targeted advertising, there is a new Mac ad out now that, while it may be entertaining to Mac users, just seems like some big inside joke. Obviously tech savvy PC owners will know this is a slam on the "I’m a PC" and "The Mojave Experiment" but the ad isn’t targeting you and I. Mac people get it…but the ads aren’t intended for people that already own a Mac. So who does that leave us? The average person? No, they wont get it either. This just means Apple and Microsoft’s advertising teams are making ads that directly advertise to each other.

The irony could gag even Justin Long's experienced throat.

Although I'm sure 30 other people have stated this already.

Apple lost all meaning with these commercials now. I even laughed at the orginal ones they first aired, now they are just slamming Microsoft anyway they can. Cry me a river Apple for Microsoft conducting the Mojave experiments and showing what Vista can really do. You just will never learn will you? And thats why you will always come second to Microsoft!

I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit, because I have no problems with Vista.

Oh, I agree, the ads are stupid and Vista, despite the shaky first year out of the gate, is a really good operating system now. I wasn't arguing that point, my statement was in response to people who said that Apple spends more than Microsoft does on advertising. Again, MS spends far more on marketing that Apple does on marketing and R&D combined. That's the only point I was making. The irrelevance and stupidity of the ads themselves are a different issue.

The commercials can be entertaining, but are mostly false. I'm just happy to see someone finally giving microsoft a little, and I do mean little, bit of competition. Although until apple makes their OS compatible with standard PC hardware/software and keeps their prices up in the clouds they can suck my 11th finger.

Here is a post by Haiku from earlier today on Shacknews. He is the guy that does the site design and front end for HardOCP, as well as Shacknews and a bunch of other websites. He is also a die hard Machead, much moreso than I am since that's all he runs (and his Mac Pro with dual 30" ACD setup is sick).

Anyway, he summed up my thoughts very well here: http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=18232552#itemanchor_18232552

TV Spots are the worst design apple does, in my opinion. As someone who buys exclusively apple, I can't stand them using Justin Long to represent me and it's terribly uncreative and sophomoric to use the boring guy in the suit analogy for PC computing.

The all white sets make the characters look like they are floating over nothing and Justin Long's posture looks uncomfortable and forced. The dialogue is forced, poorly written, and takes a back handed approach that undermines the brilliant design and passion their products embody. The agency responsible for this ad campaign has expressed the brand in a trivial and mediocre manner and it's a shame Apple still supports it.

Apple represents a revolution in design and technology. One of the only major fortune 500 companies of their pedigree (nike is up there) and they shouldn't need their competitors products to suck for theirs to be great. Their print and web campaigns and campaigns for things like ipod and iphone are all quite solid but the messaging for OSX is pathetic, and reeks of amateur ad tactics.

I can't say I disagree with any of this. Funny thing is that every other Mac user in that thread is pretty much saying the same thing. Does ANYBODY like those stupid ads?

My army of star-bellied sneetches just shit on everyone who had way too much to say about this ad.

I simply disagree, Apple has just as many products. If you want to get down to it by counting all the software microsoft sells then you have to do the same on the apple side.

Just because microsofts shit is more well known look around at all the shit apple has.

That said, enough with the personal attacks both of you can grow the fuck up.

This isn't a subjective discussion. You can disagree but you're flat out wrong.

If you're too lazy to look at the actual product listings, then look at their balance sheets. Microsoft has 6 times the profit and 3 times the total assets. They make and sell and advertise a ton of stuff.

For the final time, You cannot compare Vista to OSX based on Microsoft's and Apple's total expenses.

And BTW, whoever first quoted that 18:2.6 was misrepresenting the figures. Those numbers fall under "Selling General and Administrative" so aside from the 300M for Vista's new campaign, we really don't know what each company is spending on flat advertising.

And BTW, whoever first quoted that 18:2.6 was misrepresenting the figures. Those numbers fall under "Selling General and Administrative" so aside from the 300M for Vista's new campaign, we really don't know what each company is spending on flat advertising.

I agree with the rest of your post, although the MASSIVE FUCKING CAPS is annoying as hell. Aren't there forum guidelines for that sort of thing?

Anyway, that $18,166M figure in the SEC filings is most definitely their total marketing budget. You can look up the books on any company if you want to. So again, MS spends more on marketing that Apple does on marketing and R&D combined. Microsoft has more to market for while Apple is much more focused in terms of products, but the difference is there nonetheless. Its an important point to make considering there is a false belief that Apple outspends Microsoft in marketing when the absolute opposite is true.

Now, Apple's ads being completely fucking stupid, that's another topic of discussion. :)

I agree with the rest of your post, although the MASSIVE FUCKING CAPS is annoying as hell. Aren't there forum guidelines for that sort of thing?

Anyway, that $18,166M figure in the SEC filings is most definitely their total marketing budget. You can look up the books on any company if you want to. So again, MS spends more on marketing that Apple does on marketing and R&D combined. Microsoft has more to market for while Apple is much more focused in terms of products, but the difference is there nonetheless. Its an important point to make considering there is a false belief that Apple outspends Microsoft in marketing when the absolute opposite is true.

Now, Apple's ads being completely fucking stupid, that's another topic of discussion. :)

Sorry, I've got the page zoomed out in FF. ^^

I'm too lazy to look through the SEC filings, but that was the title its given on Yahoo finance.

You know what jaer, i took your first post out of context with the multiquote. The second post i was responding to your retarded ford vs honda comparison, not the advertising spending. I never doubted who spent more on advertising and i was not arguing about that at all.

My point after the second post was simply that they are selling the same amount of shit to us and that comparison was stupid and it went from there.

You know what jaer, i took your first post out of context with the multiquote. The second post i was responding to your retarded ford vs honda comparison, not the advertising spending. I never doubted who spent more on advertising and i was not arguing about that at all.

My point after the second post was simply that they are selling the same amount of shit to us and that comparison was stupid and it went from there.

I never "got" that FoMoCo vs. Honda reply either....was this supposed to imply that FoMoCo has a much smaller product base and market cap than Honda? If so, that's a bad analogy if you're going on just their website. Grab a FoMoCo annual report and look at Ford's holdings, and not just assume their www.ford.com lists all their holdings just on one site. You think because Honda makes gennies and marine engines and atv's that they have a bigger market cap than Ford? Or annual global sales? Nope.

Why are you even arguing? You know you can't win in a price comparison. That your comeback is "it's only 3x more expensive, not 5" is telling.

Ahhhh I missed this one. No, silly, my comeback is...yes it's 2.5x more expensive, and yet, I'm paying that off in less than 3 days of billable time, with productivity and billable business. I'm not arguing, I'm just assuming that I'm proficient and exacting in the tools I pick for my jobs. Can the $1200 rig in question bill $200/hr for a client that requests Final Cut Studio work? Right tool for the job.

I don't need to win in a price comparison. I win in an, "at the end of the day (a single day) I had $1600 in billable hours" comparison. Anyone on here that does real consulting can attest to that. It's the difference between a hobbyist and a professional.

I don't need to win in a price comparison. I win in an, "at the end of the day (a single day) I had $1600 in billable hours" comparison. Anyone on here that does real consulting can attest to that. It's the difference between a hobbyist and a professional.
In other words, money grows on trees in your world.:rolleyes: Apple aren't targeting professionals with these silly TV ads.

In other words, money grows on trees in your world.:rolleyes: Apple aren't targeting professionals with these silly TV ads.

Nope. The professionals already have their market established. If you're good at what you do, then yes, money grows on trees. If you're a hobbyist, then money grows on other people's trees, and you watch them grow from across the street ---- there is no better analogy than this. You have your own trees, which never flower (or you never take care of them) and after a few years, they die, along with your investment in them. Then you buy new trees.

If you're a professional, then you find ways to make your tree flower. After they do, you have to learn to reach for, pick carefully, and then nurture the branches you feed off of. If you're good, the tree (and fruit) keeps on growing.

Kyle? Steve? Thoughts? Beyond the zealotry, this is what really works.

Probably the most true Mac ad ever.

But that's the point: it's not an ad for Macs, it's an ad against Windows, there's a huge difference there. As for true... uhmmm... it ain't, as obviously pointed out countless times by people that report no issues with Vista to really even mention. It's beyond smoke and mirrors.

It's Kool-Aid and "The Reality Distortion Field" in high gear...

But that's the point: it's not an ad for Macs, it's an ad against Windows, there's a huge difference there. As for true... uhmmm... it ain't, as obviously pointed out countless times by people that report no issues with Vista to really even mention. It's beyond smoke and mirrors.

It's Kool-Aid and "The Reality Distortion Field" in high gear...

Isn't an ad against Windows really an ad for Mac? People certainly aren't going to buy linux. It doesn't matter whether you die hard windows fans hate the ads or not, or whether they have a grain of truth to them, they are clearly working. Just look at Apple's market growth.

apple ads are like political adds.

they lie, or use misstatements or partial truths to say something, then leave you without necessary information, and show you a logo

it like saying X candidate voted against troop funding or money for children's happiness and dreams or whatever, ignoring the fact that a legislator will vote for an against many bills, depending on their content, and may vote for a bill they previously voted against, as it has gone through changes.

i HATE misinformation, it should be punishable by a punch to the crotch.

no one is interested in watching more mac ads.

advertising = lying. so dont post ads as proof of something.

Obviously we're all going to believe the guy who only uses youtube to support his arguments, that's a good one :rolleyes:

Nope. The professionals already have their market established. If you're good at what you do, then yes, money grows on trees. If you're a hobbyist, then money grows on other people's trees, and you watch them grow from across the street ---- there is no better analogy than this. You have your own trees, which never flower (or you never take care of them) and after a few years, they die, along with your investment in them. Then you buy new trees.

Money grows on trees for those that save and invest their money. Spending a lot of money for a Mac to be part of Steve Jobs' "culture" isn't my idea of a wise investment. Computers lose their value to quicky, so spending more for one just because it has the Apple logo on it doesn't make any sense unless you're forced to use one for school, work, etc.

Isn't an ad against Windows really an ad for Mac? People certainly aren't going to buy linux. It doesn't matter whether you die hard windows fans hate the ads or not, or whether they have a grain of truth to them, they are clearly working. Just look at Apple's market growth.
It hurts them in the long run because it's free advertising for Windows. Rather than bash Vista, they should tell people why they need a Mac for everyday use. But, they don't, so they have no reason to buy one. Telling everybody Vista sucks would have worked pre-Internet. There's too much info out there to rebuke their claims. The ads themselves are one big joke on Apple.

Apple's market growth is largely due to iPod sales, not Macs. Macs are still too expensive. The avergage consumer ain't buying a Mac.

The avergage consumer ain't buying a Mac.

O rly?
applenotebooks.jpg

Money grows on trees for those that save and invest their money. Spending a lot of money for a Mac to be part of Steve Jobs' "culture" isn't my idea of a wise investment. Computers lose their value to quicky, so spending more for one just because it has the Apple logo on it doesn't make any sense unless you're forced to use one for school, work, etc.

Wow, you still don't get it. Man, I can't get any simpler of an analogy going here. This isn't about a "culture", this is about using the right tool for a job that pays very well. Again, hobbyist vs. professional. When someone says: "I need post-production edit work in Final Cut Pro, and I'll pay $200 an hour" you use the RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB.

Money also grows on trees for those that spend it for the right tools and training for their professional careers. You don't see many successful carpenters walking aound hammering nails in with large rocks, right?

Were they forced to buy/use one?

The average consumer isn't a college student. How many 18-24 year olds are attending college compared to those that aren't?

Since when did the relatively small percentage of the population commonly known as "college students" suddenly become "the average consumer"? News to me... 'cause... they truly are a very small percentage of the overall consumer base that I'm aware of and deal with on a regular basis.

Now, if you'd say "the average Cult member..." I'd have agreed. ;)

Back