New Mac Ad

Try $3300. And it also makes me $200/hr for video editing. I have a dual-core athlon64. It plays games nice.
Base price of a Mac Pro is $2799. Upgrading to 8GB RAM is $1500 alone; adding in 4 1TB HDDs is another $1650. That's $5949 without even upgrading the video card, which is a freakin' 2600XT.

Apple needs to stop spending $$ on advertising and start lowering their prices. I would really love to get my wife an Apple notebook but when I can buy an equivalent PC notebook for $300-$400 less then their cheapest Mac book -why should I? If anything Apple is out to make more of a profit off of users.

No kidding. I've never been a Mac fan (to say the least), and I really don't get what's so great about them. They cost about twice as much (dollar for dollar, hardware for hardware). So basically you're paying for the software and the namebrand. . . If any Mac users want to set me straight, please do, because I just don't get it. . .

Quiet, actual facts and figures mean nothing here, not when you have the power of fanboy opinion!

Again, MS spends more than Apple does on R&D and marketing combined. Its crazy how some people here will create their own realities to go along with their fanboy preconceptions.

I... uh.... don't understand why you guys are arguing about who spends what on marketing, etc...

I watched the commercial, and Apple is implying that Microsoft is misappropriating funds to marketing and advertising, instead of concentrating on "fixing" Vista.

I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit, because I have no problems with Vista. The target of their advertisement seems to be people who are trying to choose between the two platforms, by using a TV commercial to aid in their decision making.

You know who fits in that category? Casual computer users who don't know what they need, or don't care- because they're just checking email, using office apps, and browsing the web. If you are convinced to use a platform because of a TV commercial, what Vista problems are you worried about????

Seriously. If Vista needs to be fixed... what problems, specifically, does Vista have that would affect a user who would fall into the "I switched platforms because of a TV commercial" category?

Anyone want to answer that? I mean, isn't this the main argument here? Right? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here... jesus christ....

So Apple is heckling MS for advertising? That's rich.

WTH? So this is an advertisement to tell you that the competition spends too much on advertising???

I thought it was quite entertaining.

Apple was beating MS in the advertising (public image) arena, b/c Apple spends so much on marketing, then when MS tries to play a little catch up by spending more on advertising Apple makes fun of them for it.

The pot / black image depicts it perfectly.

Base price of a Mac Pro is $2799. Upgrading to 8GB RAM is $1500 alone; adding in 4 1TB HDDs is another $1650. That's $5949 without even upgrading the video card, which is a freakin' 2600XT.

Wrong, unless you're configging it right from the factory. Who, in all these forums on HardOCP, configs their boxes right from the factory? Seriously.

4 GB (2x2) FB-DIMM kit for Mac Pro = $150
(actually gives me 10 Gigs total, with the RAM from the factory, but who's counting)
1 TB Seagate 32MB cache Sata2 = $130

Who care's that it's a 2600xt? It's not meant to game on. It's meant to work on, and pay the bills. I'm not trying to game on it.

You know who fits in that category? Casual computer users who don't know what they need, or don't care- because they're just checking email, using office apps, and browsing the web. If you are convinced to use a platform because of a TV commercial, what Vista problems are you worried about????

Seriously. If Vista needs to be fixed... what problems, specifically, does Vista have that would affect a user who would fall into the "I switched platforms because of a TV commercial" category?
It comes down to affordability. If you need a new computer and are on a budget you aren't going to buy a Mac no matter how many of those ads you see. Most people don't have the kind of money Apple wants for their computers. With the economy in bad shape, these ads are a complete waste of money. Get a fucking clue, Apple.

Apple are still trying to brainwash people into thinking Vista is a total disaster. That may have worjked a year ago but it's not working anymore. They need to move on and come up with something new. Bashing Vista is old hat.

The point is that Microsoft tries to convince us that Vista is OK, instead of making it OK.
The bottom line is that Vista is a themed up and bloated version of XP, which took 5+ years to develop.
5 years ago Microsoft was promising us a new OS that will be a technological marvel and will leave behind all the competitors like Linux, Apple OS and many more... It's important for you to understand that OS is not only for running games like you do, but it can be used like a server and other mission critical tasks.
After 5 years of promises we get a themed up XP with no advantage whatsoever over 7 year old OS, not to talk about the competitors.

As for me, I find that neither XP nor Vista can cope even with the simplest things like "file copy".

Apple are still trying to brainwash people into thinking Vista is a total disaster. That may have worjked a year ago but it's not working anymore. They need to move on and come up with something new. Bashing Vista is old hat.

Can't disagree with that but keep in mind there are many sheeple out there that will get pulled into the iCult's Reality Distorition Field.

The point is that Microsoft tries to convince us that Vista is OK, instead of making it OK.
The bottom line is that Vista is a themed up and bloated version of XP, which took 5+ years to develop.
5 years ago Microsoft was promising us a new OS that will be a technological marvel and will leave behind all the competitors like Linux, Apple OS and many more... It's important for you to understand that OS is not only for running games like you do, but it can be used like a server and other mission critical tasks.
After 5 years of promises we get a themed up XP with no advantage whatsoever over 7 year old OS, not to talk about the competitors.

As for me, I find that neither XP nor Vista can cope even with the simplest things like "file copy".

You still haven't answered the question: What's broken in Vista?

Hmmm... then maybe your user name is warranted...

I had some problems with vista initially, mostly due to drivers. That's what happens when you are an early adopter. After the sp came out it's been nothing but roses and sunshine for me. When I have to use OSX in my classes, I hate it. Being the frugal bastard I am, I could never bring myself to pay such a mark up for hardware. I love my thinkpad, and I can get thinkpads cheaper than macs with MUCH better specs, and they are higher quality (build quality, hardware, awesome support) and retain their value just as well...

Did McCain fire his campaign staff already and now they're working for Apple?

Wrong, unless you're configging it right from the factory. Who, in all these forums on HardOCP, configs their boxes right from the factory? Seriously.

(actually gives me 10 Gigs total, with the RAM from the factory, but who's counting)
Still adds up to a bit more than $3300. And not everyone who buys a Mac Pro will be thinking about getting their upgrades from another vendor.

Who care's that it's a 2600xt? It's not meant to game on. It's meant to work on, and pay the bills. I'm not trying to game on it.
Then why were you comparing it to some guy's gaming machine? Obviously, your machine will win on specs, but you can find a Windows workstation with the exact same configuration. That 4870 X2 is something no Mac user has.

Maybe that's because you haven't been looking at the sales figures.

Apple's U.S. market share was 9.5 percent in the Q3, 2008, compared to 7.7 percent a year ago. That's a 29.4 percent growth rate. The average growth rate for HP, Dell, Acer and Toshiba was 6.3 percent. Source: Gartner

Someone likes the ads.

Keep calling Apple stupid, but Microsoft (and most other companies) would love Apple's growth. And before you spout off that MS has a dominant market share, every company still needs to grow, no matter how big. MS is so big and bloated, growth is very difficult, and that is not good for stock price.

Their ads are pretty successful but the downside to an ad campaign based on lies and FUD is that all alot of the converts because of those ads will realise they where suckered and never buy from them again. Im willing to bet that in the next couple years that growth will dwindle down to nothing and probably reverse. So they can pat themselves on the back now but they fucked themselves in the long run. Thankfully they have the Ipod to fall back on.

How many video game consoles does Apple produce?

One of the dumbest statements in this thread...

So apple dont have any game consoles, they just have the silly old ipod and iphone which make them more money than microsoft could ever dream of making off the Xbox 360.

This sums you up pretty well.

You know absolutely nothing about vista, XP or even OSX for that matter. I could go through point by point and show you how little you really know and prove you entirely wrong but i have a feeling you already know and im certain the rest of the forum has you pegged as well.

So instead ill ask the same question others have asked, Whats so broken in vista?

My top 3:
Explorer folder views
Waking from sleep
UAC

Explorer folder views seem fine to most so not broken.

Well my sleep works fine and yours should also as long as you have proper drivers but thats not vista's problem thats the hardware you run. So count that out.
Most people blame vista for fails but its not that that fails its poorly writen program/code/drivers and that is a fact.

UAC stops even the most hardcore rootkits and kids from allowing crapware .So thats not broken either may need some fine tune which it's getting. But far from broken.

One of the dumbest statements in this thread...

So apple dont have any game consoles, they just have the silly old ipod and iphone which make them more money than microsoft could ever dream of making off the Xbox 360.

If you weren't a complete moron, you'd understand the context of my post. You can't compare the advertising figures of Microsoft and Apple because MS is trying to sell many more products, including the Xbox which eats up an extremely large portion of that advertising budget.

It's like trying to compare Ford Motor's budget to Honda's budget, including their motorcycle division, powersport division, generator division, airplane division, etc.

And trust me, you really don't want to bring up the iPod in a debate of marketing vs. performance.

Explorer folder views seem fine to most so not broken.
So when I have a folder with 40 different files types and 1 .mp3 and Vista labels that folder as a music folder it's not broken? This is regardless of the fact that I should be able to turn that auto view settings off.

Well my sleep works fine and yours should also as long as you have proper drivers but thats not vista's problem thats the hardware you run. So count that out.
Most people blame vista for fails but its not that that fails its poorly writen program/code/drivers and that is a fact.

So sleep worked in XP, with same exact hardware but it doesn't work in Vista, and that's the drivers problem? The majority of the drivers are the same.

UAC stops even the most hardcore rootkits and kids from allowing crapware .So thats not broken either may need some fine tune which it's getting. But far from broken.

UAC has shown it's worthless. Those who know what they're doing turn it off, and those that don't ignore it and just hit allow anyway. So yeah, it's fundamentally broken.

If it worked in xp does not mean it will work in vista, mostly because the drivers are not writen right.
my sleep has worked from day one. oh also hardware such as motherboard are at fault. so buy a better mainboard that has support for sleep.
trust me its drivers that stop sleep not vista.

I stand by the rest as well.

I don't have any issues in any operating system i run.... I wonder why.

UAC works fine, Sleep from wake... works on both my laptops (one vista and one XP)... never had an issue with explorer.

Its funny because the biggest issue with Vista right now is in the PR department. I've been running it on my main machine since SP1 came out and have had a wonderful experience with it. Their money is probably better off spent on marketing it.

I don't have any issues in any operating system i run.... I wonder why.

You're obviously a superior human being and in no way indicative of the common human rabble and their mundane computing experiences. We average mortals can only hope to someday achieve your superior computing prowess.

You're obviously a superior human being and in no way indicative of the common human rabble and their mundane computing experiences. We average mortals can only hope to someday achieve your superior computing prowess.

Or maybe you suck at computers? Hey it works both ways.

Just an idea: if you use this forum the way you're supposed to, like seeking help with issues you're having instead of running your mouth about how your experience reflects the multitude (believe me, it doesn't come close) and how badly Microsoft suck, your issues would've been long gone by now.

Unless of course you're just making it all up because you're like that kid in the back seat who likes to poke your little sister next to you just to get her all riled up.

Unless of course you're just making it all up because you're like that kid in the back seat who likes to poke your little sister next to you just to get her all riled up.

And yet, you just keep coming back for more. *poke*

If it worked in xp does not mean it will work in vista, mostly because the drivers are not writen right.
my sleep has worked from day one. oh also hardware such as motherboard are at fault. so buy a better mainboard that has support for sleep.
trust me its drivers that stop sleep not vista.

I stand by the rest as well.
I think you've described one of the main reasons people will pay extra for the Mac hardware, the idea that it just works(though this isn't always true, especially when it comes to printers). The most important components of a Mac are controlled and there aren't generally as many hardware/driver problems. Auto shutdown and startup are pretty much always going to work. For the majority of computer users all that "should" matter is whether their computer does what they want without them having to reach for a manual, call tech support, or beg the neighbor kid to come help fix it. Apple has done a pretty good job of convincing people that Mac's do just that.

For those wanting to know what's wrong with Vista, I'd say the biggest problem at the moment is perception. It doesn't matter how advanced and stable it is if everyone thinks it's crap. And that's what Apple is capitalizing on. I can't say I blame them. Heck, Microsoft's mojave experiment shows that they realize this too.

Personally I think all the major OSs have their place, and trying to argue over which one is best is pointless. The all have strong and weak points. When I want to get work done I go to my pc. When I'm working with media I go to my mac, and when I want stability I look to linux. My DVR is a MythTV linux box, my home movies and music are on my mac, and my development is done on my XP laptop(don't have a machine with the hardware to handle Vista yet). They all do there respective jobs very well, but in general I wouldn't want to do those jobs on another platform.

These ads are evoking a WTF? attitude about macs these days... I mean Apple is pretty much on the verge of simply being a OS maker that also sells hardware...

I don't have any practical use for a Mac, but I love 'em. As a PC user, I don't resent any of Apple's ads in the least. If I could run ALL of my games and apps. in OSX, i'd buy a Mac Pro today.

These ads are evoking a WTF? attitude about macs these days... I mean Apple is pretty much on the verge of simply being a OS maker that also sells hardware...

An OS maker? Really? I've never seen an OSX commercial, ever. With all the advertising they do, how could anyone know that considering their own commercials have never advertised their own OS but instead focuses on the hardware... weird twist of irony, ain't it?

Yeah, well I'm a MacPro, with Dually Quad Xeon 2.8's, 8 gigs of server-class RAM, and Quad-1Terabyte sata2 drives. I handbrake a 2 hour move to h264 for a 480p set-top box in under 16 minutes, with 2-pass and 5.1 audio encoded. I also edit hi-def video using Final Cut Studio, which is then exported and sent off for DVD pressing and digital-to-film processing for distribution.

If this news below is true then I guess that I might be able to do that with my 2.4 teraFLOPS HD 4870 X2 soon.

There's another side to this coin though and that's AMD. The company said that it was working with Adobe to accelerate Photoshop and video encoding on Radeon graphics cards during its RV770 event in Malaga. However, before going to press, we spoke to AMD to ask if it was GPU-accelerating the application and, if so, how.

An AMD representative came back to us, saying that "We are working closely with Adobe, but we are not in a position to discuss specific products at this stage. Hopefully, this means that AMD can use its Radeon graphics cards to accelerate these applications just like Nvidia has done – as soon as we know more, you'll be the first to be told.

Anyway, since I'm a PC, I can always get an nVidia GPU to do the job just like mentioned below:
What's more Elemental—the company behind Badaboom, the CUDA-accelerated video transcoding application—has released a RapiHD plug-in for Premiere Pro CS4 that apparently increases encoding performance by a factor of seven over a CPU. I'm not sure what h.264 profile the plug-in uses, though, but we do know that the Premiere Pro plug-in is only compatible with Nvidia Quadro GPUs – GeForce users need not apply.

My top 3:
Explorer folder views
Waking from sleep
UAC

Folder views is fine for me.

I've never had a problem with sleep in MANY different hardware configs. WIth XP it sucked, with vista it's worked from the start for me.

I like security.....

Clearly you're dong it wrong!

Back on topic, I don't like Macs because of the price. I wouldn't mind paying a $100 or so premium to get a mac but when I'm paying twice as much just to get the mac OS I'll just build a hackintosh thank you very much.

Not gonna lie, I laughed at that ad. I'm not an Apple fan nor do I entirely favor Microsoft but the mere comedic pun is suitable for being stuck at school for hours on end.

*continues to type on a PC*

If you weren't a complete moron, you'd understand the context of my post. You can't compare the advertising figures of Microsoft and Apple because MS is trying to sell many more products, including the Xbox which eats up an extremely large portion of that advertising budget.

It's like trying to compare Ford Motor's budget to Honda's budget, including their motorcycle division, powersport division, generator division, airplane division, etc.

And trust me, you really don't want to bring up the iPod in a debate of marketing vs. performance.

What the fuck are you talking about? All in all microsoft and apple are selling about the same amount of shit. Microsoft is selling operating systems and consoles, apple is selling computers, laptops, MP3 players and phones.

You really think the advertising costs for the 360 is more than the advertising costs for the ipod and iphone?

What the fuck are you talking about? All in all microsoft and apple are selling about the same amount of shit. Microsoft is selling operating systems and consoles, apple is selling computers, laptops, MP3 players and phones.

You really think the advertising costs for the 360 is more than the advertising costs for the ipod and iphone?

wtf are you talkin about?

Microsoft sells quite a bit more that the four items you listed from apple.

Client OS
Server OS
Zune
Office for Windows
Office for Mac
MSSQL
Exchange
Windows Mobile
Student Software/Education
and a ton of other Biz Software you have prob never heard of. The list goes on...

Not that I know what either companies budgets are, but to imply that MS only sells 4 products, well...you sir, are a moron.

btw, I'm a PC. Almost bought a Mac once, to run vista on it of course. Then i talked to an Apple Genuis, because I figured I would be running OSX every once in a while...meh, the guy was uninformed. OSX looked nice, but if he couldnt tell me how to use it, I didnt want to lose productivity figuring it out.

Look, you're simply wrong. Go to the press release product pages of both companies if you'd like.

I understand that you want to save face and you probably wish you could edit your posts right about now, but you can't so the best course of action is simply to stop posting in this thread and hope we forget all the stupid things you've said.

Back