New Lian Li PC- Q11 itx case : Specification & Feature

Since one of my LEDs died, I took the time to take it apart and it appears that a 3mm LED is what they used. I have a couple of ones on the way to me. I will update after the parts arrive.

Are those standard shape ("bell-shaped") 3mm LEDs?
Are they soldered or just inserted in a socket of some kind?

It is 1.5mm leds that look like this. I haven't been able to find any other source for these types of leds or replacements from Lian Li. Right now, my PC-Q11 is sitting gathering dust while I look for new leds. An alternative that I'm considering are these.

dokebi, are LEDs inserted into some sort of a socket, or are they soldered? Quite honestly, I too looked into a possibility of putting white LEDs in there (did that on A05NB and it looked a lot classier than with red and blue LEDs) ... but I don't recall the switch assembly being "serviceable". Did you manage to open it? Have pictures?

They are inserted into the switch assembly pretty tight and soldered/wired on the other end that goes to the motherboard headers. I unsoldered the wires and pulled mine out with thin pliers. I also drilled the existing holes for the switch with some .5mm drill bits to make inserting replacement led legs easier.

I grinded down multiple 3mm leds as much as I could and it wouldn't work because its still too large. The button itself relies on the switch assembly being able to move freely which requires a very small led. IMO, the button/light on the Q11 is a halfassed and strange design.

just got done installing a corsair h60 into my case. used the koolance 120mm to 140mm adapter to a noiseblocker 120mm MP-12 to the h60 rad (the fan btw is very quiet). also got a 140mm round demcifilter for easier cleaning. it dosent sit properly unless trimmed though.

i used the orignal screws with those bushing things that is used to hold the stock 140mm fan in its place on the koolance adapter. with this setup i had plenty of clearance for my cables with my 500watt modular silverstone psu.

ran occt cpu stress test for 30mins and max temps reached by one of the cores was 67 degrees celsius. a very good improvement from my shuriken rev.b that wouldnt even run such a test for 3mins without reaching TJmax.

cpu i have is the i5 2500k.

just got done installing a corsair h60 into my case. used the koolance 120mm to 140mm adapter to a noiseblocker 120mm MP-12 to the h60 rad (the fan btw is very quiet). also got a 140mm round demcifilter for easier cleaning. it dosent sit properly unless trimmed though.

i used the orignal screws with those bushing things that is used to hold the stock 140mm fan in its place on the koolance adapter. with this setup i had plenty of clearance for my cables with my 500watt modular silverstone psu.

cpu i have is the i5 2500k.

Would you be so kind to take a picture of the setup? :)

^no problem

3NqWOl.jpg

VqjUKl.jpg

fSyc9l.jpg

uD3CDl.jpg

Y1BxLl.jpg

could have used my 140mm to do a 140mm>koolance adapter>h60 rad cofiguration but i would have needed to get longer screws to attach the rad, but instead with a 120mm fan i was able to use the screws that were provided with the h60.

Thanks for the pics, I'm planning on using the same PSU as you have (since it's the shortest I can find at 500W) with a Kuhler 620. I'll have to pick up the Koolance adapter; I like it since it's very thin!

Thanks for the pics, I'm planning on using the same PSU as you have (since it's the shortest I can find at 500W) with a Kuhler 620. I'll have to pick up the Koolance adapter; I like it since it's very thin!

have one here i never used as this was my plan with the Q11 case i did own.

Jen

There is a nexus compact 630W on Amazon... (at least there was, recently...)

*much* shorter, but still fits ATX bracket.

There is a nexus compact 630W on Amazon... (at least there was, recently...)

*much* shorter, but still fits ATX bracket.

Not modular though ... and the cable clutter is probably worse than extra 0.6" of the PSU length.

Fascinating thread - lots of ingenuity - grateful for any views on the following, as a basis for a hackintosh for video, gaming and general use:

Lian Li PC-Q11 Black Aluminium HTPC Case USB3.0
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 2600K
Gigabyte Radeon HD6850 1GB Overclocked
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD 2.5"
Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 7200RPM
Thermalright AXP-140-RT CPU Cooler with a Scythe 120mm Slipstream Slim (12mm depth) 1600RPM Fan
Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU

regards

Bob

Fascinating thread - lots of ingenuity - grateful for any views on the following, as a basis for a hackintosh for video, gaming and general use:

Intel Core i7 2600K
Thermalright AXP-140-RT CPU Cooler with a Scythe 120mm Slipstream Slim (12mm depth) 1600RPM Fan

regards

Bob

The video card is not going to fit length-wise

Is this because of the position of the power plug - which is on the end? http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3630#sp gives card length as 230 mm, which would give 1 to 1.5 cm clearance for plug, which I was kinda hoping would be sufficient.

Any way, thanks and I will keep looking...

If it's 230mm, then it may fit (though the power connector may be an issue) .. Quite frankly, I looked at the newegg.com listing of the card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353) -- it does not specify the length, but I got the impression that the card is longer than 230mm (which would be the practical limit) .. perhaps, I jumped to conclusion.

Hi I currently have a SG05 and love the form factor but the PSU is too noisey really so I'm thinking of moving to a Q11 with a fanless Seasonic PSU. I was wondering if anyone is running a similar set up, the PC sit's about a foot away from me so want it to be as quiet as possible. Any help gratefully received

Hi I currently have a SG05 and love the form factor but the PSU is too noisey really so I'm thinking of moving to a Q11 with a fanless Seasonic PSU. I was wondering if anyone is running a similar set up, the PC sit's about a foot away from me so want it to be as quiet as possible. Any help gratefully received

Since my AC isn't on all day during the summer, a fanless PSU in this case would be a nightmare for me. The fans on both PSU's that I've experimented with the case tend to get loud and vent a lot of hot air if I'm doing anything more strenuous than browsing. IMO, this case needs an exhaust fan on top instead of a cdrom bay. :eek:

Mine is not noisy. Sure it's not your GPU?

Intel Core i7 2600K

regards

Bob

Unless I'm missing something, I see 2 things wrong with your build:

1) Q11 is a mini-ITX case. The motherboard is micro-ATX. Some people did try to jam a mATX board into the case but had to sacrifice the hard drive mount and the front USB ports.

2) That particular Corsair Vengeance RAMs are too tall for the AXP-140. Maybe go for the low profile version instead.

Unless I'm missing something, I see 2 things wrong with your build:

1) Q11 is a mini-ITX case. The motherboard is micro-ATX. Some people did try to jam a mATX board into the case but had to sacrifice the hard drive mount and the front USB ports.

2) That particular Corsair Vengeance RAMs are too tall for the AXP-140. Maybe go for the low profile version instead.

Doh... Back to the drawing board - getting the right RAM is no prob but the MB is key to the hackintosh ease of install - I will need to see if I can track down a compatible board with the right form factor - thanks all for the feed back - saved me $$$ and time

Doh... Back to the drawing board - getting the right RAM is no prob but the MB is key to the hackintosh ease of install - I will need to see if I can track down a compatible board with the right form factor - thanks all for the feed back - saved me $$$ and time

Ok - some revisions (and thanks for the advice)

Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 Mini-ITX Motherboard (so it will fit!)

Intel Core i5 2500K (to help keep temps / cost down)

G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 (for clearance)

Antec KUHLER H2O 620 CPU Cooler (a better option?)

Gigabyte Radeon HD6850 1GB Overclocked (if it is not really 23 cm, I can swap it for a 5770 from another box)

Silverstone ST45SF 450W SFX (more space / lower cost)

Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 7200RPM (data), Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD (OS 10.7)

Western Digital My Book Essential USB3.0 2TB (for external backup)

ASUS VE278Q 27in Widescreen LED Monitor (with the money saved!)

Thanks again - any additional comments appreciated

Last edited:
Just built a new system with this case. Has an i3-2100, 8GB RAM, and a Corsair HX520.

Moreover it also has an EVGA GTX 570 HD Superclocked. This was the best decision EVER.

...That is until I turned it on. During gaming (2560x1600) it sounds like a Dyson about 2 inches from my face. For those to don't get it, it's REALLY REALLY LOUD.

Now I'm regretting purchasing this card, and I'm looking at the MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III PE/OC. Dual 80mm fans sound nice on paper, but how do they sound in real life? Does anyone have this setup in a Q11?

For what it's worth, my ambients are ~76*F. Idle on the EVGA is at 40*C, load has it pushing 80*C, with the fan running in stock setup.

Help?

Last edited:
Just built a new system with this case. Has an i3-2100, 8GB RAM, and a Corsair HX520.

Moreover it also has an EVGA GTX 570 HD Superclocked. This was the best decision EVER.

...That is until I turned it on. During gaming (2560x1600) it sounds like a Dyson about 2 inches from my face. For those to don't get it, it's REALLY REALLY LOUD.

Now I'm regretting purchasing this card, and I'm looking at the MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III PC/OC. Dual 80mm fans sound nice on paper, but how do they sound in real life? Does anyone have this setup in a Q11?

For what it's worth, my ambients are ~76*F. Idle on the EVGA is at 40*C, load has it pushing 80*C, with the fan running in stock setup.

Help?

Will the MSI card fit?

Have you considered aftermarket cooling? The Thermalright shaman should fit on your card (You'd have to move your hard drives).

Will the MSI card fit?

Have you considered aftermarket cooling? The Thermalright shaman should fit on your card (You'd have to move your hard drives).

The MSI card SHOULD fit. The MSI website lists it as 243mm long, with power connectors on the top of the card (rather than the back as it is with the EVGA). There's about 250mm available in the case.

Hard drives shouldn't be a problem since i just have an SSD on the bottom.

Oh, and I don't wanna go aftermarket cooling. I just want the plug-n-play simplicity.

The MSI card SHOULD fit. The MSI website lists it as 243mm long, with power connectors on the top of the card (rather than the back as it is with the EVGA). There's about 250mm available in the case.

I'd be interested to see if it actually fits. I have seen some pics and it looks more like 10" (254mm) and not 243mm (9.6"). Take a look at the measured one on this forum: http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/989946-msi-gtx-570-twin-frozr-iii.html
Might be a squeeze! maybe need to file down some of the metal cover on the card!

I myself have an EVGA GTX 570 HD and I agree. Super loud when under stress and high temps! I need to wear headphones if I'm playing a really intensive game.

I'd be interested to see if it actually fits. I have seen some pics and it looks more like 10" (254mm) and not 243mm (9.6"). Take a look at the measured one on this forum: http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/989946-msi-gtx-570-twin-frozr-iii.html
Might be a squeeze! maybe need to file down some of the metal cover on the card!

I myself have an EVGA GTX 570 HD and I agree. Super loud when under stress and high temps! I need to wear headphones if I'm playing a really intensive game.

Ah, good that you pointed that picture out. It looks like it's maybe 9.9" or something... AND Amazon just upped the price from 325 to 370. Looks like I'm just going to rock the 570HD.

*sigh* Do you know if the Zalman VF3000F is compatible with the 570HD? This looks like my only option.

I am thinking of building a Q11 as my main gaming rig. Tired of lugging midtowers to lan parties.

Q11
Silverstone 450w SFX psu
Zotac H67 board
i7-2600K - Yes I know not an overclockable board. Only $15 more then non K and get a free stick of ram.
2x4gb Kingston 1333 DDR3 low profile
OCZ 120gb Sata2 SSD - I already have this from a different build that is why it is not Sata3
500GB Seagate Momentus XT
Zotac GTX 560ti Amp edition - 950mhz core
DVD-RW

Any issues anyone can see?

Last edited:
I am thinking of building a Q11 as my main gaming rig. Tired of lugging midtowers to lan parties.

Q11
Silverstone 450w SFX psu
Zotac H67 board
i7-2600K - Yes I know not an overclockable board. Only $15 more then non K and get a free stick of ram.
2x4gb Kingston 1333 DDR3 low profile
OCZ 120gb Sata2 SSD - I already have this from a different build that is why it is not Sata3
500GB Seagate Momentus XT
Zotac GTX 560ti Amp edition - 950mhz core
DVD-RW

Any issues anyone can see?

That's pretty similar to mine actually. I don't see any major issues other than you may want to consider a cpu cooler - the 2600k may be fine with the stock one given the extra airflow you'll have with the smaller psu? Also, 50 or so more dollars to get a 570 which is a pretty decent jump in performance for the price, if a powerful gaming machine is the goal here. Not too sure how loud the zotac 570 is but assuming it's similar to the EVGA one, then prepare for a bit of an increase in fan noise.

Ah, good that you pointed that picture out. It looks like it's maybe 9.9" or something... AND Amazon just upped the price from 325 to 370. Looks like I'm just going to rock the 570HD.

*sigh* Do you know if the Zalman VF3000F is compatible with the 570HD? This looks like my only option.

Well, I was kind of being serious about filing down the twin frozr III metal case. It looks as though the actual card itself is probably the 243mm that MSI says, it's just the metal cover that goes a bit beyond that dimension. If you had a Dremel or equivalent then maybe you could.. But alas, if you don't want to pay the added price difference for it + destroy your warranty by cutting it up just to see if you can get it to fit, then avoid it.

You may have to do some modding to get the VF3000F to fit the 570HD but have not read anywhere of anyone actually doing it.

That's pretty similar to mine actually. I don't see any major issues other than you may want to consider a cpu cooler - the 2600k may be fine with the stock one given the extra airflow you'll have with the smaller psu? Also, 50 or so more dollars to get a 570 which is a pretty decent jump in performance for the price, if a powerful gaming machine is the goal here. Not too sure how loud the zotac 570 is but assuming it's similar to the EVGA one, then prepare for a bit of an increase in fan noise.

The 560ti drives my 30in dell just fine. And according to tomshardware charts the Zotac 560ti Amp is only a couple of frames slower in most things then the GTX570. but uses 30% less power at idle.

As far as a cooler I am undicided.

So I was thinking of putting one of these together, seems pretty similar to the few listed above, but thought I might as well have someone else look it over. Below is the part list.
Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19pE

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe SCSK-1100 11.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.56 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card ($337.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q11B Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard(not on pcpartpicker) ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT LGA 1155

ac82, I will let you know about that Asrock Z68 board. I have switched to it as it is hugely cheaper, and I am not worried about the 2 Sata ports or wifi that i will not get.

Okay, so contrary to my last post, i bit the bullet and bought the 570 TFiii. Sadly (for me), you're right. It's too close to 10" (around 9.8") It's literally about 3-4mm too long. And (more props to you), shaving off the cooler is most definitely an option. But alas, isn't an option I'm willing to do. So back goes the TFiii, and in goes the 570HD.

I think as a final remedy, I'm going to get a pair of 50mm fans and just ziptie them to the left side of the case. I'll have them exhausting the hot air produced by the 570HD. It may be a couple weeks until this happens though, but I'll keep you updated.

So I was thinking of putting one of these together, seems pretty similar to the few listed above, but thought I might as well have someone else look it over. Below is the part list.
Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19pE

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe SCSK-1100 11.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.56 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card ($337.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q11B Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard(not on pcpartpicker) ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT LGA 1155

Sorry ac82, but the regular GTX 570 isn't going to fit in this case. You'll have to get the GTX 570HD, which is around 9". It's a tight squeeze, and the downside is that it's stupid loud, but it's the most powerful card you can cram into this case at the moment.

Some of the Overclocked GTX560ti cards are nearly as fast as the GTX 570 and are not loud. Example, the Zotac AMP! GTX 560TI is within 1-3 FPS in most tests on Tomshardware against the GTX 570. And mine is nearly silent.

Are none of you guys having problems with cooling in this case? I put a i3 2100 with a stock 2600k sink and it reaches 70+ celsius with 22c ambient room temp. The psu fan also goes crazy and its inadequate for venting the hot air from gpu and cpu. The front fan basicially recirculates hot air that is already in the case not to mention that half the flow is blocked by the psu and memory. This trash is going in the closet until I feel like cutting out a top exhaust. :(

Back