New Lian Li PC- Q11 itx case : Specification & Feature

I have been reading this thread pretty thoroughly (at least I hope so!) as I have been eying the Q11 for a while. Finally bought one but it is taking forever to ship (got the silver one so it's shipping from Taiwan).

I have in the meantime bought the components and would like to hear what people think of them so far! I'm somewhat nervous though as I'm not the most experienced person with building my own rigs but hope this thread has done me well enough. I was inspired by Tweakzz' set up that used an H50. I want it powerful but also quite cool. I game a bit and do a lot of graphics and some 3d modeling.

MB: Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 Mini ITX
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB
RAM: Corsair XMS 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333
PSU: Corsair Professional HX650W (maybe a bit much?)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 120GB 2.5IN SATA2
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM 3.5IN SATA
DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA
FAN: Coolermaster Blade Master 120 Black 120MM 600-2000RPM
CPU COOLING: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 High Performance CPU Cooler System

In total, including shipping, shipping insurance, and tax, it was about $1600 CDN ordered online. After some mail in rebates I can get it down to about 1500. Not too shabby..

So I ended up putting the thing together.. I went with a corsair TX650W instead for the PSU. It was quite a pain seeing how this was really my first PC build ever, but I managed. It was frustrating at times though.. The case barely shuts and the EVGA GTX570HD BARELY fit in the case. with the power plugged in it was extremely tight.

Booted it up and everything went well however one major problem! Anywhere from 2-5 minutes into using windows 7, my monitor loses all video connection and turns black regardless what I'm doing - surfing the web, opening a program etc. The computer seems to still be on as the fans are still running and power light and HDD light is still on. But the only way to get my monitor working is to do a reboot. Tried plugging them into everything. I tried two different monitors, both at the same time etc. Same thing happens. all monitors plugged in go black and lose video connection... I've scoured the net but can't quite find an answer. Could this be a PSU problem? Hardware damage (I was a bit rough on the stuff getting chords and cooler in there over the video card and whatnot but I don't know)? As I mentioned, the GPU was very tight in there to the point where the power plugs (2x 6 pin connectors) for it had to be crushed in there to even have the video card fit. Could very bent wires be an issue? anyone heard of this? My pecs are above (although as mentioned, went non modular with the PSU) and have the newest drivers installed, though it did it before I even installed it. It's such a tight and packed build that the thought of opening it and taking it apart again is so exhausting!

thanks...

So I ended up putting the thing together.. I went with a corsair TX650W instead for the PSU. It was quite a pain seeing how this was really my first PC build ever, but I managed. It was frustrating at times though.. The case barely shuts and the EVGA GTX570HD BARELY fit in the case. with the power plugged in it was extremely tight.

Booted it up and everything went well however one major problem! Anywhere from 2-5 minutes into using windows 7, my monitor loses all video connection and turns black regardless what I'm doing - surfing the web, opening a program etc. The computer seems to still be on as the fans are still running and power light and HDD light is still on. But the only way to get my monitor working is to do a reboot. Tried plugging them into everything. I tried two different monitors, both at the same time etc. Same thing happens. all monitors plugged in go black and lose video connection... I've scoured the net but can't quite find an answer. Could this be a PSU problem? Hardware damage (I was a bit rough on the stuff getting chords and cooler in there over the video card and whatnot but I don't know)? As I mentioned, the GPU was very tight in there to the point where the power plugs (2x 6 pin connectors) for it had to be crushed in there to even have the video card fit. Could very bent wires be an issue? anyone heard of this? My pecs are above (although as mentioned, went non modular with the PSU) and have the newest drivers installed, though it did it before I even installed it. It's such a tight and packed build that the thought of opening it and taking it apart again is so exhausting!

thanks...

have you tried just going in to bios and letting it sit there to see if it still looses video signal? thats what i would do at this point

Jen

have you tried just going in to bios and letting it sit there to see if it still looses video signal? thats what i would do at this point

Jen

Yeah and it still loses video signal in bios! I thought it didn't before but I guess I didn't wait long enough. Took about 5 minutes to happen, though time it happens is pretty random.

bah.. I guess I'll open it up and tinker a bit. I'll check all the power connections, though I don't know if this could be the problem...

Last edited:
Yeah and it still loses video signal in bios! I thought it didn't before but I guess I didn't wait long enough. Took about 5 minutes to happen, though time it happens is pretty random.

bah.. I guess I'll open it up and tinker a bit. I'll check all the power connections, though I don't know if this could be the problem...

So browsing another forum, I came across someone with the exact same issue, down to every detail, posted about a year ago. I messaged him and he promptly replied saying it turned out to be the connection of his video card to the pci-e port.

I opened up my case and saw that the video card was bent a bit downward (I knew this before but I thought that was about as good as it would get since it barely fit in there). I figured this might be an issue with the contacts on the pci-e slot (duh). I pulled up on the card to try to straighten it as best as possible and heard a loud crack sound. It did straighten but needless to say I pooped my pants in fear thinking I totally broke something. Booted up my machine, and have not since had the problem! It has been on about an hour or so - so fingers crossed! it is also laying on it's side with the side panel open right now but I'm assuming this fixed the issue! very excited.. lets hope this is permanent.

picked up a white q11 for $99 through the egg, it looks sweet, just have to finalize some parts and it'll be up and running!

Hey guys just wondering if anyone here has a LIAN LI PC-Q11W (White) version case? Going by newegg website you really can not see the detail of this case. My question is the case have a brushed white aluminum look to it? Or is it painted white? I also noticed the buttons look white compared to the normal silver with blue led look etc.. If anyone can link a me some close up pix would be awesome. Of course when I want to buy this case newegg finally lowers the price down to $100 bucks and now it is out of stock... All the other stores want over $150.00 for this case..

Thanks

Hey guys just wondering if anyone here has a LIAN LI PC-Q11W (White) version case? Going by newegg website you really can not see the detail of this case. My question is the case have a brushed white aluminum look to it? Or is it painted white? I also noticed the buttons look white compared to the normal silver with blue led look etc.. If anyone can link a me some close up pix would be awesome. Of course when I want to buy this case newegg finally lowers the price down to $100 bucks and now it is out of stock... All the other stores want over $150.00 for this case..

Thanks

I think It's shiny white. I'm bummed out that I missed the sale and now OOS

Ya, sorry guys, my color choice plans got changed to white at the same time as dale, plus 20% off coupon. Anyway, it is a glossy white, and the buttons are silver. Still wrapped in plastic here, so no pics yet. Check lian-li's website, for some good ones.

Hi all:

I am looking to build a simple system in a Q11, using an IGP and a PicoPSU. My main goal is silence. I want the system to be totally inaudible from 2 feet away. I was thinking I could use a tower cooler and a single internal fan. Any suggestions on an inaudible cooling solution that will fit in the case?

It will be running an i5-2300 or an i3-2100, BluRay, 1 SSD and 1 2 TB 3.5" HDD.

Thanks.

It sounds like you want more of a fan recommendation, no the cooler/heatsink. Rule is simple, large diameter, slow/adjustable RPM. I'd say Thermalright AXP-140 (though it's not a tower) may work ok ... Have you checked that the Pico PSU you plan to go with (I have not seen many rated above 150W) meets the peak requirements of your system?

It sounds like you want more of a fan recommendation, no the cooler/heatsink. Rule is simple, large diameter, slow/adjustable RPM. I'd say Thermalright AXP-140 (though it's not a tower) may work ok ... Have you checked that the Pico PSU you plan to go with (I have not seen many rated above 150W) meets the peak requirements of your system?

Without a graphics card, I won't come close to 150W. The new SB processors and MB's are incredibly energy efficient.

I wasn't sure if all of the available heatsinks would fit into the Q11. Does your rec for the AXP-140 mean that I should go with a low profile cooler in it?

Thanks.

Without a graphics card, I won't come close to 150W. The new SB processors and MB's are incredibly energy efficient.

I wasn't sure if all of the available heatsinks would fit into the Q11. Does your rec for the AXP-140 mean that I should go with a low profile cooler in it?

Thanks.

Well ... with the HDD and bluray spinning up, CPU being loaded, a couple of things being charged through USB ports ... dunno .. maybe make some room for an upgrade (vid. card, HDD) ..

The beauty of the AXP-140 is that while it's pretty massive, it can be used with a slim fan and a standard ATX PSU in the case .. or one can, perhaps, run it passively ... depends on the CPU, obviously ... but may be a possibility for i3-2100. I think there are some pics of it used with Q11 earlier in this thread.

After a week of serious edumacation, here is what I am thinking of for my Q11 build. I gravitated towards this case precisely because it is small and unobtrusive and therefore can blend in without drawing much attention. I live in the city so space is a premium, my "computer desk" is also my breakfast table, so let's just say compactness is a prerequisite. My needs are primarily for a linux development workstation, which means write code, watch it compile, and test out various servers, but I also want/need to dual boot into win7 for the occasional gaming break.

Case: The Lian Li PC-Q11
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W has enough power and is only 140mm vs. the 160mm of most PSUs in this class. With this case, I fully expect 2cm to make a big difference. I want ample airflow from the front case fan without a massive power supply brick blocking it. I have also decided to go non-modular, because the modular plugs actually make things worse by adding extra length due to the connections.
CPU: i5-2500. For me, OCing is not a big deal and in the Q11 probably not advisable, so no reason for the k-series. I debated going i3 since that is really all the proc power I need, but the i5 is really the sweet spot right now so there's no reason to be a wuss. Besides, I'd feel awful if I got an i3 and still had bad temps in the case. At least with an i5 if I have temp problems I can at least feel like it's worth it. Plus, from what I've heard the i5 stock cooler beats the i3.
Mobo: Asus P8H67-I Deluxe. Purely on brand affinity, I know nothing of Zotac or ASRock so I'd prefer the devil I know. Gigabyte has been my preferred mobo vendor for a long time, but reviews of their H67 board have been lackluster. Also, wifi on the Asus is a nice bonus.
GPU: 460. For purely religious reasons, I prefer Nvidia and the 460 is the best price for performance. In fact I don't need half it's performance, but there's no point in dropping down to a previous generation, because the 460 runs cooler and with less power. The 5 series is too expensive and still doesn't beat the 460.
RAM: 8GB of any 1333 with good reviews.
Storage: 160GB Intel 320 series SSD plus a 1TB spinner. 7200 for me, I can't stand those slow laptop "green" drives.
Plus, a commodity optical drive, whatever can read BRDs and write DVDs.

Target is next week because I'll finally have the apartment and the beer fridge to myself. I originally thought about the black version but now the aluminum one seems a bit more stylish (and more of a classic Lian Li).

Props to everyone who has contributed to this thread, your experience and advice has been invaluable. If I can pull this off, I hope mine can be helpful as well.

After a week of serious edumacation, here is what I am thinking of for my Q11 build. I gravitated towards this case precisely because it is small and unobtrusive and therefore can blend in without drawing much attention. I live in the city so space is a premium, my "computer desk" is also my breakfast table, so let's just say compactness is a prerequisite. My needs are primarily for a linux development workstation, which means write code, watch it compile, and test out various servers, but I also want/need to dual boot into win7 for the occasional gaming break.

PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W has enough power and is only 140mm vs. the 160mm of most PSUs in this class. With this case, I fully expect 2cm to make a big difference. I want ample airflow from the front case fan without a massive power supply brick blocking it. I have also decided to go non-modular, because the modular plugs actually make things worse by adding extra length due to the connections.
CPU: i5-2500. For me, OCing is not a big deal and in the Q11 probably not advisable, so no reason for the k-series. I debated going i3 since that is really all the proc power I need, but the i5 is really the sweet spot right now so there's no reason to be a wuss. Besides, I'd feel awful if I got an i3 and still had bad temps in the case. At least with an i5 if I have temp problems I can at least feel like it's worth it. Plus, from what I've heard the i5 stock cooler beats the i3.
Mobo: Asus P8H67-I Deluxe. Purely on brand affinity, I know nothing of Zotac or ASRock so I'd prefer the devil I know. Gigabyte has been my preferred mobo vendor for a long time, but reviews of their H67 board have been lackluster. Also, wifi on the Asus is a nice bonus.
GPU: 460. For purely religious reasons, I prefer Nvidia and the 460 is the best price for performance. In fact I don't need half it's performance, but there's no point in dropping down to a previous generation, because the 460 runs cooler and with less power. The 5 series is too expensive and still doesn't beat the 460.
Storage: 160GB Intel 320 series SSD plus a 1TB spinner. 7200 for me, I can't stand those slow laptop "green" drives.

Target is next week because I'll finally have the apartment and the beer fridge to myself. I originally thought about the black version but now the aluminum one seems a bit more stylish (and more of a classic Lian Li).

Props to everyone who has contributed to this thread, your experience and advice has been invaluable. If I can pull this off, I hope mine can be helpful as well.

I have used the Gigabyte H67N in my Q11 build. A few people have noted on this thread that it has recieved somepoor reviews, but all of the reviews I have found of it seem quite positive. Could you point me in the direction of those reviews you speak of?

yeah, its only 140mm, but the cable ends are going to add to that total. I got the S12II in my Q07 working just great.

How are GPU temps for everyone? My GTX570 HD is running idle at about 40-45 degrees and under stress at about 88 degrees ( after 30 minutes or so playing Witcher 2 with almost everything maxed)! I should tweak the fan speeds but it starts getting pretty loud sitting beside me. The H50 makes sure my CPUs never go over 55 but the GPU temp seems alarming. There really isn't a lot of air flow given all the cables I had to bunch around it in the case – maybe should tie the remaining cables together with a zip tie.

PS. I'll be updating with some video and pics soon that I took during my build process. And thanks a lot to Tweakzz for his thorough build explanation.

I'm looking to build a pc with this case for my sister but they are quite pricey.. anyone know where i can get one for pretty cheap price?

If you don't want the front fan, and maybe a little less space inside, the Q07 is a potential alternative.

Does anyone have any idea why the front panel USB connectors on this case are just connected to internal USB cables which I guess you plug into the back of your mobo? I really need a way to get those front usbs to use usb headers on the mobo like most cases.

Does anyone have any idea why the front panel USB connectors on this case are just connected to internal USB cables which I guess you plug into the back of your mobo? I really need a way to get those front usbs to use usb headers on the mobo like most cases.
If I understood your question correctly, this is b/c at the time mobo's weren't offering USB3.0 headers, the only USB3.0 ports to be found were on the back (I/O) side of the mobo.

If I understood your question correctly, this is b/c at the time mobo's weren't offering USB3.0 headers, the only USB3.0 ports to be found were on the back (I/O) side of the mobo.

Hmm I see. Is there any way to modify the cables so they plug into headers?

My pc-q11a case came with an adapter for those internal usb cables. The adapter has 2 female USB ports to a 7 or 9 pin or whatever output that attaches to your motherboard. I know, it seems a bit odd though. Why wouldn't they just make this a cable that plus directly into the motherboard. The USB cables inside the case are excessively long also - they take up so much space.

Lian-li is also manufacturing the UC-01, which is an adapter to convert usb 3.0 headers into usb 3.0 internal ports. link

My only beef with the UC-01 is that it is wide enough to block adjacent headers on the motherboard. If there was a USB3.0 cable extender it would be one thing, but those do not seem to exist (yet).

Lian-li is also manufacturing the UC-01, which is an adapter to convert usb 3.0 headers into usb 3.0 internal ports. link

Interesting. I guess it depends on the mobo if that interferes with other headers.

Just be careful when buying ram for the board, I avoided it because it uses SO-DIMMs(204-pin), and ended up going with Zotac board(though still have a penchant for ths ASRock, I got the Zotac for $100 otd w/ newegg)

I finally am going to build a new desktop, been using laptops for the last 7 years. I'm planning a SFF build in the Q11:

This is for work (office, illustrator, mathematica) and some gaming (mostly urban terror). I would like to be able to play at 1440P on a 27" screen. I don't plan on overclocking. I will be running Windows 7 for now as I really need office/endnote for work otherwise I would probably go with Linux (I run Ubuntu on my laptop but virtualizing for office is too much of a pain).

I'm pretty close to a microcenter in chicago so I can grab the CPU from there. I wasn't sure if the Intel 320 SSD was the best buy at the moment or if I should go for a SATA III model (new Corsair?, I'll keep reading in the data storage forum).

I don't need any spindles as I have a 5TB Server in my apartment where I store my files. I'll keep the files I'm working on on the SSD locally as gigabit Ethernet just doesn't cut it.

My budget it around $1000 +/- 100. I'm not really sure about the video card, there might be something better value... Also, I chose an SFX psu to save space but maybe I should go with a beefier ATX model.

I was hoping the experts here could take a look at what I have so far:

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W SFX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

LIAN LI PC-Q11A Silver Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case

Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G310 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm Case Fan

Scythe Samurai ZZ HSF (good idea?)

2x Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 991770

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I know you mentioned that you don't plan to overclock ... so H67 mobo is probably ok ... but then do you really need an aftermarket cooler? Also, I'm not sure Samurai ZZ (94mm +25mm fan) will fit even with a SFX PSU. Consider the likes of Thermalright AXP-140 if you want to go aftermarket in pursuit of quietness.

On the video, GTX 460 may be a better value (definitely if you could live with 768MB version).

With memory being as cheap as it is (and it sounds like virtualization is always on the table for you), you probably want 8GB right away. Most brands will do, there's nothing special about Mushkin (= look at the price tag first)

Last edited:
I know you mentioned that you don't plan to overclock ... so H67 mobo is probably ok ... but then do you really need an aftermarket cooler? Also, I'm not sure Samurai ZZ (94mm +25mm fan) will fit even with a SFX PSU. Consider the likes of Thermalright AXP-140 if you want to go aftermarket in pursuit of quietness.

On the video, GTX 460 may be a better value (definitely if you could live with 768MB version).

With memory being as chip as it is (and it sounds like virtualization is always on the table for you), you probably want 8GB right away. Most brands will do, there's nothing special about Mushkin (= look at the price tag first)

I had meant to get 8gb just forgot the 2x! I've had good luck with mushkin and its pretty cheap, got the same stuff in my little server.

Thanks for the HSF advice and I'll take a look at the GTX 460.

With memory being as cheap as it is (and it sounds like virtualization is always on the table for you), you probably want 8GB right away. Most brands will do, there's nothing special about Mushkin (= look at the price tag first)

I would definitely go with the GTX 460

I had meant to get 8gb just forgot the 2x! I've had good luck with mushkin and its pretty cheap, got the same stuff in my little server.

Thanks for the HSF advice and I'll take a look at the GTX 460.

Just to chime in here, I can vouch for both Mushkin RAM and the GTX 460 as I use both in both of my builds (separately).

I just finished cutting out a 120mm fan hole on the bottom of my PC-Q11B.

It is directly below an MSI R6850 Cyclone PE.

At the moment I have the video card's fan removed and have a ducted NoiseBlocker BlaskSilentPRO PWM immediately below the heatsink. The fan is controlled by the video card.

I'll take pictures later once I figure out what fan configuration works best. :D

Same here! Pics please. That might not be a bad idea for a future mod. My gpu temps get quite high when stressed - high 80s!

So far my temperatures suck with the video card fanless. I guess the heatsink fins are too close together, plus there isn't much surface area.

I'll put the video card fan back and keep both fans controlled by the video card, while I look for possible aftermarket coolers that fit both the card and the case.

The hard drive tray is removed. I have my SSD mounted above the optical drive.

The mod itself turned out well. It looks stock and doesn't need any u-channel molding to cover imperfections. I am a perfectionist with this sort of thing. :D

Back