New Lian Li case TYR PC-X500

It doesn't.

Lucky for me I never liked them. I've owned a fair number of LLs, and the build quality of them just doesn't compare with the PC-X500 and above cases. The X2000 is a little large for most people :(

Thanks for the info, too bad, I guess I can cross this one out of the list as far as cases go.

I figured that the X500 was just a smaller version of the 2000 which does have a removable motherboard tray.

Looks like I have to look elsewhere as the 2000 Lian Li is just too big.

Why they did not accommodate a removable mobo tray for the X500 is a mystery.

If anyone has any suggestions for alternatives that is along the lines of the X500 in looks and size but more features especially a removable tray let me know.

I just got my X500 yesterday and I'm super excited. I'm considering watercooling it sometime in the near future as well. Does anyone know if it's possible to mount a 240 radiator on the INSIDE where the fans are and relocate the fans to the OUTSIDE of the case? I figure doing it this way so that I won't have to drill holes to accommodate the barbs/fittings if the radiator was on the inside. Also, let's assume I can put the rad on the inside and fans on the outside, will this make a difference in terms of heat transfer versus the other way around?

Well, the front fans aren't a standard distance apart, so may need to use two individual rads. Installing fans on the outside would mean removing some pieces of the front panel that are riveted on as well as keeping the front cover off. Plus the case isn't very deep, so may not be able to fit a full size graphics card as well as fans+rad. I've seen some people with a watercooled X500, though can't remember how they pulled it off. May need to look around :)

Well, the front fans aren't a standard distance apart, so may need to use two individual rads. Installing fans on the outside would mean removing some pieces of the front panel that are riveted on as well as keeping the front cover off. Plus the case isn't very deep, so may not be able to fit a full size graphics card as well as fans+rad. I've seen some people with a watercooled X500, though can't remember how they pulled it off. May need to look around :)

Hmm... I didn't even think about the fans not being the right distance apart. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sure going with 2 radiators on the inside with 2 fans on the outside will work as long as I take out the bracket on the outside that is holding the filter panel. The cover should also be able to go over the fans as well since it's only 25mm and I've seen people put 30mm radiators on the outside.

Now in terms of reservoir and pump placement, any ideas? I plan on cooling CPU and my GTX285 only on a single loop.

Side note: I've look all over the internet and have found very very little info on people that have built on the X500 case, especially with water cooling... perhaps I should start a build log ;)

OK, I have reduced the hum to a minimum by connecting all four case fans to the controller on the front panel. Originally, I had the rear fans at full throttle. I have noticed that the upper rear fan was the biggest culprit. Perhaps I will leave all four fans on "medium" and switch to "high" when gaming, if needed.

So, for those of you that are not using a third-party fan controller, how are you connecting your case fans (MB headers, front-panel controller, Molex adapter, etc.), and what observations have you made regarding noise/cooling? Has anyone replaced the stock fans to their advantage?

I've replaced all four Lian Li fans with Nexus fans (attached with silicone mounts), connected to the front-panel controller. I run them at the low setting which keep them virtually inaudible while still keeping the inside of the case cool.

I replaced all four of mine with the Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S3HS fans and they're great! Stay tuned as I finish my build. Will post a link to pics soon. It's sad to find only a limited amount of people with this case but then again, that can be a good thing :p

The included fans are fine if you don't care about silence, they actually push a decent amount of air... they're just not silent...

And so far the only fans I've had that are truly silent are some Gelid 80mm's that were running at 5vt...

But my HTPC is literally silent now and has 3 fan's running to keep the E5200 cool.. you simply can-not hear it unless your ear is a foot away from it, and even then it's hard to make out.. if you just start it up you might here the fans spin up, but beyond that you can't tell if the system is running (no LED's either)... I like it :D

Whats your thoughts on the abs 595? Although its a cut down x2000 I thought I might ask here. Besides the obvious that its ungodly expensive.

Looks very nice. Was tempted to get an X2000 for my next build, but it was a little larger than I liked since I only ever use 2 HDDs and a single PSU, the ABS 595 seems to fit the bill.

I actually bought a 595 a few days ago from here, It should be here Monday. I think I may post a few pics once I get everything installed.

Well this isn't a x500 but it's close its an abs 595. I still have some cable management left to do and pay no attention to the tape on the reservoir, its a temp and there is sealant under the tape.

DSCF1540.jpg

DSCF1545.jpg

DSCF1546.jpg

wow that is sexy, the dual zone should really impress those of us who are stuck air cooling :p and yea monkey, hide that res :p

I Know a 5970 would fit in my 595 but I am unsure about the x500

Last edited:
A 595 is a x500, for some odd reason the x500 is only sold in the USA under the ABS Canyon 595 name.

A 595 is a x500, for some odd reason the x500 is only sold in the USA under the ABS Canyon 595 name.

That is incorrect, look at my case a few posts up, then look at all of the other cases, the 595 is a modified x2000.

Does anyone else think this case is flimsy? I just opened it up today and don't have anything in it yet, but it just seems like it can twist easily.
I agree, It was way to flimsy for me. The front pops off way way too easily... I got rid of mine a year ago because of the flimsiness of the case.

Mine doesn't feel flimsy?

So far it's the best case I've owned. I love working with it. Managing cables is great. For what I need and do it just works. Plus, working inside Lian-Li's is always a generally better experience. If I had any complaints it's that the PSU size is a factor, as well as the sides don't sit on 100% flush. Although I ended up putting a foam seal around the edges for noise dampening and that doesn't help the problem.

I can't see myself changing cases for quite some time. :)

Is it possible to use PWM fans since the lian li fans are not realy silent. I ask this because the PWM fans i have in mind are the Noiseblocker NB-Blacksilent XLP - PWM. But it uses a 4-pin, while the lian li fans use 3-pin. Is it possible to connect the 4-pin noiseblocker to the fan controller of the case and still adjust the speed? Hope this is not a silly question i already have the case still waiting for my final parts of watercooling. I will post pictures here when done.

Could someone please help me i would be very happy:)

Thanks in advance

For all those that have this, where are you ordering from / how much are you paying? I'm going to do eyefinity, and the side 5.25 drive enclosures are perfect for my workspace

They were discontinued last year so the are really hard to find new. if you really want one go with a abs 595, they are pretty expensive though.

Last edited:
Yeah i saw on newegg, i could almost get over the price, but then they bone you on shipping too!

Anyone know of any other case options with side facing external 5.25?

I may be posting mine up for sale to anyone interested. This is after I find another suitable case for my needs.

Am i at the wrong place for questions about this case? See my previous question on the same page....

The fan controller is out of place on the case, behind the case door. It's better to get a fan controller so you can adjust each one individually.

The fan controller is out of place on the case, behind the case door. It's better to get a fan controller so you can adjust each one individually.

Thanks for the reply,

I dont mind the placement of the fan controller my main concern is if i could connect a PWM fan wich has a 4-pin onto the fan controller of the case wich uses a 3-pin connector and still adjust the speed....Or should i use some sort of cable?

You can use a converter. Sites like Newegg, FrozenCPU and Performance PCs should have them.

Thanks for the headsup,

I think i found the solution if i use a fan controller wich uses 3-pin and i also use 3-pin fans i could connect the fans into the fancontroller. The fan controller will lower the speed of the fan by lowering the voltage. I could not find any fancontroller with 4-pin so i abandon the pwm fans.

Here is my setup and i'm happy with the results its also my first watercooling rig. And the case itself is just awesome! Still need to leaktest it inside the case. I already leaktested it outside the case. I did no modding except drilling a hole for the reservoir. Took my time for cable management thats it.

Ps sorry the photos are not the best. Taken with a 2 mega pixel phone cam but the pics dont do the rig much good, its not clear, sharp, good contrast.

4513558708_b7122acb3b_o.jpg

4513558828_cf29d6b753_o.jpg

4512916641_0d0d7228f0_o.jpg

4513559160_395f694654_o.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps a silly question, but are there pre-drilled holes for installing the V-Series wheels on this?

Does anyone know the specs of the fans that this case comes with? I'd like to know rpm, db, cfm please

I agree, It was way to flimsy for me. The front pops off way way too easily... I got rid of mine a year ago because of the flimsiness of the case.

yeah...lian li cases are pretty flimsy. I don't feel the same about their older v series cases though.

I'm starting to appreciate the unibody construction of my FT02 more and more....

Anyone interested in this case? I'm looking to go bigger but can't purchase until I know this one is out the door as I'll be using those funds to go bigger!

Anyone interested in this case? I'm looking to go bigger but can't purchase until I know this one is out the door as I'll be using those funds to go bigger!

Maybe... as a place-holder until I buy an x900... haha...

I gotta sell off the other 3 full-towers I have in my garage though, and some other stuff first.

Back