New Lian Li case TYR PC-X500

Hi guys,

Just recieved my Lian Li case last Friday. Spent the weekend to get it up and running.
I've got some pictures of it. Here we go......

Do you like spaghetti?

LL_PCX500_1.jpg

Struggling to get that right side panel closed.......check and done!

LL_PCX500_2.jpg

I wasn't really pleased with the fans at low speed (still too noisy) I have them running at 5V now and I was surprised I still got low enough temps. So the next shot is very appropriate :D

LL_PCX500_4.jpg

Left panel ready aswell........

LL_PCX500_3.jpg

All things come to an end...I'm pleased with the result :D

LL_PCX500_5.jpg

Btw, I did use the PSU extender (not shown on pictures)

can someone please measure where the PSU lies flush against the back of the case to the lower 2 HD mounts?

I am trying to figure out what is the max size PSU I can fit inside without using the brackets

@Brains

I like your setup. have fun with the cables. It seems the box is very cable manageable.

Would be interesting to see how much space we have between the front fans and the back of that GTX...

Wondering how big of a 240mm rad I could fit there... or I wonder if there's enough height for a 360 (Even if it doesn't line-up exactly with the fans... front can be cut or similar) or hide it inside of the front panel ? hehe...
I love the case, and want to build an x58 with it... and WC cool it all internally... looks like it'll be even harder than the A05 I did
Anyone mind measuring? <3

EDIT: Spent a little more time browsing and found this http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/ozcity/rad2.jpg

So it looks like that's an option too ;)

Still curious if a 240 would fit between the fans and GTX (I'm guessing not =( ) but atleast that lets me cut into the case and stick a 360 in there and 120mm on the back... :D

Last edited:
Thanks to the guy posting the pics with the water cooling,kinda stole ya idea,but we are using the abs canyon case here is videos =)..my friend tjharlow is doing the build for me and i gave him the idea from this thread so far so good

skips to 4 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhZ_h9SaExw

^ all the parts being used in the rig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwbSiCKjM0o

^ skips to 3 mins holes being cut etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oemGQCtBamo

^rad being mounted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK-4vZqdBYY

^ d0 i7 920 lapped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvb_ENnv41U

^ almost done with the rig =)

here is some pics also

DSCF2903.jpg

DSCF2896.jpg

DSCF2895.jpg

DSCF2894.jpg

DSCF2919.jpg

Question is how would this perform temp wise seeing as it has no fans on the rad?

@deelz

His hard drives are at the bottom chamber, his case is the X2000 which has an extra chamber

bottom chamber like that guy said

anyone know if the guy that first mounted his rad in the front still lurks this board i want to know what sort of temps he got having it mounted like that?

more vids/pics to come

side panel going on today

my case should be coming Tuesday, will post pics once I get everything together.

Nice build CryHunter. Do you know if a 7.5 inch PSU will fit with the lower HD mounts in use?

@deelz

No go, I'm afraid. My PSU is 7" and I had to use the PSU extender. There's one guy using motherboard spacers on the backplate for the PSU to get some extra space but even then I don't think it will fit.

Nope. This is a great case but I wish the sides were a little bit sturdier. They rattle and whine sometimes. Can't figure out where the vibration is coming from :(

Sorry guys, I haven't the time to read through the thread, but how's the noise level on this case with the stock fans?

Even at the lowest speed I still found them too noisy. I have them running at 5V :D now and they're whisperquiet and the temps are fine. Maybe I'll buy Noctua's later but for now they're fine.

I somehow just got this case off of amazon for 309.99 and I had a 100 dollar gift certificate I got from my college.

228.48 shipped.

I'm super excited. I've been looking over Lian Li cases for months and somehow never found this case. I fell in love with it instantly, bought it 30 minutes later.
My biggest beef was that there wasn't a Lian Li case with every feature I wanted. Each case was missing 1 or 2 things. This one on the other hand is, dare I say, perfect? (for me)

Does anyone else think this case is flimsy? I just opened it up today and don't have anything in it yet, but it just seems like it can twist easily.

Does anyone else think this case is flimsy? I just opened it up today and don't have anything in it yet, but it just seems like it can twist easily.

Yes the sides are a bit thin and didn't have the "solid" feel I was expecting, although I don't think it twists that easily. Regardless, now that I've covered the sides, bottom and top of the case in soundproofing, it's fine.

Mine would twist a good inch just by putting my hand on the top of the case and pushing back and forth. I'm returning it and getting the A70B. Plus, at least on my mobo, with SLI, the bottom card would get 0 airflow from the bottom fan because it is the last slot on the bottom.

If anyone is discontent with their case (x500) let me know as I am looking for one.

I am looking to purchase a x500 in the near future so PM me if this applies to you.

Have had the case for a while, but might as well post the pics as everyone else is. Have shown the sound proofing I've done as well as pictures of the cabling on the back side of the case as well ;) I've actually found the case to be very cable friendly and allows for a neat build without much effort.

The case itself:
IMGP0116.jpg

The front.
- Note the Lian Li DVD/CD case cover. I highly recommend it as it hides your DVD drives very effectively. (Lian-Li should have included it with the case though).
- As for the cabling, I considered "hiding" the cables like what others did, especially on the left hand side. The soundproofing material I used gave me even more opportunities to really hide the wires, but sometimes it's actually nice to see where the cables come from and where they go, so decided to just tidy them up.
- The fans in the front are Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm's running undervolted and quiet. They're attached to the case only by silicone fan mounts, so no direct plastic on metal occurs. The rear fans are 120mm Gentle Typhoons, also running slow and quiet. Had to use real screws to attach them unfortunately, but the silicone case fan vibration absorbers are pretty good. The PSU also uses silicone vibration absorbers. And if you look carefully, you'll see that the HDD's are mounted using silicone anti-vibes because the ones that Lian Li provides are poor.
- As for airflow, I found it excellent. I've tidied things up so nothing inteferes with airflow to both the CPU and the GPU. And I don't need to bother with a fan on the heatsink of my overclocked i7.
IMGP0117.jpg

The back. Surprisingly, I found that little effort was needed to keep it relatively tidy. I could have done a bit more but not really worth it:
IMGP0170.jpg

Double soundproofing (this is on top of the existing sound padding). Supplemented by more soundproofing inside the case itself (not shown). It might not look like a lot, but about 5 pounds of extra sound proofing has been added in addition to the existing Lian-Li padding. It is hard to see in the pictures, but there are multiple layers of the sound proofing in many places, especially near areas that normally generate active noise. The case has a sturdy and very solid feel now. And it's quiet.
IMGP0171.jpg

Last edited:
I am looking to purchase this case used from these boards for ~$200 OBO, so;

If you are looking to sell this case or know someone who is, please send me a PM.

I want to buy this case used.
If you or anyone you know wants to sell it used for a reasonble price, please send me a PM.

Hi folks,

Seems its better to post it here since there is a topic about the case.
Since i ordered this case and want to watercool it. Wich i already did research on it.
Exept i made a little mistake in regards of the 360rad wich i think should not gove fine temps on the i7 920 oc and a gtx260 together. So i opted for a 120rad to be placed at the exhaust fan of the case.

Please is there some one with the same case that could measure the distance between exhaust fan and the edge. See picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4173419...21537/sizes/o/

This is very important in order to fit the single120mm radiator.
I did the measurement it must not exseed 2.9mm (distance between fan and edge). So if some one could cut a pease of sturdy thick paper of 2.9mm in hight this needs to be exact! And place it at sector A between fan and edge. Is there some one who's willing to do this for me? I would be very very gratefull, hopefully i have some little room to spare even if its 1mm. (if possible measure the distance between fan and roof sector B)

Thanks in advance

What an awesome, informative thread!

This is my first post on hardforum. I have just ordered two of these cases, one for my wife and one for me. I spent many weeks evaluating current options and feel good about my choice. I haven't been this excited about a case since my days with Cray. I don't have anything to add yet, but I will definitely share my thoughts and experiences once they arrive.

I would buy this case, but I do not know if my Corsair H50 can pass.
I have a eVGA X58 Classified motherboard, and my Corsair H50 can't pass when i put him with the fan inside the case :

pca05b1.png

pca05b3.png

But it works when I put the fan outside, the radiator doesn't touch the motherboard heatsink :

pca05b2.png

Can someone tell me how many centimeters are between the case and the fan :

x500.png

OK, both of my cases came in today. I haven't installed any components yet, but here is my first impression of the case:

This case was clearly designed by real engineers. I own two Mercedes-Benz auto's, and I can't help but to compare them to this case. It's the incredible amount of engineering that has gone in to the little things that make both my cars and this case a pleasure. The build quality (while obviously lighter than steel), is much more solid than I was expecting. There is no "twist", etc. My biggest worry is fingerprints.

The thing that probably impresses me the most (besides the overall concept that must surely be good for air flow), is the care that has gone into the filtering system.

The case just exudes quality.

I have no empirical observations to share regarding cooling or performance, yet. I won't post any pictures, as others have already done so; however, I will say that that, as good as it looks in the pictures that have been posted, this case truly does look even better in person.

The side panels are a little tricky to put back on, but they fit nice and snug.

BTW: To answer the previous poster's question, the distance between the front wall and the rear fan is 31 cm.

Last edited:
I finished my wife's build. Cable management was a breeze. Case is nice and cool with fans on medium. Volume on "low" didn't sound any quieter, probably because of the GTX 275.

Only cons:

1) ODD installation is almost inexcusably draconian. Sideways placement is fine, actually works very well for my situation. But, the top rear drive bay must be removed to access the screw lanes, and slightly shaky hands or Murphy's Law will easily result in screws falling into the case during installation.

4) I used a Lian Li generic ODD drive stealth cover. Although it looks and works great, I am having issues with the side panel cutout not lining up perfectly with it. This results in the side of the cover scraping against the panel when opening/closing. I believe I can tweak it enough to solve this problem, but it is a major PITA.

3) While fairly quiet, there is definitely a hum. I may need to look into adding material. Maybe replacing the stock fans with Noctuas or something similar would also help. Luckily, there are absolutely no squeaks or rattles.

Other than the negatives listed above, this case has been a real pleasure with which to work.

How large a graphics card can this case fit? I was about to order one from dell last week but I did not and cannot remember why. I think I decided to wait for the Ft02 but that is becoming increasingly difficult. I just got back into photography and my old xps 720 is not cutting it anymore.

3) While fairly quiet, there is definitely a hum. I may need to look into adding material. Maybe replacing the stock fans with Noctuas or something similar would also help. Luckily, there are absolutely no squeaks or rattles.

Other than the negatives listed above, this case has been a real pleasure with which to work.

My setup had a really loud hum which i couldnt trace for ages. I then started moving the hard drive around and found it to be much quieter at the top of the harddrive cage like so:-

SDC10012.jpg

OK, I have reduced the hum to a minimum by connecting all four case fans to the controller on the front panel. Originally, I had the rear fans at full throttle. I have noticed that the upper rear fan was the biggest culprit. Perhaps I will leave all four fans on "medium" and switch to "high" when gaming, if needed.

So, for those of you that are not using a third-party fan controller, how are you connecting your case fans (MB headers, front-panel controller, Molex adapter, etc.), and what observations have you made regarding noise/cooling? Has anyone replaced the stock fans to their advantage?

GOod to see this thread back to life! Anyone looking to buy one? I might be selling mine soon

GOod to see this thread back to life! Anyone looking to buy one? I might be selling mine soon

Should have contacted me a a few months ago ><
I still want one of these cases badly, even though I happy with my new v2000b...

Does anyone know if this PC-X500 has a removable motherboard tray?

This would be a deal breaker for me if it does not have a removable tray for the mobo.
I understand that the 2000 full size version does.

I am hoping that the PC-X500 indeed has one.
I noticed there was no mention of this feature yet so I am suspecting that it doesn't.

For the price it should.

Back