New LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS

not that much sum guy tested several games on it most fast action games like faer stalker and assins greed played great (so far from what i could understand) but with assins creed at one sort of temple he had a problem of sum blur but he wasnt sure if it was the game itself or the monitor but he thinks its the game hey says the coloursare amazing espicially with stalker when he palyed at 1900x1200 he felt he was really in the game it showed how much WOW factor this monitor has caus of its size and high contrast.. thats what i could understand so far...

Just bought the W2600H-PF model last night at BB and took it home for a spin. Quick review:
It's definitely a TN panel! Backlight bleed was really quite uniform and I was very pleased! So not a con in my book about the backlight. It definitely wasn't like the five different Gateway 2400's that had the progressive and irreversible backlight bleed. No HDMI was irritating. No component inputs. Mine came with a DVI cable. No dead pixels.

Overall, the monitor was good and in my opinion is worth the $550+tax I paid for it at BB. However, I currently have a Dell 2707wfp that I purchase from Costco just under three months ago and it simply blows the LG out of the water. The extra cash spent is worth it in my book! Better panel, waayyy better viewing angles, more inputs, fantastic color reproduction, very good looking and slightly bigger in size.

I didn't play with the LG that much simply because I couldn't stand not using my Dell. I tried the LG hoping I would love it and bring back the Dell and save some money, but the trade off just isn't worth it.

Word out.

Just bought the W2600H-PF model last night at BB and took it home for a spin. Quick review:
It's definitely a TN panel! Backlight bleed was really quite uniform and I was very pleased! So not a con in my book about the backlight. It definitely wasn't like the five different Gateway 2400's that had the progressive and irreversible backlight bleed. No HDMI was irritating. No component inputs. Mine came with a DVI cable. No dead pixels.

Overall, the monitor was good and in my opinion is worth the $550+tax I paid for it at BB. However, I currently have a Dell 2707wfp that I purchase from Costco just under three months ago and it simply blows the LG out of the water. The extra cash spent is worth it in my book! Better panel, waayyy better viewing angles, more inputs, fantastic color reproduction, very good looking and slightly bigger in size.

I didn't play with the LG that much simply because I couldn't stand not using my Dell. I tried the LG hoping I would love it and bring back the Dell and save some money, but the trade off just isn't worth it.

Word out.

W2600H-PF is TN

W2600HP-BF is S-IPS (the UK has the price tag to match)

yup true in holland W2600HP-BF (s-ips model) is 50 less then the dell/samsung 27 inch the TN model is alot cheaper omg jsut 2 more weeks and finally will have it in my arms :)

One of the first reviews of LG W2600HP has been published in the Computer Review Magazine (Ukraine, Eastern Europe).
This short review reports all the advantages of IPS panel, max. contrast ratio 950:1; min. brightness of white 170cd/m2; max brightness 400 cd/m2; good responsiveness.
The reviewer complaints about:
- Pretty bad banding due to (possibly) cheap electronics the manufacturer uses for this monitor.
- Limited connectivity - only one digital input.
- Minimal brightness is unacceptably high that limits the use of this monitor to as a public display / simple entertainment (games and video from PC) only.
Available for ~ $950.
Here is the link where you can download their sample ICM profile for the LG W2600HP and the instruction where to click to download.

Hello,

short question to the owners of the W2600HP - the IPS-model. A friend of me has bought one (Germany), but unexpectable and surprising the viewing angels are pretty bad. He bought and paid :D the IPS-Version, but it seems, that he had received the TN-Model. May be the seller betrayed him--looks like an russian re-import...

What are your ecxperiences with the viewing angels? The IPS model cannot change so quick its colors, that is technical impossible.

Thanks folks.

@albovin

Thank you for bringing this review to our attention. It seems that there are issues with this monitor as well. In the second link you provided there is a profile for the LG W3000H. Did they review this monitor as well?
Could you give us an idea of their verdict? Thanks again.

I have to make a fast decision to take this monitor or not. Can you please tell me what are other things mentioned in review? Are these problems with banding and display lightning realy that bad, or is this just a little dissadvantage in comparison with other expensive monitors? What are the positive things mentioned in review and do they recommend this monitor?
Any aditional information would help me.

@albovin

Thank you for bringing this review to our attention. It seems that there are issues with this monitor as well. In the second link you provided there is a profile for the LG W3000H. Did they review this monitor as well?
Could you give us an idea of their verdict? Thanks again.

Yes, they did.
Their findings are:
The monitor is technically a plain panel with just one input and brightness regulator.
Min. brightness 120cd/m2
Max. brightness 390cd/m2
Contrast ratio 860:1
No banding
Color accuracy better than 2600 but calibration required
Backlight uniformity issue
Color uniformity (across the panel) issue
Good responsiveness
No overdrive artefacts, no ghosting
Local price - $1780 (OMG)
Verdict is very positive for gaming/entertainment.
The monitor is incompatible with standart color gamut images so any kind of color-important use is limited to Adobe RGB sphere (+ calibrator).

I have to make a fast decision to take this monitor or not. Can you please tell me what are other things mentioned in review? Are these problems with banding and display lightning realy that bad, or is this just a little dissadvantage in comparison with other expensive monitors? What are the positive things mentioned in review and do they recommend this monitor?
Any aditional information would help me.

The review (2600HP) is really short. Very close to what I have retold.
To add:
Backlight/color homogeneity is OK.
Color accuracy - average.
Good responsiveness, no overdrive artefacts, no ghosting.
Banding - noticable problem, not just less than perfect in comparison with high end monitors.
They say that the monitor is very good for PC gaming if you are ready to close your eyes on other issues.

About brightness. If we admit that their measurements are correct, minimal 170cd/m2 brightness is very bad. This figure is technically very bad.

Thank you albovin for this report. I was almost decided to take it, but now I will wait till another week and hope to get another review or another good alternative for this monitor.
Do you think color accuracy and bending in comparision with two years old 19" inch Samsung LCD 931MP (TFT-PVA) (I use it on my brothers computer) are worse?
I like games, but I am also studing graphics so now I am confused.
Can you advise me a better monitor for similar price?

I have not heared for that company before. Unfortunately, it is not avalible in Slovenia and England is too far to go for me now.

Anyway; I do not now how this values reflect in reality but brothers Samsung has 250 cd/m2 in specifications and it isnt so bright for me. I also searched for test of my mobile PCs screens and I wound this:
White 158.45 cd/m2 - is that the same information (word "white" confused me) ?

So I have read test of different monitors and non of them are appropriate. Some expencive, some are not avalible, some have problem with response, many are TN-s and so on. It is really making me nervous, becose I just ordered a computer, which I probably get next week but I havent ordered a monitor yet - but I reserved LG yesterday until next week, when I will have to make a final decision.

I'm also confused with the minimum brightness level (this is black level is it not?), does anyone have any references to other monitors for example the NEC 2490 or 2690 etc...

setoman im in exactly the same situation as u next week the final parts of the pc arrive and need to choose a monitor then and want sumthing 26 inch or bigger LG could be it for me caus i will be most concerned about ghosting at those sizes .. but wondering in how much the coulours and brightness will affect it..

well i decided not to go for the s-ips of LG and took the dive with the 27 inch of dell and to be honest i LOVE the dell ... its huge but yet really comfortable (sitting 1 meter away sooo nice :p) and thru sum testing at a website (ill try to find the link again and post it) it shows it certainly has lagg and when really searching for it u can see it, but it doesnt trouble me at all when gaming. to be honest i probably would never noticed it with gaming until those tests.. so far all in all if still ppl or not sure which one to take and so far i havent seen any interviews yet with LG one (which still troubles me a little) i would say try the dell or smasung 27 inch(same panel- but dell does look alot sweeter then the samsung one and has as extra a 5 in 1 card reader) it really is worth it unless ur one of those "1 ms is too much!!!" type of person soo i made my choice how about the rest anyone got the LG one yet ??

This is really a strange monitor. No reviews so far (at least I found none on the net), no photos. And reported minimum white brightness 170cd/m2 is a real eye killer. The recommended value is 140 and currently I often go even lower, especially when I'm tired.
AFAIK LG is known for producing rather ... reasonably priced monitors, but it is outweight byt using not so excellent electronics etc.

Edit: I found this discussion about the monitor also with some screens, but it is in German, which I don't speak:
http://www.prad.de/board/thread.php?threadid=38633&sid=a78c782b52f5e382cfcaa70984e86837

But Google translator can help there :)
http://translate.google.cz/translat...82cfcaa70984e86837&sl=de&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

And reported minimum white brightness 170cd/m2 is a real eye killer. The recommended value is 140 and currently I often go even lower, especially when I'm tired.

im just starting to look at monitors.... so the lower the cd/m2 is the better?

im looking at the VIEWSONIC VX2835WM which is 500cd/m2????

IMO lower cd/m2 is better, but marketing nits like to have higher numbers to quote.

I haven't seen any LCD with max brightness above 350cd/m2 that didnt' hurt my eyes. Even the Dell 3007-HC with 300cd/m2 max is too bright on minimum.

But this is subjective and relative to how bright your usage environment is.

thanks for the clarification... plus some searching here on [H] has steered me away from the viewsonic.... so the LG is still on my list then...

im just starting to look at monitors.... so the lower the cd/m2 is the better?

im looking at the VIEWSONIC VX2835WM which is 500cd/m2????

A high maximum value does not mean the monitor is unable to reach a low luminance.
Otherwise be assured that you won't a have problem with monitors being too dark at the max. No, in most cases it is a problem to reach dark enough image to work in a darker enviroment, when your eyes are tired etc.

Edit: ...like mine were the time I was writing this...

High maximum value does not mena th emonitor is unable to reach low luminance.
Otherswise be assured that you won't have problem with monitors being too dark.

Actually the CCFL backlights seem to have limited range and almost every high maximum back light tends to be overly bright on it's low setting. I have owned 4 panels so far. The ones over 300cd/m2 have been too bright even on zero.

If your computer room is fairly dim, you really want to look for a low brightness panel.

Google "LCD too bright" and "LCD too dim". You will get unlimited hits on "too bright" almost none dealing with dim monitors. Even the dimmest LCD is much brighter than a CRT.

Actually the CCFL backlights seem to have limited range and almost every high maximum back light tends to be overly bright on it's low setting. I have owned 4 panels so far. The ones over 300cd/m2 have been too bright even on zero.

If your computer room is fairly dim, you really want to look for a low brightness panel.

Google "LCD too bright" and "LCD too dim". You will get unlimited hits on "too bright" almost none dealing with dim monitors. Even the dimmest LCD is much brighter than a CRT.

Is it so? Yeah, I know light tubes have limited regulation possibilities. At the moment I'm using NEC 2690 which has some additional features to limit brightness despite having maximum luminance 400cd/m2. With brightness 0 and advanced bri. reduction I can work with the monitor even in "completely dark" enviroment.
Well, prad.de (http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html) usually gives even maximum and minimum luminance in its reviews.

Others have mentioned the NEC brightness control works slightly different, long before the control hits zero. It is just applying more blocking with the panel. Which means contrast ratio starts dropping. On the 3090 it was reported that the control background changes color when the back light hits minimum. This happens before the brightness control even hits 50%. Anything below this point is panel blocking.

The problem with this is contrast drops right along with it. It tends to not look quite right. Also on conventional 8 bit LUT panels you are losing range for gamma curve as well (NECs have an internal 12bit LUT that can somewhat compensate).

Here is an example:
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=296&p1=2857&ma2=52&mo2=345&p2=3251&ph=13

Similar panels. One with a powerful backlight, one with a realistic backlight. Look at the black levels and contrast. I know which one I would want.

Others have mentioned the NEC brightness control works slightly different, long before the control hits zero. It is just applying more blocking with the panel. Which means contrast ratio starts dropping. On the 3090 it was reported that the control background changes color when the back light hits minimum. This happens before the brightness control even hits 50%. Anything below this point is panel blocking.

The problem with this is contrast drops right along with it. It tends to not look quite right. Also on conventional 8 bit LUT panels you are losing range for gamma curve as well (NECs have an internal 12bit LUT that can somewhat compensate).

Here is an example:
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=296&p1=2857&ma2=52&mo2=345&p2=3251&ph=13

Similar panels. One with a powerful backlight, one with a realistic backlight. Look at the black levels and contrast. I know which one I would want.

You are right, the contrast drops. But the black level and contrast is not the strongest point of IPS monitor, is it? At least it has other things to compensate it.

You are right, the contrast drops. But the black level and contrast is not the strongest point of IPS monitor, is it? At least it has other things to compensate it.
:)
NEC 2490WUXi
Measured contrast ratio up to 800:1 - still phenomenal for IPS.
This monitor has CR better than many popular *VA/TN.

Contrast ratio remains stable when brightness control goes down from 100% to 0% - no change.
Low brightness mode decreases CR by 50%.
So ~70 cd/m2 of white is still comfortable for dark environement with CR ~400:1
Advanced low brightness mode reduces CR by another 50%.
Minimal brightness of white is ~40 cd/m2

I think IPS panels are the best. I am not arguing against them. But I would much rather have them hooked up with a lower output back light to not destroy what contrast there is when using it a comfortable brightness. Almost no one needs 400-500cd/m2 brightness levels. These numbers are pushed because of marketing and end up creating a much poorer real world panel. Ideally we could choose the backlight power to match our environment/taste, but unfortunately marketing seems to demand 400-500cd/m2 backlights.

I did some seraches on this screen and all I find says viewing angle is 160-170 degrees, which is code for TN panel. You know if it is too good to be true...

Even the doublesight is not verified definitely to be a S-IPS, I only give it a 50/50 shot, I say there is almost zero chance this LG is S-IPS.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...d_name&startnum=1&letter=ALL&pat_P285=21,1000

LG is notorious for actually claiming S-IPS in one place, TN in another. Or changing from S-IPS to TN and keeping the same product name. I would not buy this monitor without seeing one first to verify it's screen type.

Incorrect, the Doublesight IS verified to be an H-IPS, so its an IPS 100 percent... please don't spit out things without knowing :(. And the LG PHILIPS LM260WU1 is NOT for this monitor either as the contrast for this monitor, amongst other things, is clearly different.

I think IPS panels are the best. I am not arguing against them. But I would much rather have them hooked up with a lower output back light to not destroy what contrast there is when using it a comfortable brightness. Almost no one needs 400-500cd/m2 brightness levels. These numbers are pushed because of marketing and end up creating a much poorer real world panel. Ideally we could choose the backlight power to match our environment/taste, but unfortunately marketing seems to demand 400-500cd/m2 backlights.

NEC 2490WUXi
Measured contrast ratio up to 800:1 - still phenomenal for IPS.
This monitor has CR better than many popular *VA/TN.

Contrast ratio remains stable when brightness control goes down from 100% to 0% - no change.
Low brightness mode decreases CR by 50%.
So ~70 cd/m2 of white is still comfortable for dark environement with CR ~400:1
Advanced low brightness mode reduces CR by another 50%.
Minimal brightness of white is ~40 cd/m2

You don't have to convince me, guys :) I went the IPS way ;)
I often have to lower contrast under 50% to reach low luminance, but that does not trouble me, at least it is possible, not like with many other monitors, which are like a sun-lamp.

Hm. So far it does not seem to be many people saying W2600HP is an excellent monitor.

So far it does not seem to be many people saying W2600HP is an excellent monitor.

It does seem that nothing at all is said.
Unfortunately, it's typical for this forum - you can have 10 pages of a thread without anything meaningful on subject.

Unfortunately, it's typical for this forum - you can have 10 pages of a thread without anything meaningful on subject.

You are too pesimnistic, do you know a better monitor discussion forum? :) (Eyah, pred.de is pretty good, but it is in German.)

Da,

Keetaiskee trood, troodyashka.

There are two models of the W2600. One is S-IPS, one is TN. The W2600H-PF is TN, the W2600HP-xx is supposed to be S-IPS. The TN is now in North America. Not sure about the S-IPS.

10e

You are too pesimnistic, do you know a better monitor discussion forum? :)

No, no. I like this forum in general. I have got something really helpful from here. But nevertheless - tons of trash. The public is the public.
I just accept it as it is.

Back